• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3854 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
KoshMom

Record of sunk ships? Reply to this Post

YPP developers added "ship records" to ships to help keep track of who did what on a ship. Crewmates were happy to be able to see who might have sold stuff or track stolen items this way, so they could remove "rogue officers" from their ranks.

The "recent record of PVP battles" that you get when you click on the Crew sea battle rating shows if ships were sunk in pvp battles. However, if ships are sunk in a blockade (or an event blockade, which will become much more common now) there's no record of that. The ship merely disappears forever with no mention of it. This could be upsetting to someone who left a ship unlocked (perhaps a ship that's co-owned?) overnight, and the governor of the island it's on made a sinking blockade, and wam! within an hour that crew loses a valuable ship with lots of cargo due to a new officer's misunderstanding of what "sinking" really means. Or a "rogue officer" just wanting to make trouble for the crew.

There should be a record stating that a ship of this size, with X pirates aboard (perhaps even state the officers on board?) was sunk in an event blockade on Named island, on Date.
----------------------------------------
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[Edit 1 times, last edit by KoshMom at Oct 19, 2006 6:46:28 AM]
[Oct 19, 2006 6:43:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
brazzy

Re: Record of sunk ships? Reply to this Post

There should be a record stating that a ship of this size, with X pirates aboard (perhaps even state the officers on board?) was sunk in an event blockade on Named island, on Date.

Not only for blockades, please, and definitely include officer names.

I was once a new Officer in a large crew that had a WF taken out empty and immediately sunk in PvP, apparently by a spy. I was accused of being the perpetrator because I had logged off right after the ship sunk and that was the only lead they had.
--
http://www.brazzy.de
[Oct 19, 2006 6:50:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.brazzy.de/ [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

I was hoping this was a request for a log of ships sunk by one of your ships. Tally marks.

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Oct 19, 2006 8:42:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I was hoping this was a request for a log of ships sunk by one of your ships. Tally marks.

oooooooo shiny!
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Oct 19, 2006 8:46:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

Totally a trophy.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Oct 19, 2006 9:04:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Totally a trophy.
Bannable.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Oct 19, 2006 9:10:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

Aye , we really need that.

This is my experience from last night: I was trying to get the Weathered Helm Trophy , so I decided to grab a random sloop from my crew , get it on a sinking blockade, and just stay at the Safe Zone the whole time. Even though I didnt get the trophy (even after 2 complete rounds), I realized that if at any point I had dedided to move the sloop into the sinking board, and someone decided to sink me (which by being the only one the ship, wouldve been so easy to do) the sloop wouldve been gone forever without nobody noticying. Specially since I was the only one from my crew logged on at that time.

Being a nice person I am, I didnt get the ship outside the Safe Zone into the board ,and trust me, the temptation was really high as I desperately want my injury; and I know people who would sell their souls if necessary to get one. This really scares me.

Also, the event blockade only had a few hours notice. And the owner of the sloop hadnt logged in since 2 days ago ( he is a friend of mine) , so he couldnt have possibly known of this sinking blockade, and thus , didnt lock the ship.

My conclusions:

1. You can't be a lazzy butt and stay at the safe zone in order to get your weathered helm trophy, you must be active in the board :P

2. We really need a sinking record, because as the OP said, the numbers of Event Blockades is bigger than people owning bandanas. The risk is higher than before.

3. Give event blockades (at least sinking ones) a week notice at least, because not everyone is logged everyday. Let the owners of the boats get a chance to lock their ships.

Give me a little break for my english, it is not my first language. :P
Damagon
[Oct 19, 2006 10:41:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KoshMom

Saying "the risk of sinking ships is higher now" is the understatement of the decade. Before the release with "Event Blockades" the risk to a flag that had decided not to go to war was essentially 0 (the exception being known weekends where a sinking blockade was occurring). Now the risk is approximately 1 or 2 sinking event blockades a day, if not more.

Don't get me wrong: I don't think that event blockades are a bad thing. However, it would be nice if we could control them more, i.e. have the owner of a ship "tag" their ship as not available for sinking blockades. But right now it's either "lock it so noone but the owner can use it" or "risk sinking it". No middle ground. But that's another topic for another thread.

This thread is about knowing who sunk your battleship.
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[Oct 19, 2006 2:05:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Here is some related discussion:
Info (Idea Links):Flag:Blockade record

Faulkston,
meta-linky
[Oct 19, 2006 7:35:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Saying "the risk of sinking ships is higher now" is the understatement of the decade.

Sort of depends on your flag, actually. War flag have had to deal with "There could be sinking battles at any moment, make sure only expendable ships are unlocked" for a long while.

Smythe,
not taking his gold-painted GF out, for instance. ;)

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Oct 20, 2006 9:16:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
c_squared01

Trying to get officers to keep their ships unlocked -- even in a very small crew with very strict officer requirements -- is getting harder and harder. Event blockades create the possibility for any unlocked ship to be sunk at any time, and the person who sinks them will never be able to be found.

I used to be prepared to offer payment if someone's ship got sunk somehow -- because it wasn't going to happen.

But now, how am I supposed to justify leaving any ship unlocked?! Even with the hardest officer training guidelines, it would take at most a few weeks of determined work for an enemy to get an alt up to "officer," then have a friend hold an event blockade at a strange time of night and sink my shang'd flagship. The flagship was purchased with crew funds -- locking it is unacceptable. If/when this does happen, I will be rather angry.

How did no one think of this before? We need, at the very least, to be able to tell who sunk my ships at some random-ass event blockade.

Edit: But that isn't going to fix the paranoia either.
Chrisspy
[Edit 1 times, last edit by c_squared01 at Oct 20, 2006 9:56:22 AM]
[Oct 20, 2006 9:54:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

We do keep these logs in flat files for auditing purposes, but I can definitely see the need to put this somewhere player-accessible so it's a bit more transparently accountable.
[Oct 20, 2006 10:14:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
imhappyfairy

Hooray for Liz :)
I'd like to see this somewhere also :)
Flyingbanana of Viridian and Malachite.
[Oct 20, 2006 10:51:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraggard

And may I make another call for finer grained controls?

"This ship may not be used in any sinking event [x]"
"This ship may not be used in any sinking blockade [x]"

Or something like that.
Avatar used by permission of Scupperer
erfan wrote: 
It's not his, honey. He's posting pictures of other guys' snakes to make himself feel better because his isn't as impressive.

[Oct 20, 2006 10:59:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BullseyeBud

And may I make another call for finer grained controls?

"This ship may not be used in any sinking event [x]"
"This ship may not be used in any sinking blockade [x]"

Or something like that.

I agree with the above quote, 110%

I've had someone take out a brand new Sloop (I've not even boarded it yet) and it got sunk in a war, within a few hours of paying for the delivery fee.
I didn't even get a chance to lock it (I realize my errors now).

I was fortunate the guilty officer told me about it, but I can see how there will be others who don't ask/don't tell that can cause problems.

BullseyeBud
One Puzzled Pirate
[Oct 20, 2006 1:21:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kanddak

A broader suggestion:

Replace the current helm-lock and pet controls with a "Ship Configuration" option, bringing up a window similar to the new Voyage Configuration window.

Radio buttons for "Locked always", "Locked when at war", "Unlocked". (I just go lock my ship when a war starts, but I can see that being an enormous hassle for people who own numerous ships at different locations, or "I was on vacation when war was declared", or other such.)
Checkbox for usability in sinking blockades. (Any reason to distinguish between events and contentions?)
Checkbox for allowing pets.
-Kanddak, Sage Ocean
[Oct 20, 2006 1:43:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

A broader suggestion:

Replace the current helm-lock and pet controls with a "Ship Configuration" option, bringing up a window similar to the new Voyage Configuration window.

Radio buttons for "Locked always", "Locked when at war", "Unlocked". (I just go lock my ship when a war starts, but I can see that being an enormous hassle for people who own numerous ships at different locations, or "I was on vacation when war was declared", or other such.)
Checkbox for usability in sinking blockades. (Any reason to distinguish between events and contentions?)

I'd rather just see a popup menu from the deeds where you can lock/unlock ships or do whatever. Similiar to the one you have for your crew where you can click on each member to look at their stats or change their rank and stuff.
[Oct 20, 2006 2:06:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kanddak

A broader suggestion:

I'd rather just see a popup menu from the deeds where you can lock/unlock ships or do whatever. Similiar to the one you have for your crew where you can click on each member to look at their stats or change their rank and stuff.

<3

That's awesome.

Have it accessible both ways, so people with a lot of deeds don't have to dig through the list to get to the ship they're currently on.
-Kanddak, Sage Ocean
[Oct 20, 2006 2:18:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Malach

A broader suggestion:

How about combine both ideas and make that "Ship Configuration" option available from the deed as well as the Nav table?
-Malach, mostly on Cobalt

Ex-Captain of Omega
Owner of Circe's Brew, Labyrinth Moors
[Oct 20, 2006 2:20:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Malach1    250095 [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates