• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1917 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
reynolds0000

Muteing the ocean

Ok, seriously would it be great if we had a command that can mute the ocean? sure we have /mute <pirate name here> but that is only good for one person. I like to have it where no one knows im online, such as when im just doing things and i don't want to be bothered, or when i sta building and i don't want people to annoy me with tells or with job offerings. sure there is a /away <message> but that doesn't stop them. I personally think there should be a /muteall. because it is really annoying when the following conversation happens

Randomperson tells you "hey whats up?
You auto-respond "sorry im busy I cannot talk at the moment"
Randomperson tells you "hello???"
Randomperson spams putting about 200 messages of "dfhfuiofr''ei3rejoei9e8loejffhe" on and you reply

Thus, taking up your whole screen and annoying you.
I URGE that there is a command made, it could be a mute all or a show offline to all command but please, stop these spammers, and annoyers!
----------------------------------------
Hellsinger.

Oh sure it's ok when a monkey does it, but when I throw barrels at an italian plumber, well then it's a hate crime.
[Oct 13, 2006 5:58:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Google.ca [Link]  Go to top 
Kraggard

Re: Muteing the ocean

Umm, what's wrong with "/complain Randomperson"?

That would be the correct way to mute that particular example.
Avatar used by permission of Scupperer
erfan wrote: 
It's not his, honey. He's posting pictures of other guys' snakes to make himself feel better because his isn't as impressive.

[Oct 13, 2006 6:24:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Blackspot and complain spammers. Every spammer that gets suspended is one less spammer that can bother you. Also, if you're actually afk, who cares who is spamming you! It's not like you'll have to read it as its happening.

If you really, really don't want bothered, then it's up to you to close the circle, so to speak. Put parlor tables in your house and play there instead of at the inn. Get yourself a list of pillaging hearties and pillage with them only. Live in a less populated archipelago (I recommend Garnet for Viridianites) so that even when you're docktarting, you still see no one except those you invite. Have a shopkeeper alt who handles all store business and make it known that you must contact that alt in order to get those abandoned orders. Stay out of positions of power. If you don't like tells, you will hate royalty. Let someone who can handle mispelled alliance overtures be the captain and king. If you do all those, then no spammer has any business contacting you.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Oct 13, 2006 6:25:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Muting all /tells had some discussion here:
Chat (Idea Links):Channels:Muting:/tell
The obvious danger is cutting oneself off from all communication because one forgot to unmute tells. This is a social game after all. The shoot stab oneself in the foot factor seems too high to implement this feature, although it can be mitigated by having the tell channel unmute automatically upon log in (or symmetrically, upon log out). It should also unmute automatically if one sends a tell to someone else. These points have mostly been raised before.

As pointed out earlier in this thread, deliberate spamming via /tells should be /complained.

Logging on in an invisible mode had some discussion here:
DND tweaks (Idea Links):Log on as invisible
There's probably less potential for stabbing oneself in the foot with this idea.

Faulkston,
meta-linkies
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Oct 13, 2006 7:05:41 PM]
[Oct 13, 2006 7:04:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
reynolds0000

mostly what I mean is that I just don't want anyone to know im online at some times(people like friends, siblings, rommates, dorm buddies) i just want to be able to do things in peace and of course as soon as you send a tell to another it should automatically take it off, or once you log out or hire jobbers. that would make sense to me, also Faulkston your links are good they get me to the forum i want to see but there is never a ringer that actually comments on it and what can be done which is what I need, so if you have any links to where a ringer has commented on it, i could really use that link ;)
Hellsinger.

Oh sure it's ok when a monkey does it, but when I throw barrels at an italian plumber, well then it's a hate crime.
[Oct 13, 2006 7:31:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Google.ca [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

The Developers don't comment on every idea, or they'd have little time left to do developing. For now though they've not approved of muting tells. On the other hand they haven't disapproved, so the feature is still viable assuming there's good justification for it.

The specific instance mentioned in this thread as motivation for muting tells is not that strong. /complaining should stop spammers rather than allowing them to annoy someone else and force them to mute tells.

Faulkston,
shrugging
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Oct 13, 2006 8:05:00 PM]
[Oct 13, 2006 7:52:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
TarnumTheRed

The Ringers have designed this game to be community based. Since the mute all command would go against that foundations, there are four options to solve the problem presented here.

1) Log in as an unknown alt. That way you can play and none of your friends will know you are on-line.

2) If you want to play puzzles, buy the stand alone version.

3) If you just want to play a game, play a single player game for a while.

4) Just ignore the people. If they can't read your auto-response and honor it, then remove them as hearties.
Tarnum

Darvid wrote: 
I guess it's just fun to poke the retarded bunny.
Muroni wrote: 
Who isn't sure that leif will let me enter him, but I'm willing to try.

[Oct 13, 2006 8:50:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KariMinger

/runandhide?

I sympathize. I have few hearties and no real crew now (my other personalities do not count as crewbies) but I used to. You get on, and everyone says hi and asks how you are. It's part of the great part of the game that there can be such a sense of community. But sometimes you just want to run and put in an order and log off.

As Tarnum said, you can log onto an alt. But I wouldn't be against a checkbox at login saying something like "login as invisible" with a static note that posts on your chat view stating "You are logged in as invisible" so that you don't forget.
Zazazu : blockading near you
Captain of "Cracker-Throwing Monkey"-Ellipse-Viridian
You can't buy fame, you earn it. Unless it's Corona Reef we're talking about. -Saltake
[Oct 13, 2006 10:06:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
query

The abuse for that, however, is if you're sailing. Are you wanting to still invis to all? If so, stepping onto a ship that's sailing (whether it's navy, or you're sailing yourself) should automatically switch you back to visable.

Personally, I just go with an alt on every ocean that my crew/hearties don't know about. Everyone wants to puzzle alone now and then. Otherwise use the combination of warning, /complain, /blackspot, and /mute liberally. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
If I weren't such a refined lady, I'd beat the crap out of you. ~ Doris Wodsworth/Washington/Waverley/Wilgus

[Oct 14, 2006 1:27:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.riddlersrealm.com [Link]  Go to top 
reynolds0000

1) Log in as an unknown alt. That way you can play and none of your friends will know you are on-line.

Yes but i like to skill build on my main account, so that people can see my skills and look in awe (bump to look at Whitell and Kon's stats on Hunter ocean)

Also i like to do exactly as KariMinger mentioned put in an order then leave. All I want is to be able to log in as invisible and if a Ringer conacts me about it i'll send them details about what i have already though out and what i think will make many pirates happier.
Hellsinger.

[Oct 14, 2006 6:25:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Google.ca [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

You could try sending a private message or an email to the Developers (not the Oceanmasters) rather than wait for them to contact you. Be patient; it may take a while for them to respond.

Faulkston,
noting that this would at the very least reduce the number of communication rounds by 1
[Oct 14, 2006 9:41:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
reynolds0000

SOLVED

I have sent Hypnos a PM and he has sent me one back confirming that muteing the whole ocean will never happen because the kind of takes away the MM from MMROPG
Hellsinger.

[Oct 18, 2006 2:12:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Google.ca [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates