• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 1041
Posts: 1041   Pages: 35   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 116008 times and has 1040 replies Next Thread
arggggmatey

Re: Ice Release, Jul 28 (Pets!) Reply to this Post

Wow I just spent like 20 minutes laughing at all these So called adults complaining about a aspect of the game that isnt even officially put into the main oceans yet

I just have a few thing to sday to yall

1. ITS A GAME!!!
2. There is this awesome button in your house that allows you to trash things you don't like so Don't allow it if you dont want it
3. Everyone keeps saying that they want more puzzles yet last puzzle they released most of these same people threw a fit about (barbarians)
4. There is a cool thing on ships called plank if you dont want the pirate to have there pet on your ship say put it away or get off (wow)
5. Who ever said this is hurting the people who have earned familiars let me tell you something to earn a familiar you have to be the best of the best and some people don't think thats always fair so finally the Dev's did something I like and made something for us average joes (/e appluads the developers)
6. Stop using this is a adult game if something like little pets makes you so mad you want to quit or are gonna quit

/me gets off his box
please please please stop complaining act like adults
----------------------------------------
Captainhuk
Cobalt ocean
Senior officer of Heian era
Member of flag Indestructible fury
[Jul 29, 2006 12:00:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    chess_pimp2004    chess pimp2004 [Link]  Go to top 
Nek0jin

Re: ... Reply to this Post

*wince*

The sudden thought of the, "somethin 4 nothin," crowd trying to sell their rats along with their crates, bedrolls, bandanas, and newbie freebie clothes is a rather painful realization.
[Jul 29, 2006 12:02:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Re: yes but they were all bad Reply to this Post

As to your second point, the Parental section states it, if a bit vaguely:

As with all online games, Puzzle Pirates requires that players be at least fourteen years of age.

In three separate readings, I completely missed that sentence all three times. The lack of numerals, and lack of a clear term like "age restriction" or "age requirement" makes it easy for parents to overlook this fact. I can't help but believe this was purposely phrased to be overlooked. OOO has been turning a blind eye to age-based ToS violators for a long time.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jul 29, 2006 12:04:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

In three separate readings, I completely missed that sentence all three times. The lack of numerals, and lack of a clear term like "age restriction" or "age requirement" makes it easy for parents to overlook this fact. I can't help but believe this was purposely phrased to be overlooked. OOO has been turning a blind eye to age-based ToS violators for a long time.

Um...okay. If you say so. I brought the Parental Info thing up in the first thing and even I think you're reading way too much into it.

As I recall it, someone admitting they were under 14 was grounds for immediate banning if it was complained.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Jul 29, 2006 12:05:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
query

I'm not exactly happy with this, for the reasons Rodin has stated (the fact that there will be more dubscribbing kids to deal with). At the same time, I love the idea that I can have tigers. I want an octo, and I always will, but the need to get one isn't so great now that I know I can purchase a few tigers, and be happy with my pets.

For those who are upset to the point of quitting, I can understand that. I was really hoping there'd be more puzzles, even though the only one I can claim to have mastered in any way is carp (I've been trying to carp on Ice to help with that, really! It's just hard to find pillagers...). Several of those are friends of mine, and I will miss them if they go. I am hoping that they'll simply take a break and return when something more interesting for you.

This really is a swing toward Neopets, and that's the point that saddens me. I think I'll be ok with it, however, so long as the game doesn't become a giant billboard filled with ads for McD's, movies, and other junk. I fear the idea of having to run a mission for Cap'n Crunch cereal!
If I weren't such a refined lady, I'd beat the crap out of you. ~ Doris Wodsworth/Washington/Waverley/Wilgus

[Jul 29, 2006 12:07:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.riddlersrealm.com [Link]  Go to top 
Sigaligasig

Doop doop e dooba doop doop Reply to this Post

Can the elephants have mouse familiars?

Meh. The pets strike me as cute, mostly harmless, and probably a good first project to help the new guys get settled in.
"Those things are immune to causality!" -- Kimiko, Dresden Codak
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sigaligasig at Jul 29, 2006 12:09:56 AM]
[Jul 29, 2006 12:08:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sigaligasig [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

As I recall it, someone admitting they were under 14 was grounds for immediate banning if it was complained.

Not in my experience.

If you have ever paid, OOO won't ban you, even though you still clearly violate the ToS.

I have complained many. I still see lots of these on the ocean, even ones who I doubt have ever paid.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jul 29, 2006 12:09:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Aye, that is the corollary - paying supposedly indicates parental permission.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Jul 29, 2006 12:12:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
foudetimbres

Wow I just spent like 20 minutes laughing at all these So called adults complaining about a aspect of the game that isnt even officially put into the main oceans yet

One of the points in having a testing ocean is so that people can react to new releases before they appear on the production oceans.
There is absolutely no point complaining after they are released as they will not be withdrawn (not that there appears to be much point complaining before wither).

I must admit that this latest development worries me due to the fact that it would appear to be targeted at a much younger age group than currently is allowed to play. One of the things I loved about YPP when I discovered it was that it iwas possible to have an intelligent conversation with other people in-game, even with those who were just 14, or even 12 most of the time. This new release looks to me like it is targetted at seven year olds, and that really disappoints me.
Dirtyfoot
Senior Officer of the British Eagles

Eurydice wrote: 
Hee! I like that Glaucus was forced to take the name "Glaucus" because that was the sound you made in your throat before spitting the winning gum.

[Jul 29, 2006 12:16:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Aye, that is the corollary - paying supposedly indicates parental permission.

But that is not in the ToS.

I signed a ToS (and just reread them to make sure) that says:

"Age Requirement. You must be at least fourteen (14) years of age to use Yohoho! You represent, warrant and covenant that you meet this age requirement."

That is all it says on the subject of age. Nothing about implied consent. Nothing even about explicit consent. If they are going to allow parental consent, they need to post that prominently on the main page as the ToS promises. Oh, wait... they just did.

This age thing has been debated ad nauseum. I think there is a consensus among adults that we don't want kids, but obviously OOO does.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jul 29, 2006 12:19:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

Either way OOO has a choice to make between targetting younger kids or sticking with the age group they have now. Some will leave some will stay and some will join the game. However, I hope OOO knows that if they do target younger kids (oh I hope not) a lot of people will leave the game, OMs will be dealing with more stupid petitions (have fun guys!), and kids get bored after a while. How many kids (ages 7-12) are going to continue to play a game for years? Or better yet their parents pay for a game?

Jimmy your grades are falling so no online games for you this month.
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Jul 29, 2006 12:24:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
chemicalgirl

Screw you all, I'm not reading everything in this post. I hereby name my large tiger Richard Parker. My Elephant is Sadie, or Ella, I'd prefer to have two, and my kitten shall be Gabrielle and the pooch is Ruga. I declare these pet names to be MINE.
Silk

Stuyvesant flag officer chats, "You remember that whole "Midnight is better than Everything" phase?"
Silk flag officer chats, "phase...?"
Current Avatar by Falmari
[Jul 29, 2006 12:28:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Silk_Princess1978    Sylkprincess [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Arrrggg...the greenie playground has expanded to the ocean at large. We are forever doomed to unwarranted trade requests on the docks, brigs full of lazing jobbers wanting to be paid or gun or nav, and elephants stepping on my toe.

I, while still controlling the majority of my frustration with the ideas behind this recent release, am not pleased. Which is to be expected. It is blatantly obvious that OOO is intending to shift the demographic associated with this game down to the 12-16 year olds. And that of course is their right and prerogative as the owners, operators, and programmers of this game.

As it is my right to cease paying and uninstall it forever if I choose, and yours as well. I highly doubt complaining will do anything to prevent this release from happening. It didn't stop housing, furniture, barbarians, poker or any of the other releases that while well received after time were originally hotly contested from happening.

This thread in its entirety is, to be blunt, totally pointless except to release frustration and make a minute noise blip on the sonogram of life (TM).

I'm going to give it some time. If I decide that the path of the game further aims for an age group I am not a part of and I no longer enjoy my time here, me and my money will just go elsewhere; and OOO will never miss me. Or you, or you, or you or any one of us.

I work at a large chain department store and every time a customer threatens to never come back and tell all their friends to do the same I've always got at the back of my mind, "Yeah, you and your friends really make up enough of our multi-billion dollar income source that your lack of business will cripple our entire industry and show us what four." It's the same here. Our money will not be missed and so we can choose to stay or go or gripe or not and none of it will be heard, or cared about by anyone. Really, its just time to let things happen and if you don't like it, move on. If you do like it, enjoy the game as you should. Either way, its still your choice.

Meh, such is the course of a game business. Choose your demographic and run with it. Screw the rest.

~Maestro Muffy
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Jul 29, 2006 12:41:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

*wince*

The sudden thought of the, "somethin 4 nothin," crowd trying to sell their rats along with their crates, bedrolls, bandanas, and newbie freebie clothes is a rather painful realization.

Except rats aren't tradable, and I don't think they ever will be.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 29, 2006 1:28:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

I can't get to Ice so I can't me rat =(
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alec1000 at Jul 29, 2006 1:37:27 AM]
[Jul 29, 2006 1:36:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nek0jin

Except rats aren't tradable, and I don't think they ever will be.

They aren't? Good news indeed, then. =^_^=
[Jul 29, 2006 1:41:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jyn

Since this is the GD thread, I want to put in my observations, but I'm a little lairy of getting involved in a seven page tartnami...

1. In general, pets good. I like the fact that they exist. I want a dog, and will pillage up the money to pay for one, no matter how much money that is.
2. I don't believe that they are currently limited to the correct regions. I am surprised that they are not, effectively, a piece of furniture limited to the scene in which they are placed. My preference would be to limit the appearence of pets that follow you to any scene in which you have "Arrange Furniture" rights - i.e. shops/stalls/houses/ships you own, and unlocked crew ships if you're a fleet officer. Houses and ships should have an "allow pets" toggle which is off by default, perhaps.
3. I would hope that pets cost roughly the same as housing. Elephants should cost the same as an Estate, say. I've got no objection to millionaire pirates blowing a fortune on importing elephants and tigers from distant lands. This is precisely the sort of thing that rich idiots used to do in the 1600s, before they invented the Ferarri.

I do welcome the addition of pets. Anyone who thinks that they're somehow too cute and not in keeping with the game as it is at the moment, evidently has a different sprite set to me. I'm seeing noseless pirates and islands with pigs and sheep running around them. Is everyone else seeing DOOM III?

These pets do not devalue familiars. Watch, I'll show you:

Pirate: Can I have an elephant?
Game: Certainly, that will be 640,000 poe, and 640 doubloons.
Pirate: Can I have a parrot?
Game: No.

I think it would be pretty nice if familiars and sleeping animals could be let loose in a scene too, though I'm aware that there's probably not the existing art for that. At the end of the day, I think people will realise that pets=thing you can buy, and sleeping animal/familiar=prize that you can only win. A status symbol is a function of how easy it is to obtain, not how useful/functional/kewl it is. This is why the Koh-I-Nor diamond is one of the most spectacularly expensive things in the world. When the iPod came out, I doubt that the Queen decided that the diamond was worthless because it just sits there, while the iPod plays tunes and stuff.
Jyn
First Mate of British Sea Power, Midnight Ocean
[Jul 29, 2006 1:46:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

If the artwork has been around the whole time, then the question must be asked, since havin' animals follow ye about is somethin' that was already in the game: where are all the proper releases?

Also:
"Yer pet's name may not be vulgar."
Why can't I call me cat "Pussy Galore"? At least I have a Pleasure Sheep.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Jul 29, 2006 1:55:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cloakdeath

EDIT: Oh dear God...they really want to finish me off with this one.

Cloak'

~Chief Art Director of Blended Sky~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cloakdeath at Jul 29, 2006 2:04:01 AM]
[Jul 29, 2006 1:59:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newgrounds.com    Cloakdeath [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

I went to the palace and only to find a fex rats with an X over their head! Why do they have Xs over their names?
[Jul 29, 2006 2:20:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cloakdeath

I went to the palace and only to find a fex rats with an X over their head! Why do they have Xs over their names?

They've been defeated?
Cloak'

~Chief Art Director of Blended Sky~
[Jul 29, 2006 2:25:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newgrounds.com    Cloakdeath [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

Worst update ever.

If we already have familiars why are pets needed?

More Puzzles.

EDIT: And when did Pirates have pet Elephants?
A Confirmed Basterd, Antix
Of Guerrilla Warfare 2018 fame

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lotus_elise3 at Jul 29, 2006 2:33:18 AM]
[Jul 29, 2006 2:29:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
aargang91

EDIT: And when did Pirates have pet Elephants?

When did Elephants be smaller than pirates?
- Danish

Twiggy wrote:

Anyhoo, we got engaged by a Master of Riddles cutter. That entire pvp was like watching two retards fight with projectile vomit on an ice skating rink. Stick to brigands, both of you

[Jul 29, 2006 2:43:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

I won't HWFO, ya'll know I don't do that. I won't threaten to quit. They'll ignore that, until you actually do. That kinda comment just makes everybody ignore you. However, for the first time in a long time, I have to agree with Polly and Starhawk.

I'll be cautiously optimistic, and hope my fears are proven silly. For now, I know my kids were awake at quarter to 4 am because they couldn't wait to see the pets (I may have woken my daughter up, because I knew she'd *simply die*).

They are adorable. They are cute. I'll likely end up owning one. I have nothing against them (except that much like recent furniture updates, they do not seem to fit with other game graphics, they look out of place, like yanked from another game). I'm just afraid it increases the apparent targetting of the game towards a younger audience. Judging by the reaction of my family, it's appealing to that audience, even if it wasn't intended to.

I don't think it overshadows or ruins the value of anything. I don't think it took a great deal of time away from other things I want to see. I will adapt as I adapt to every new change, even if I don't like it. I enjoy being flexible. I just cross my fingers tightly against new kids playing. This was supposed to be my break from kids.

Well, I'll shut up now, and wait, and see. Hopefully we won't see any influx in children. *crosses fingers*

Polly wrote: 
THIS is what worries me about his release. It's not about the walking pets overshadowing my poor turtle or the fact that buying a pet from the palace will get you more attention than owning a black and white parrot. It's the fact that this release is CLEARLY for the kids, who none of us old-timers ever wanted to play around in the first place.

Starhawk wrote: 
I don't mind the small, common, piratey pets. The exotic animals are a bit too... exotic, for my taste.

I don't believe that putting pets in will delay the addition of other features. I do worry about what it implies about the player demographic(s) the Ringers are currently pursuing. Customer goodwill and consistent brand identity are also factors in business.

That's all I have to say.

Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Jul 29, 2006 2:44:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Cocchinelle

I agree with Jyn's post. As long as the pets are relatively expensive, I doubt that they'll be that common an occurrence. I would definitely go out pillaging to save up the poe to buy one, or two, or three, maybe more.

And guess what? I'm not a child.

I also agree that they should be limited to furniture scenes, and only by the person who owns the deed/is a manager/roommate.

As for devaluing familiars, I don't think so. A cat chasing me around isn't going to replace the monkey that sits on my shoulder and crosses her arms when I cross mine, which still makes me go "squee!"

For those with sleeping turtles and pigs, they'll be expensive room decorations, just like I'm hoping the equivalent pets will be, so your furniture won't be devalued. However, if you're on Sage and you feel that your sleeping turtle has been devalued by pets, I'll be more than happy to buy it from you for 25k.

The biggest disappointment for me was to see some "prominent" players act like spoilt little brats. Since the game isn't going their way, they're picking up their toys and going home. How is that any different from the demographic that they fear is going to overtake the ocean?

I moved from Midnight to Sage, and I don't regret it. There are a lot more "underage" players on that ocean, but it doesn't affect my gameplay any. Even if this attracts more, it still won't affect my gameplay, except for the fact that now OOO can hire some more program monkeys to add more new content.

Honestly though, if mere pets are going to drive you away from game, I'll group you with those immature brats who solicit you for sex on the docks and tell you to not let the door hit you on the way out.
~ Mirelle ~
The Ladybug
Marquis des Forbans / Un Aristocrate
[Jul 29, 2006 2:46:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

Another question.

Will it ever be possible to have them in portraits with you?

I wouldnt mind that.
A Confirmed Basterd, Antix
Of Guerrilla Warfare 2018 fame

[Jul 29, 2006 2:49:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Jyn makes some great points in great ways.

For me, I was excited about the prospect of cats when it was mentioned as a possibility years ago. My excitement at finding them finally implemented is about equal to how I felt when Rumble was introduced, which is to say: woweeeeee!
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Jul 29, 2006 3:27:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
Jyn

Woo. Fez, Bracers, Loose pants, riding an elephant!

I think these recent releases have one thing in common, that you can use them to look ridiculous and non-piratey if you want to. A grey wig, a captain's jacket and gaitered boots makes you look like a gentleman of the 17th century (or at least a funny caricature of one.) A pink wig, a yellow/orange kilt and some bracers makes you look like an idiot, to a greater degree possible in any previous release. Nemo's maxim has been proven true, if you put something stupid and ugly in your game, everyone will want one. These pets have a potential for that. Already, the Ringers have realised that the last thing you want to allow is some fool to fill an inn with cats. I would go further and prevent people bringing their pets with them anywhere they don't own, because you just know that every ship you'll be on will be filled with jobbers' rats.

Within limits, these pets are fine.
Jyn
First Mate of British Sea Power, Midnight Ocean
[Jul 29, 2006 3:36:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

I was just chatting with somebody, trying to discover what it is about the artwork that doesn't seem to fit in with the current artwork for me, and we believe we've figured it out.

The animals are too realistic. The sheep, and the pigs when available, are not very realistic at all. Big round blobs, just like our pirates. (That, and we've had years to acclimatize to them, too). But the other animals, are much more detailed, and more realistic, and thus, they don't match.

The analogy I made is, it's as if our pirates are the *old* Fisher Price Little people, wooden dowel with a head on it, and this new artwork is like the new Fisher Price Little People, with arms and legs and everything. It's like taking artwork from Spiderman and popping it down suddenly in The Simpsons. Artwork from Futurama wouldn't be so out of place on The Simpsons, but from Spiderman? It doesn't blend, it's incongruous.
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Jul 29, 2006 4:07:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Kharnor

Looks like this is as close as we get for the moment, mates. :(
Kharnor, perpetual junior officer of the Lost Lot
[Jul 29, 2006 4:31:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 1041   Pages: 35   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates