• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1319 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Nemoder

Sea Battles Lost Reply to this Post

I find the majority of the sea battles I'm losing aren't do to poor navigating/puzzling but that often one or two crewmembers are kicked out of the swordfight either from a lost connection or the game freezing or the puzzle simply not starting for no reason at all.
Just one lost player on a large sloop can easily make the entire battle hopeless and it disturbes me to think what could happen if some truely evil pirates were to attack others connections to try and boot them off and get the advantage (ok so they'd probably have to know how to find them outside the game but still.. scary)

Would it be possible to temporarily replace crewmates with NPPs who were there at the start of the sea battle but dropped right before the swordfight started?

Sorry, it's gettin late and the piratey has gone out of me voice tonight..
-Disaster
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Sea Battles Lost Reply to this Post

This is why I advocated for a "reliability rating." A growing number of pirates have crappy connections, it's been a factor in battles I've been in too.
[Jul 17, 2003 10:54:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

Aye, got booted THREE times today, with no real reason behind it. There has to be a way to avoid this. I am connected via cable, so it isn't just lag.
----------------------------------------
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Jul 18, 2003 12:44:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
garf

the type of connection you have does not neccesarily determine the qualifity of your connection to a specific point of the internet.

there are lots of other factors involved, mainly how your isp links to other internet backbones. its in fact very common that two networks perform perfectly fine in most cases, but have very bad performance if routed through the other because there is no direct or close peering or the peering point is overloaded.

the fact that i had exactly one disconnect in the .. dunno, about a month ive played ypp shows that its not really a server issue.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jul 18, 2003 2:05:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I know I'm asking for lightning to shoot out of my network card when I say this, but I don't think I've had a disconnection since I started playing last year.
[Jul 18, 2003 2:17:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

aye, lots of disconnections Reply to this Post

We were particularly plagued by them during the tournament, and I've lost several battles now due to people disappearing - either with a "disconnected" or "left the ship" message. In the latter case, they often reappear telling me they were unaccountably logged off. This has happened to me several times now as well - I will be doing some random task (nothing consistent), and things will freeze briefly, and I will then find myself at the login screen.
[Jul 18, 2003 3:12:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Garf and I agree on everything but design philosophy. Reply to this Post

I think Cleaver just checks the usage logs and active connections and boots me when he thinks I'm bein' annoying or have been on too long.

Either that or he was really worried about me makin' the difference in that sea battle the other day!

No, seriously? Garf is right. As soon as I get booted I run a tracert to the server, and the bad hops aren't anywhere near Puzzle Pirates. I think there's some serious maintenance going on at Comcast, for what it's worth. Could explain me own unreliability of the last week or so.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 18, 2003 3:52:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

right now, theres a good chance lots of problems pop up - cisco routers (that are heavily used everywhere in the world) currently have a dos problem with a working exploit going around.
- Randal

[Jul 18, 2003 3:58:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Skipper

I have Comcast too and it is extremely unreliable. Back when it was AT&T Broadband, it was fine and all, but then the switch to Comcast made everything worse. I'll frequently be knocked off and it will sometimes take me as long as 15 minutes to log back on. Bah.
[Jul 18, 2003 6:23:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

coincidentally, i got disconnected right now and cant login - but i can trace azure3.puzzlepirates.com just fine, not even ping peaks visible, no packet loss. that probably means this is not a connection issue.
- Randal

[Jul 18, 2003 6:25:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

I haven't had any disconnect problems in the last few months, but in the last day or so I've been kicked out to the login screen a few times. The last time it did it, there were only about 20 players on, and I was on a ship alone looking at the trade interface, so it doesn't seem to be related to the larger numbers of pirates around.
[Jul 18, 2003 6:47:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
uzi

Aye, toss me into the list of rejected pirates.
What a horrible thing for the captain to be planked right at the start of a battle with no ohter officer on board. Then to not be able to get back to yer ship is a horrible thing.
It seems like it never happens at a good time.
It seems like lag has gotten to be a more noticeable part of the game too.
Must be those Horse Latitudes not staying in place.
What a night mare this could be!
Still hanging 10 through life and looking for the endless summmer.
[Jul 20, 2003 10:40:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Aye, This has happened a few times recently.

A crewmate will disconnect momentarily during the sea battle phase, but will be able to reconnect quickly - before the boarding/sword fight begins.

Is there any way possible to allow those players back on the ship during this period?

Players not on the ship at the time of engagement obviously can't board the ship, but any that were on at the time of engagement should be able to re-board.
Can anyone see any way to exploit this?
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jul 20, 2003 10:48:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

aye, let them re-board Reply to this Post

It would be excellent if they could re-board, or could be replaced with a swabby, at the very least. In an "even" battle, the loss of one fighter (who didn't even get to throw any blows!) can be quite fatal. I'm losing a great deal more frequently due to problems like this - in one battle, I lost THREE people right at the beginning (one of them was me!). Painful.
[Jul 21, 2003 1:20:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates