• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12762 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
uzi

Expasion Cracks! Reply to this Post

Ahoy my piratey friends.
I come before you today with a heavy heart and a troubled sole, I feel like I am floundering in a sea of turmoil.
Well maybe it is not that bad, but it sounded good (perhaps I should start using footnotes, too?)
Ok, I will stop fishing around here and get to the reel issue.
The game, as we all know, used to be so peaceful. The new players were introduced at a pace where we could feel welcome, and that we were not imposing on the "seasoned" players by asking so many questions.
However with the release of Beta came this influx of so many new players at one time it tends to be overwhelming at times, especially after the 5th straight hour on the game and having to answer the same question numerous times.

The number one newbie question: "Are you going out Pillaging?"

This before Hi, how are you. Either that or just getting onto the docks and having repeated offeres to a duel.

I did get to chat with some of the "veteran" players yesterday, and I think we are all feeling a wee bit stressed by the ratio of new players to "vets".

We do want to help!! We do want to expand our crews!! We do want the new players to find the same enjoyment of the game that we have. The players who helped me, and still help me (I still feel I have a whole lot to learn, being a computer illiterate nerd for the most part) are one of the games most precious commodities!! They are why I stay here.

I am so afraid that by overwhelming the vets with so many new players at one time, we are going to burn out. Maybe I stay on the game too long, but I feel obligated to help the new players. I was fortunate that I got a mentor who plays 20 hours a day. I got so much help from the Sadako, Aglaura, Shadow combination. I still do get help there for which I am very greatful. However there are not enough of those "3 in 1 game guru-types" to go around to all of the new players.

I know Pennsuedo and I discuss this at lengths, and we decided that the Training Academy is a must! So we formed Puzzle Pirates Academy which will be starting soon. Fronsac has agreed to be the first "head mistress" with an alt. character. Several of us are agreeing to be active teachers. I am just not sure of the specifics yet on times of classes. Har.

That is one small solution to balance out the ratio of new vs vets. I am anxoius for it to start.

I think new players that do not go through the tutorial should be planked! The help files should be mandatory reading.

Ok............I have vented..........honestly I held back. Last night after being on the game for way too long, I think I might have even started being rude..........yeah me..........rude!!! Watch for more of my "venting posts". They will be showing up!
----------------------------------------
Still hanging 10 through life and looking for the endless summmer.
[Jul 20, 2003 11:43:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

Re: Expasion Cracks! Reply to this Post

Ahoy Uzi!! I totally understand what ye be sayin, and agree with ye 100%! I am working diligently trying to get Faile up and running as a Trainer in the Academy crew. I will TRY to be online in the evenings around 8:30 CST, and be ready to take out the new pirates by 9:00 (still Central Time, USA).

Here are the problems I am running into with the Academy.

1. Faile being a new character, she has NO MONEY for supplying the ship to take out. (Cleaver's incentive program will help, IF I happen to catch him on and IF I can get enough new people signed up quickly for a run. Jobbing me Lubber mateys will be good if'n I can catch the new ones online and entice em ta leave a Lubber ship. If that fails, then I be outta luck with the newbie incentive program.)

2. The crew is so small that I have had difficulty catchin' the new members online, and they are going to get frustrated very quickly if they can't get out on the seas with a crew. This will be the case until we get more active Officers in the Academy.

3. We have a boat on Turtle, but not a single map aboard. No mon, no rum, no map, no fun!

The biggest of these is number 2. If any of me Flag mates have an available alt that can join the Academy, please post on the Rudder Revolution Forum so we can get this thing goin'
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Jul 21, 2003 12:40:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

I'll drop a wad o' poe on ye. Also, ye can take turns with the Lubbers at holdin' the deed to our new War Brig. It is gonna work. I am allowin' folks to use the old ranking system til the end of the month if they chose to so as to allow us to get the academy up to speed before it is the only advancement option.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jul 21, 2003 1:32:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Academy Reply to this Post

The Management (after a weekend of solid pillaging avec les newbies) is more than happy to extend every support possible to Puzzle Pirates Academy and other crews helping New Pirates during these Turbulent Times.

Indeed, we have a couple of features in the next release that will help ease the burden of training the young' uns considerably. A shame that these couldn't make this weekend's fiesta, but they'll be out soon enough.
[Jul 21, 2003 3:00:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
jfjnpxmy

Am I just a big dumb silly poo poo head, or does this recent wave of new players contain a higher percentage of imbeciles than one might normally expect? It seems to me that the Alpha docks, once a stronghold for all those who value civilised (although somewhat ribald) discussion, has now degenerated into a bunch of shoeless newbies in rags running around begging, shouting things over and over again and challenging people to swordfights but cancelling before the fight actually begins.
[Jul 21, 2003 3:19:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jfjnpxmy [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Happy days fer the Salty Mouthfuls!!!
Pennsuedo

[Jul 21, 2003 3:23:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

One thing I can say in its favor . . . the world feels populated now.

I think the days where one could log in and be the only one in ocean are now officially gone.

Once /who (big list, not individual pirate) goes away (and it probably should before launch, with expansion at this rate), we should have flag broadcasting for royalty, a "friends list" that functions as a crew does, in terms of notification of logging on. There should probably also be a toggle so that your login is NOT transmitted to people who have you on their friends list . . .

Or if that's all too much, perhaps a toggle for whether you want to be able to receive /tells . . that way, people can still come to you in person if need be, but it cuts out background chatter a bit.
[Jul 21, 2003 3:27:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

I especially like the ones that just walk up to you and request a trade.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jul 21, 2003 3:28:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Clueless behaviour Reply to this Post

As with any flood, some objectionable material is bound to wash up. We are beavering away on 'the blackspot' system that will let you let someone know if they're being annoying in no uncertain terms.

If there were a test for sensible pirates I would put it on the registration questionairre, but alas I do not know of such test. So for now we'll have to filter them by muting or complaining the worst ones and work our way through the crowds.

Give em a week and the poor ones will scuttle off and the good ones will be Captains under yer Flags (and no doubt a fresh batch of bandana-sporting folk will replace em at the docks). One thing that might help yer sense of sanity is to find other spots, not the docks, to convene. Like the comfortable palace.

We also going to start starting newbies on various other islands in the Emerald Archipelago, which will help a bit to ease the pressure.

Oh, one note about the influx; yesterday our throttle wasn't working as planned - we are supposed to limiting new players at a rate of 25/hour (i.e. only validating them at that rate, and backlogging the rest). It was letting them in at 25/10 mins. Oops.
[Jul 21, 2003 4:39:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Har har! Jest go ahead and let 'em in 1000 at a time. I will need a few grand frigates first, mind ye. Ye can start them all off on Guava and we shall pick 'em up thar.

BTW, I have a policy of warnin' them first when the language goes foul or I hear too much about "rape and pillage", then I quickly resort to me /plank to make me point if the first method do no' work. If they apologize properly, I let 'em back on fer one last try. It seems to work out -- so long as me officers enforce it once I step off the ship.
Pennsuedo

[Jul 21, 2003 4:56:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
CrashCat

I be lucky I started on Friday and got me feet wet before the tide came in! 'Ere were more swabbies idlin' on the docks of Alpha than barnacles on all the Navy's fleet, I think! T'was a blessin' I realized I kin zoom out to the island view an' pop from shop to shop without musclin' through the teeming horde, yargh.

Now I jus' gotta figger out what I be savin' my pieces for, since clothes won't get me booty an' a shiny sword don't impress the 'botic brigands one bit. I'd get me a ship but me crew is around more often and has plenty o' boats already, har.
a pirate is drinking lots and lots of rum
a pirate is just an oversized kid with an eye patch
a pirate is like being a fireman and a pyromaniac
a pirate is fun
a pirate is surely for me
-Googlism
[Jul 21, 2003 7:47:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

ARR! Crashcat, ye must be male if ye can't figure out anything to shop fer! ;-)
[Jul 21, 2003 9:46:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Livesey

/me grumbles about iron
-Hethor
[Jul 21, 2003 11:09:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I sold 2 iron to him. I don't know if he could check that. Reply to this Post

Hethor wrote: 
/me grumbles about iron

I just gave ye some! Quit yer whinin'! Har!
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 21, 2003 11:21:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Ooh - well if ye're GIVING it away* Fron

*Of course I know that he's gonna come up with a womanising joke here; gotta feed the Fronsacs something though ;-)
[Jul 21, 2003 11:43:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wedgie

Penndalla wrote: 

We're trying to train our newbs as fast as possible. :P Once they start to get good - bettah watch out now!
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
QuickStop

Wedgie wrote: 
Penndalla wrote: 

We're trying to train our newbs as fast as possible. :P Once they start to get good - bettah watch out now!

Heck yeah!

Man we got like 60 new people from our little website crew and we are gonna be the scourge of the 7 seas soon enough.

Got our own War Brig and everything!
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Livesey wrote: 
/me grumbles about iron

Whenever Crimson Permanent Assurance brings a load into Turtle, they send a little your way... when you're actually buying. So you must be selling it just as quickly.
Buying too expensive and selling too low?

And Penn:
Not only does Float Yer Boat have the cheapest brigs in any archiplago, but for a small surcharge I'm sure we can start a delivery service as well.

Regarding newbies. I go out of my way to help those that asks nicely and seem genuinely willing to learn the game. The rest I ignore.
But in the busy hours I do tend to log in a more anonymous alt if there's no business that requires the use of 'Hanzii'.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jul 21, 2003 8:37:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

I like Homullus' idea of the friends list - saves reading through a long list to see which names are on that you recognise, if you're not searching for a particular person. And if the /who list goes to just your archipelago it will be even trickier to find people you know, if they are not inhabitants.
[Jul 21, 2003 8:57:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

im a noob, so maybe I dont really have a massive right to discuss such matters here, but I'm a pretty quick learner and can think of a few things that might just help with yer problem.

First, the main problem budding pirates will experience if they haven't read these forums for things such as the PPA is difficulty in finding a crew to join to allow them to increase skills such as Sea Battle which are rarely possible to train other ways unless people attack navy ships. Giving people more reason to attack navy ships might help, but would probably then annoy people who are on them mostly to train skills and earn a little cash without fighting yet. So maybe there should be a chance to join small NPC pirate ships, and when on them, the leading NPC of that shop will worry about selecting suitable targets while ordering newbies on board to do jobs - if they don't start doing that job within around a minute of being ordered, and the job urgently needs done (ie. damage quite high and they don't help with carpenting when ordered to) then they get taken off the ship. This would give them a good feeling of what to expect when they first start working for a crew, or make their own crew if they train enough on that ship. The NPCs on these ships would have average ratings for fighting and relatively low ratings for work, meaning players on board would have to help in order to keep the ship going decently.
Some people want to join crews, but I can imagine there are a few inidividuals who have learned enough just from whats around them, but due to timezones or lack of time can't do player ship jobs, and would instead like to start their own crew as soon as they've earned the cash for the ship and trained the skills, and i feel that might help with that.
On the other hand, having too many of these sort of ships could spoil the player community side of the game - but if vets get frustrated and start feeling rather less helpful than before, then the budding pirates will in turn get annoyed and probably leave, which can't be good for the community either. To try and enoucrage use of player pirate ships, NPC pirate ships give give you such a pitiful share of the profits that it's all about training abilities rather than becoming rich.

A second idea is, in addition to the current but slightly lacking notice board in game, is to add an advertising feature. I, personally, hate discussing games outside of the game itself, unless its for complicated issues like this involving a lot of people (and even then, i prefer to discuss stuff in conversation rather than constantly leave seperate messages). So if there was an ingame notice board where people could spend cash - perhaps a 'loot per letter' scheme, as long as people don't try to save cash by typing in txt msg spk - then people could see more detailed items - if a crew wants to hire people, they can leave a message with requirements and contact details (yesterday, most of the day, there was a Dread Ringers job posted up and very little else. I pressed it loads of times just for a laugh, hoping to irritate them with constant 'shockedfrog has applied! shockedfrog has applied! etc.', but a lot of other newbies around the place were wondering why nothing was happening - it was clearly either a joke (in which case, it's pretty pathetic, cause thats gonna irritate newbies even more!), or they were only taking old players, or they were taking jobbers earlier and forgot to remove it - using this system, there would be a list of requirements (even as simple as 'no newbies', or a full list like 'at least Broad in sea battle, carpenting, sailing and bilging') and the message would get deleted either by the poster like the current system, or removed after a set amount of time, perhaps depending on how expensive it was (although if people posted large amounts of junk, a staff member would remove it.) If a player needs a crew, they can leave a message here. Because it would cost money, to earn money they would have to have done reasonable work beforehand on navy ships or the above NPC pirate ships, and crews who want cheap but decent help would probably look for someone who has gone to the bother of getting cash and training skills first - posting a message on the boards using money would be proof that they had done work before and weren't just fresh off the newbie ship, and were also confident enough of their abilities that they could help without asking every 5 minutes 'am I doing this right?'
In particular, I think it would be useful for general adverts (such as 'join our crew' (except slightly more detailed) without any specific job to do, or trading adverts - spend a little advertising, and in return, maybe find a buyer for all that junk you're carrying :)

A third idea is to add a training house on the starting island (i hear different players start on either alpha or guava - in which case, a training house on both) with expanded tutorials in it. For completing these, the player could earn a hat - you know those hats, uh. 'mortar board' things that graduates wear, maybe players who complete the advanced tutorials should get one of those as proof of completion and some crews would recruit new players as long as they got it. the hat would not be wearable by people who havent done the advanced tutorials. The problem I see with this is alternate characters on the same account would have to redo it which would get tedious.

Some of these ideas - all, perhaps - might have been mentioned before and rejected. But there might be something decent amongst that lot :)
[Jul 21, 2003 10:37:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

A third idea is to add a training house on the starting island (i hear different players start on either alpha or guava - in which case, a training house on both) with expanded tutorials in it.

Barring that, I think they should expand their tips system to cover a lot of the finer points of the game. For example, most newbies have no idea they can direct their attacks in a sword fight.

Maybe a tip box in the Ahoy panel would work? You know, the kind with a handy sentence or two, above a "next tip" button. Toggle the box on and off in options.

Celaver wrote: 
We also going to start starting newbies on various other islands in the Emerald Archipelago, which will help a bit to ease the pressure.

As long as there are some open navy jobs, that should work. Finding something to do seems to be a problem at the moment.

Quick question, is there a way to easily edit the NPP numbers on the navy ships? For the time being, I think you might want to kick a lot of the NPPs off. They are taking up at least half of the duty stations on the navy ships. Even with the extra war brig on Alpha, I still can't find a single free station on any of the navy ships, and most of the new players are left standing around on deck waiting for a position to open up.

Or worse, they go back to the docks and lay heavily into their shout command.
[Jul 22, 2003 3:22:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Would anyone else like to see a way to turn receiving unsolicited challenges off, or at least curb it somewhat? Maybe attempting to challenge someone currently not accepting challenges would bring up a message prompting the challenger to, you know, actually talk with the guy first.

Also a toggle to turn off the disconnect/reconnect messages would be nice, but those haven't been too bad.
[Jul 22, 2003 10:06:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

A way to toggle off challenges was suggested a while back - I think it's pretty low on The List though. It's when you have a challenge appear as soon as you log on and your screen hasn't even cleared that it really gets me!

I used to take the time to explain why I was refusing; but there are so many challenges from new keen pirates now that I've had to start rejecting without an explanation - even if I copy & paste a tell to each pirate that challenged it would still take up a fair bit of time...one of the drawbacks of large numbers of new players.

I'm sorry if anyone's been upset or felt rejected because of a refusal without explanation - but I'm kinda running about in a mad rush a lot just now, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

AND I don't really like swordfighting that much (I get enough of that in sea battles to last me, and I'm not that great at it); which is why it would be lovely to turn off specific challenges...I can't see if it's a drinking challenge until I inspect it; and it SO rarely is ;-)
[Jul 22, 2003 11:19:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates