• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 20
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5375 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
Seishino

Pirate Time v 1.0 Reply to this Post

One more little app for the community.

Pirate Time! It displays a little clock in the upper-right corner of Puzzle Pirates. It can display your local time, or the official Pirate Time (the time in California). It can do all sorts of wonderful things like, erm, display time.

For those worried, it doesn't modify the application in any way... it's just a small window that opens in the right spot above Puzzle Pirates. It needs to be run when you run puzzle pirates, or it can sit in your system tray waiting.

Windows only (sorry). Might still be Kludgy (sorry).

Let me know if it runs slowly on your system, or if the fonts / image doesn't align properly. Adding new time formats is easy, so if you're particular to day/year/month format (or whatever), just ask.

http://www.chriscanfield.net/resources/downloads/PirateTime.zip

If anyone has a good replacement watch icon, please let me know.

Thanks!

PirateTime@chriscanfield.net
----------------------------------------
Viridian - Seishino
Skellie Alert - Pirate Time
[Aug 23, 2006 6:50:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chriscanfield.net [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Re: Pirate Time v 1.0 Reply to this Post

Request for a Pirate Time Clock for the Windows Vista Gadget bar++ :)

Nifty tool...
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Aug 23, 2006 7:30:38 AM]
[Aug 23, 2006 6:52:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Windows only (sorry).

Boo. Hiss. Grrr. (Same complaint regarding Skellie Alert btw).

I was trying to avoid installing Wine on this box for the (very few) w32-based apps I use, but I guess it's almost worth it at this point.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Aug 23, 2006 8:11:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DarkTyger

Windows only (sorry).

Boo. Hiss. Grrr. (Same complaint regarding Skellie Alert btw).

I was trying to avoid installing Wine on this box for the (very few) w32-based apps I use, but I guess it's almost worth it at this point.

Pff. Just go ahead and give completely in to the Bor-...err, Micro$sha-....I mean, Microsoft. ;)
[Aug 23, 2006 8:36:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Pff. Just go ahead and give completely in to the Bor-...err, Micro$sha-....I mean, Microsoft. ;)

In 1999, I got my MCSE (just let it expire in 2004)...I know exactly what that OS consists of, and I don't approve. I'll stick to Debian and other Linux flavors, spankyeverymuch, kthxbai. :p
Epimetheus
Retired

[Aug 23, 2006 8:48:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seishino

Sorry about the Windows only thing. It's a cheap little script that took about 200 lines of code, most of which is devoted to the permutations of display options and getting a consistent reading of California time.

I would prefer to have this stuff for those rare occasions when I break out PP on my old Mac laptop. Is there a good cross-platform language out there that is specifically for rapidly creating simple applications that have some system integration, like easy determination of window title / position? C / Java is too detailed and their UI stuff winds up too platform-specific.

BTW, I have some ideas for version 1.1... we'll see how much time I have after my other jobs.
Viridian - Seishino
[Aug 23, 2006 6:59:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chriscanfield.net [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Bnavv

Sorry about the Windows only thing. It's a cheap little script that took about 200 lines of code, most of which is devoted to the permutations of display options and getting a consistent reading of California time.

I would prefer to have this stuff for those rare occasions when I break out PP on my old Mac laptop. Is there a good cross-platform language out there that is specifically for rapidly creating simple applications that have some system integration, like easy determination of window title / position? C / Java is too detailed and their UI stuff winds up too platform-specific.

BTW, I have some ideas for version 1.1... we'll see how much time I have after my other jobs.

Heh, use Virtual Pc on newer macs. Brand new macs using the Intel software are even faster. If it is just a clock, the graphical limits of VPC should still easily be able to handle it.

As for the older macs, the only cross-platform language i know of would be java. Sorry i couldnt be of more use =(
Darkbnavv on Meridian
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dark_Bnavv at Aug 24, 2006 12:35:00 AM]
[Aug 24, 2006 12:32:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

You know for sure Java's installed on any computer that someone would want to run your application on, and this seems like a four-liner...
[Aug 24, 2006 12:49:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Seishino

Version 1.1 (yeah, I up the version quickly)

Now asks if you want to launch Puzzle Pirates if you run Pirate Time and it isn't already open. *should* work for everyone's setups, but please let me know if it doesn't work on yours.

Still need to fix the thornier problem of a narrow window on wider puzzle frames.

Viridian - Seishino
[Aug 25, 2006 6:07:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chriscanfield.net [Link]  Go to top 
Brendenbat

Is it just me or is pirate time an hour to slow.
Brendabat - Hunter
Brendenbat - Sage
[Aug 25, 2006 7:10:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seishino

Gah! Daylight Savings Time was broken... I forgot to reference the year variable as an index rather than a string.

Fixed.
Viridian - Seishino
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Seishino at Aug 25, 2006 7:43:46 PM]
[Aug 25, 2006 7:43:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chriscanfield.net [Link]  Go to top 
char

Err mines still an hour off... (Sat 1:07AM really its 12:07AM)

Edit: I also get this message if I ask it to run Puzzle Pirates...

Zife
Senior Officer of Black Death
Host of the 11th Black Death Tournament
Co-Host of the 10th Black Death Tournament
[Edit 1 times, last edit by char at Aug 26, 2006 12:10:30 AM]
[Aug 26, 2006 12:07:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seishino

Hmm... sorry about the message. I attempt to use the registry key to determine the location of puzzle pirates, but it looks like I'm testing an older key. The newer key lists out the install directory for Java, not Puzzle Pirates.

Is there a better way to determine program location?

So that's what a beta test period is for.
Viridian - Seishino
[Aug 30, 2006 9:19:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chriscanfield.net [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Hmm, can you tell it to launch the line '"C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\java\bin\javaw.exe" -jar getdown-dop.jar .' perhaps setting the C:\ as a variable or wildcard...
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Aug 30, 2006 9:31:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seishino

Unfortunately, launching java directly doesn't quite solve the problem, as you have to be sure of the installed folder of PP to use as default. It took a while to figure that one out.

Ok, I now scan four locations for a link to Puzzle Pirates, then just ask the user to find it if it's not there. The locations are: Default install location, old version Registry install location, Registry uninstall location, and the INI file for whatever location worked last time.

Still working on:

Pirate time bug. Gah! What time is it? When is it what time it is where it is?
Resizing window to fit the app.

Thanks to everyone for putting up with the somewhat random software development philosophy.
Viridian - Seishino
[Aug 31, 2006 7:31:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chriscanfield.net [Link]  Go to top 
Seishino

Pirate Time v 1.2 Reply to this Post

New Version. Now scales with the sidebar, if you enter / exit puzzles. Changed the background to deal with this condition more elegantly. Lots of little bug fixes you probably don't want to be bored with.

Also now lets you resize the Puzzle Pirates window (requires a restart, natch). I implemented this to help test on different configurations, and it just made sense to keep it. It may not work on your configuration, and it will stop you from doing it if it won't. But please let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Also, If anyone is still having the time bug please let me know. Those problems *should* be ironed out.

*Note* Now that things seem stable and solid, I'll stop posting every five minutes. Thanks for your patience.
Viridian - Seishino
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Seishino at Sep 6, 2006 7:59:08 AM]
[Sep 5, 2006 7:30:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chriscanfield.net [Link]  Go to top 
Sjoerd2

Re: Pirate Time v 1.2 Reply to this Post

/info gives pirate time too?
Sjoerd of Hunter
Senior Officer and Cartographer of 'Booty Calls'
Member of 'The Swarm'
[Sep 6, 2006 10:31:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seishino

Re: Pirate Time v 1.5! Reply to this Post

Bet you guys thought I had forgotten all about this, eh?

Actually, I've been tinkering with this pretty thoroughly, and it took a long time to be happy with the results. Under the hood, things have been pretty cleaned up, even if it seems similar but better behaved.

+ Added "floating" option to the window.
Added ability to launch the game from the tray menu.
Now swaps clock image between local and pirate time.
Actually displays the version somewhere.
Re arranged menus.
Saturated clock colors.
Clock deals with moving windows more elegantly.
Numerous bug fixes.
Viridian - Seishino
[Feb 27, 2007 7:22:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chriscanfield.net [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

I do hate to bring this up, but what exactly is this meant to accomplish that /info (or an appropriate knowledge of time zone offsets) can't do? Personally, I live in CST, but since so many things I'm into (Puzzle Pirates, eBay, plus a few other hobbies) are dependent mainly on PST (Pacific/Pirate/California) time, I just know instinctively to subtract 2 hours.

Now, if this were something that I could use to determine what the local time is for another player (like, for example, one of my many hearties in Europe), then I could defiantly see the advantage.

Yamorg
-Waiting for the International version
Yamorg, Captain and Navigator
Founder, Privately Funded Pirates Association©
Midnight Ocean

[14:37:38] Mystere says, "Those without a barnacle , please come aboard the Pretty Gar"

[Feb 27, 2007 7:37:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
Seishino

I do hate to bring this up, but what exactly is this meant to accomplish that /info (or an appropriate knowledge of time zone offsets) can't do?

Mainly I just wanted to be able to keep track of the time while playing. And I needed a way to re-size Puzzle Pirates quickly to better fit my two differently-sized monitors. I just use Local time, mostly.

So no, not particularly useful. Just nice to have.

It would be pretty easy to change the clock to reflect any offset the player might want. Would it be helpful to just give the person the option of displaying any one time zone, or would you be looking for something more intricate like "hover over a hearty to get their time"?
Viridian - Seishino
[Apr 23, 2007 8:15:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chriscanfield.net [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates