• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 22
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6874 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
AvaPoet

Signalperson Reply to this Post

How about inter-vessel communication (traditionally done in the era of high seas piracy by means of flags or blinking mirrors): the ability to taunt an enemy ship as it approaches could be great, or to try to agree a safe passage through a blockade. How about, to do so, a crewman (say, Pirate or above) must take a position as Signalperson (by the ship's flags or mirrors or in the crow's nest or something). They can then select nearby ships and type directly to them.

Were it not for the high speeds involved in "ships passing", I'd suggest this involves a puzzle, incorrect use of which randomly changes a few letters of the message... but I think just simple signalling would do.
----------------------------------------
Ava
[Jan 9, 2003 9:11:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Signalling Reply to this Post

Great idea. I think this had been discussed before, possibly during our "special items" discussion a long time ago. It is probable that we would include it (or some other incarnation), but seems well toward the nether regions of The List at the moment.

-Nemo
[Jan 10, 2003 3:07:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Ship hailing Reply to this Post

I think we're likely to let the two ships communicate -- possibly from engagement, almost certainly in Sea Battle, and then before the boarding swordfight we'll have everyone pile into a scene and face off for taunting etc. It'll be another chat mode; Battle chat.

This came up yesterday when discussing the occasional stumbling upon a player jobbing whilst pillaging -- there's no real way to know, unless you check the who list diligently (which is hard from inside a puzzle), so often poor old jobbers end up getting fleeced (or, sometimes, making a nice little extra on their pay packet, har!) If one knew that the vessel was manned it might make some Pirates think twice... or not...

- Cleaver
[Jan 10, 2003 3:24:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

Quite... Reply to this Post

...indeed. As it is, a crew I was leading came across a vessel on which Ramirez was jobbing the other day. I instructed my crew (via swordfight-chat "Vessel" talk) to take him out first, knowing that he'd (a) make a nuisance of himself otherwise, and (b) it'd annoy him something rotten when I told him later.

As it is, I had to tell him later - I "Tell" messaged him from sea and taunted him, and we duelled on the shores of Winter Solstice later that day.

How much fun would it have been to be able to have "Shout"ed from the decks of my ship, during the combat, knowing that he (and everybody else) would be able to hear me! Arr!
Ava
[Jan 10, 2003 8:21:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

battle chat Reply to this Post

I love this idea, esp. since we are getting lots more players and have a better chance of seeing more "real" players battle each other.

Of course, I have a bias, given that my fine crew of Dastards often fights another, more scurvy crew, name unmentioned, that happens to include my husband among its ranks of sniveling braggarts. Battle chat would be ever-so-useful during their frequent,crushing defeats at the hands of the finest crew to sail the... um... Alpha Main.

DASTARDS PRIDE!
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jan 11, 2003 1:00:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SephirothRyu

Re: Signalperson Reply to this Post

Please note that this post bumps a very old thread. -- Smythe

Assuming both this and the multi-ship battles (more than 2) idea become real, then it should also say what ship your on when you chat so you dont think the wrong ship is annoying you.

on a side note, taunting an enemy (as long as you dont get all annoying with overchatting or L33t) could be strategious if used correctly in a multi-ship battle to try and get an enemy ship to break formation or something else that might not be the best idea to do.
[Nov 29, 2004 5:05:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

SephirothRyu wrote: 
Assuming both this and the multi-ship battles (more than 2) idea become real, then it should also say what ship your on when you chat so you dont think the wrong ship is annoying you.

on a side note, taunting an enemy (as long as you dont get all annoying with overchatting or L33t) could be strategious if used correctly in a multi-ship battle to try and get an enemy ship to break formation or something else that might not be the best idea to do.

What's with the thread necromancy?

And is this still planned? I thought it got shot down at one point?
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 29, 2004 5:07:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

SephirothRyu wrote: 

Though this is a pretty darn good point . . . and the fact that all this extra info has to be there somewhere might be an argument against it ever happening.
[Nov 29, 2004 5:15:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
jmucchiello

(At the risk of being pummeled for thread necromancy.....)

How hard would it be to allow /shout to work between ships engaged in sea battle? The text would change to

Colorbeard shouts from the Clueless Cod, "Die, ye scurvey dogs!!"

Limit it Officers, of course. (Also cool would be if shouting could be heard by all ships between the same two league points. But that would be hard, I'm sure.)
Colorbeard on all the Oceans
SO of Six Leagues Under (Midnight)
FO of SPAM (Cobalt)
[Jun 21, 2005 6:13:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dementia

Is what I forsee. Same issues with shout on land. Can get rather annoying real quick.
- Ajani, Into the Sunset

Ryhison tells you, "i hate u u are a evil little man that tourtures little animals"
[Jun 21, 2005 6:54:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LifeAheadofYou [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Colorbeard shouts from the Clueless Cod, "scupper u u suk"
Colorbeard shouts from the Clueless Cod, "U CHEETD"
Colorbeard shouts from the Clueless Cod, "i hat u"
Colorbeardscrewmate shouts from the Clueless Cod, "u suk"
Colorbeardsothercrewmate shouts from the Clueless Cod, "luser"
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Jun 21, 2005 7:04:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

[serious value=half]
The advantage of being able to shout at sea would be that you could pvp the person back. Shouting at sea should turn off the black ship for that ship on that league. Yes, that sloop is annoying an entire GF...
[/serious]
[Jun 21, 2005 7:35:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ihope127

Re: Ship hailing Reply to this Post

Cleaver wrote: 
It'll be another chat mode; Battle chat.

Hmm, yeah, why not?

Plus how about blockade chat?

Blingbling blockade broadcasts, "Ahoy! May we pass?"
Edit blockade broadcasts, "Sure, s'long as ye don't shoot anyone."

Only available to battle-navvers, of course...
No soy un número. ¡Soy un hombre gratis!
[Jun 21, 2005 8:06:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Eh, not sure that's worth the coding effort. Easy enough to find out who's on a particular ship and ask them.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jun 21, 2005 8:58:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

what about using the /game channel? It could be used for sf, drinking games, brawls(not sure if they're already used in brawls on ice), sea battle, etc.
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Starfaller

I can see the chatbooches now! harrrrr
Synful
Looseweed wrote: 

YPP bout fun. No bout ego

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Synful62 [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

How about a "taunt" puzzle?

Successul completion might add 1-3 black boxes to the opposing side, or remove 1-3 blocks from your side.

The first 60 seconds after grapple and before SF are for taunting. Then comes the brawl.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Jun 22, 2005 12:09:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Bakerboy1995

Well sorry for the many many year bump but I think this is a good idea it would be very good for sailing too y has it never been put into action
[Aug 18, 2007 9:03:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

It hasn't been implemented yet because there are lots of ideas on The List as revealed to players as well as the Developers' schedule which has not been shared with us.

Faulkston,
shrugging
[Aug 18, 2007 9:13:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
vonhamburg

Just adding my two cents...

The other night I was with my bf and two bots, quietly taking my sloop back to my home island when BAM! Suddenly I found myself in the midst of a sinking pvp.
Panic!
Run away!
Disengage!

With only two live people aboard, fighting back didn't seem likely.

Today I found out that the flag my flag is at war with is a friendly and skilled flag, only at war with willing ships.

If I were able to communicate with the ship that engaged and sank me, I would have been able to tell them that I wasn't aware of that game and could have asked them to disengage, instead of having to cry to a higher flag member offering reimbursement for accidental sinking.

This might also work with other flags at war, who are in real war. Maybe the weaker ship could offer a ransom instead of finding themselves sunk because they were out minding their own business on a quiet little voyage :) The offender could always refuse :D
Katherinevh on Hunter
Officer in The Art of War
Member of Coerced Coexistence

Katherinevh on Malachite
Captain of Roflcopter Attack
Member of Drive-By
[Dec 25, 2007 1:20:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/kate_the_curst [Link]  Go to top 
rascal84

Just adding my two cents...

The other night I was with my bf and two bots, quietly taking my sloop back to my home island when BAM! Suddenly I found myself in the midst of a sinking pvp.
Panic!
Run away!
Disengage!

With only two live people aboard, fighting back didn't seem likely.

Today I found out that the flag my flag is at war with is a friendly and skilled flag, only at war with willing ships.

If I were able to communicate with the ship that engaged and sank me, I would have been able to tell them that I wasn't aware of that game and could have asked them to disengage, instead of having to cry to a higher flag member offering reimbursement for accidental sinking.

This might also work with other flags at war, who are in real war. Maybe the weaker ship could offer a ransom instead of finding themselves sunk because they were out minding their own business on a quiet little voyage :) The offender could always refuse :D

/vwho the vessel and tell the Navigator "We were unaware of the War"?
[Dec 25, 2007 11:49:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wolfbit

I love to taunt people
this is a great idea

possibly different colored flares to signal different messages

(Red) War
(Blue) Peace

and different colored flares for messaging to the enemy ship
[Jan 1, 2008 8:19:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates