• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 358
Posts: 358   Pages: 12   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 49093 times and has 357 replies Next Thread
Arcturus
Developer

New Ocean: Hunter Discussion Thread Reply to this Post

This thread is for discussions related to the new doubloon ocean Hunter, coming soon to a puzzle pirates game near you!

(See the announcement here: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=35045)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Arcturus at Apr 13, 2006 6:09:35 PM]
[Apr 13, 2006 6:04:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stripey2004

Re: New Ocean: Hunter Discussion Thread Reply to this Post

Yes, hunter is a shade of green. *grins*
Featherfin
SO - Ransack Marauders, Lord - Marauders Pact
YPPedia administrator | Island Designer
"What's the Welsh for sea cucumber?" - Orsino
[Apr 13, 2006 6:24:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeatherfinYIPP [Link]  Go to top 
Welllingtion

Cool, Cool..Say, Any idea how big this ocean will be? And will us subscirbers be getting another ocean within 3months? 6months?
Wellingtion - Currently living on Malachite
[Apr 13, 2006 6:25:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homestarrunner.com/    Coolman2003306 [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

Why the need for another dub ocean?

I know it's a matter of economics but somehow playability has slipped through the cracks regarding these type of oceans.

Viridian overflowed onto Sage and now that ocean is sort of the player retirement home. The mega-alliances and cross over dubs just make it another fallout shelter for those who failed to achieve what they wanted on the other dub oceans.

If it's a matter of capacity then that's another story.

I understand the "leveling out argument" that comes with subscription oceans, but Cobalt was made unattractive because of former midnighters, but there is huge player base willing to support another subscription ocean as well.

Viridian and Sage seem to be equally opposite oceans so most forms of playability can be found on one or the other. However, there seems to be no middle ground areas for subscribers.

Does this ocean send the message to the players that subscription oceans are not feasible for the bottom line and expectations of OOO and subscription oceans will become obsolete in time once the current player base moves off the playing field?

If it's a matter of economics then why not consider charge per ocean subscriptions for the subscription oceans as a great deal of midnighters never step foot on cobalt and vice versa, why not give OOO the added income of charging a single ocean fee or multiple ocean fees to accomodate this aspect.

Example:
Midnight - Same as Current Subscription Rate
Cobalt - Same as Current Subscription Rate
Package (Midnight + Cobalt) Current Subscription Fee + 50% current subscription fee.

I love the name tho...Hunter Green is my favorite color =)
[Edit 2 times, last edit by d4rk0n3 at Apr 13, 2006 6:31:33 PM]
[Apr 13, 2006 6:26:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaet

Will you tell us (generally) how the ocean is set up (i.e. it's like Sage and Midnight, or it's like Viridian and Cobalt?), or do we have to wait to find out?
[Apr 13, 2006 6:26:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Emufarmers

How is this likely to affect the doubloon market? It's presently been sinking down to some rather low points; is this going to prop it up, or crash it altogether?

d4rk0n3 wrote: 

Viridian overflowed onto Sage and now that ocean is sort of the player retirement home. The mega-alliances and cross over dubs just make it another fallout shelter for those who failed to achieve what they wanted on the other dub oceans.

Maybe there'll be something different about this doubloon ocean to stop it from just being a "retirement home" for Viridian and Sage; we don't know the details here, after all...We can only hope Three Rings will be wise here. :)
Emufarmers on the Viridian
Emufarmers.com - Howdypedia
[Apr 13, 2006 6:33:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://emufarmers.com [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

Sage and Viridian will see a temporary doubloon bounce as players move. Then they'll go back to doubloon deflation as mates go back to playing poker and buying familiars.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Apr 13, 2006 6:35:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
DuoX

Why the need for another dub ocean?

How else will they test the new SMA enhancement code? And the new Greeter secrecy conspiracy code?

It's all part of a larger plan to drive you insane.

*giggle*

Igniknot.
Igniknot
Monarch
Armed Cocktail Party.
--
[Apr 13, 2006 6:38:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AtheneNoctua

Another doubloon ocean is cool! I'm going to start buying doubloons while they're still cheap on Sage in preparation for the new ocean.

What I'm guessing is that Poker is the reason behind the new ocean being doub rather than sub. Since the introduction of Poker, players on Viridian and Sage have been buying doubloons with credit cards to exchange for PoE in game, generating lots of $$$ for OOO. On the other hand, you can't raise instant PoE on the sub oceans by spending real money. Hence more doub oceans is the way to go for Three Rings -- makes economic sense.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by AtheneNoctua at Apr 13, 2006 6:49:09 PM]
[Apr 13, 2006 6:44:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manky

d4rk0n3 wrote: 
Viridian overflowed onto Sage and now that ocean is sort of the player retirement home.

And now Hunter will be the graveyard?
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[Apr 13, 2006 6:49:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gordo036

Meh, I was hoping for more subby goodness, but I figured the doub crowd would win in the end. It just better be pretty, after all, hunter green is gorgeous !

Nuey
~Who just might move to hunter permanently
Nuemenor

Auzziemoo officer chats, "quite a few lazers. im pretty sure not all of them are gunning or writing a book"
Freja says, "if you survive a week - you will be ready to help us scare the next new pirate half to death"
[Apr 13, 2006 7:20:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

Oh subscribers, you'll live. At this point I really doubt there will be another blue ocean for possibly ever.

If there was a Nobel prize for online gaming, I'd give Cleaver one for his micropayment idea. I hoped it would be a success and it sure was. My only regret is that my hope of using my cash to help me has fallen short, as there are thousands more who are perfectly willing to value their time even less then me.
[Apr 13, 2006 7:31:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

If you are planing on buying cheap dubs to move over, consider: The first hint of the coming ocean was about a month ago, and some people have already purchased (oh, just a guess, 400 or so per) cheap dubs in preperation.

Hhmm... Re-reading this, it gives the wrong impression. The message here is: Plan ahead. Read that island planers are having a deadline, and editor troubles. Read that ringers are mentioning constantly overful servers and login queues.

This tells you that there is a new ocean coming even before it is announced.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Apr 13, 2006 7:32:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

What I'm guessing is that higher demand for doubloon oceans by the customer base is the reason behind the new ocean being doub rather than sub.

Fixed (Unless of course them damn loots are involved)
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Apr 13, 2006 7:33:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Has anyone attempted the hunter.puzzlepirates.com/ links to try to extract info about the ocean?

Dylan wrote: 

[Apr 13, 2006 7:35:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

New Hunter discussion forums coming soon, but mvnForum is being mean and annoying to me at the moment.
[Apr 13, 2006 7:38:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

Has anyone attempted the hunter.puzzlepirates.com/ links to try to extract info about the ocean?

Yeah, heh but it wasn't up so wasn't surprised. I tried by using islands in other oceans and changing it to hunter, was that the wrong way?
[Apr 13, 2006 7:39:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
Welllingtion

Nope...

/e revs up his his Coffee maker for the big Debut....
Wellingtion - Currently living on Malachite
[Apr 13, 2006 7:41:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homestarrunner.com/    Coolman2003306 [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Yeah, heh but it wasn't up so wasn't surprised. I tried by using islands in other oceans and changing it to hunter, was that the wrong way?

Right method, too early. The Sage links didn't work until just a few hours before launch.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Apr 13, 2006 7:52:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
popeye09

Darkone wrote: 
...why not consider charge per ocean subscriptions for the subscription oceans...

I was thinking about this a little earlier. I read through the post about how there will never be the same income jump with the addition of a new subscription ocean as there will with the addition of a new doubloon ocean, and was just about to suggest ocean-specific subscriptions in answer to the dilemma, when you went and mentioned it yourself!

So, yes, I think ocean-specific subscriptions are a cracking idea. They would have to be implemented really I would have thought if expansion of the subscription side of the game is planned, just to make it financially viable, one would imagine (under the current system, if a new subscription ocean is opened there is no reason for any current subscriber to pay a penny extra to use it). Also hopefully might make the userbases a little more individually distinguished per ocean, as cross-ocean politicking and the like, as well as being frowned upon by a number of players, destroys the sense of the game world somewhat. Plus, reduces much-moaned about "familiar-stealing" by players of other oceans.

Depends if the Three Rings see a future in expanding the set fee subscription side of the game. I would have thought that ocean-specific subscriptions were a sensible way of doing it, if that were the case.
[Apr 13, 2006 8:00:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Blah, I wanted Chartreuse. Seeing greenies try to spell it would be funny.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Apr 13, 2006 8:04:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Framling

Blah, I wanted Chartreuse. Seeing greenies try to spell it would be funny.

We already have Coblat and Virdain.

I wonder if it's going to be the 'a few BIG archipelagos" style, or the "lots of little ones" style, or something in between.

Or - wait! More fruit!

/me thinks it should be a North-Atlantic style ocean. Lots of piracy in the North Atlantic. Really.
Framling on Viridian

Lolpirate says, "O.o Your ability to rhyme is unholy."

[Apr 13, 2006 8:07:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    framlingem [Link]  Go to top 
popeye09

Framling wrote: 
/me thinks it should be a North-Atlantic style ocean. Lots of piracy in the North Atlantic. Really.

What's that? Two huge islands, with a sea route between that takes the better part of a month to traverse?

;)
[Apr 13, 2006 8:09:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Nothing official mind you, but, Viridian and Sage have been playing to max capacity. Midnight and Cobalt, well not even close.

You already have a few hints about Hunter. Two islands are named Chachapoya and Quetzal.

Due to real life circumstances(a new fangled thing called 'work') my game time has been cut drastically so now I am seeing the value of the doubloon oceans. I have struggled with the decision to go to Hunter. As much as I love Cobalt and my crew and flag and all the people there, economically for me, it makes more sense for me to move to Hunter.

See you all there!!!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Apr 13, 2006 8:12:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

Mesoamerica? Sweet!
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by funnybones at Apr 13, 2006 9:25:35 PM]
[Apr 13, 2006 8:26:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

Framling wrote: 

What's that? Two huge islands, with a sea route between that takes the better part of a month to traverse?

;)

If ye'll notice in events IV is running a building naming contest for the two ringer held islands (Quetzel and Chachapoya). Both are South American names, so my guess is that we get to play Spanish Inquisition!

I realize the doubloon model works, it's great, very flexible and all that jazz, but as has been mentioned, it makes subscriptions obsolete. Doubloon oceans don't actually start out fresh because while mates may not have exp, they have all the PoE that a credit card and other players are willing to give for account wide doubloons.

Is there a way to limit the number of oceans doubloons can be transferred to (either two or three)? Would this help keep things a little more balenced between subscriptions?

I don't like the idea of charging subs per ocean that would just suck (and it wouldn't encourage more mates to go sub), unless it was something like current subscription prices gave you access to two or three oceans, making it sort of even with my doub plan.

Dragonlilly,
Liking diversity, but realizing the need for limits.

EDIT: Geography, it's important. ;)
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dragonlilly at Apr 13, 2006 8:39:37 PM]
[Apr 13, 2006 8:36:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
TianX9

So, has the betting pool on how high dubloon costs will inflate to been started? I'll put 5k that they'll peak around somewhere between 1000-1100.
[Apr 13, 2006 9:26:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Trasnfering doubloons on a startup ocean is nothing more than the in-game equivalent of a loan. Nothing else.

This is just the often requested "loan" ability between players.

If I have a lot of doubloons and start work on Hunter, then I have the ability to borrow other people's navy wages (probably at 400 per) with a game-token as collateral. Later, I'll repay that at 600-800 per.

It's a loan, plain and simple. Nothing else.

Hmm ... Doya think we'll see oceanwide barbarians at the same time as we see hunters hunting them?

Dylan wrote: 

[Apr 13, 2006 9:31:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Hm...*this* time I'll beat Silversnap and mem the whole darn place first!
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Apr 13, 2006 11:50:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akerasi

Not if I do it first muffin ;). I'll be out there trying to memm it fast too ;)
Akerasi, Captain of the PFRC, Sage Ocean
Seido, Mercenary for hire, Sage Ocean
Citizen of Arakoua Island and the keeper of Arakoua's Destiny
[Apr 14, 2006 12:10:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 358   Pages: 12   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates