• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2683 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
ceci1980

Price of charts Reply to this Post

Might seem like an odd question, but... I was wondering how the prices of charts sold in Shipyards are determined? Is the length of courses or something of the sort?
----------------------------------------
Cecidrake
Senior Officer of The Lost Lot
Sage Ocean
[Dec 15, 2006 3:40:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

Re: Price of charts Reply to this Post

Might seem like an odd question, but... I was wondering how the prices of charts sold in Shipyards are determined? Is the length of courses or something of the sort?

By how many leages the chart reveals. 2 league chart (it exists, on midnight anyway) are cheap, the longer 5-6 league charts are a good bit more, comparatively.
Yamorg, Captain and Navigator
Founder, Privately Funded Pirates Association©
Midnight Ocean

[14:37:38] Mystere says, "Those without a barnacle , please come aboard the Pretty Gar"

[Dec 15, 2006 4:11:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

There's no know mathematical formula for determining the price of a chart. If you happen to figure out, please let everyone know. :-)
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
[Dec 15, 2006 5:05:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
USCfan

There's no know mathematical formula for determining the price of a chart. If you happen to figure out, please let everyone know. :-)

Know i think there is a Mathmatical formula and here it is E=MC2 :p no i think it is [Distance][16-17]=price of chart this was a vary brief test i did it only involved 5 charts. but their is somehting to start with.
HIIIIII
[Dec 15, 2006 5:20:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
calorifere

Know i think there is a Mathmatical formula and here it is E=MC2 :p no i think it is [Distance][16-17]=price of chart this was a vary brief test i did it only involved 5 charts. but their is somehting to start with.

I investigated the matter for a while (all on Midnight ocean), here's what I found:

1) the price of straight line charts increase linearly with the number of leagues
e.g. Cranberry-Midsummer: 2 diagonal leagues, 42 poe
Cranberry-Eta: 3 diagonal leagues, 63 poe
Eta-Luthien: 4 diagonal leagues, 84 poe
Eta-Jorvik: 5 diagonal leagues, 106 (ok, tiny anomaly here, but still close enough)

2) Longer charts (by number of leagues) are sometimes cheaper than shorter ones
e.g. Turtle-Alpha: 7 diagonal leagues, 129 poe
Turtle-Cnossos: 8 diagonal leagues, 120 poe

3) Squiggly charts are always cheaper than straight lines
e.g. Wrasse-Gaea: 5 diagonal leagues (2 / and 3 \), 76 poe, much cheaper than the straight line Eta-Jorvik

Then, by looking at the triangle Cnossos-Turtle-Alpha, it occured to me that, even though the chart Cnossos-Turtle had more leagues than Turtle-Alpha, the Euclidian distance (measured with a ruler) from Turtle to Cnossos was actually shorter than the distance from Turtle to Alpha. So I proceeded to get the following measures (measures taken on my computer screen using the median zoom display, so possibly a little imprecise and measures may vary depending on your computer screen and display settings, but still, it's pretty convincing)

Alpha-Byrne: 4 diagonal leagues, 4.7 cm, 84 poe --- 17.8723404 poe/cm
Alpha-Turtle: 7 diagonal leagues, 7.1 cm, 129 poe --- 18.16901 poe/cm
Cnossos-Turtle: 8 diagonal leagues, 6.6 cm, 120 poe --- 18.181818 poe/cm
Papaya-Byrne: 2 diagonal leagues, 1 horizontal league, 3.7 cm, 67 poe --- 18.1081081 poe/cm

So there you have it, the price of charts is proportional to the Euclidian distance between the nav points of the islands. And for the yet unconvinced, here's the measurements that convinced me I nailed it:

Cnossos-Alpha: 1 diagonal league, 2 horizontal leagues, 4.2 cm, 76 poe
Wrasse-Gaea: 5 diagonal leagues, 4.2 cm, 76 poe
Hatchetback
Senior Officer of Fifth Fist of th'Misfits
[Dec 15, 2006 7:44:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CKShinrai

I am throughly impressed.
Erfan wrote: 
OUR SUPER IMPORTANT LORD SHINRAI THE HEDGEHOG

[Dec 15, 2006 9:31:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
feverish

I investigated the matter for a while (all on Midnight ocean), here's what I found:

1) the price of straight line charts increase linearly with the number of leagues
e.g. Cranberry-Midsummer: 2 diagonal leagues, 42 poe
Cranberry-Eta: 3 diagonal leagues, 63 poe
Eta-Luthien: 4 diagonal leagues, 84 poe
Eta-Jorvik: 5 diagonal leagues, 106 (ok, tiny anomaly here, but still close enough)

2) Longer charts (by number of leagues) are sometimes cheaper than shorter ones
e.g. Turtle-Alpha: 7 diagonal leagues, 129 poe
Turtle-Cnossos: 8 diagonal leagues, 120 poe

3) Squiggly charts are always cheaper than straight lines
e.g. Wrasse-Gaea: 5 diagonal leagues (2 / and 3 \), 76 poe, much cheaper than the straight line Eta-Jorvik

Then, by looking at the triangle Cnossos-Turtle-Alpha, it occured to me that, even though the chart Cnossos-Turtle had more leagues than Turtle-Alpha, the Euclidian distance (measured with a ruler) from Turtle to Cnossos was actually shorter than the distance from Turtle to Alpha. So I proceeded to get the following measures (measures taken on my computer screen using the median zoom display, so possibly a little imprecise and measures may vary depending on your computer screen and display settings, but still, it's pretty convincing)

Alpha-Byrne: 4 diagonal leagues, 4.7 cm, 84 poe --- 17.8723404 poe/cm
Alpha-Turtle: 7 diagonal leagues, 7.1 cm, 129 poe --- 18.16901 poe/cm
Cnossos-Turtle: 8 diagonal leagues, 6.6 cm, 120 poe --- 18.181818 poe/cm
Papaya-Byrne: 2 diagonal leagues, 1 horizontal league, 3.7 cm, 67 poe --- 18.1081081 poe/cm

So there you have it, the price of charts is proportional to the Euclidian distance between the nav points of the islands. And for the yet unconvinced, here's the measurements that convinced me I nailed it:

Cnossos-Alpha: 1 diagonal league, 2 horizontal leagues, 4.2 cm, 76 poe
Wrasse-Gaea: 5 diagonal leagues, 4.2 cm, 76 poe

/e thinks you have WAYYYYYY too much time on your hands
Pyrexia of Emerald

Boiwonder says, "I'll fadonk them with my massive member"

[Dec 15, 2006 11:14:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

Nicely done!
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
[Dec 15, 2006 11:59:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Added a link to your nice work to the Chart article on YPPedia.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Dec 16, 2006 2:19:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
calorifere

/e thinks you have WAYYYYYY too much time on your hands

hehe, perhaps... but this kind of thing is wayyyyy more fun than playing poker for an hour (which is about the time it took me to figure this out)
Hatchetback
[Dec 16, 2006 7:54:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ceci1980

Wow... what do ye say... simple question and incredible result!

Me likes the forums and specially when something new comes out of it :)

Cheers to Calorifere for the great investigation :)
Cecidrake
Senior Officer of The Lost Lot
Sage Ocean
[Dec 17, 2006 5:36:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
arianwen202

what about route difficulty? does that have any effect at all on chart price. I would have though so?
[Dec 18, 2006 5:25:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
calorifere

what about route difficulty? does that have any effect at all on chart price. I would have though so?

It doesn't, on Midnight at least. Routes that have the same shape and length, but are believed to be of different difficulty all have the same price (e.g. Eta-Luthien, Byrne-Alpha and Cleo-Zeta).
Hatchetback
[Dec 18, 2006 8:16:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates