• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2304 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
OmegaZero

Arr! Personal Ships! Reply to this Post

This here be my idea mateys...

A n00bie needs his cash from the islands right, and it isnt always easy to get from island to island by navy or crew since there busy. I prupose single ships - ie a dingy or a canoe or a raft or something. It could hold a max of 2 people, can only melee fight, can only move around in one archipelego, but would be pretty friggin fast. Or better yet a sail boat. They would be cheap, like 1k per boat. 1 cannon ball would sink em too.
Maps would be held in a sling type thingy, like an arrow quill. Cheap, quick to build and move, and best off all you can carry your loot around from jobs on other islands as you wish :).
----------------------------------------
[size=9]"I do not know what type of weapons World War III will be fought with, however, World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" - Albert Einstein

"I'm free of all prejudice, I hate everyone equally" - W.C. Fields

~OmegaZero

[Jul 29, 2003 4:26:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://zero.foxwyn.net    LunaxLupus [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
Re: Arr! Personal Ships! Reply to this Post

I think the problem with this is it greatly reduces the value of large ships. Clearly, a goal should be encouraged lots of ships to be sailing the seas. If you allow small dingies, there is no reason to risk your PoE on more vulnerable ships, which is the heart of the game. I think this would be overused, personally.
[Jul 29, 2003 4:48:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

The whole point is to train the players into not burying their money on the islands, but rather sticking with the ships they serve on until they get back to a port with a bank. Once you stop leaving money on Oyster, or Byrne (or spring or Wrasse or so on..) but keeping it onboard until Alpha or Guava, you won't need to go retrieve it.

Leaving mid-voyage is terribly bad anyway, I for one hate it when crew scatters in the middle of nowhere.
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Jul 29, 2003 5:50:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
Verio

I actually like this idea alot...

As someone who has sailed since a very young age, and has even taught it for a few years, i would love to see some sort of smaller one or two man boats out there.

Anyone ever sailed a hobie 16 or 18? Something along these lines would be great, maybe costing 1-2k PoE.

My thoughts in terms of use would be this, these boats ive named are super fast, but to compensate, im hoping it could be made that one must sail rather well to keep them moving (which is true, sailing these boats isnt easy). And if you booch sailing... it capsizes! Meaning maybe your stuck for a period of time, 15-30 seconds whatever, wherein you could be attacked, melee only i would presume, before you right the boat and continue on your way. Also, to balance their speed, you could maybe also implement another real trait of these boats... they turn SLOW, so maybe each league point there is also a pause. These boats would have no cargo space, and either A) No way to empty bilge, unless you beach it, or B) bilge empties automatically but slowly.

I dunno, i think something along these lines is needed, at least to make it easier to move money between islands that dont have linked banks, or banks at all.
[Jul 29, 2003 6:41:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OmegaZero

yar, personal sailboats rock. Also, no cannons of course. You would need an extra ammount of rum too, just to even it out.
[size=9]"I do not know what type of weapons World War III will be fought with, however, World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" - Albert Einstein

~OmegaZero

[Jul 30, 2003 7:02:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://zero.foxwyn.net    LunaxLupus [Link]  Go to top 
Vgnight

i suggested something of this sort a long time ago but it was for transportation use (we did not have farrie back then) and it got shot down.
[Jul 30, 2003 10:40:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    vgnight    vgnight [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Farrie.

Absolutely stunning.

As for the sailboat idea, I don't see the point of retaining the whisking limitations if someone can just move money around on these tiny boats that no one can touch because of attack restrictions.

Get in a crew and have them help you. That's what the game is all about.
[Jul 30, 2003 10:54:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
OmegaZero

harhar matey, i'm in a crew, altho they havent helped alot, they've taken me pilaging many a time. tis my 2nd day and i'll have a small sloop tomorrow :D booyaka. too bad their's a 2k promo fee to officer -_-.

~OmegaZero

[Jul 30, 2003 12:31:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://zero.foxwyn.net    LunaxLupus [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

That was directed at the proverbial newbie needing to get at his remote stash.
[Jul 30, 2003 12:43:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

OmegaZero wrote: 
harhar matey, i'm in a crew, altho they havent helped alot, they've taken me pilaging many a time. tis my 2nd day and i'll have a small sloop tomorrow :D booyaka. too bad their's a 2k promo fee to officer -_-.

Well that'll only be another few hours pillaging. But if they haven't helped a lot, I wouldn't see that changing once you've given them money...
[Jul 30, 2003 1:10:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verio

My vision of this is that these boats WOULD be able to be attacked. And to put it simply, if attacked in these, your prolly screwed.

The thing that keeps you from being attacked constantly would be good sailing. Skilled sailing will keep these boats moving too fast to catch, bad sailing, and youll be puttering around indefinitely.

As for me, i HAVE a crew, but i dont feel justified pestering the captain to take us to 3-4 islands just so i can wrangle up a few extra hundred poe.
[Jul 30, 2003 10:45:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OmegaZero

aye, i am a newbie, tis more then true. They're good guys and I've only been there 3 days now, 3 days isnt much time to know and help a guy out now is it? ;)

~OmegaZero

[Jul 31, 2003 2:25:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://zero.foxwyn.net    LunaxLupus [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates