• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 328
Posts: 328   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 68376 times and has 327 replies Next Thread
StuManchu

Re: A guide to vintage whine Reply to this Post

Whines out of the long-lost whineyards of Evilaurian include the Nuance Utterly Escapes Hollandish Noobs merlots. They're best consumed entirely out of context and with no appreciation for their subtlety.
----------------------------------------
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Jun 13, 2006 12:34:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

Pierut wrote: 
Hooray! An epicurean thread at last in which we can compare our tastes and fine vintage years!

I haven't seen it mentioned yet in this thread, but when I think of whines, my mind immediately hearkens back to the 2003-2004 run of The game isn't the same any more and I'm quitting. This was enjoyed by a number of beta testers at the Shore Leave parties of the time, who would find themselves coming back immediately, sometimes two, three, or even four times for another glass!

There have been variants on that flavour since of course, but none of them have ever been able to make me grind my teeth in quite the same way. Alas!
Actually, it's the same as the wine I sampled in the second post, I simply used it's less formal street name, Quitting the Game. I admit your year was a slightly better run, but any other year is still a good wine.

My goodness! My apologies Muroni, though I am glad to have found another person that enjoys this vintage!

I personally have found that rifling through a three to four page copy of Faire Winds or We'll Miss You while savouring the ironic sharp bite of the cheese I didn't know you but I'm so sorry you're leaving that I'm bumping your attention whoring good-bye thread anyway even though you snuck back into the game three hours after you posted it while reclining with a glass is the best way to get a good, jaw-grinding headache that lasts the rest of the day.
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by DrunknBfly at Jun 13, 2006 1:29:45 PM]
[Jun 13, 2006 1:27:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
Wolf_Destiny

You'll never believe it, I found a bottle of "Why did you sink my thread?" when I was fishing last weekend. It's easily accompanied by a somewhat tart side dish, which goes perfectly with it's bitterly tart taste. Personally I recommend throwing the bottle back into the ocean, and watching it sink back down to Davy Jone's Locker.
Wolvenbeard on Viridian
Captain of the crew: Wolves of the Viridian

Lilcandi says, 'Nemesis is the main producer of ban sticks'
Lilcandi says, 'It's obvious -.-'
Lilcandi says, 'She takes them, and uses them like drugs'
[Jun 13, 2006 1:44:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PrimeThian

Whines out of the long-lost whineyards of Evilaurian include the Nuance Utterly Escapes Hollandish Noobs merlots. They're best consumed entirely out of context and with no appreciation for their subtlety.

*chuckles*
Prime (Hunter) : Fleet Officer of The Black Hunters
Typ (Sage) : Pirate of Irish Rouges [dormant]
Prime (Azure) : The Red and Green Senior Officer [memories]
[Jun 13, 2006 5:06:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Pierut wrote: 
Hooray! An epicurean thread at last in which we can compare our tastes and fine vintage years!

I haven't seen it mentioned yet in this thread, but when I think of whines, my mind immediately hearkens back to the 2003-2004 run of The game isn't the same any more and I'm quitting. This was enjoyed by a number of beta testers at the Shore Leave parties of the time, who would find themselves coming back immediately, sometimes two, three, or even four times for another glass!

There have been variants on that flavour since of course, but none of them have ever been able to make me grind my teeth in quite the same way. Alas!
Actually, it's the same as the wine I sampled in the second post, I simply used it's less formal street name, Quitting the Game. I admit your year was a slightly better run, but any other year is still a good wine.

My goodness! My apologies Muroni, though I am glad to have found another person that enjoys this vintage!

I personally have found that rifling through a three to four page copy of Faire Winds or We'll Miss You while savouring the ironic sharp bite of the cheese I didn't know you but I'm so sorry you're leaving that I'm bumping your attention whoring good-bye thread anyway even though you snuck back into the game three hours after you posted it while reclining with a glass is the best way to get a good, jaw-grinding headache that lasts the rest of the day.

Well I prefer those bumps to the I didn't like you anyway whines that seem to be popular this year.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Jun 13, 2006 10:01:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
troop85eagle

I tried a new one today that I found disappointing...."Wil u b my GF?", and it's cousin "Wil u b my BF"? It's a cheap wine, sickeningly sweet with a pathetic finish. Some vintages have turned bitter after aging, however, and those are the worst of all.
Netopalis
Captain of Different Drums
King of Ixiam
Dean of Ixiam University's School of Piratology
Grand Vizier and Chief Scallywag of the Order of the Palindromic Paladins
[Jun 13, 2006 11:38:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    anetopalis [Link]  Go to top 
Drusilla

I've been offered a glass of Will u b my BF quite often, lately; it is rarely appropriate to the situation, though, and does not usually come from anyone I'd consider an expert on whines. Needless to say, you won't often find me sampling. If you are of a mood to accept, however, I strongly suggest you serve it with a hearty cheese... perhaps Ill giv u stuff everry day?
Avast! Jesus were a leopard.
[Jun 14, 2006 9:56:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drusilla_ypp    raspberryjamdeg [Link]  Go to top 
Demetrei

I have taken your favourites into account, and must, most unfortunately, disagree. I prefer the LET ME IN2 UR HOUS NUB, as it is strong, bulky, and a valuable asset to any party. *hick*
[Jun 14, 2006 12:40:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

I can get people to drink this whine with me in game but no one wants to drink it with me on the forum, the the mugs are less balanced than ever chardonnay.
Rome
[Jun 14, 2006 2:31:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

I can get people to drink this whine with me in game but no one wants to drink it with me on the forum, the mugs are less balanced than ever chardonnay.

If I had a real suggestion to fix them, I'd gladly share a stein of that whine with you, Rome.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jun 14, 2006 2:49:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Czaro

Ah. You just can´t go wrong with a bottle of Go Skellies! accompanied with I was in the last X frays, I want my p0ez bac! cheese.
[Jun 14, 2006 3:26:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lizperk23

Lately I've seen several people sipping from the fine Sore Loser line. A favorite of artists everywhere, it has the unusual effect of heightening the drinker's persecution and inferiority complxes.

Interestingly enough, the label that produces Sore Loser has remarkably high output capabilities. New varieties can be sipped monthly, and have occasionally been sampled semimonthy. The distinct flavor of each grape may be slightly different, but Sore Loser is often decidedly sour.
"Yohoho the winds blow free-oh for the life of the rolling sea!"
Jollylady on Viridian
[Jun 14, 2006 3:37:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

I've sampled quite a few bottles of TEAMSTEAMSTEAMS WATCH TEAMS TEAMS SPAM TEAMS! lately. Sometimes they can actually be quite tasty, the kind experts recommend, but too often they taste like bilge and don't leave you.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Jun 14, 2006 5:08:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

I can get people to drink this whine with me in game but no one wants to drink it with me on the forum, the the mugs are less balanced than ever chardonnay.

There's also the My suggestion to fix them was ignored.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Jun 14, 2006 6:56:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

I wouldn't care if they didn't drink my whine, but when they drink here is how to fix this puzzle even though I admit I don't even play this puzzle and it breaks everything it's a bit frustrating.
Rome
[Jun 14, 2006 10:12:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Technique or Exploit is a new varietal with a surprisingly difficult to characterize taste. Opening a bottle of this vintage is tantamount to inviting friends and strangers to start a loud argument over the exact nature of the grapes involved in its making.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[May 10, 2007 11:58:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

Technique or Exploit is a new varietal with a surprisingly difficult to characterize taste. Opening a bottle of this vintage is tantamount to inviting friends and strangers to start a loud argument over the exact nature of the grapes involved in its making.

Ah yes, but you have to watch out for all the imitations with that one. And hurrah for bumping up old threads.
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[May 10, 2007 12:29:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PsychedGuppy

I enjoy a The Super-Mega allience is ruining the game occasionally. Mostly, Dub bought islands though.
[May 10, 2007 12:49:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

sadly though the technique or exploit that we're sampling at the moment isn't a 2006. So far 2007 hasn't had anywhere near the bumper 2006 harvest, I'm hoping that an early summer will certainly help with the quality.
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[May 10, 2007 1:14:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Alas, these two vintage whines weren't released in 2007:

The new AI is unbeatable and it's companion LSMs don't work any more. Both of which, despite having a smell of over rated self opinion taste sweetly of irony. Both taste like they should be green but are not.

...in favor of more Technique or Exploit bottles, but I hear Ice Whinyards may be testing a new bottling of the old blend.

One of my new 2007 favorites is Stagnat0r Chianti, from the emerging Whinyards of Sage Hills.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[May 10, 2007 1:16:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rohane

Ah! Sweet whine.

After rooting around in my cellar I found a nice bottle ofLSM is a exploit!! I found it kind of blanchy with a hint of sourness.

Of course there is the very old, but kind of nice whine of, port nao b4 we lose it all!!!11! Kind of stings the pallet if drunk too much.

Then to accompany it there is my personal favorite of when you lose a battle: we should have ported!

Last but not least there is the very green whine of, can i join ur crew and b cap?

Oh wait I found one last whine in my cellar.

island transfers suxz0rs
~Rohane
No one agrees with him. Then again he doesn't agree with anyone else either.

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/roms/
The link above is for my own personal benifit. kkthnxbai
[May 10, 2007 4:59:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

sadly though the technique or exploit that we're sampling at the moment isn't a 2006. So far 2007 hasn't had anywhere near the bumper 2006 harvest, I'm hoping that an early summer will certainly help with the quality.

Of course, we all know the secret to a good batch of T or E, is to start with a firmly crushed sour grape, and slowly introduce two or three particular favourite fruits of mine - the full-bodied fiery richness of the Chavez, the tangy unique forum tartness of the Piepi variety, and the pale, complex, oft misunderstood -and oft mistaken for leaving a bitter aftertaste- Shuranthae from Ultimate Vineyards.

Generally, any combination of the above will result in a strong, dry flavour with several different twists, each fighting for dominance of the palate in it's own way. Best served cold.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[May 10, 2007 5:05:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheZeekyWord

I've recently stumbled upon a quite an interesting whine, yelling at people for deliberate misspelling.

Every bottle of said whine is different, as it is actually two whines in one. The first is misspeller and complainer. The two, if combined correctly, will give you a different taste every single time. One will be sweet, the next will be sour, the thirdwill be sweet with a sour aftertaste.
cannedfood sez

I am pissed at the practice of pointless, perpetual persecution of people posting in piritical parley and politics.

[May 10, 2007 5:15:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

Another contender for this year - You don't understand (often marketed under the You just don't get it do you? label). Often the result of a blend of particularly popular grapes, pointless argument , poor analogy and tangential spinoff .

Something for everybody, and always a gamble. Bad bottles have been found to be extremely weak, and occasionally, the unscrupulous have been known to fortify this, somewhat disappointingly, with industrial-strength You wouldn't do it in real life .
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[May 10, 2007 5:31:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrycraig

i enjoy the always changing flavour of "OMG E-Z MONIEZ" brandy.

though a sweet refreshing "oh, no. why did i...!!!" is always adds something extra to the day.
- kennit
[May 10, 2007 7:17:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

Nothing as refreshing as a good, full bodied whine from the old sub territories...

A good bottle of "the mechanics are broken" never ceases to please. It's being marketed increasingly in the new green bottles, but like so many other whines, it's always fuller in flavour when it's from a source with a rich history...
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[May 11, 2007 3:46:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

Of course for those of us with less expensive tastes there is always the offering from Boone's Farm: Lucker.
His Holiness, The Dope
[May 11, 2007 4:05:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

AbralNarth wrote: 

As for my favourite whine, there can be no doubt that the finest whine I have ever taste is Mind-reading imps. Not too bitter, not too sweet, a perfect blend of flavours, and a beautiful colour (

How about a variation on that? The new AI is unbeatable and it's companion LSMs don't work any more. Both of which, despite having a smell of over rated self opinion taste sweetly of irony. Both taste like they should be green but are not.

It's yet to hit the market, but already I'm not looking forward to the flooding of the market of the 2007 vintage LSMs don't work any more.

It is my expectation that it will be marketed as a brand new taste, but in reality it will will disapoint you with a texture that feels like you have had it before. Sadly, its flavors that are trumped up as being a new issue will wind up tasting very much similar to earlier vintages. Lovers will proclaim that this vintage brings with it a new twist, but puerists will argue that they have made only token changes to the old blend.
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[May 11, 2007 4:54:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

puerists will argue that they have made only token changes to the old blend.

*rimshot*

I'm quite a fan of Bad Pun Pinot. With hints of kneeslap and Muppet, this red brings out the child in every intellectual.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[May 11, 2007 6:12:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Drusilla

I've tasted this year's Random Bump blend, and find that with few exceptions it is over-simple; you might as well buy a box of Midnight is Stagnant and save your money. However, relative newcomer Chateau de Fix the Edit Button is producing strong and fullbodied whines, with bracing tannins and a lingering bitter aftertaste. Some people have accused this producer of being common and too acidic, but they obviously haven't paired it with the Use Preview, n00b cheese; true, this cheese is produced in small batches and may not be locally available, but it is an excellent complement, and the pairing brings out the best in both products.
Avast! Jesus were a leopard.
[May 11, 2007 7:33:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drusilla_ypp    raspberryjamdeg [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 328   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates