• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 50
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8803 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
54x

Re: Minor Annoyances Reply to this Post

Back to the original topic:

Can we have an icon on the vessel screen for when people are charting, (radaring) and for when people in the crow's nest?
----------------------------------------
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jan 9, 2004 2:57:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Badgundo

Further thoughts on this:

Instead of a map of the ship, as I asked above, how about little station icons along the lower edge of the bird's eye box? You click the icon, and it takes you to the nearest open station. Could include an up/down icon as well, that takes you up or down the nearest stairs. If we can teleport about the islands, we ought to be able to do the same around the ships.

I second the request for lookout icons. A charting symbol already exists, and a crow's nest icon seems like a pretty simple graphic that would let the Captain know if ye're really idling. or let the crew know that the Captain isn't just parked on his duff.
BadGundo, Cap'n of the Sea Ogres
Husband of Captain Starashes
[Jan 9, 2004 7:47:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

Or how about more fluid walk code? We stagger all over the island while the screen re-adjusts. It's rather annoying.

Perhaps moving the arrows about will scroll the screen, or maybe it sets yer pirate walkin' in that direction as well.

That would make it a lot easier to find an open station, and incidently make it a lot easier to walk around.

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Jan 9, 2004 11:27:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

You click the icon, and it takes you to the nearest open station.

An even more useful form of the "clicking an order takes me to a station" and "trying to use an occupied station takes me to a free one" ideas.

Just to be clear, the icons I wanted were for the vessel menu, ie. so I can see if officers are actually "lazing" or if they're targetting/radaring. They may not be puzzles but they are still a lot better than lazing about :)

Other thoughts... first time you get whisked on your account the game should mention money is not taken with you when you whisk. Crew and jobbing crew chat should be explained on the intro vessel.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jan 10, 2004 1:14:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
IcabobFreely

Cedric wrote: 
Better yet, make typing a/s/l automatically shun you.

I'm not bitter, really.

[size=7]yes I am

Please don't make it like a cheesy annoying aohell chatroom...........
Icabob of The Midnight Sun
And remember...
When you're having a really bad day, it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 4 muscles to extend your finger and flip them off.
[Jan 10, 2004 2:52:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    IcaTheBadOne [Link]  Go to top 
Capt_Poco

I have a few mainly asthetic gripes too. Is it too late to say them? What the hey:

*The Sailing puzzle should have bilge just like the Bilge puzzle. The bilge would slow down blocks very little, just enough to show swabbies that bilge inhibits sailing.

*The Carpentry puzzle could have bilge streaming in through the carpentry holes and stopping when the holes are filled up. Again, it should have a minimal game effect. Obviously, the bilge should not be animated.

*All puzzles should have a little window that pops up the first time you play, showing all revelant hotkeys and controls. Many Shockwave games have this.

*The money transfer problem could be solved by automatically withdrawing all your money from an island's bank as soon as you arrive on the island. Money while on an island would be called "in bank" or "on island" but would be used as "on hand" money.

Shoppe wages should automatically be transfered to your bank account. This, and the above suggestion, would vastly simplify money managment.

Guns should have a different graphic for loaded and empty. Prehaps the back of the cannon would be open in empty cannons and closed in loaded ones.

Shoppes should visually show when they are out of labour hours. Something like a red "X" sign on the distillery machines/looms/forge/ect.

Islands on the "sea" screen in the upper right corner should look different. Ideally, they could look different based on Diamondblade's criteria when he made his superb Midnight map (Forage/Market, Bank/No Bank, Colonized/Rustic).

*My argument for these suggestions is that, ideally, new players should not need to read the help file extensivly before playing. The help file is long and tedious to read. Instead, basic pirating rules should be clearly suggested visually.
homullus wrote: 
Gold star!

[Jan 11, 2004 7:36:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vexorg

How about turning "a/s/l?" into...

"Hi! I'm only twelve years old!"
Vexorg: Apparently still in some crew somewhere, Midnight
(May actually exist)
Yee: No, it's not a breakfast cereal.
AtteSmythe wrote: 
Mmm, community-built hype. Better than the real thing, with less work!

[Jan 11, 2004 7:44:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

Capt_Poco wrote: 
*The Sailing puzzle should have bilge just like the Bilge puzzle. The bilge would slow down blocks very little, just enough to show swabbies that bilge inhibits sailing.

*The Carpentry puzzle could have bilge streaming in through the carpentry holes and stopping when the holes are filled up. Again, it should have a minimal game effect. Obviously, the bilge should not be animated.

Since when do sails go under water? Rest assured, if my sails are under water, I'm jumping ship...or I would, if I wasn't already swimming. I understand the point...but no.

For your second suggestion, I mentioned that possibilty here.

That post talks about special variations to puzzles during storms that might come up, including mine:

I wrote: 
Maybe for carp...have certain holes start as designated flood holes that need to be patched up a lot quicker...outlined in blue, or maybe water starts showin' up at the bottom of the hole. You'd have to decide whether to patch higher up, where the piece really fits well, or risk a high rate of bilge comin' in as water starts to flow over the edge.
Maybe you could have a correspondence going from bilge BACK to carp now, even...as water goes down, it gives the carper a little bit more breathin' room. This would be more realistic if only the bottom two holes showed water creepin' up, and if the puzzled moved up, the water moved to the two new bottom pieces, although that could make coding way harder...not sure.

I didn't get any response on that at the time...but I do sort of like the idea still.
Hermit Smurrf
[Jan 11, 2004 7:53:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

*The money transfer problem could be solved by automatically withdrawing all your money from an island's bank as soon as you arrive on the island. Money while on an island would be called "in bank" or "on island" but would be used as "on hand" money.

That would kill withdrawal fees, and would ensure nobody goes to the bank. Instead they're going to make the banking system more interesting by making it more complex and realistic, rather than dumbing it down. And transferring isn't really a problem for most of us.

As for different graphics... I suppose heavily developed islands could look it later on, instead of having palm trees having houses and shoppes... but I don't see the use, unless you're talking about having it on the radar, and even then, it's something you can memorise, and it will be something that I'll put on my map for people to lazy to memorise it. It strikes me as just taking up more room for sprites we don't really need that much, although it would be good for newbies.

As for not reading the documentation... are you kidding?! This is a game focusing about a set of puzzles! How can you get started properly without reading what they're about? I've always been mystified by this magnetic compulsion not to read the help. I went through the whole online helpfiles while the client downloaded for the first time. It wasted none of my time. In fact, I think we should auto-forward people to the help files when they download the client, and recommend that they read them through.
from Midnight.
[Jan 11, 2004 8:33:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

54x wrote: 
As for not reading the documentation... are you kidding?! This is a game focusing about a set of puzzles! How can you get started properly without reading what they're about? I've always been mystified by this magnetic compulsion not to read the help.

But nobody ever does. I skimmed through a large number of the online documentation. There's a reason why in-game tutorials are enjoying a renaissance in gaming, and it's because no one reads the friggin' manual. Human beings are lazy.

I know it's hard to believe, Deebie. Trust me on this. There's a reason Windows is so popular, despite its suckability compared to, say, Linux or MacOS X. It's because you don't have to mess around with anything. Or anyone.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Jan 11, 2004 8:44:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

i read the help, but i had to wait a week for activation...

i would really like to see different graphics for different islands. as it is, it doesnt feel like the island you see in the top right hand window and the island you step out onto when you disembark.
Glub (again)
[Jan 11, 2004 1:13:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Slummock wrote: 
i would really like to see different graphics for different islands. as it is, it doesnt feel like the island you see in the top right hand window and the island you step out onto when you disembark.

The List. Long on it. Much has been done, but there's still more. It's surprisingly complicated to make work right.

And the cannons have a big word across them when they're loaded. Did you not see that?
[Jan 11, 2004 2:23:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

He might mean the cannon meter that was asked for a while ago, rather than in-puzzle confirmation? /me shrugs

It's because you don't have to mess around with anything. Or anyone.

Heheheh. Heheh. Haaaah. How ironic that this happens to be the very same OS that crashes all the time and requires wading deep into unintuitive menu systems to permanently resolve even basic problems. Probably some sort of divine punishment.
from Midnight.
[Jan 11, 2004 3:43:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Tee_Beard wrote: 
I know it's hard to believe, Deebie. Trust me on this. There's a reason Windows is so popular, despite its suckability compared to, say, Linux or MacOS X. It's because you don't have to mess around with anything. Or anyone.

Not until it crashes, and i get a 4am morning phone call asking me what the hell is the "any" key.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
54x

You do tech support, Jack, or do you just have really annoying "friends?"
from Midnight.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

54x wrote: 
He might mean the cannon meter that was asked for a while ago, rather than in-puzzle confirmation? /me shrugs

It's because you don't have to mess around with anything. Or anyone.

Likely. In that case, that's already on The List anyway.
[Jan 12, 2004 1:03:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ultima7

Tee_Beard wrote: 
There's a reason Windows is so popular, despite its suckability compared to, say, Linux or MacOS X. It's because you don't have to mess around with anything. Or anyone.

No its popular because it comes with your computer and you already paid for it. If Dell or other popular computer retailers offered a choice of OS when you bought a computer there would likely be a lot more Linux users. But since Microsoft monopolized the market by making deals with computer makers to automatically install their OS, most users are too lazy and/or ignorant to have any interest in changing OS and completely reformating the computer.
Argyle
[Jan 12, 2004 1:20:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

You can beat your heads against OS walls all you want in Shore Leave. Keep it to the topic here, please.
[Jan 12, 2004 1:22:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Capt_Poco

I admit I wasn't very clear on what my banking idea was. Her it is in a slightly clearer form:

The money you get from working at a shoppe, the money in the bank and the money in your hand should become one set of money. The money could be used just like "on hand" money. This way, you wouldn't need to visit the bank for every purchase. Transfering money between islands would still happen, but you would never need to visit a shoppe to pick up your pay again.

My suggestion was to have guns show they are loaded outside of the puzzle. As to the ideas to improve the interface, Cleaver said something about a "tutorial mode" in puzzles a while ago. This would have preety much the same effect as my suggestion.

Consider my ideas to be blown down. I just put this in for clarity and completeness.
homullus wrote: 
Gold star!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Capt_Poco at Jan 16, 2004 12:01:13 PM]
[Jan 16, 2004 12:01:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrFisherman

Aye, but... Reply to this Post

Artemis wrote: 
TheCosmicChz wrote: 
Yellow Arrow : Though its cute you can kinda-sorta block entry by standing o'er an arrow . . . I be getting tired a'getting off at Epsilon and ne'er being able to click the dock arrow, or getting off at Winter an' the sheep comes behind me and stands on the arrow. Heres a slight suggestion: when the alt key is held down raise the layering so arrows are on top?

don't forget about the mini-map: click on the upper right windwo and you can get to the dock from there. Although this problem still exists when trying to move around on ships.

Aye, but it does little to help an officer who is tryin ter split the booty with a greenie or jobber standin on the arrow leading to the hold....

I like his idea...
[Jan 17, 2004 6:14:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates