• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 192
Posts: 192   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 39326 times and has 191 replies Next Thread
wharuh

Re: Meta Soy? Reply to this Post

Unfortunately, we can speculate all we want and yet we'll hear nothing of importance from either any Ringers...
----------------------------------------
Have a fishy stick!
[Sep 11, 2006 1:53:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Unfortunately, we can speculate all we want and yet we'll hear nothing of importance from either any Ringers...

Mmm, community-built hype. Better than the real thing, with less work!

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Sep 12, 2006 9:03:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
quiglin

Atte wrote: 

Meh, it worked for some snakes.
[Sep 12, 2006 9:15:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.quiglin.com    bquiglin    bquiglin [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Hello,

I missed this one being in the desert. CMP of course didn't tell me they were posting the talk, yet. There's plenty of information right there (more than I might have disclosed at this time).

It's not full 3D, that's Bang! You'll have to see the D's.

Although Ninjas will be (rarely) seen in MetaSOY, we must also represent for Zombies, Bunnies and people with (delicious) Big Noses. It's all about Democracy this time, folks.

The SoyaBean on the ooo site header is for MetaSOY, not SoyaBean (they just did our original logo for print, we do everything else in the house).

The SOY does indeed stand for Son of Yohoho. We were going to (and may yet) do SOY, but it all went meta on us.

Capn's not allowed to say a lot more for now.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cleaver at Sep 13, 2006 12:37:59 AM]
[Sep 13, 2006 12:35:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Fonqueesha

Well, that just fueled my curiosity bonfire. Thanks for that gallon of diesel!

EDIT

Apparently I cannot spell "of"
Fonqueesha, Sage, Halcyon....
Trying to find time to play the game...
Glaucus wrote: 
Go directly to the locker. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 PoE.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fonqueesha at Sep 13, 2006 9:11:33 AM]
[Sep 13, 2006 9:10:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

Sounds interesting. Big noses? I don't like that, though.
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Sep 13, 2006 11:12:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

STuff

So.. vague.. I think Cleaver just made the speculation worse :P.

But that makes people want to see it so hmmm.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Sep 14, 2006 11:10:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

I speculate that everything in MetaSOY will be made from soybeans, including the code itself. You will need to buy a block of tofu with a USB port to run it.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Sep 14, 2006 11:30:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I speculate that everything in MetaSOY will be made from soybeans, including the code itself. You will need to buy a block of tofu with a USB port to run it.

Someone please photoshop this for me, as I'm too busy buried in secs, cots and other mathematical uglies, and don't have time.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Sep 14, 2006 2:17:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Sep 14, 2006 3:03:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
yohohobob

Although Ninjas will be (rarely) seen in MetaSOY, we must also represent for Zombies, Bunnies and people with (delicious) Big Noses. It's all about Democracy this time, folks.

so what your short or saying is it will be is yohoho democratic Ninjas, zombies, bunnies and big nosed things, who sail the seven seas set in a strange land/space.
Madyohoho SO of Di Cerberus-Retired
Lord of Arcana Imperii(Viridian)[quote]Remember, I'm the one that sits back and giggles at you mates while sipping masttails in my pajamas. Besides, Y!PP isn't a game; it's a way of life
[Sep 14, 2006 4:46:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
char

They needed big noses to counter the fact that YPP doesn't have noses...
Zife
Senior Officer of Black Death
Host of the 11th Black Death Tournament
Co-Host of the 10th Black Death Tournament
[Sep 14, 2006 9:42:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kharnor

Is this a competition for the most outlandish theory about OOO's evil plans for this new game? Let's give it a shot :D

Okay, let's look at what we got here. First, the name.
Wikipedia wrote: 
"meta" (along with "ortho" and "para") is used to distinguish the three types of isomer of disubstituted benzenes....
wait wrong part. :P

a common English prefix, used to indicate a concept which is an abstraction from another concept, used to analyze the latter. For example "metaphysics" refers to things beyond physics, and "meta language" refers to a type of language or system which describes language.

So, it's a game about SOY.
Cleaver wrote: 
We were going to (and may yet) do SOY, but it all went meta on us.

So they were going to make SOY, then decided it would be better to make a game about SOY. Hmm...
GDC wrote: 
we expect to deliver some insight on the development and operation of a player-created content driven online world

So, the players a creating content in a game about SOY. Or, to put it simply, the players are making SOY.

the item-based microcurrency business model ... will be continued for MetaSOY

And paying OOO for the privelige of making their game for them, too!

What we have here, folks, is gamegardens v2.0.
Instead of making a new game, the devs just make the tools to make a new game, and give some away for free. The "players" then use the tools to make code, which is "fun". Players buy "soybeans" from OOO for a few cents each, which they can trade in for access to more advanced tools with which to write more advanced code, which is more "fun". Players can also get soybeans off other players by trading their code in exchange for soybeans. Players can gamble with other players by betting their code on the outcome of a random number generator. There are also monthly competitions where OOO gives out little GUI widgets fo the best coders, or auctions them off to people who will trade the most code/soybeans for them.
We're through the looking-glass here people!

...oh wait that's just puzzlepirates with puzzles replaced by Java. Carry on. :)
Kharnor, perpetual junior officer of the Lost Lot
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kharnor at Sep 18, 2006 3:54:37 AM]
[Sep 18, 2006 3:52:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

It does sound very MU*y. I played on TinyCWRU a long time ago, and I remember really enjoying how I could code up rooms, robots, devices, all sorts of stuff, and have it actually exist in the world, interact with people, etc. If metaSOY is a 'modern' take on that, I'll be very excited.

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Sep 18, 2006 9:16:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

Considering the contents of Cleaver's blog, I'd be willing to put down a small sum on it being a MU*, or along those lines, with graphics. Which I'd be very disappointed about, to be quite honest. There's something that doesn't ring quite true for me about the talk of Las Vegas vs Burning Man.

See, at Las Vegas they want to encourage repeat visitors, whereas with Burning Man, everyone's doing what they enjoy doing leaving the poor newbie to wander around awestruck, confused and frustrated. Which, not surprisingly, is a good description of my MUD experiences. My favourite game structure is to severly limit the player's freedom at the start of the game while they learn the interface and the the rules of your system, and as they master each rule, start opening things up so they eventually can do everything in the game. I haven't yet seen a MUD that does that - it's mostly a single-player thing, and I just don't understand why it's not done more.

With Burning Man, you can grab all these things and build an awesome campsite. Las Vegas it's built for you. If you like building things, it's great, but not everyone's handy with tools and because it's something the popular people are doing and what everyone's talking about you sort of think the point of Burning Man is to build the best campsite you can. It's not, really.

With Burning Man, the community is all in one place, and one time, and is committed to the experience for every hour of every day. This happens in online games as well, and these people live in Korea and have their ingame funerals ganked by the Horde. When you patiently explain to developers that it's unreasonable to expect us to log in at the same time as the Americans as they're up to half a world away, and that 3 in the morning is an unreasonable time to decide that everything should start happening and all the player base is invited, you get, at best, a confused shrug. Developers are either offline game designers or community managers or interactive storytellers, and it shows.

Burning Man is out in the middle of the desert and you have to bring enough supplies for seven days camping in the desert. Las Vegas has no such requirements. So those people who honestly couldn't be arsed packing for seven days camping in the desert and then coming up with a campsite idea to attract people to get that community going are not going to come, while the people who've put the commitment in are probably going to be good assets to the community. The point I'm getting at is that Burning Man is remote and taxing and slightly on the extreme side and if Meta Soy is going to make any money it's probably going to be not exactly those things. Which will kind of ruin the point.

At least in WoW I can pretend to be the saviour of Azeroth, although there's tens of thousands of saviours and the game lies to make us think we're the only ones. But if, as Terra Nova claims, MMOs are set to become a new form of expression, why is it unreasonable to expect that expression? Why is it that the only time we can affect an online game's world is when we had to build it ourselves from the ground up? Why is it that in-game histories are either scripted story sequences or kings and dates and conquests, while in the real world we can make two-hour documentaries about

And why do I get the feeling that Cleaver is just about to do everything I fear above?
I took my own advice.
[Sep 19, 2006 1:06:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StoneKrush

Do I smell an open ended MMORPG?!?
SALMON from Cobalt- on Shanty Raidio
The Cross-Dressing Pirate
Salmon says, "Ahoy again"
Cleaver says, "Hello scumbag"

[Sep 19, 2006 1:40:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.shantyraidio.com/    ShantySalmon [Link]  Go to top 
Fabled240

Hello,

I missed this one being in the desert. CMP of course didn't tell me they were posting the talk, yet. There's plenty of information right there (more than I might have disclosed at this time).

It's not full 3D, that's Bang! You'll have to see the D's.

The SoyaBean on the ooo site header is for MetaSOY, not SoyaBean (they just did our original logo for print, we do everything else in the house).

The SOY does indeed stand for Son of Yohoho. We were going to (and may yet) do SOY, but it all went meta on us.

Capn's not allowed to say a lot more for now.

Speaking of rarely, will we see the Ninjas? Back on the subject, just the word Democratic got me hooked. From SOY (Son of Yohoho), Im guessing that this was spawned from YPP's success and is to follow a type of format that it followed. But, will it be So Meaty?

-Hunter,
Easy Tom?
May Toes?
Atom Yes?
King of VVV on the Hunter Ocean.
Hypnos tells you, "It's Hunter of Hunter! Yay! :D"
Lotsofgoats wrote: 
YOUR FACE IS A BUTT

Lotsofgoats tells you, "I don't really think your face is a butt <3"
[Sep 23, 2006 7:02:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tirix

I think I've got a clue:
http://www.mloslovakia.sk/metasoy.htm

The ringers are obviously looking for low cost developpers in Slovakia, and already have a recipe for getting the most out of them !
[Sep 24, 2006 6:01:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fabled240

I think I've got a clue:
http://www.mloslovakia.sk/metasoy.htm

The ringers are obviously looking for low cost developpers in Slovakia, and already have a recipe for getting the most out of them !

Could that be the equivalent to a Doubloon on a Doubloon Ocean?

-Hunter,
Gimme mah MetaSoy.

When ever beta testing is, you know where to find me :D
Lotsofgoats wrote: 
YOUR FACE IS A BUTT

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fabled240 at Sep 24, 2006 6:57:56 AM]
[Sep 24, 2006 6:51:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vexorg

Sigged.
Vexorg: Apparently still in some crew somewhere, Midnight
(May actually exist)
Yee: No, it's not a breakfast cereal.
AtteSmythe wrote: 

[Sep 25, 2006 1:08:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hypnos
OceanMaster

Maybe Puzzle Pirates is Vegas, and MetaSoy will be Burning Man. Just saying.

Then you can have both kinds in one company!

I like the fact that B!H is so vastly different than Y!PP. I am anticipating that MetaSoy will be very different from both games.
face down in the soup again - Avatar by Sharktail of Sage
Cnuofesd of Viridian wrote: 
I regually snort porridge oats up my nose too.

[Sep 25, 2006 11:01:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
polny

Hypnos wrote: 
I like the fact that B!H is so vastly different than Y!PP. I am anticipating that MetaSoy will be very different from both games.

Yes, it would be a pity were it to turn out to be the same toy.
[A]nd even coldly calculating people do not succeed half so well in life as those properly blended temperaments who are capable of deep feeling for those persons and conditions that happen to serve their own interests. - Robert Musil
[Sep 25, 2006 11:48:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fabled240

Maybe Puzzle Pirates is Vegas, and MetaSoy will be Burning Man. Just saying.

Then you can have both kinds in one company!

I love the difference between Y!PP and B!H, and I want that in MetaSOY. But the only similiarity is I want it to be a MMO. I love to be able to play, roam, etc and do a bunch of stuff with all of my friends. The only problem is we don't know how MetaSOY will turn out. We have Pirates in Y!PP and Cowboys (And Cowgirls) in B!H. What will be in MetaSOY (Pills?)?

-Hunter,
Highly anticipating MetaSOY :O))
Lotsofgoats wrote: 
YOUR FACE IS A BUTT

[Sep 25, 2006 12:26:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Really, I just want a game which provides me with ways to contribute to the play experience, and a game which allows for the contribution of skills I actually have (rather than just arrrt).
[Sep 25, 2006 12:57:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

I know quite clearly what autism is, before you get any ideas. Reply to this Post

This is what gives me the confidence to declare, sight unseen, that I'm probably not going to like MetaSoy, for the reasons outlined earlier. It won't be like Three Rings' other products. I can take it on the merits of its concept, and the concept is Not My Thing. Then again, I've always held that YPP is an abberation in my playstyle - I never play online, and when I do I play like an autistic kid, the other players a form of AI that sometimes parse my jokes, and thus deserving of a bit of respect. MMOGs are Not My Thing, so perhaps I should be so hard on MetaSoy. I guess I'm upset that I'm taking tentative steps into MMOGs only to see them leave me behind, and there's something profoundly disturbing in the way some in the industry hold up the tales coming out of Eve Online, to use the most prominent example, as the future of MMOGs.

In any case, I am longwinded and boring so PM me if you want me to talk your ear off about this.
I took my own advice.
[Sep 26, 2006 4:52:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I'm unsure of whether it's still possible in YPP. Reply to this Post

homullus wrote: 
Really, I just want a game which provides me with ways to contribute to the play experience

This is a tall order.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Sep 26, 2006 5:01:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

I, on the other hand, find it a shallow statement. Reply to this Post

homullus wrote: 
Really, I just want a game which provides me with ways to contribute to the play experience

This is a tall order.

When one hits a cricket ball, one contributes to the play experience of cricket. It is rather difficult not to contribute to the play experience if you're part of the game; if a game is a series of interesting decisions, anything, including the actions of other players, that changes the decisions changes the experience.

Contribute meaningfully, yes, but then I'm less and less convinced every day that this is a goal worth striving for. One person's meaningful contribution will be another's anathema (look at the HWFO over pretty much every release for the last year, and these are the professionals here). The only time I don't see some poor bastard who didn't ask for it becoming the star of their own horror story is if everyone's pushing in the same direction, and then the game is dreadfully boring unless you give players something Vegas to do.

By the same token, though, it's possible to contribute meaningfully to a game even if you're explicitly not allowed to. Dopefish from World of Warcraft is a good example - hugely influential, doing something that the creators explicitly prohibit in a game with no in-game method to influence it meaningfully. And yet...

I'm surprised by the amount of people who talk about Burning Man once they've left, but somehow I don't think Burning Man would be so appealing if it were held in Anaheim so anyone could come and visit for a couple of hours or if the whole world was Burning Man.
I took my own advice.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Matthias at Sep 26, 2006 6:04:53 AM]
[Sep 26, 2006 6:02:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shantybones

Hypnos wrote: 

Yes, it would be a pity were it to turn out to be the same toy.

I love that "MetaSOY" anagrams to "Same toy." Very witty, Polny!
Shantybones of Midnight, retired from active duty
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
[Sep 26, 2006 2:49:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

See, at Las Vegas they want to encourage repeat visitors, whereas with Burning Man, everyone's doing what they enjoy doing leaving the poor newbie to wander around awestruck, confused and frustrated.

Ahem, have you been? That wasn't my experience, or that of most people I know who've been. The distinction between BM and Vegas isn't so much on the question of fun and accessibility of said fun (minus the waay out in the desert bit) but rather to do with *who is making the fun* and *why*.

That said, there's no question that we're just going to make a barren building-oriented environment. We are all about making a fun experience, first and foremost. That's the main thing in PP, and it'll be the main thing in metasoy, too.
[Sep 26, 2006 3:42:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

Is anyone else slightly reminiscent of AlphaWorld? Err, Active Worlds, or whatever they're calling it now. The game went downhill once they started charging for subscriptions to play, but it was great before then. I think I'll enjoy MetaSOY.
[Sep 26, 2006 4:02:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 192   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates