• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 262
Posts: 262   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 77087 times and has 261 replies Next Thread
BigDumbYak

Re: The Pillaging Picasso - win an octopus (or two!)

I prefer...
1. The books.
2. The Radio Play
3. The TV Mini Series.

The Movie isn't on my list.
----------------------------------------
Birdbeard of Sage

Francois tells you *tweet*
[Jun 1, 2006 5:31:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

Ahoy all! Said I'd be back in a week...it's been about that...

Wanted to say "Great job to all" again.

In the meantime, don't forget about other creative piratey events going on.

Ultimate Avatar Iron Chef - Win a Monkey
Bedtime Piggy - Win a pink Octo
Comic & CO. - Win a ribbon (?)

Later y'all!

~KP
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Jun 4, 2006 6:15:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

I, for once, actually didn't enter in this contest because I couldn't be here, and I'm really glad I didn't, which I was suprised about. I went through every entry in the "created" category and I was able to enjoy them without the slightest bias or competitive jealousy because I wasn't entering, and I have to say I was amazed. Some of you have real talent, all of you are creative, and many of you suprised me. Some of you should even go get your entries printed up all fancy-like because they're too good not to be hung up. You should all be really proud of what you've produced. Yay for arrrrtistic pirates and their lovely work! :)
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[Jun 4, 2006 12:59:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
karatekitty1

Mmm... Looks like some tough competition. I saw the fantastic entries and pleased with the different ideas people came up with for the contest. Congrats to the winner! ^_^
Greenie says, "how do i help orginiz blokeges"
[Jun 4, 2006 5:51:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
andman

I am getting antsy!
Iollipop!
ooh baby baby.
[Jun 5, 2006 10:00:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/thethoughtfuloblivion    hello4am [Link]  Go to top 
CapNBluetail

yes, at least some sort of hint as to where it's at in the judging process would be nice. everyone did such great work, i'm really excited to find out the results.
*~* Anne Bonnie *~*

- S.O. and Taskmaster of Calico Red on Viridian
- Completely dedicated to Calicorackam
[Jun 5, 2006 10:07:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Shouldn't be long now. I'm waiting for one more response, which is expected soon.
[Jun 5, 2006 11:49:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

Oh dude...I think my brain just shot out my nose...

Thanks for the update Pollo!

KP
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Jun 5, 2006 12:04:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bisquick

thank you KP for saving me from a similar reaction ;) (since I saw you as the last poster and not Apollo). I agree with many posts, there were some awesome entries. I'll be happy if I get a prize at all.

-Bisq
Bisquick - Midnight (turned Cerulean), and all other oceans
Captain of Ransack Marauders
[Jun 5, 2006 1:11:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    http://bisqy.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
chlodwig

Who are the judges?
[Jun 5, 2006 1:40:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Svea91

Who are the judges?

They're probably anonmynous (I can't spell today, sorry!), so that you can't bother them about the contest, bribe them, "suck up" to them, ect. blah blah blah.

Svea,
who is cursing her spelling.
Svea, YPP! forum's ultimate bootcher!
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
- Calvin and Hobbes
[Jun 5, 2006 3:12:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Wonderlander

Who are the judges?

The judges are a mysterious and shrouded group o' wise sages who keep their identities hidden fer the sake o' the security o' the entire universe. Should their secret ever be revealed, life as we know it could very well end! ...Or at the very least they could be swarmed with pesky greenies begging them fer favors and poe.

Ok, back to bitin' me nails in anticipation...
Get yer funnybone tickled! Read Green Waters!
[Jun 5, 2006 3:36:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://freewebs.com/wonderlander [Link]  Go to top 
chlodwig

The judges are a mysterious and shrouded group o' wise sages who keep their identities hidden fer the sake o' the security o' the entire universe. Should their secret ever be revealed, life as we know it could very well end! ...Or at the very least they could be swarmed with pesky greenies begging them fer favors and poe.

I don't understand those reasons for hiding the names of the panel of judges - but I don't really care to know them. I was surprised that Apollo wasn't the sole judge of the contest. I thought it was his. I'm glad to know there are others involved, actually. I found it strange that one person would need weeks to decide the rankings.

Are all the artistic contests judged by the same secret Council?
[Jun 5, 2006 6:15:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Oh dude...I think my brain just shot out my nose...

Thanks for the update Pollo!

KP

What nose? You been holding out on us, KP?!?!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Jun 5, 2006 6:27:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

Are all the artistic contests judged by the same secret Council?

Most often the event runner will select people to judge if it's not them. Bia asked for volunteers for the Micro-fiction Death Match, and I'm guessing from her post then that they also pick people that have won similar contests in the past.
Cristo-Viridian and occasionally the rest.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CountCristo at Jun 5, 2006 6:28:36 PM]
[Jun 5, 2006 6:27:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

This has been the longest week of my life! I most likely won't win the familiar(always the bride's maid, ya know?) but I am still quite curious nonetheless. Way to go whoever does win!!!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Jun 6, 2006 7:03:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xaquri42

Ants in the pants
Ants in the pants
Bunches o' pirates
Got ants in their pants

Montanio
I could be wrong...
[Jun 6, 2006 8:07:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
evermind

Everytime I see a new post here I jump. >.<

*refreshes again and again*
[Art Commissions - Closed][DeviantArt]
[Jun 6, 2006 8:14:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    skyscape6 [Link]  Go to top 
Triumvirete

Not to cause any more heart attacks with the new post, but watching the thread title instead of the new posts has saved my stress level tremendously. When "Judging in Process" changes to "Results Announced", then I'll have my heart attack!
--Aelesaia
[Jun 6, 2006 8:26:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    aelesaia [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

THE RESULTS!

The quality of entries in both categories was extremely high, with some very impressive pictures submitted. The results are below, with selected comments from the judges. There were so many great entries that the judges had a hard job; even if you don't get a mention, we loved looking at all of them.

Winners for the created category

In first place, and winner of an octopus (free choice of color except for white and black) and an inscribed flower trinket, is:

Wonderlander (Raggedrobin on Viridian). Impressive use of crayons, giving a wonderful playful touch! Beautifully executed, piratey, retaining all the style of the original, and referencing Munch's technique spectacularly.

In second place is:
Montblanc of Cobalt. Excellently done. The technique is nearly flawless mixing Leonardo and YPP beautifully. Someone hang this in Cleaver's office! Strongly evocative, with a good puzzle piratey sense.

In third place is:
HuskyTed (Llama of Midnight). The fresco texture is a nice addition, and the whole piece is well thought out and executed. Love the attention to personalities and details. It's got a wonderful sense of the original and great renditions of some of the Ringers. Magnificent.

Second and third place win an inscribed flower trinket and one of the following (their choice):
Sleeping animal (tortoise, turtle, piglet or pig)
Painted war brig (not gold, can be a smaller ship if you prefer), renamed to [Adjective] Picassofish
Apollo doll

Runners-up, winning an inscribed flower trinket, are:

evermind (Celestial on Midnight) - This is a treasure. The execution is wonderful, and the dream ship is just beautiful. Very good artwork and very reminiscent of the original.
Jerze (on Midnight) - Lovely matching of composition and style. Well thought-out. We love the piratey feel. Nice job.
CapNBluetail (Annebonnie on Viridian) Beautiful. Excellent use of medium. Love the details, and strongly reminiscent of the original.
threewishes (Pixieboot on Midnight) Very strong sense of color here. It's highly reminiscent of the original. Well thought-out, well-executed, detailed and beautiful.
Sundancer (on Midnight) Lovely technique, very well executed and very similar to the original.
Sseth (on Midnight) This is very reminiscent of the original, and you've tried to keep the tone similar, retaining the atmosphere of the original. Refreshing use of actual paints! Nice anatomy and layout.
pike106 (Pike on Sage) It's clearly "The Kiss" and the use of game icons is really cute and makes me smile. I can also get the painstaking effort that likely went into matching the color tones with those pieces. Excellent attention to detail, and the whole mimics the original really well. Amazing and fascinating collage.
Bisquick (on Midnight) This was well executed and the pirate using the telescope to study the massive stars is a nice touch. Simple and evocative, a very effective parody.
Micklauer (Kingpriam on Midnight) Excellent, well thought-out, and a lot of fun to zoom in on and work out who is who! The cartoony style makes a great picture, but possibly moves it further from the spirit of the original.
Chlodwig (on Cobalt) Nice drawing, and the layout and execution are lovely. Detailed work, lifting elements of the original beautifully. Needs the original alongside to fully appreciate the parody.

Honorable mentions from the judges, winning an inscribed flower trinket, are:

StoneKrush (Salmon on Cobalt)
Fiddlestick (Idol on Cobalt)
ruined_ashes (Hedvvig on Hunter)
Inkburrow (Queasy on Viridian)

Winners for the photoshopped category

This category was very close at the top, needed two tie-break judges in addition to the original judges to confirm the final winner.

In first place, and winner of an octopus (free choice of color except for white and black) and an inscribed flower trinket, is:

Ruby_spoon (Rubyspoon on Viridian). Detailed and excellent. The whole so completely retains the atmosphere of the original that it isn't immediately obvious just how many changes have been made to the picture. It is very well blended. In some parts, it's difficult to tell where the original ends and the changes begin. The new arm and the changed background are especially nice.

In joint second place are:
Jerze (on Midnight). Jerze did really well to keep the impressionist sense throughout her changes. It meshes very well with Monet's style. While subtle, the changes are very piratey.
Pike106 (Pike on Sage). There are a lot of cute additions here, most of which work well. It is impressive that the style is kept so well, despite the number of alterations made.
StillMyst (Mogget on Midnight). One of the best entries in the whole event. It's a breathtakingly brilliant idea that works incredibly well. Wonderfully subtle, and very funny.

The second place winners win an inscribed flower trinket and one of the following (their choice):
Sleeping animal (tortoise, turtle, piglet or pig)
Painted war brig (not gold, can be a smaller ship if you prefer), renamed to [Adjective] Picassofish
Apollo doll

Runners-up, winning an inscribed flower trinket, are:
gymtweety (Emilystarr on Cobalt)
HuskyTed (Llama on Midnight)
riisha (Cahya on Viridian)
phenylfairy (Lethe on Viridian)
Shantybones (on Midnight)
Sseth (on Midnight)
Vallin (Kalaena on Midnight)
Ruined_ashes (Hedvvig on Hunter)
Jyn (on Midnight)
Benzene265 (Rhodin on Viridian)
Xaquri42 (Montanio on Cobalt)
Vsmart (Blackcharity on Viridian)
Ayumiko (Allikat on Viridian)
Kariniosita (Salvation on Hunter)
Maccaca (on Viridian)
Urch (Urchin on Viridian)
Karatekitty1 (Capearl on Hunter)
Thusnelda (Madam on Midnight)

Winners should PM me with their choice of octopus color.
Other placed winners should PM me with their choice of prize.
For runners-up and honorable mentions, I will put your trinkets in a display case in a home of yours - a shack by default. If you have a trinket case already, I'll use it. If not, I'll place one there myself, and reclaim it at a later date.

Congratulations to everybody, and thank you for giving us such an enjoyable and difficult task!
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Apollo at Jun 6, 2006 10:39:54 PM]
[Jun 6, 2006 10:01:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
AndromedaCL

Congratulations to all the winners. Great job. :-)

I really had hoped to at lest get a runner up this time. Guess I better keep practicing.
Carribean
Carribean Cruise Lines

Androclea's Realm
[Jun 6, 2006 10:15:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/androcleasrealm/home.htm    AndrocleasRealm    AndrocleaNight [Link]  Go to top 
Salli_Roar

psh :( oh well :(
QueenSalli
Senior Officer and 'TM' of Party Central.
Member of flag Avast Party People
Lives on Guava Island, Emerald archipelago, Midnight Ocean.
Skellies are cute xD
[Jun 6, 2006 10:15:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vallin

Congrats to all and I might say this is a great birthday present! :)
Lucen on the Midnight Ocean
[Jun 6, 2006 10:27:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
karatekitty1

Bleh, guess I didn't keep the right ambience.. Owell thanks for the flower trinket. and congrats to the winners..
Greenie says, "how do i help orginiz blokeges"
[Jun 6, 2006 10:31:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapNBluetail

thanks for such a great contest apollo!
*~* Anne Bonnie *~*

- S.O. and Taskmaster of Calico Red on Viridian
- Completely dedicated to Calicorackam
[Jun 6, 2006 11:14:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Well I am gob-smacked - and of course delighted to be placed, and twice even. I was in shock and awe as the entries came in and rated my chances lower and lower as time went on!

Sensational entries people - and mega congrats to Wonderlander and Rubyspoon.
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Jun 7, 2006 1:17:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wonderlander

What can I say?
Fantastic competition, and heaping piles o' brilliant entries!

I think I'll call him "Cthulhu."
Get yer funnybone tickled! Read Green Waters!
[Jun 7, 2006 2:41:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://freewebs.com/wonderlander [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Wow! Having done enough of this kind of stuff before to call myself on occasion a "Google/Photoshop artist", I was really pleased to see this competition come up - but after seeing Pike's 'Nightwatch', which effectively did what I was doing but with more atmosphere, as well as Llama's 'Drawing Hands' and Lethe's 'Figure Study' both of which went the way of perfectly executing a single, brilliant concept, I was ready to give up. But it was seeing the quality of the other entries that inspired me to keep going, to add more, and if it hadn't been for them that extra arm and even all the rum bottles would never have existed.

Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks to the judges for their hard work.

Wow, I say.
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Jun 7, 2006 3:38:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

Congrats to all!

And a word of warning!

Never, EVER, EVER!!! beg for something you're not CERTAIN you're gonna win.../me watches Apollo doll slip away and blows my brains out!
*that's ok...the flower will look pretty on the casket*

Great work all!
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Jun 7, 2006 4:05:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StillMyst

WHEEE!!!
Thank ye thank ye thank ye judges and Might Apollo!!
I never thought I'd win!!! The sheer volume and quality of all the entries was terribly daunting!
Am glad you liked the Room at ARR!les...

Now I shall have the pleasure of watching KP's face turn purple to match his turban as I prance around with my doll!! Muahahahaha!!!
Mogget / Midnight
Take my PoE, take my land
Take my brigs and frigates grand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sea from me...

[Jun 7, 2006 5:13:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 262   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates