• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 453
Posts: 453   Pages: 16   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 85338 times and has 452 replies Next Thread
ponytailguy

BYOF: Build Your Own Familiar! [WINNERS ANNOUNCED!] Reply to this Post

Click me for all the vitals! <== This is the oft-named "YPPedia Page". Please read it before you ask any questions, as the answer is probably on it!

Click here for winners!

Ever wanted a familiar, but can't work up the written, illustration, or puzzle skill to get one? Why not build one? Using found objects from around your house, build a familiar. Maybe you'd like to sew together a socktopus... or make a parrot out of pieces of fruit leather. Perhaps a monkey cut out of wallpaper samples? Whatever you like! Just build it, take some pictures, and send 'em in. Easy, eh?

What does "found objects" mean?
It means that you shouldn't have to buy anything to construct your familiar. (If you want to, it's not like I can stop you, though.) Try and use objects and supplies you find around your house. Additionally, "found objects" means things that aren't traditionally used for art; for example, if you make an octopus out of gym socks, you're using found objects. If you make a monkey out of papier-mâché and poster paint, you're using art supplies.

So I can't use art supplies?
No, you can use art supplies, but your choice of supplies will greatly affect your final score, as a significant part of the judging rubric is set aside for "creativity of supplies". Using plasticine won't disqualify your entry, but it won't score as well in that category as the aforementioned socktopus.

When does this contest close?
This contest will be open until two weeks after I get 20 entries. (When I receive 20 valid entries, I'll announce that the contest will close two weeks later.)

This contest will not close until at least a week after Christmas; at this pace, I'll certainly hit 20 entries before Christmas, so the deadline will likely be 6:00 PM PST on the 31st of December.

Where can I host my photos?
http://www.imageshack.us
http://www.photobucket.com

How do I enter?
Post to the Entries Thread, with at least three photos and a list:
- A "materials photo", showing what your familiar bits looked like before you turned them into a familiar.
- A "finished product" shot, showing your familiar at its best.
- A "glamour shot", showing your familiar perched on something. (Ideally on your shoulder!)
- A brief list of materials and instructions on how you assembled it.

If you are under 18, please ask your parents or guardians before posting photographs of yourself on the internet. All photographs must have either a card with your pirate name, or a rubber duckie, somewhere in them.

The familiar does not necessarily need to be perched on your shoulder. You can also perch it on your wrist ("falcon hold"), on a chair arm, on a tree branch... just as long as you can prove it'll perch.

Any more questions?
Post 'em here, PM me (when the inboxes are un-borked) or e-mail me (thatponytailguy@gmail.com)
----------------------------------------
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 8 times, last edit by Apollo at Jan 16, 2007 7:05:52 AM]
[Dec 3, 2006 1:01:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jirugameshi

Re: BYOF: Build Your Own Familiar! [And win it!] Opens Yesterday Reply to this Post

Nifty contest!

But is it just me or the link to the entry thread doesn't go to the right place ?

/me starts wandering around to get some idea....
-Rubis
+*+*+*Star Ocean Apart+*+*+*
Viridian Ocean
[Dec 3, 2006 1:11:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Re: BYOF: Build Your Own Familiar! [And win it!] Opens Yesterday Reply to this Post

It goes to right place.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Dec 3, 2006 1:14:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Nifty contest!

But is it just me or the link to the entry thread doesn't go to the right place ?

/me starts wandering around to get some idea....
I had to create the thread before I had a thread to link to. (Likewise, I had to create this thread before I could link from the entries thread back here.) It works now. :)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Dec 3, 2006 1:15:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Can the "found object" be something perishable from my fridge? There's a large pack of dried squid in there that's perfect for a tan octupus.
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Dec 3, 2006 1:21:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

The found objects can be whatever you like. Perishable is fine. (I would suggest freezing the squid before plonking it on your shoulder, though... ick.)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Dec 3, 2006 1:25:10 PM]
[Dec 3, 2006 1:24:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

Aww... now I need to figure out the difference between found objects and art supplies since I basically have an art store in my home. Maybe I'll try to avoid looking in that room....

Thanks PTG for actually making me want to enter an event again. You get a cookie.
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Dec 3, 2006 1:27:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
AM2009sjp

HAHA

I understand there are rules and stuff for the building the fimiliar,
but I have a amazing Idea for one..

A FERRET!!!

And...Some image of a random guy with a ferret on his shoulder :)

I think a ferret as a fimiliar would be the greatest idea
[Dec 3, 2006 1:33:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    MAc Dawggeedoogg [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Take it to Game Design, mate. We've already had this conversation in the Workshop.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Dec 3, 2006 1:36:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AM2009sjp

I know I posted it be 4 u said it
[Dec 3, 2006 1:41:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    MAc Dawggeedoogg [Link]  Go to top 
Swordholder

What are the prizes, PTG?
Tombstein-
Just a number
[Dec 3, 2006 1:45:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

What are the prizes, PTG?
First prize is the familiar you built. (If you build a purple octopus, you win a purple octopus. If you build a yellow monkey, you win a yellow monkey, etc.)

There are some caveats:
- While you can build any familiar you like, the prize awarded will have to meet the standard familiar regulations (no black-black or white-white, no green monkeys, etc.). We'll just change the colours of the prize to make it work if need be.
- If your entry is tan, we'll upgrade it to another colour of your choice.

Second prize is a tan familiar of the type of your entry.

Third is a sleeping turtle.

Fourth and fifth are parrot feather trinkets in the colour of your choice (no gold or black primary).

Sixth through tenth are clam shells in the colour of your choice (no gold or black).
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Dec 3, 2006 1:51:09 PM]
[Dec 3, 2006 1:50:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
proftracy

I'm sure there is a limit to prizes - but is there a limit to number of entries?
--francisgrace, glubber lubbers, Midnight

In loving memory of the Maroon Marauders, killed 10/07, RIP sweet crew...
[Dec 3, 2006 2:38:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tennveil

I <3 you. It's crazy things like this that I do for *fun*.

One time I created a prairie wagon for a diorama out of clothespins, paper clips, a mini Christmas basket, buttons, and made a "fire" by rolling up a peach shoelace.

Oooh OOh! Hehehe. I made this awhile back:

Yes. Because I was bored.

/me breaks out the gym socks.
[Dec 3, 2006 2:43:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I'm sure there is a limit to prizes - but is there a limit to number of entries?
As long as your entries are more or less unique, enter as many as you like.

(For example, don't submit a green octopus and a purple octopus and a blue octopus that you all made more or less the same way and with the same materials. But if you make an octopus and a monkey and another monkey in a completely different fashion, submit all three!)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Dec 3, 2006 2:48:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

I assume, then, that for purposes of First Place, an entrant submitting a green monkey would have their entry treated as a Tan Monkey (and open up choice of prize color)...
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Dec 3, 2006 3:14:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I assume, then, that for purposes of First Place, an entrant submitting a green monkey would have their entry treated as a Tan Monkey (and open up choice of prize color)...
Yep.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Dec 3, 2006 3:18:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zandia

I noticed that the phrase "All photographs must have either a card with your pirate name on it, or a rubber duckie, somewhere in the shot." was ommited in the OP but is included in the link. Do we or do we not need the rubber duckie/ name card in our pics?
Teh Eighth
[Dec 3, 2006 4:03:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I noticed that the phrase "All photographs must have either a card with your pirate name on it, or a rubber duckie, somewhere in the shot." was ommited in the OP but is included in the link. Do we or do we not need the rubber duckie/ name card in our pics?
Good catch! I'll add that to the OP; yes, it is expected.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Dec 3, 2006 4:20:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

well, since I would far rather have a parrot than an octopus, I guess i won't be tempted to make yet another one of these:

/e wanders off in search of parrot material, trying not to notice the plush parrot sitting on top of the computer.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Dec 3, 2006 6:06:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

I think you've inspired the least artsy-craftsy girl ever to get off her butt and make something...

/me goes in search of objects her boyfriend won't miss...
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Dec 3, 2006 7:08:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

This sounds like a lot of fun! I hope I can find the time to make something, with finals coming up.

Great contest idea

Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Dec 3, 2006 8:24:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

Count me in this event. I am gonna try and find something to make my lovable familiar.

/me start looking throught the rubbish bin....
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Dec 3, 2006 9:35:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

/e sputters.....
Ok - I gotta finish my short story, keep up with the daily doodles, try to catch the lucky dips, AND figure out a way to make a monkey all the while avoiding the overflowing craft material boxes (not to mention actually playing YPP occasionally - my crew really misses me!) all during the incredibly busy month of December!!!!!!!

What a great time to be a pirate!!!!!

Ok you said the contest ends 2 weeks after recieving 20 entries, and that we can enter multiple times - so would I be correct in assuming that would be 20 entries from 20 different people?
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Dec 3, 2006 10:38:48 PM]
[Dec 3, 2006 10:35:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Mmm, sure. Entries from 20 different people.

Additionally, I'll go ahead and guarantee at least two weeks before I start the timer, so you'll have at least a month to assemble your familiar. Actually, no I won't. That would be silly and defeat the purpose of a floating due date, wouldn't it.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Dec 3, 2006 10:50:32 PM]
[Dec 3, 2006 10:44:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

Hmm..... you say we use everyday item right?
Once the finish product has been made it will have like many different colour, are u gonna give us a familiar with rainbow colour? lol

Also if we paint over our finish product will we lower our chance of winning?
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Dec 3, 2006 11:30:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

That's all covered in the full instructions, mate. Check the first post for the link.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Dec 4, 2006 6:06:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

How complete does our "materials" shot have to be? Because of the nature of using found objects, I excpect there will be a lot of unplanned substitiutions during the building process ("I planned to use balloons for the octopus tentacles, but I the proportions were wrong so I ended up using old phone cord")

Providing a complete materials list will be easy, but a photo of ALL the materials used, and only them, would pretty much require building the thing, then disassembling it to get the materials shot.

Or should I be taking a "materials I plan to use" shot and then extra materials shots as I add items?

-- Fey
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Dec 4, 2006 7:06:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Swordholder

I think you've inspired the least artsy-craftsy boy ever to get off his butt and make something...

Tombstein-
Just a number
[Dec 4, 2006 7:27:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nightorday

yes, i had that problem too, i took my materials shot and then had to substitute things along the way, i took pictures of them when i substituted them i hope that is ok.
Laceymarie of midnight

Eurydice says, "yar im i pirat"
Sychopirate says, "I'm eating nuts. Anyone else want some?"

[Dec 4, 2006 8:36:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 453   Pages: 16   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates