• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5399 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Biffhoodwink

Game lockup Reply to this Post

Having problems with the game and computer locking up at sea only paying a puzzle. takes 1 to 2 minutes before it does. Have no problems on land. Any sugestions.
[Jul 2, 2003 4:37:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

Re: Game lockup Reply to this Post

The lockup problem happens either to me, or to one or more of the crew on a fairly regular basis. Me machine be optimal, defragged and the lot, but it still seems ta happen. Cannot report it as a bug, for the client is locked, and ye all wanted us to not post em here... but just thought I would let 'em know that they be not the only ones, harrr.
----------------------------------------
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Jul 2, 2003 6:56:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Try: Reply to this Post

Try: installing the latest Java 1.4.2 from java.sun.com

Try: switching sound off by lowering the sound fx and music sliders to zero.
[Jul 2, 2003 8:03:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Mercedes

And since someone brought it up, I haven't had a single lock-up since this last release! Me piratey prayers have been ANSWERED, and fer that I thank ye!
[Jul 2, 2003 12:21:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.brandeeross.com [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I do be havin the latest Java, but how do I get to the configuration? Tried every buttin I could find, and no a one of them be settings or anythin like it... yarr... Be I missin it somewhere?
[Jul 2, 2003 8:52:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

errrr.. sorry that were me... forgot ta log in, I did! ARRR!
~Faile

[Jul 2, 2003 8:54:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

options Reply to this Post

In the Ye panel, click on options & then there's a sound tab appears; when you select that there are little sliders for sound & music.
[Jul 2, 2003 8:59:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

Thankee Matey!! I did that just after speakin with ye... and so far, so good. Ye be a gem...
~Faile

[Jul 3, 2003 1:34:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
Creslin

Ahoy mates, I seem to have the same problem. I've tried turning sound off and I've downloaded the latest java from sun, but still experience game freezes regularly about every 30 minutes or so. Usually it happens while at sea doing a puzzle, arriving at a checkpoint, or at the start of battle.
______
Thanas
Zion
[Jul 11, 2003 10:55:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boro

I see the same like Creslin. It began after some update a long long time ago. Couple weeks ago I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled my Windows 2000 and also updated to Sun Java JRE 1.4.2, but the problem stays.

It's always the same -- view freezes. I can click things on the screen or even type text and chat with me mates, but I can't get any feedback on the screen. Restarting the client always helps.

Creslin, what kind of computer do you have? Can ye put up some specs so we could compare? I'm interested -- Java has had some problem in past for example with ATI graphic adapters, maybe this is something related or similar?

[size=9]--
Boromir / Gaspard / Meralda
[Jul 20, 2003 6:47:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Creslin

Same exact problem Boro. Here's some specs.

Pentium 4 2.0ghz
512 mb DDR ram
128 mb Geforce4 TI4600
Windows XP Home Edition

Let me know if you need anything specific to compare.
______
Thanas
Zion
[Jul 21, 2003 2:30:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boro

Hmm. We don't have much common in our computer specs.

Mine is

Pentium 4 2.4GHz
Abit SR7-8X Motherboard (SIS 648 chipset)
512MB DDR RAM
64MB Ati Radeon 9000 Pro
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Digital
Windows 2000

I also have ACPI and APIC enabled, but dunno if that would matter. It would be interesting to see specs also from other people. Freezing is something not related to the game IMHO -- I kept my Java Console open while playing and when the freeze occured, no errors were printed...

[size=9]--
[Jul 21, 2003 3:23:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Creslin

Have you noticed your computer clock at the bottom right hand start to run fast when playing the game? I've noticed that mine does, and when it resets to the correct time is when the screen freezes like that. Strange, but it seems to be linked.
______
Thanas
Zion
[Jul 21, 2003 7:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boro

Creslin, I haven't earlier been looking me clock while playing. I tried it today and you were right -- my clock was 5 mins ahead at best! After it resets back to correct time, it really makes the view in the game freeze!

I compared the clock by adjusting me wrist watch to almost the same time and watched the clocks while playing. It was weird to see ye computer's clock go ahead.

I wonder how this could be fixed...

Edit: Java Console freezes too. It still records stuff to me file log, but view is frozen just like Y!PP client. It seems alike that thread (or similar) that is supposed to take care of drawing the GUI dies but all the other stuff continues.

[size=9]--
[Jul 21, 2003 11:24:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wedgie

If you ever freeze in battle, you can still get back into the ship (but not in a sword fight). Don't close your frozen client, but still open up a new fresh client. You'll automatically jump right back into the sea battle, able to hop on a station, almost without missing a beat.
[Jul 22, 2003 12:21:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

That is really amazing, I've never seen that solution before.

At what point can you close the frozen client?
[Jul 22, 2003 1:09:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
boro

Wedgie: Aye, that works. It's not good if ya in fight ('cos you can't just wait and let the pieces go down just like that), but if you're engaging and puzzle freezes, it really helps. Thank yee. Oh, and it would be interesting to get some specs for your puter too if you're having the same freeze and clockskew -problem :-)

Homullus: Client will auto logout after couple minutes or similar -- after that it brings ya back to login screen so you can log in back and get back to where you were.

[size=9]--
[Jul 22, 2003 1:58:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

homullus wrote: 
That is really amazing, I've never seen that solution before.

At what point can you close the frozen client?

Once it has logged ye in (and ye see where ye are) on the new client, ye can close the old one. This is also useful if ye've been runnin' the one client a long time - I notice I get the blue screen o' death, hangups, etc. more often on a client that has been up for hours, so I just start a new one in the background and switch over cleanly.
[Jul 22, 2003 2:09:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I guess I'm sorta ignorant of the hangup thing because I don't, um, get them.

Good to know, in case I do, though.
[Jul 22, 2003 2:59:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Creslin

I do have a work around for the freezes Boro. Before starting the game client, right click on your clock at the bottom of your screen. Then select adjust time/date. Once the window pops up, click on Internet Time. Then click on the Update Now button right next to where it states the server. Wait for it to complete the update, then start the game client. You'll notice that your clock still runs fast but it doesn't automatically reset during play, therefore you will not experience any screen freezes. I realize that the problem still exists but at least this way you will be able to play the game without the constant freezes when the clock resets.
______
Thanas
Zion
[Jul 22, 2003 3:57:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Creslin thanks for the tip, too bad I have Windows 2000. I'm going to try to debug Java a bit tomorrow with debugging options etc if I could some data, maybe for a bug report to Sun.
[Jul 23, 2003 7:56:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates