• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 24
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7568 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
billbasaur

[Suggestion] Auction Block

This is my girlfriend's idea (Pirate name: Delight), and I decided to post it in here...I may be boochin', but I didn't see anything like this in my digs through the forums...

An auction block in the "Town Square" of an island would be a boon to the game; for one, it means that the person in charge of the auction doesn't have to put up with pages and pages of messages or /tells. It also makes it easier for potential item-hunters to find some of the hard-to-craft items like Crowns, Tiaras, and Laurels.

The sale of the item to the highest bidder would be automatic, and the money could flow straight into the seller's bank account.

Just an idea, wonderin' what others think of it...
----------------------------------------
Dmitri
[Mar 1, 2004 3:06:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Re: [Suggestion] Auction Block

There's already an out of game solution implemented. Support this site, and it becomes more useful!

On the list to be implemented: Consignment Shops. This isn't the best thread on the topic, but a search for "Consignment Shop" (All keywords, show as posts, Forum=Game Design) turns up some good discussions. While not a first-round feature, I could see auctions being implemented there eventually.

Good ideas. "Consignment" isn't really an intuitive keyword to search on, but there ye have it.

atteSmythe,
in a searching mood today

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Mar 1, 2004 3:14:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
NikellsUK

Sounds good, like a trade window but with bids?
Nikells[size=9]
-Pirate
The Nameless Corsairs
Under the flag Looterati
[Mar 1, 2004 3:14:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://nikells.shackspace.com    NikelliusUK [Link]  Go to top 
Segekihei

I like the auction idea as well. An option for a blind/highest bidder auction, maybe?
狙撃兵

Goodbye...hello?
[Mar 1, 2004 5:45:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/~mike_segekihei    flareon805 [Link]  Go to top 
billbasaur

Segekihei wrote: 
I like the auction idea as well. An option for a blind/highest bidder auction, maybe?

That would be a huge boost to the system. And the interface would be similar to the Trade interface, accessed through a Noticeboard of sorts, but with only one item slot for the seller and only a PoE slot for bidders.
Dmitri
[Mar 1, 2004 9:03:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

atteSmythe wrote: 
There's already an out of game solution implemented. Support this site, and it becomes more useful!

On the list to be implemented: Consignment Shops. This isn't the best thread on the topic, but a search for "Consignment Shop" (All keywords, show as posts, Forum=Game Design) turns up some good discussions. While not a first-round feature, I could see auctions being implemented there eventually.

Good ideas. "Consignment" isn't really an intuitive keyword to search on, but there ye have it.

atteSmythe,
in a searching mood today

Is there any way to make the search show this as a 'pawn shop'. I have a feeling it might reduce multiple topics on the subject.

I would say an auction house is either something that a pawn/consignment house should have, or the furnature shop (don't know why, I just invision antique furnature stores with an auction floor for some odd reason).
Captain of the greatest crew in the seas.
King of the honorable and just flag Imperio.

Retired

Adversus solem ne loquitor
[Mar 1, 2004 9:19:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

"Consignment Shoppes" are going to be "Auction Houses"

The actual workings of consignment are just too slow, and auctions would be useful for other items as well.
[Mar 1, 2004 9:58:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Nemo wrote: 

The actual workings of consignment are just too slow, and auctions would be useful for other items as well.

Cool deal:)

Retired

[Mar 1, 2004 10:03:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

i like it all

and as for the auctions on that site that attesmythe noted, i didnt know about it, and i just dont think it would be active enough

i think something in game would be necessary, but it is indeed a very good replacement
[Mar 1, 2004 10:31:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
billbasaur

Nemo wrote: 

So it is going to come up in a future release? Yay! ^_^
And auctions could work well for any item, Nemo. Ships, swords, clothes, charts...possibly even large amounts of a resource, if it wasn't too hard to program. Though I doubt commodidies would be on the block, with the existing sell-buy system...
Dmitri
[Mar 2, 2004 1:33:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

billbasaur wrote: 
Nemo wrote: 

So it is going to come up in a future release? Yay! ^_^
And auctions could work well for any item, Nemo. Ships, swords, clothes, charts...possibly even large amounts of a resource, if it wasn't too hard to program. Though I doubt commodidies would be on the block, with the existing sell-buy system...

I can just see it now:

Live! This weekend only, the estate of *old big dead flag here* will be auctions off! Everything must go! Shops, ships, 'ell even the sleepin caps! Come one come all! Fun times indeed:)

Retired

[Edit 1 times, last edit by AkMedic at Mar 2, 2004 4:44:38 AM]
[Mar 2, 2004 4:44:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Oooh, I love it - the Estate Sale auction! This would solve the "where do expirate pirates' things go?" problem - when a pirate is about to be removed due to their account expiring, their stuff (not cash) is auctioned off. This allows their crew/flag to try to recover ships or shops that that pirate held the deeds to, and of course gives people a chance at really cheap clothes or swords.
[Mar 2, 2004 5:10:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

muffy wrote: 
Oooh, I love it - the Estate Sale auction! This would solve the "where do expirate pirates' things go?" problem - when a pirate is about to be removed due to their account expiring, their stuff (not cash) is auctioned off. This allows their crew/flag to try to recover ships or shops that that pirate held the deeds to, and of course gives people a chance at really cheap clothes or swords.

And the poe goes nowhere. Moneysink!

atteSmythe,
who likes the estate sale idea

[Mar 2, 2004 5:13:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

It even gets more interesting in terms of islands. Let's say flag A truely does die, and have holdings which inslude an island. Would we auction the island as a whole. Would it be devided! Hard to say.

It also would require cash on hand, and a live auction form of bidding (which I think personally is more enjoyable and fun than what we've seen with the other forms of bidding for shops, etc.). There could even be events tied into it, and if you had a large auction, it could be hosted by Om's, famous folks, etc. I think the potential for it is pretty great.

You can bet the ship name auction will be highly attended! Or how about the livestock auction (for all ye sheep and pig lovers). If you got really creative, the new features (let's say player housing) could be auctioned off two weeks prior to it's release to tbhe public, and so as to make it fair (and not just for the rich), you could even do as the Ringers did last go, which is have seperate auctions for large/small flags. I see alot of potential in this.

Retired

[Mar 2, 2004 5:25:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

AkMedic wrote: 
It even gets more interesting in terms of islands. Let's say flag A truely does die, and have holdings which inslude an island. Would we auction the island as a whole. Would it be devided! Hard to say.

I would be very very surprised if another flag hadn't already blockaded these fading stars before any auctioning was needed.
[Mar 2, 2004 5:44:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mixolyde

atteSmythe wrote: 
And the poe goes nowhere. Moneysink!

No! The PoE gets buried on a random island with a map given out ;-)
Officer Mixolyde of Black Moon under the flag of The Avatars

http://www.techhouse.us <-- My community of dorks
[url=http://www.midnightsun.tk]http://www.midnights
[Mar 2, 2004 5:51:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.techhouse.us/Hosted/Brianw/    Mixolyde_79    Mixolyde [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Nemo wrote: 
AkMedic wrote: 

I would be very very surprised if another flag hadn't already blockaded these fading stars before any auctioning was needed.

Possible, but it really depends on where the flag is, what they hold etc. While a flag which say holds Epsilon (an example, really;) and slowly lost their in game power would be a prime target, would anyone care about Endurance? I suppose it depends.

I'm imagine an island would be an example of what you say better than most, as it's a more immediate and desirable target. However, things such as individual shops, boats etc. (espically if a communial 'flag owned' ship system was ever implemented) would more likely be a potential target of 'liquidation'.

I don't know, auctioning off an abondoned island to me isn't a bad idea, espically if there was some state of disrepair that befalls an island abandoned.

Retired

[Mar 2, 2004 5:56:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

AkMedic wrote: 
Nemo wrote: 
AkMedic wrote: 

...I don't know, auctioning off an abondoned island to me isn't a bad idea, espically if there was some state of disrepair that befalls an island abandoned.

I'm not saying whether it would be a good or bad idea. I'm saying it wouldn't happen. I am certain that before every member of an island-holding flag stopped playing someone would come along to claim the island. It wouldn't matter how inconvenient the island (they won't be able to be colonized if they're too inconvenient, but that's another topic and shouldn't clutter this thread), if it was easy enough to take, someone would take it.

Regardless, there are many things that can be auctioned. I'm sure we'll see plenty of ship deeds and probably a few shoppe deeds.
[Mar 2, 2004 6:21:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Nemo wrote: 
It wouldn't matter how inconvenient the island...if it was easy enough to take, someone would take it.

I'd take it just to say we did. An 'extra' island would make one heck of an event prize. ;)

atteSmythe,
probably off his gourd

[Mar 2, 2004 6:31:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Nemo wrote: 
AkMedic wrote: 
Nemo wrote: 
AkMedic wrote: 

...I don't know, auctioning off an abondoned island to me isn't a bad idea, espically if there was some state of disrepair that befalls an island abandoned.

I'm not saying whether it would be a good or bad idea. I'm saying it wouldn't happen. I am certain that before every member of an island-holding flag stopped playing someone would come along to claim the island. It wouldn't matter how inconvenient the island (they won't be able to be colonized if they're too inconvenient, but that's another topic and shouldn't clutter this thread), if it was easy enough to take, someone would take it.

Regardless, there are many things that can be auctioned. I'm sure we'll see plenty of ship deeds and probably a few shoppe deeds.

Fair enough. I would however say that islands such as Endurance (the most worthless island in the seas, imho), could be potentially auctioned off to then encourage colonisation. You may however be very right in that all islands now free will be taken, and thus, the flag's will eventually control all islands, and should one fall, another flag will rise to take it's place. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing an unimportant island auctioned off, if nothign else for a land grab (I guess just instead of blockades, not in place of).

However, point taken, and plenty of thigns better to be auctionin' off!

Retired

[Edit 1 times, last edit by AkMedic at Mar 2, 2004 7:01:38 AM]
[Mar 2, 2004 7:01:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
billbasaur

Wow...I honestly didn't expect my thread to grow anywhere near this quickly. Sweet! :D
Dmitri
[Mar 2, 2004 7:55:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
djet13

So does anyone have a clue when this would be implemented?
[Jul 4, 2006 10:20:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

No.

Faulkston,
minding the bump
[Jul 4, 2006 10:43:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
StillMyst

That settles it. If Faulkston doesn't know, no one does. Except of course, the powers that be.

Neeeeeeemo!!!! Tell ALL!!
Mogget / Midnight
Take my PoE, take my land
Take my brigs and frigates grand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sea from me...

[Jul 5, 2006 3:10:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates