• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6760 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
bluekoala

Sea shanties Reply to this Post

Thought of a puzzle idea on the social side, being musically minded, what about a sea shanty puzzle? something to do with matching notes, obv have to get sound working first! No idea what benefit it would have, but i'd enjoy it!

---
Esk

Ava's wench and a pirate of the Dastards.
----------------------------------------
--Esk

...here be dragons...
[Jan 7, 2003 2:24:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jasola

Re: Sea shanties Reply to this Post

Aye, I was just thinking of the same thing. Music was very, very important to a pirate crew----they fought hard for musicians to horde along with treasure. I think it'd be a great and fitting addition to the game!
- Jasola -
"I do not think much of our profession, but when contrasted with respectability, it is comparatively honest." ~ The Pirate King, The Pirates of Penzance
[Jan 7, 2003 2:32:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.tabias.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

How About... Reply to this Post

How about a pattern matching game: the game plays a series of notes (to a sea shanty tune) which the player must match. This gets progressivley longer and longer: a memory game, like those silly things with red, yellow, blue and green lights you had as a kid.

And for the advanced minstrels, how about being able to try to memorise entire tunes and play them by heart, for big bonuses? This could also be used to improve morale at sea (reducing use of Rum, perhaps). Who knows. The dev team do, but they're not telling.

Oh, and: welcome to the forum (and to the Dastards), Esk.
Ava
[Jan 7, 2003 2:51:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
slipster216

Music, ah, music.. Reply to this Post

As I've told the guys at three rings, I'd be more than happy to help them with something like this. I did the player music for AC2, which has been a huge success, and that system was a lot more complex than it really needed to be to get the point across (sometimes it's fun to go too far).

The nice thing about music in MMPs is that music is fundimentally a social experience - if your playing it, or watching people play it, it's still fundimentaly a social communication system. For AC2, we kept achievement or gameplay out of the system, and basically made it a huge social easter egg. While I've worked out a few puzzle music games in the past, it hardly needs a puzzle to be fun.

I'd even settle for a few emotes which I could perform. It would be easy enough to write several modal lines which could be sung at any timing, and would always sound good together. A group of people could trigger them whenever they want, singing in rounds, in drunken pirate sailor fassion. Fun stuff..
[Jan 7, 2003 5:12:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Arrr! Reply to this Post

We love it and we wants it, preciousss. Rousing Jigs are on the List!

The List is Mighty!

- Cleaver
[Jan 8, 2003 7:07:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
nunix

NOTE: OLD THREAD! I've searched a bit, and this seems to be the post most in-tune (ARR HARR HARR.. harr.. aharhem (wait, harem? what?)) with an idea I had.

Reasons to implement: Something social for pirates to do when it's smooth seas, and no carpentering or bilging needs to be done but they still want to contribute; sea shanties are ten kinds of awesome;

Required to implement: two new items; an addition to the Options menu to "Listen to Shanties" (off by default); new puzzle; song memorisation (done, I imagine, just like route memorisation)

Sea Shanty Puzzle:
This is a puzzle playable in an Inn, or on the deck of a Ship. It can only be played by player pirates, possibly only started by crew Pirates (as opposed to cabin persons, jobbers, etc).

Inn/Social Puzzling
When played at the Inn, it's practice (small "experience point" value for raising Standing/Experience), but has no other effect. Does contribute to memorisation.

Option 1: to sing in an Inn, there needs to be either a Stage or a Bar, which have limited spaces available. All pirates in the Inn can hear the song if they are Listening To Shanties.

Option 2: Pirates can form groups to practice, but they are the only pirates in the Inn that can hear their singing.

Ship Puzzling
Played on Ship, any character that chooses to hear it (i.e. does not have it turned off in Options) can have their duty puzzle performance increased. I.E. a group of singers does Good; all the pirates that are duty puzzling and are Listening To Shanties have their performance increased by, say, 1/3rd (repair more damage, ship goes faster, etc).

Alternatively, it could be set up so that you can't drop below some level; if the singers do Excellent, perhaps puzzlers cannot do -worse- than Good, and thus improve their results that way.

Different songs could have different job effects. Some would favour, say, Sailing, but give little benefit to Bilge. Therefore, the most desirable songs would be ones that gave good benefits to many puzzles.

Shanties
I'm thinking very simple tunes here; only musical accompaniment, 1- 2- and 3-note clusters, perhaps with karaoke-style text floating up somewhere in the UI (which can be turned on or off; perhaps a seperate window, spawning alongside the main YPP window?) for those what want to know the words.

Songs are learned either by aquiring conch shells that have the tune in them, a piece of sheet music, or by performing a tune multiple times with someone who already knows the song.

Conch shell:
Aquired: being sunk (as picking up off the ocean floor); rare forage (as washed up on beach); impressing a Merfolk.
Use: One-time only, grants instant memorisation of whatever song it stores.

Sheet music:
Aquired: Booty.
Use: Takes up some booty slot (possibly a new one?). To start the song, you -must- have it in your inventory. Thus, these are less valuable than conchs, because you have to take up inventory space for each song (and you can probably only carry 1 or 2 songs total). You can memorise a song from sheet music by performing it many times (the sheet is, in effect, a pirate that has learned it). Another possible drawback would be that you can only perform sheet music at an Inn, not on a Ship.

the Puzzle
It seems like the most appropriate style of puzzle would be a simple rhythm game, a la Beatmania, DDR, et cetera. Each player goes through and tries to hit the notes at the proper time. The server lags a dozen steps or so behind the singers, and pipes simple notes through to Listening to Shanties pirates.

The puzzle is started by a pirate that knows the song (or has the sheet music). He plays 10 or 20 seconds solo, and then the other pirates in the group can join in. By performing at least Good, you gain some amount of memorisation experience. If you've already memorised the song, you can't do worse than Poor; instead of Booched, you see "Flat" but it has the same result as Poor (except everyone knows what a terrible, terrible puzzler-singer you are).

The complexity/speed of the notes is based on your experience Singing. Some songs will -require- a certain experience (or rating!) to be started; however, anyone joining in will be set a level of difficulty according to their own experience/rating.

To make it more puzzle-y, you could have things affecting play like:
* the sea making the ship sway, and thus the notes/pieces are reversed what they should be
..and actually, that's all I can think of for that. I know it's Puzzle Pirates but that style of game would work really well for this. -.-

..so, I think that's everything. Honestly, a lot of this came from the fact that
1) I really like sea shanties and similar folk tunes, and
2) a crew called the "Shanty Raiders" amuses me to no end, because I never met a pun I didn't like, but that means there needs to be shanty-items for them -to- raid, so.. yeah.

I know this type of thing is an old request to OOO but searching through the forums, it seems it mostly boils down to "wanting music" which is.. enh.. I dunno, not that exciting. I'm hoping this more detailed proposal gets some interest.
Guild Wars Wiki:
http://guildwiki.org/
[Nov 5, 2005 9:14:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Doesn't the "Elevate them to Good" mean that you can just set up six clients simultaneously and have them sit on puzzles doing nothing, then set yourself up to Shanty and raise them all to an above-average level?
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Nov 5, 2005 9:24:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Doesn't this sound like the powers of a bard from various roleplaying games?

Faulkston,
sing me a song of inspiration!
[Nov 5, 2005 9:27:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
nunix

PTG: Hum. Easily sorted, I'd think; can only improve if actual work's been done. I dunno, I never think about exploiting this stuff, always catches me unawares. -.-

Faulkston: Suppose so? Is that a good or a bad thing? Could have other effects, I suppose. Could have -no- effects, even, but it seems like there should be some benefit for performing at sea.
Guild Wars Wiki:
[Nov 5, 2005 9:58:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darkaardvark

EDIT: It's late. I realize this point was somewhat covered in the previous response. So just think of this as fleshing it out.

Does it need to have an effect at all? Don't doubt the power of people to get addicted to a puzzle that has little to no actual purpouse. The only problem with this is that all parlor games out there right now are competitive- it's either 1v1, larger teams, or free-for-all (hearts, spades.) Making a parlor-type game that isn't competitive would be a big change for many players, and it also tends to encourage the kind anti-social play that the devs work so strongly against.

I don't really see a decent way to make this a competitive puzzle. At the same time, there's no real way to make it a crafting puzzle. But I still don't think we need another shipboard puzzle that increases other's work; nav is more than enough for that.

What about patterning it somewhat like the navy? Give it unique ranks (standings could still be kept) and perhaps, unique music or instruments at each rank. This would allow it to remain a single-player puzzle, while remaining very distinct.

As for other players hearing it, that just seems like it would require more coding than necessary, and might not sound all that good anyways. Perhaps if ye "watched" the person playing, you could hear it. Otherwise, how would you deal with multiple players in a scene?
Pleun wrote: 
Try searching using the correct spelling, the search option is very picky about that.

(Avatar by Synful.)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Darkaardvark at Nov 5, 2005 10:20:30 PM]
[Nov 5, 2005 10:19:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Oooh! Oooh! Battle of the Bards!

Faulkston,
with the wrong genre of game
[Nov 5, 2005 10:21:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
nunix

Huh. You know, I -completely- spaced the competitive aspect. And it does overlap with Nav..

Hmm. I'll think on it, see if I (or someone else, I suppose) can come up with a cool use for it.
Guild Wars Wiki:
[Nov 5, 2005 10:34:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xceptopec

Okay, this thread necromancy is getting bizarre, I don't think we need forum mods any more so much as forum Voodoo Priests!

Battling Bards would be interesting, but how would you even go about implementing it as a game feature?
Captain Callam

Commander, The Children Of Odin
Prince - Forseti's Justice

Also - (The original) Cutter - (Azure) Ice, Midnight, Cobalt, Sage, Hunter.
[Nov 6, 2005 5:49:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunix

Thread necromancy: there's a sticky at the top of the forum that -specifically states- to do that; OOO is in favour of zombies! The idea, I imagine, being to force searches (to see if it's covered before) and reduce number of new threads.

Battlin' bards: Not sure how you'd implement. Pretty sure you wouldn't -want- to. It's definitely not something I think of when I picture pirates. Maybe pirate musicals, but.. meh!

I don't think it needs to be competitive, really; Duty and Crafting puzzles aren't. But then you'd need some use for them..

Hmm.

What if singing made other duty puzzles -easier-? Better boards, more bonus pieces (glue, jellyfish).. I think that'd be a pretty cool way to improve ship performance in an indirect manner.
Guild Wars Wiki:
[Nov 6, 2005 9:40:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Blackstubble

Hey...the harpsicord could actually play a shanty! That would be cool.
[Jun 21, 2006 12:10:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Mind the bump.

Sea shanties as sung to co-ordinate physical ship-board labor would involve slightly more portable and less fragile instruments than a harpsichord e.g. an accordion or maybe a fife.

Faulkston,
musing
[Jun 21, 2006 6:40:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

Mind the bump.

Sea shanties as sung to co-ordinate physical ship-board labor would involve slightly more portable and less fragile instruments than a harpsichord e.g. an accordion or maybe a fife.

Faulkston,
musing

we need looter lutes!
[Jun 21, 2006 6:44:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Bump >.>

Could I propose a music carousing puzzle? :)

This would be the left portion of a potentially longer board.

Here's the premise:
You're given a 10xN (N large) board with notes on it. The bottom row denotes middle C, and the top row denotes the E above C above middle C. Your job is to place "blocks" on top of this board so that as many of the notes as possible are included inside the block outlines.

Rules:
1. You will be given 100 (all numbers tentative) pieces total, chosen randomly based on your instrument (more on that later).
2. At any point in time there will be 5 pieces (or fewer if you're running out of your 100) to choose from in a box below the board.

3. The first piece must touch the left edge of the board.
4. Subsequent pieces must be placed so that they touch some previously placed piece diagonally but NOT horizontally or vertically.
5. You may NOT rotate pieces.
6. You may choose to discard a piece from the box; if you do, it's replaced with a new piece that counts towards your 100.

7. Black notes are "melody notes." They may have sharps or flats that affect how the music sounds, but sharps and flats do not affect gameplay.
8. Red notes are "wrong notes." If they are included, points are deducted from your score.
9. Blue notes are "harmony notes." If you hit both the melody note in that column AND the harmony note, you get extra points. No points are awarded for just hitting the harmony note.

10. At the end of your 100 pieces (or after you hit all black notes or run out of board space or hit some button that says "Done"), your song will be played back in MIDI, complete with wrong and missing notes.

Notes:
1. There will be songs of varying difficulty. The one above (do you recognize the tune? ;)) would probably be a more advanced level.
2. Black and blue notes are predetermined (we'd need a music repository). Red notes are randomly placed afterward.
3. Different instruments will produce different pieces in different distributions to simulate the abilities of a real instrument. For example, one instrument might produce a lot of 1x1s, making it very good for fast scales and trills but very bad for repeated notes.

Extensions:
1. How do we get the repository of music?
I suggest we invert the puzzle. Have a "composing" puzzle where the player is given an empty board (perhaps with random "holes") and then asked to fill it with 60 pieces, then place black and blue notes inside the piece outlines. When they're done, they can submit their creation to the government of the island. The government can then approve the piece, assign it a difficulty rating, and attach the composer's name to it. (To keep this under control, you could restrict the composing puzzle to special events or something like that.)

2. How can we make this game competitive?
Two players can be given the same (randomly chosen) song, and whoever gives the better performance wins. This could be extended into a tournament format.

3. How can we make this game cooperative?
We can have special songs with two (or more?) boards associated with them (and a corresponding composing mode to match). You could ask someone to join you to perform a duet, and you would be given a duet song and assigned one of the two parts (maybe the person who proposes the duet gets the first part). In a duet, scoring would be slightly easier, and the score's weight in standings calculations would be somewhat higher.
Of course, we could combine 2 and 3 to get duet competitions.

4. Single-line MIDI sounds awful!
You can take a page out of Super Mario RPG's book ;) Certain songs (perhaps ones made by the Ringers) could have high-quality MIDI backgrounds (drums, a piano, etc.) that would mesh well with a good performance (and not so well with a poor performance).
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tanonev at Dec 12, 2006 12:10:45 AM]
[Dec 12, 2006 12:09:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

Bump >.>

Could I propose a music carousing puzzle? :)

What an awesome and unique idea.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Dec 12, 2006 8:08:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ozgun_92

Aye, I was just thinking of the same thing. Music was very, very important to a pirate crew----they fought hard for musicians to horde along with treasure. I think it'd be a great and fitting addition to the game!

/me feels sarcasm in this
Lordlightnin on Sage
[Dec 12, 2006 9:19:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

:( I used to live in a sea shanty...
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Dec 12, 2006 10:10:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates