• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1337 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Livelychap

Blockade nav isn't Battle nav??? Reply to this Post

Now wait a second I'm confused. Blockades are about as intense Bnav as one can get!! Then why isn't it considered battle navigation? I'm able yet I have about a 1:13 sink ratio in blockades. How does this figure? I propose a new system of scoring bnav based on the damage dealt and the damage received. this would be a fair system in my eyes.

Post thoughts you may have here.
----------------------------------------
Livelychap the Paradoxical of Sage
[Jul 27, 2006 2:06:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Packerbckrjack04 [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

Re: Blockade nav isn't Battle nav??? Reply to this Post

Err, what? What are you suggesting, exactly? That blockades affect bnav standing? I dunno, that actually doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. It does require a pretty different style of battle navigation though, since its continual fighting against multiple opponents.

The other issue, is the purpose of a blockade isn't to sink other ships. I'm curious what you were driving to get that ratio, war brigs? war frigs? How many points have you totaled in blockades from flag sitting? Thats the real purpose of the entire fight anyway, to win the island. Theres way too many flags out there who don't seem to understand that basic concept and waste half a round or more chasing one ship all over the board instead of getting points.

Anyway, I'm not sure if retooling the bnav scoring system to cater to blockades over pillaging is the best solution, considering blockades happen with a lot less frequency and theres a lot less opportunity to drive in them in a contending flag.
[Jul 27, 2006 2:21:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
benDOTc

I propose a new system of scoring bnav based on the damage dealt and the damage received. this would be a fair system in my eyes.

Sinks don't win blockades.

That's not a fair metric at all. Some of me favorite blockade navvers are those who probably have little better than a 1:1 sink ratio, but they'll make sure ye pick up the points while the hotshots are out there sinking and getting sunk.

And no, i'm not saying that getting a 2:1 sink:sunk ratio doesn't help in a blockade. I'm just pointing out that there are many things that go into blockade nav, and if we're losing a round by 10 points with a couple minutes left, and the new war frig goes out and chases enemy ships around, ye can bet I'm not putting that navver on a ship at any point that I want to actually take points.

Also, there's the issue of how ye weight WFs to WBs. I suppose by their tax value would be best, but I'm not sure.

Edit: The other issue, of course, is that by weighting sinks, people will get much better scores in landslides than in fair battles. I'd suggest that everyone on the board should get points fer any sinks and any points taken, and it should be scaled by the current odds of yer flag vs. all other flags that are contesting. Everyone navving gets the same points.

At the end of the day, though, it really doesn't matter much to me. I and most navvers I know use alts anyway. There are, of course, exceptions, though.
Benjideblade, Captain and Wench of Still of the Night
Lord of the flag Sea Change
Viridian Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by benDOTc at Jul 27, 2006 2:29:48 PM]
[Jul 27, 2006 2:26:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.stillofthenight.org    bendotc    bendotc    1926124 [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

The BNav standing affects pillages, blockades do not. You don't want something that has nothing to do with pillaging to affect pillaging.
[Jul 27, 2006 2:31:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

No, bnav and block nav are radically different in many respects. The main one is that there are multiple tasks that you as a block navver might be assigned to do, from flagsitting, to blocking off access to a particular region, to chasing down and sinking a stock sloop trying to run the board, to being a hunt and kill ship. Likewise your opponents may be doing many of these things as well. The only one that approximates bnav scoring for what your goal is, is the hunt and kill ship - but even that is distorted unless your opponent also has a hunt and kill mission, and there is also not the time factor that weighs so heavily in normal bnav. The blockade that I consider to be my single best blockade navving ever, was me on a brig managing to neutralize a cluster of about five flags for close to 30 minutes with almost full damage and bilge despite having three opposing frigs on a hunt and kill mission against me. In short, people can do a great job of evaluation block nav skills (ask Zanered how he does it if you're really interested), but a computer statisic couldn't, simply because it wouldn't even know what mission you were assigned.

Edit: Bah, sniped four times, even by an edit.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sweetnessc at Jul 27, 2006 2:37:19 PM]
[Jul 27, 2006 2:35:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

Pie is absolutely right, as are the people who sniped her. Your reputation, if you're ACTUALLY good in a blockade, will spread much better via word of mouth than any boasting your stat page does for you.

Sinks win blockades VERY well if your navvers eliminate the entire enemy fleet by the end of round two.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Jul 27, 2006 4:02:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

I propose that blockade navigation be henceforth referred to as KNav

...good evening, you're listening to KNAV Midnight Metro area, and it's time for some smooth tunes to pillage by.
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Jul 27, 2006 4:05:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Looseweed

the purpose of a blockade isn't to sink other ships, unless they're carrying the additional supplies necessary to fuel their fleet for rounds 3 and beyond, because they forgot to bring them beforehand.

fixy
[Jul 27, 2006 4:07:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

to chasing down and sinking a stock sloop trying to run the board

pish I already mentioned that, old man....
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jul 27, 2006 5:35:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StillMyst

Ah the sweet memories of synched sinking...
Mogget / Midnight
Take my PoE, take my land
Take my brigs and frigates grand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sea from me...

[Jul 28, 2006 12:22:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

Rasta Man wrote: 
the purpose of a blockade isn't to sink other ships, unless they're carrying the entire stock for the blockade, and they set this boat onto the board first.

Fixed again.

Ahhh Bo. How misguided that pressing of the "Deport" button was!
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by StuManchu at Jul 28, 2006 1:03:29 AM]
[Jul 28, 2006 1:02:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhilFine

Hmmmm?

Er, no.

No way to rate blockade nav that works. The system in place works, word of mouth and over all fame. Actually skill is pretty subjective for the most part. But then, that's part of the fun.
Kbhunter on Midnight
Famousbrat on Meridian
[Jul 28, 2006 2:52:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Firstly, I really, truly doubt you'd have a one to thirteen sink ratio. Secondly, the mentality that blockade nav is the same as regular is why so many good navers aren't necessarily good blockade navers and why some blockade navers suck at other types.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Jul 28, 2006 4:35:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates