• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 66
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22504 times and has 65 replies Next Thread
Rastigi

Gunnery tutorial Reply to this Post

I haven't seen a gunnery tutorial here ever, and I did a search for one and didn't come up with it. There isn't one linked from the FAQ. So here goes (please escuse my less than great mspaint skills).

A few people have told me that they just "don't get" gunning. I thought I'd show a few things that I have picked up, then I decided "why not take some screenshots and make a tutorial. And here we are.

First, there is a trick that every good gunner needs to know.
[size=16]This Trick is Now Obsolete!
Place the arrows 1, 2, 3 as soon as you enter the puzzle, as such:

9 times out of 10, you end up with a loaded cannon with the first powder/wad/shot (the water will come out of the top, cannonball on the right, powder on the bottom, then wad on the left).

Other than that, this map was pretty rugged and i loaded it as fast as i could and got distracted from screenshots. Lets go to a better one.
First, we try the top left cannon trick:

Because of the obstruction at A, it doesn't quite work right.

We put the down arrow 3, but notice at B, the silly water bucket is in the way. We have to turn the arrow up after the powder and wad go in, then turn it right AS SOON as the water is safely past. The trick to this is: turn the arrow up, then click and hold on it. Drag your mouse to the right, and let go of the button as soon as the water is past. A little practice will make perfect (at least until you're on a war brig loading cannons for Min and the pieces are going so fast it makes you dizzy.)
Now on to the 2 cannons on the right, which will both be loaded with the same technique.

Using arrow number 4, I put the pieces into a loop (illustrated in pretty blue arrows - DUN LAUGH!!) Then I twiddle arrows 5 and 6 to load the cannons. The important thing to remember is that if you overwrite an arrow, it doesn't make an older arrow go away, and it also makes that arrow the freshest one. Before you put down another arrow after these two, write over number 4 going the same direction, so that it will stay and maintain your loop.
Now, the final cannon:

Oh, look - I didn't listen to my own advice, and when I put down arrow number 7, arrow number 4 dissappeared. Now I have a problem, at C. Easy enough to fix.

By putting down arrow number 8, I can send the pieces in a big loop, and twiddle arrow number 9 to keep them in place. (You can probably tell some of the arrows are faded in a different order than that - I actually did a lot of work to get the powder and wad in the previous screenshot back into the cannon before they got away. You will still do well if you just do the loop, the other is beyond the scope of this tutorial.)
That didn't take me long at all, and the cannons are all loaded.

One final tip:

I've set up a loop, and I want to fill this cannon. I want to do it as quickly and simply as possible. Note the group circled in red. It is already in order and very close together. I can stick it in the cannon with one arrow, which will break my loop by making me lose the first arrow in it. But that won't matter, because at the end all the cannons will be loaded
----------------------------------------
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Rastigi at Mar 16, 2004 9:58:20 AM]
[Mar 16, 2004 9:58:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FrankGrimes

Re: Gunnery tutorial Reply to this Post

Great work! I'm sure this will help a lot of people out, and will cause me to defend my Ultimate gunning a bit more.
Grimes: Retired
Former badass
[Mar 16, 2004 11:34:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spuggy

Har! Thanks Rast! I'll be eyeing this up to improve my horrendous gunning skills and pointing my mates in the same direction
[Mar 16, 2004 1:02:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

As a Bad Gunner, you can bet I'll be studying this (and probably trying that first simple trick until I can get it right every time). Thanks so much for posting!
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Mar 16, 2004 2:22:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

cmdrzoom wrote: 
Thanks so much for posting!

I learned how to do most puzzles from the tutorials. I couldn't believe I couldn't find one for gunning, so I shared.
Bubbablue,
Cleaver wrote: 

[Mar 16, 2004 2:24:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pikax

I was close to posting one for 2 guns once but then they changed it (dam you bundy! (another all aussie joke)).
Pikaxs - Fleet Officer in Piece o' Rum,
Member of Lunar Bin
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Fantastic tutorial and it has helped a lot.

Another idea for you to use to write a tutorial with would be to take individual screenshots of all the items and do a run through step by step by manipulating the pieces in photoshop.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

xagoloth wrote: 
Fantastic tutorial and it has helped a lot.

Another idea for you to use to write a tutorial with would be to take individual screenshots of all the items and do a run through step by step by manipulating the pieces in photoshop.

That would require me to have phontoshop, neh?
Bubbablue,
Cleaver wrote: 

[Mar 16, 2004 8:55:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

...or the graphics editing program of your choice.

atteSmythe,
seeing the forest, despite the trees

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Mar 17, 2004 3:16:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

[size=18]THANK YOU!
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Mar 17, 2004 5:40:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

There is also the fact that taking individual screenshots of my 'manupliations' would have to be done at several FPS, unless I slowed the puzzle down by booching a lot. And as I stated at the beginning, my graphical editor of choice was mspaint, cause i'm lazy and its already installed. Anyway, maybe I'll do more sometime if I get an insteresting map or something.
Bubbablue,
Cleaver wrote: 

[Mar 17, 2004 7:07:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tributary

I read this, and I'm still lousy at gunning. However, I've been assured that it's okay if I can't load guns, because that's not my job. I fire the guns. Case in point:

Rastigi wrote: 
A little practice will make perfect (at least until you're on a war brig loading cannons for Min and the pieces are going so fast it makes you dizzy.)

Keep training those gunners for me, though!

Nothing more satisfying than listening to that boom! when the cannon hits.
Min
Mostly Retired, Midnight
[Mar 17, 2004 7:11:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

That is an incredibly cute avatar.
Bubbablue,
Cleaver wrote: 

[Mar 17, 2004 7:15:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
miave

so nice to finally see a tutorial that i can actually access, rather than all the broken links and fancy program needing movies

great job!
[Mar 17, 2004 11:16:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mysticalmiave    MojaveDesert5 [Link]  Go to top 
DaCheat

arr. this has already helped me a great deal :) up to leg today
thanks
Kassia says, "Not surprisingly, the foul miscreants are terrified of Dacheat - Scourge of the Ocean!"
Aphrodite says, "And now I must go smack down a thief."
[Mar 19, 2004 3:21:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

Rastigi wrote: 
...unless I slowed the puzzle down by booching a lot.

you could just use an able alt (start a greenie account if you dont have room).

nice tutorial anyway.

tips: when setting up loops (which is the easiest way to fill cannons, but not always the quickest) try to have to peices going clockwise as this is the way the peices will go naturaly when they hit an obstacle.

experiment with how soon you can change the direction of an arrow without changing the direction of the peice thats going past it. you may be suprised at how soon a peice is officaly past the arrow.
Glub (again)
[Mar 20, 2004 2:27:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Slummock wrote: 
when setting up loops (which is the easiest way to fill cannons, but not always the quickest)

I focus on loops because it makes life much easier during battle, especially if you have a board where the barrel can't roll into the path of the loop.

There is another good tip:
Your rating doesn't go down if you sit in the puzzle with the cannons loaded, but the pieces stay at the same speed they were before when another cannon is fired. This significantly decreases the time it takes to load a cannon.
Don't leave the puzzle during battle unless:
The cannons are full and you think you can load significantly faster than they are being fired.
The map is too difficult for you at your present speed.
The pieces are going so fast relative to your internet connection/computer that you can't separate them.
Your CO tells you to.
You need to do something else for the betterment of the ship.
Bubbablue,
Cleaver wrote: 

[Mar 22, 2004 7:06:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Really? I leave the gunnery puzzle all the time. My method of gunning during sea battle is to clean all the guns first, *then* load the board. I can almost always load an empty board in under a minute- my fastest is 18 seconds.

And I don't use loops.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Mar 22, 2004 7:12:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
damienroc

/me cries.
Shuranthae wrote: 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

[Mar 22, 2004 7:25:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Crystallina wrote: 
Really? I leave the gunnery puzzle all the time. My method of gunning during sea battle is to clean all the guns first, *then* load the board. I can almost always load an empty board in under a minute- my fastest is 18 seconds.

And I don't use loops.

I'm all ears, please tell me how.

Heck, for an 20-30 second video, you can afford to do a regular mpeg file.

I'm serious; not only do I wind up with stuff looping all over, but they find loops in the board that I never told them to go into.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Mar 22, 2004 8:39:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dr4b

I totally agree with Crystallina, the only reason I ever feel guilty about leaving is all the "Janthina abandoned a duty station." messages that pop up on the ship. Infact, I even do the exact same thing she does -- I clean 'em out and then load 'em, makes it easier to get a cycle started.

The other problem is that after I load two guns it becomes so fast and choppy on my computer that I'm ready to pull my hair out. Of course, when I lag out and drop down to Legendary occasionally, I complain that they're going too slow :)

But yeah, I see no reason not to leave the gunnery puzzle. Unlike the other puzzles, it doesn't tank your rating at all to do so.
Janthina, proprietor of Turban Outfitters on Jorvik.
Deadly, when I gather materials
Never engage any less than Imperials.

[Mar 22, 2004 9:16:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I do such things at elemental... but it's kinda hard to do a gunnery tut. I'm gonna have to make proper graphics for partially loaded cannons before I can get such good examples up, but this is at least a good tutorial for the basics. :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Mar 22, 2004 1:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

dr4b wrote: 
I totally agree with Crystallina, the only reason I ever feel guilty about leaving is all the "Janthina abandoned a duty station." messages that pop up on the ship. Infact, I even do the exact same thing she does -- I clean 'em out and then load 'em, makes it easier to get a cycle started.

The other problem is that after I load two guns it becomes so fast and choppy on my computer that I'm ready to pull my hair out. Of course, when I lag out and drop down to Legendary occasionally, I complain that they're going too slow :)

But yeah, I see no reason not to leave the gunnery puzzle. Unlike the other puzzles, it doesn't tank your rating at all to do so.

When you're loading for Kuibbles, you have to do it so fast that the puzzle warps to mega speed and you have no choice but to leave the puzzle. *sighs*
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Mar 22, 2004 2:37:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

eh? I had the honor of gunning for kuibbles the other day and didn't have a problem. I actually found it alot easier to gun for someone like kuibbles that empties the cannons regularly enough that I didn't have to alter my congo line or exit the puzzle much. Just pick the pieces out of the line [very quickly]

Probably would've been even easier if I used the keyboard shortcuts.
[Mar 22, 2004 2:46:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Sheesh. I used to be ther gunner of the crew. Now guns make me curse like a sailor (which is actually quite appropriate).
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Mar 22, 2004 11:15:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
CaptKidd

Thanks Reply to this Post

Thanks for the help!!

That tip got me to #7 in the Diamond Arch just behind Onyx.

Thanks again!!
[Mar 30, 2004 6:23:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CaptKidd

and back off the list just as fast....

/me laughs heartily
[Mar 30, 2004 9:07:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

The Top Ten is like that ;)
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 1, 2004 12:38:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Arcady

Someone mentioned internet connection speed ... so gunnery isn't all
client side?

That might explain why I have so much trouble separating pieces when
they're going flat chat. Any port in a storm :p

Also, are pieces meant to be able to bounce through arrows? It's
got to be the most frustrating part of gunnery for me, as you just can't
trust in a cordon until everything is smoothed out. Which can take a
while!
[Apr 8, 2004 12:27:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Also, are pieces meant to be able to bounce through arrows? It's
got to be the most frustrating part of gunnery for me, as you just can't
trust in a cordon until everything is smoothed out. Which can take a
while!

Ideally your pieces shouldn't be all bunched together to the point where they can "bust through" the arrows, anyway. I think the idea is to stop you from penning off a ridiculous amount of pieces.
from Midnight.
[Apr 8, 2004 2:21:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates