• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 132
Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11998 times and has 131 replies Next Thread
Nek0jin

Re: Cyan Reply to this Post

Revisiting the math here, number of players online != amount of revenue generated for OOO.

-SNIP-

While I agree with your logic in the post there, you're forgetting one thing: Player load per server is a significant and important factor. We don't know what the optimum number of concurrent connections for any given server is, but I feel it's safe to say that OOO would be glad to let the Blue oceans keep on chugging away as they are, and add more Green oceans as the player count started getting, "too high."

Without knowing a lot more about the server architecture and the code base, I wouldn't even be able to estimate what the "target" number for each server is.

My money is on the next server being another Dub ocean.
[Aug 1, 2006 12:07:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Also: notice how on Viridian and Sage there are flags with 2200 pirates in them, of which 2000 are non-dub-buying cabin people. Demographics based simply on the number of pirates present are very skewed.

I don't know about other crews, but I can guarantee that in Rhodin's crew, at least a quarter of the CPs are actually the forage/labor/whisking alts of various officers. I also have low-ranking alts in other crews for various reasons though the vast majority of my Labor Alt Army is crewless (I didn't want to spam BE every time I played the alt shuffle).

I think OOO decides what kind of oceans to open based on the amount of money they're getting from each kind. Since so many credit card greenies are willing to subsidize us and our alt collections, OOO is more willing to open more green oceans.
----------------------------------------
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Aug 1, 2006 12:11:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
MiniMoses

The blue oceans offer OOO a more stable and long term income, whereas players on green oceans pay as they play, so to speak, and the only way to calculate income is based on previous months figures.

Similiar way for a professional sports team, you get people paying for a season ticket, and some people paying per game.
OOO can decide how to fund their next projects based on statistics and financial reports, which us gamers will never see. Its non of our business. But reaching 2 million new registered pirates must give you an idea that the company is going the right way with green oceans.

I personally dont see another blue ocean opening up. Because i feel there has been a trend of the whole pay as you play mentality.
Some players on green oceans buy success rather than working hard for it.

Personally, i have never subscribed to this game, and i have never bought a single dub with real cash, but i work and pillage hard, i have owned flags, crews, huge fleets, and at one short time, island ownership. And i dont actually spend that many hours a week on the game.
It is possible to be successful, and use the self advertised "free mmorph", but i bet, as a business, im the gamer they hate.
And there are more people like me out there.

I would concentrate on the ocean you are in, stop worrying about your friends and how they deserted you etc. They are entitled to enjoy this game to, in their own way.
Let OOO do what they think is best for their business plan, and carry on with our pirate lives. Because they arent going to listen or take note.
Drake
Captain of Clueless
Prince & Politician - Castigo Final.
squirt wrote: 
I'll take your word on this one, that he really doesn't mean to pick fights.. He's just.. British

[Aug 1, 2006 1:00:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

OOO turning distinctly positive revenue and doubloons being launched are tied very closely.

Doubs servers bring in more money than sub servers. Servers from here on in will be doubs, most likely.

I'm interested how the next few oceans will be, to tell you the truth. At some point, we're going to run out of 'experienced' people to seed the new oceans. Is a doub server as profitable when most of the officers don't know what rum is for? How does Hunter (which is rife with really ignorant, childish players. Not all of them, but surprisingly more than viridian and sage) compare in doubs spent compared to viridian and sage when they were the same age?
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by drc500free at Aug 1, 2006 1:09:25 PM]
[Aug 1, 2006 1:07:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amyliz33

Friends, skill, ages, politics, payment methods, and popularity aside, the explanation is simple (and has already been touched on).

Server Capacity.

Love to all my friends on all the oceans,
-Nazdar
Nazdar & Amyliz
[Aug 1, 2006 1:08:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MiniMoses

OOO turning distinctly positive revenue and doubloons being launched are tied very closely.

Doubs servers bring in more money than sub servers. Servers from here on in will be doubs, most likely.

I'm interested how the next few oceans will be, to tell you the truth. At some point, we're going to run out of 'experienced' people to seed the new oceans. Is a server as profitable when most of the officers don't know what rum is for?

Valid point Darvid;
Do you not think though that some officers will always migrate?
They come as a greenie, learn their trade, cant really move in an over powering and populated ocean, so move to start again and be something...
Or, someone booches in that ocean, and needs to escape, as we saw with Hunter.

If there is a chance to start again, in a new environment, wont people always look to move?
Drake
Captain of Clueless
squirt wrote: 
I'll take your word on this one, that he really doesn't mean to pick fights.. He's just.. British

[Edit 1 times, last edit by MiniMoses at Aug 1, 2006 1:10:37 PM]
[Aug 1, 2006 1:10:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Metal666head

If there is a chance to start again, in a new environment, wont people always look to move?

My point exactly.

wow, seven pages in less than a day.
Mudgrull - The infamous self muter. Yes it's possible.
Owner of the Greenie mountain

Send me a PM if ye want to know how to do it :)
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Metal666head at Aug 1, 2006 1:36:55 PM]
[Aug 1, 2006 1:34:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dewdlebug

In other words

Hom wrote: 
If you can't make it on Midnight or Cobalt, you will continue your mediocrity on another subscriber ocean. Take your fresh start and shove it in your booty hold, because the only kind of change that will bring about the results you desire is one from within.

Bo wrote: 
Oceans that aren't Midnight are for noobs who can't cut it.

With <3, of course
You know what they say about having sex with asians? You scupper them and you'll be horny again after an hour...
[Aug 1, 2006 1:38:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Mathematically, OOO makes more from having additional doubloon oceans than it does from having additional subscription ones.

Do the math yourself. Let's say that I want to be an officer with some nice clothing and a ship or two on every ocean.

With a subscription? I pay real-life cash once for the subscription, I work on every ocean to get the PoE, I can buy the stuff.

With doubloons? I pay real-life cash for the officer badge, clothes, and ships on every ocean I want them on. (Even if I don't buy the doubs, someone does, and that represents income)

Not that that pursuit of profit is the pure reason behind island openings. But if Midnight and Cobalt are barely breaking even, and both of them aren't quite at their server capacity yet, I don't see them opening one of the sake of opening one at any time in the near future.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Aug 1, 2006 1:46:45 PM]
[Aug 1, 2006 1:45:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I'm interested how the next few oceans will be, to tell you the truth. At some point, we're going to run out of 'experienced' people to seed the new oceans. Is a doub server as profitable when most of the officers don't know what rum is for? How does Hunter (which is rife with really ignorant, childish players. Not all of them, but surprisingly more than viridian and sage) compare in doubs spent compared to viridian and sage when they were the same age?

The irony is that, when it opened, a lot of experienced players moved to Hunter to try to get it off to a good start and make it the exception among doubloon oceans. (One side effect of this was a rating curve as tough as Ice or Midnight.) Then the floodgates opened, and that noble experiment failed almost immediately.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Aug 1, 2006 1:50:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraggard

PTG wrote: 
Mathematically, OOO makes more from having additional doubloon oceans than it does from having additional subscription ones.

Do the math yourself. Let's say that I want to be an officer with some nice clothing and a ship or two on every ocean.

With a subscription? I pay real-life cash once for the subscription, I work on every ocean to get the PoE, I can buy the stuff.

With doubloons? I pay real-life cash for the officer badge, clothes, and ships on every ocean I want them on. (Even if I don't buy the doubs, someone does, and that represents income)

Not that that pursuit of profit is the pure reason behind island openings. But if Midnight and Cobalt are barely breaking even, and both of them aren't quite at their server capacity yet, I don't see them opening one of the sake of opening one at any time in the near future.

I don't know why but that all sounds so familiar...
MiniMoses wrote: 
Personally, i have never subscribed to this game, and i have never bought a single dub with real cash, but i work and pillage hard, i have owned flags, crews, huge fleets, and at one short time, island ownership. And i dont actually spend that many hours a week on the game.
It is possible to be successful, and use the self advertised "free mmorph", but i bet, as a business, im the gamer they hate.

Now why would you think that?

You may not have actually bought any Dubs, but you certianly have sunk quite a few, which is what is good for OOO. If no Dubs were sunk, none would be bought by anyone.

Also I'm sure you have created challenegs and gameplay for other pirates that may have encouraged them to buy Dubs. And that is just as valuable to OOO as you buying them yourself.

I think these two things alone make you exactly the kind of player OOO wants.
Avatar used by permission of Scupperer
erfan wrote: 
It's not his, honey. He's posting pictures of other guys' snakes to make himself feel better because his isn't as impressive.

[Aug 1, 2006 1:57:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

Kragg wrote: 
MiniMoses wrote: 

Now why would you think that?

You may not have actually bought any Dubs, but you certianly have sunk quite a few, which is what is good for OOO. If no Dubs were sunk, none would be bought by anyone.

Also I'm sure you have created challenegs and gameplay for other pirates that may have encouraged them to buy Dubs. And that is just as valuable to OOO as you buying them yourself.

Aye, if doubloons are designed as a tradeoff between time and money, someone has to put in the time. That someone is MiniMoses!
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[Aug 1, 2006 4:08:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

So frankly, new oceans just split friends. I now chase my friends down all over the various Three Rings servers.

Silk honey, I would have a much easier time believing this was a problem for you, if not for that night that I started free tournies on every ocean, and got an immediate hellooooo I'm here! tell back from you on each one of them. <3

Part of the problem is that when you're starting to play, you never believe that you will stay, or how much you will play. So the doubloon model seems like the way to go. Then by the time you've figured out Hey! Maybe I *will* spend money on a computer game after all! it's too late to move, because everything you've built up and all the relationships you've established are on the doubloon ocean you started on.

Net result, blue oceans lose the people who should've been subscribers from the get-go to the green oceans.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 1, 2006 4:45:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elsquido

Only if you think the majority of people like to play all the oceans of their color. When Cobalt first started, sure, there were migrants from Midnight, but by and large now new Cobaltians are new Y!PPers, and Midnighters are staying on Midnight. (Don't believe me? Exhibit A your captain, Exhibit B your king). I like my math better :-P Your math really only holds for a very few people who think that five of them is better than one of them.

;) Squido, gently poking.
Squido!
Rotating avatars by Arshiss, Dian, Empanado, KingPriam, Raquaetta, SCURVYSOO, Shortyjack, Squido.
[Aug 1, 2006 4:55:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

There are people who do switch oceans frequently. I know of people who left cobalt and stayed in hunter and others coming from midnight to cobalt to stay and vise versa. It depends on how much you really want to start over. For some, it's worth it.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Aug 1, 2006 4:59:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stripey2004

1:37am GMT (you work out the timezones conversions, it's late here!)

Up midnight 1020
Up cobalt 847
Up viridian 1582
Up sage 1404
Up hunter 1024
Up ice 31
Total: 5908

Featherfin
SO - Ransack Marauders, Lord - Marauders Pact
YPPedia administrator | Island Designer
"What's the Welsh for sea cucumber?" - Orsino
[Edit 4 times, last edit by stripey2004 at Aug 1, 2006 5:42:29 PM]
[Aug 1, 2006 5:39:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeatherfinYIPP [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Sorry for taking shortcuts in my earlier post; "fresh start" has been a recurring topic for a long, long time, and I say the similar sorts of things every time it comes up.

Yes, some people go from B-list to A-list by changing oceans, or C-list to B-list. I put it to you that they have applied what they learned in their ocean of origin, and have changed from within.

Some people go from B-list to C-list, because they overestimate the amount that their reputation will precede them.

Lots of people stay right where they are.

All of you wanting a new subscription ocean are picturing yourselves in the upwardly-mobile group, of course. It's not particularly likely you will be . . . briefly recall the tragedy played out annually in December in homes all over the world, as students who were at the tops of their high school classes -- students who intended to have a great start to their college careers, make their parents proud, make a difference -- come home with poor grades because they were suddenly in a new situation, in competition with students who were ALSO at the tops of their high school classes. You go to a new ocean to get a good strong start -- you ALL go to a new ocean to get a good strong start. You can't all have one.

I agree that the "new ocean smell" phase of a new server has a certain mystique, a special one-time-only feel to it . . . I can see why somebody would want to do that, if he or she missed it. I can tell you that it's a lot of work and kinda sucks, and the only real reward is shooing the kids off your lawn when they complain about stuff later. I would characterize this as not worth it, but I doubt I'll be able to convince anyone of that.

Finally, as I've said many times before, the unit of currency in the game is the pirate. The more people who will listen to your jokes, your sales pitches, your event ideas, your harebrained political schemes, your calls for pillages, the richer you are, and the more of the game is available to you. New oceans have fewer people, which means that everyone is "poor" in this sense, and the disparity between the "rich" and everyone else can make a new ocean really frustrating if you're on the outside looking in.

I doubt there will be a new bluey, but it was fun to write about anyway.
[Aug 1, 2006 8:16:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Lets put it this way... Peopel always say Fun > Realism... And this seems to be a case of Money > Fun.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Aug 1, 2006 8:50:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraggard

Lets put it this way... Peopel always say Fun > Realism... And this seems to be a case of Money > Fun.

And how much fun would you have if OOO goes out of business and shuts down the servers?

Exactly.
Avatar used by permission of Scupperer
erfan wrote: 
It's not his, honey. He's posting pictures of other guys' snakes to make himself feel better because his isn't as impressive.

[Aug 1, 2006 9:45:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

The irony is that, when it opened, a lot of experienced players moved to Hunter to try to get it off to a good start and make it the exception among doubloon oceans. (One side effect of this was a rating curve as tough as Ice or Midnight.) Then the floodgates opened, and that noble experiment failed almost immediately.

I wonder if Three Rings would consider assisting in such an attempt by, er, opening the flood gates less and later?
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Aug 1, 2006 10:13:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nek0jin

Lack of Fun = Lack of Money. So it's not Money > Fun at all. The fun's still there.
[Aug 1, 2006 10:28:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

And how much fun would you have if OOO goes out of business and shuts down the servers?

Exactly.

Wow, I don't think you could've missed the point more.

I may not have been around too long, but I know that the game used to be all about fun. OMs would talk on the docks with people, blockades were not paid, and people did things for the good of the community. However, now, things are bland and generic. The 'personalized touch' is gone.

Oh, and to answer your question... If the game was shut down completly, I'd do what many others would do, and thats find a new game. It would be new and exciting, which means most likely more fun overall. The thing that keeps me playing this game is the people, and the commitment that I've made to them.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Aug 1, 2006 10:47:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

I may not have been around too long, but I know that the game used to be all about fun. OMs would talk on the docks with people, blockades were not paid, and people did things for the good of the community. However, now, things are bland and generic. The 'personalized touch' is gone.

The lack of 'personal touch' come from the fact that the game has grown, so has the company. The Senior Ringers are now running a company that is growing at a very accelerated rate. They now have two games to take care of, and an increasingly widening population to cater to (I doubt as many people split their time equally between Bang! and Y!PP anymore.) 2 years ago, the OMs only had to deal with 1000-1500 players at a time. Now they have to deal with upwards of 5000 players at a time. Yet the community still runs fairly smoothly, and the game is still much scam, spam and idiot ridden than most other games out there. A lot of this is because the player culture, even on the worst doubloon ocean is stil much more intelligent than some other games out there. Especially free ones.

Yes, it'd be nice if the OMs could spend more time on the docks and communicate with their players. But I'm sure, being as they are all players of the game, would like to spend abit of time playing the game instead of running it.

Frankly, I still see tons more 'personal touch' than other games. They still do communicate with players in the forum. They still do show up on the docks on occasion. With how many other games do you see that? Hell, players get burnt out dealing with greenies and other factors in the game. How do you think the OMs feel? They probably see the dredge of YPP society on a constant basis, whereas most players if they so desire can escape it. Yet it seems we cant' allow them to be abit burnt out at times and not be all over the place.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Aug 2, 2006 12:14:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MiniMoses

Just to go back a couple of posts...

Kraggard

I never actually thought about it that way, but yea, that does make a lot of sense

Rsenkrantz

Aye, if doubloons are designed as a tradeoff between time and money, someone has to put in the time. That someone is MiniMoses!

Thankyou ! I was actually quite proud of the fact that i dont buy dubs and am still able to be a moderate success.... i have come to accept that i will never be the top pirate in the ocean, because those that do pay with real cash will always be able to out do me in fleets, in development, in jobbers pay. As they can pay more than i can earn.
But i am willin to keep working, get my fleet, blockade, sink them hard earned ships, and start over again, and take the flak when people telling me i am disgrace and my flag is falling apart.

In reply to Goth
I agree with what you say, i believe the OMs are over stretched.
The times ive had a chat with them via petition has always been professional, and when ive had an OM on my ship for a rename they seem a little more relaxed. Having a little joke once in a while.

I do feel however, that sometimes they are that worried about their targets that customer service slips, and maintaining a good ethos in the game and sticking to their own TOS. I wont go into details but i know i have been, and several others have been annoyed that they dont follow through on their rules. Especially against a player who is known to have spent a ton of cash on the game.
Didnt OOO hire a new OM lately? Unless that person is training, nothing has been heard from them. But i dont think hiring 1 extra OM is enough to cover the workload of the increase in pirates.
And if they let the devs worry about the game going forward, and the OMs on the actual policing and customer service, with that more personal touch you talk about, this game would get better.
Even still, it falls below Runescape in MMORPG charts... and that game is boring, repetitive, and without challenges. But their customer service aspect is good quality (so i hear, never played it)
Drake
Captain of Clueless
squirt wrote: 

[Aug 2, 2006 12:52:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PsychoDan

(I doubt as many people split their time equally between Bang! and Y!PP anymore.)

I think you're right, considering that the average population on B!H is hovering around 5 nowadays. :P

Didnt OOO hire a new OM lately? Unless that person is training, nothing has been heard from them. But i dont think hiring 1 extra OM is enough to cover the workload of the increase in pirates.

Two, actually. Glaucus and Oceanus. I've seen both of them on Ice, and they've been around on the other oceans as well.
Sephoris, Senior Officer of the Radical Dreamers
[Aug 2, 2006 1:43:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
brazzy

I like my math better :-P

Except your math (or rahter, the numbers you made up and based it on) is proven to be false. The Ringers have stated explicitly that they are making more money from doubloon oceans.
--
http://www.brazzy.de
[Edit 1 times, last edit by brazzy at Aug 2, 2006 4:31:10 AM]
[Aug 2, 2006 4:30:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.brazzy.de/ [Link]  Go to top 
chemicalgirl

Squido wrote: 
I like my math better :-P

Except your math (or rahter, the numbers you made up and based it on) is proven to be false. The Ringers have stated explicitly that they are making more money from doubloon oceans.

She didn't say it was accurate, she simply said she likes it better.
Silk

Stuyvesant flag officer chats, "You remember that whole "Midnight is better than Everything" phase?"
Silk flag officer chats, "phase...?"
Current Avatar by Falmari
[Aug 2, 2006 7:23:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Silk_Princess1978    Sylkprincess [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

One thing to keep in mind: Midnight has "old age disease", and some viridian islands (ahem) are starting (cough cough) to show signs of it (ugh -- vomit) as well.

Yes, cobalt has fewer players than viridian, consistently. Same hardware, same ocean, same rules, just sub/dub difference.

The "developed island" problem will eventually hit all oceans. Eventually there will be nothing left to take on a sub ocean.

Even if there are fewer subscribers, unless there is a reason for a new player to choose a sub ocean, there will eventually be fewer and then none.

Rather than look at the current numbers, here's a question to ponder: What could be done differently to encourage more people to take a sub route? What could be done to encourage new players to sub instead?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 3, 2006 5:41:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

One note on this; doubloon oceans are *more popular* than subscription oceans. They also generate more revenue, but as earlier posters correctly pointed out, they have a lot more people playing, so they should.

One of the reasons I like doubloons is because they present a much friendly case to the player; instead of saying 'You must climb this giant $9.95 per month cliff to enjoy the exalted land of boot-wearing' a doubloon ocean offers a much more gentle ascent into the realm of bootiness and other finery. Interestingly the wrinkles in this, notably the time-money exchange, are not necessarily most conducive to generating profit for ooo -- we have these features because we think they are most friendly to the player, and make it more likely that more people will want to play the game (and tell their friends).

Mostly people are right; if subscription oceans filled up, we'd add more. That said, we are making the choice to direct the majority of new players (primarily those from miniclip) to doubloon oceans. Past posts on this forum have led me to think that subscribers (or at least those posting here) would generally prefer us *not* to change that policy and start directing those folks to blue oceans.

If you really want a new blue ocean, tell all your friends (using our fancy new tell a friend feature) and fill up the existing oceans with like-minded folks! Har! Problem solved. heh.

What we are not going to do is throw up oceans because some players think it'll be fun to start fresh. This is a very bad idea -- how long before we have indigo-esque situations with ~200 peak players on an ocean? I don't think that's in anyone's interest. I'd much rather address the problems with the 'end-game' and add challenges than encourage people to start fresh for the sake of it.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Cleaver at Aug 3, 2006 7:25:00 PM]
[Aug 3, 2006 7:16:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

The Boss wrote: 
If you really want a new blue ocean, tell all your friends (using our fancy new tell a friend feature) and fill up the existing oceans with like-minded folks! Har! Problem solved. heh.

Spoken like a true businessman.

I salute you, sir.
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PogoBeta at Aug 3, 2006 7:36:17 PM]
[Aug 3, 2006 7:35:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates