• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 30
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5358 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
mellyssa

The Alternative Trophy Design Competition

The flag Dies Irae are proud to present The Alternative Trophy Design Competition

Never mind the puzzle trophies, are you the biggest dock tart or the person that spends more poe in the tailors than anyone else? If you think there should be an award for your particular talent, here is your opportunity to design a trophy that recognises true achievements within the game.

Example:
Pirate Name: Elyzabeth
Chat Booch Trophy

We all booch from time to time, but I received a crown when I told the entire brig (including the pirate himself) that we were planning a surprise presentation at the end of the pilly. If there was a chat booch trophy, I would have it in my collection.

Rules
Every entry MUST have a title and a picture. A brief (and I mean brief) explanation is allowed. Also, please include your pirate name in the entry.

The picture can be in any format, photoshopped like mine, drawn from scratch or modelled in 3D if you like! However, it must be modified in some way. Using an existing sailing trophy and calling yourself Midnight's worst sailor is not going to gain many points.

Entries will be judged on originality, good portrayal of the trophy and above all humour. If it makes us laugh out loud, it will score points.

You are allowed more than one entry, each one will be judged on its own merits. Comments and questions in this thread, please post entries in the entry thread in Mariner's Muse, Linky here

Closing date is 9th December at Midnight PST

Prizes
First place: 30k and a Starfish
Second and third places: A Starfish each

Orange Starfish
Red Starfish
White Starfish

Starfish distribution - winner gets first choice of colour, then the second place and third place gets what is left.

Disclaimers
As much as some of these trophies may have a place in the game, this competition is just for fun and they will not be made into actual awards.
----------------------------------------
Elyzabeth from Midnight Cerulean Ocean Obsidian
[Edit 2 times, last edit by mellyssa at Nov 18, 2006 12:13:18 AM]
[Nov 17, 2006 9:04:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Re: The Alternative Trophy Design Competition

Too bad, I'd love to enter but it's Midnighters only, right? Can Viridianites join?
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Nov 17, 2006 10:06:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mellyssa

Anyone can enter, but the prizes are only available on the Midnight ocean. :)
[Nov 17, 2006 10:11:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cpthook04

Im not exactly a whiz in graphics, so my imagination is very limited by what i can do easily enough to have some meaning for others. So here goes a just few ideas.

Pirate Name: Genghizcohen

Crabbed Trophy

Bilging is risky business, specially when its full. You can end with the bilge full of crabs, and no moves to clear them.

Incredible Lucky

Carousing games dont have incredible trophies, but for poker definately this a very needed one.

Muted at skellies trophy

Skelly frays are a magnet for all kind of people, and muting is something very personal. If really a lot (50? 100?) of people muted you because shouting, cheering for skellies, spamming and other annoying behaviour, you definately deserves a trophy. This is my proposal.

Muter

This is the complement of the previous one, but his reach goes just beyond skelly frays. If you muted really a lot of people, so you really deserves this trophy. And if you see someone with it, dont ask how he got it, you could end muted too.

No trophy trophy

Some trophies are hard to be got. Other are easy, too much easy. But still, there are people that have the talent of not being able to get any trophy... Dont they deserve a prize then?
[Nov 17, 2006 1:43:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Im not exactly a whiz in graphics, so my imagination is very limited by what i can do easily enough to have some meaning for others. So here goes a just few ideas.

Pirate Name: Genghizcohen

Crabbed Trophy

Bilging is risky business, specially when its full. You can end with the bilge full of crabs, and no moves to clear them.

Incredible Lucky

Carousing games dont have incredible trophies, but for poker definately this a very needed one.

Muted at skellies trophy

Skelly frays are a magnet for all kind of people, and muting is something very personal. If really a lot (50? 100?) of people muted you because shouting, cheering for skellies, spamming and other annoying behaviour, you definately deserves a trophy. This is my proposal.

Muter

This is the complement of the previous one, but his reach goes just beyond skelly frays. If you muted really a lot of people, so you really deserves this trophy. And if you see someone with it, dont ask how he got it, you could end muted too.

No trophy trophy

Some trophies are hard to be got. Other are easy, too much easy. But still, there are people that have the talent of not being able to get any trophy... Dont they deserve a prize then?

Mate, would help if you would put it in the correct thread that is the entry thread .
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Nov 17, 2006 11:15:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
heavenseyes

Are we permitted multiple entries? if we do put in mulitiple entries can more than one of our entries win?
Flameangel,
Officer of KMM
Official Honorary Member of Aye Carumbas.
[Nov 17, 2006 11:56:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mellyssa

You are allowed more than one entry, because I had loads of ideas when I was creating the competition and I wanted it to be fun. There is nothing worse than posting your idea and then coming up with a better one next day :) Each entry will be judged individually.

As with any competition of this type, any posts or edited posts after the deadline will be disallowed. Also, edit dates will be taken into consideration if two very similar trophies are posted.

Also, please use the entry thread as pointed out above. I will edit the OP to make it a bit clearer.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mellyssa at Nov 18, 2006 12:10:22 AM]
[Nov 18, 2006 12:07:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

i hope that it's okay if i post one .. then edit it and put anotehr one..
Nutella is so good :D.-Philippines/Jedoy
[Nov 21, 2006 7:06:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
mellyssa

i hope that it's okay if i post one .. then edit it and put anotehr one..

Edited posts are fine if you want to add another entry.

In a competition like this, the edit date rule is to cover any instances where a poster looks like they may have tried to copy a later entry, using their earlier post as an advantage.

If in doubt, start a new post. As long as your entry contains a pirate name to claim the prize, I don't mind if you put six entries in one post or post six times!
[Nov 22, 2006 11:39:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

yarrrrrrrrr kk ^_^
[Nov 23, 2006 7:37:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
heavenseyes

I have a question, I had a idea for a trophy- once I posted it I looked up at my competiton and realized that somone else had the same idea. BUT, the trophy's do not look at all alike. Will my trophy still be counted? ( the looks for the trophys were TOTALLY different just the same name )
Flameangel,
Officer of KMM
[Nov 23, 2006 8:22:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

err.. well see..
fer me... if it was mine..
i posted mine first so that nobody will have to think about it...
it would be unfairt if it would be allowed that there will be two trophys of teh same kind...
( iw ill be editing me trophy picytures too becuase i'm drawing them ^_^)
[Nov 23, 2006 7:33:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
heavenseyes

But our trophies areCOMPLETLY different.. I mean.. I didn't even look at yours.. I came up with my sketch's thenight before.. but even hypothetically if I had.. mine is NOTHING AT ALL like your's so it would be impossible for me to copy somthing from somone where it hasn't even been done yet.
Flameangel,
Officer of KMM
[Nov 23, 2006 8:17:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mellyssa

This is going to be difficult to put a ruling on because there are always going to be arguments and differences of opinion. I also understand that people come up with ideas and put a lot of time and effort into them, only to find that someone else has had the same idea. I have thought long and hard about it and these are my guidelines.

In my rules I state that entries will be judged on originality, depiction of the trophy and humour.

If someone posts a later entry - or edits an earlier entry so that their post date is later - the later dated entries will lose points on the originality part of the judging.

In a competition like this, the edit date rule is to cover any instances where a poster looks like they may have tried to copy a later entry, using their earlier post as an advantage.

If in doubt, start a new post. As long as your entry contains a pirate name to claim the prize, I don't mind if you put six entries in one post or post six times!

I have used other similiar competitions as a guideline, especially Apollo's Dead Letter Office competition in October where entries had to include a phrase and a picture. Many people tried to "lay claim" to phrases in advance and edit their posts later to include the rest of their entry. To counter this he stated:

For the "best phrase" judging, if two players use the same phrase, credit for the phrase will go to the player who posts their entry first. If someone else later uses the same phrase as you, then, you may want to avoid editing your post so that we can see that you were first.

There is still plenty of time to get your entries in, and there is no limit to how many times you post.
[Nov 24, 2006 5:20:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

If someone posts a later entry - or edits an earlier entry so that their post date is later - the later dated entries will lose points on the originality part of the judging.

but ye said that we can edit our posts....
so this means no more editing?!!! T___________T
[Nov 24, 2006 7:29:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
mellyssa

but ye said that we can edit our posts....
so this means no more editing?!!! T___________T

You can edit posts, but at your own risk. If you want an earlier entry to keep its edit date, start a new post. If you want to update an existing entry then be aware that the date will be taken into consideration.
[Nov 24, 2006 10:04:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
heavenseyes

So.... does my trophy still count or no?
Flameangel,
Officer of KMM
[Nov 24, 2006 11:36:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

i hink ye can ^_^
but.. ye will loose points.. i think..
[Nov 24, 2006 7:39:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
heavenseyes

Why would I lose points? The only revelance between our trophies is the title.
Flameangel,
Officer of KMM
[Nov 25, 2006 2:23:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tiger_Hunter

Suggestion:
Do all contests like this by PM or third party website like the JudgeBot PTG used for AADM. Clears up the "He/She stole my idea!! d15qual1fy 7h3mmmmmmmm!!!!1!111!111!!!" problem.

Why can't I make the baker watch me kill his wife and child, then force-feed their flesh to him until his stomach bursts? What is this, Barbie's Horse Adventure?

[Nov 25, 2006 8:58:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mellyssa

So.... does my trophy still count or no?

The trophies will be judged by a panel of five Dies Irae senior members and all entries will be taken into consideration.

On this issue of originality, I will give an example. Pirate A and Pirate B posts a Chat Booch Trophy in that order. If no amendments are made Pirate A would get the credit for originality.

However, if Pirate A subsequently edits their post and it is dated after Pirate B's entry, then the credit would go to Pirate B.

This is in order to be fair to all entrants. The last thing that anyone wants is for someone to come along, look at the trophies posted already and copy an idea just adding a new picture.

For this reason I have not restricted the number of times you can enter or the number of times you can post.
[Nov 26, 2006 1:21:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maggy_1

aw, thats disapointing, I'm on sage ocean, and unfortunatly I'd be unable to collect the prize and transfer to sage T-T oh well, good luck to all! Best of luck ^-^ what great prizes too! What a bummer.
Looking for some Avatar Art?
Don't scurvy out- come check out my avatar shoppe!
By Clicking here
[Nov 26, 2006 4:10:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
heavenseyes

You have the joy of entering still! :D
Flameangel,
Officer of KMM
[Nov 29, 2006 10:23:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

oh no.... my entry... teh hammer one...
will i be disqualified because i didn't know that they haev these trophies on ice ocean?
[Nov 30, 2006 12:17:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
estambela

I've read the rules and also have posted in the thread. But, I guess there's something wrong with my entry and should have also been clarified in the thread. As stated:

If you think there should be an award for your particular talent, here is your opportunity to design a trophy that recognises true achievements within the game.

Yet, it wasn't on the rules and my entry is about rewards for impossible achievements. Would that still be counted? Thanks, and thanks for this great idea of a forum competition.ü
Ocean-wide Announcement wrote: 
Please be reminded that there not exists a sea monster called Trinketos. We appreciate your love for trinkets, though. BUT IT'S TRIKETOS, FOR ATLANTIS' SAKE!!! NO LETTER "N"! TRIKETOS! Ok?!

[Dec 2, 2006 3:53:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

how will i do this?!! my entry link (teh first one) is not wprking anymore!!

if i edit it... i'm dead T_T

what will i do?
[Dec 3, 2006 2:09:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
mellyssa

Yet, it wasn't on the rules and my entry is about rewards for impossible achievements. Would that still be counted? Thanks, and thanks for this great idea of a forum competition.ü

I don't have any problems with impossible trophies. None of these are going to enter the game anyway (although some probably should be in there *winks* )
[Dec 3, 2006 3:21:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
estambela

k, tnx... (nice idea of a comp, btw... *winks back*)
Ocean-wide Announcement wrote: 
Please be reminded that there not exists a sea monster called Trinketos. We appreciate your love for trinkets, though. BUT IT'S TRIKETOS, FOR ATLANTIS' SAKE!!! NO LETTER "N"! TRIKETOS! Ok?!

[Dec 4, 2006 12:38:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mellyssa

Competition now closed. I will post the winners here as soon as I have discussed the entries with the other judges, aiming to announce within the week....

Thank you to all the people that entered, I hope you enjoyed creating the trophies, I know I loved logging on to look at the new posts.
[Dec 9, 2006 12:09:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mellyssa

With an event like this it is never easy to chose one trophy over another. I would like to give a big thank you to my judges and proudly announce the winners as:

Third place: Emmett - First Sloop

Second place: Kiattia - Incredible Docktart

First place: Dexla - Not porting

Please contact either Elyzabeth or Alohura ingame to collect your prizes. I will send you pm's for your choice of colour starfish.

Thank you to everyone that entered. I hope you enjoyed watching the entries roll in as much as I did.
[Dec 17, 2006 12:34:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates