• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 46
Posts: 46   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11893 times and has 45 replies Next Thread
Penndalla

Please add a job invite on the Hearties Menu

I would like to be able be able to invite me hearties to job on the little menu that pops up. Jest a small thang, but it shouldn't be too hard ter add in.
----------------------------------------
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jan 6, 2004 10:45:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
jlopatin

Re: Please add a job invite on the Hearties Menu

oooh! great idea! I second this!!
Barrghnaby
formerly,Captain of The Sea Hounds
now deceased...
[Jan 6, 2004 11:05:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

I also wouldn't mind a 'hearty broadcast'. Probably better than a job option, since it's more flexible.

atteSmythe,
who'd make the chat color pink with little hearts on the end of the bubble

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Jan 7, 2004 2:16:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I guess it depends on what you use your hearty list for. I use it to keep track of the people I need to speak with most often, whose status I can't keep track of as easily as with the crew tab. I would use a /job a lot more than a /hearty broadcast.

Edit: By that, I mean that I speak to the individuals, not the group. Some are flag royalty and titlees (its main purpose for me), some not. Completely different sets, and a broadcast would be, essentially, useless to me.

Hey, when flags pics come in, can the middle of the sunburst show the flag pic and a click on it bring up /fwho?
[Jan 7, 2004 2:20:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

I suppose. It just seems like it's the only 'social group' in the game that can't be contacted en masse. Sometimes when we're doing something fun, like headed out for Frigate pillage, or hostin' an impomptu tournament, I'd like to be able to tell all me hearties "Hey! Tell your flags that there's a tourney on Epsilon! Win 15k of my poe!" or something.

atteSmythe,
who needs to throw some more poe around in a tourney sometime soon

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Jan 7, 2004 2:29:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

If ye think 'tis difficult ter get on me Hearties list now, I'm here ter tell ye that 'twill be nigh-impossible if'n there's a broadcast function added t'it.

[size=9]Oughtta rename me shortcut ter Yohoho! Chatter Pirates, 'cuz I cain't 'member th' last time I puzzled...
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Jan 7, 2004 4:01:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
Shetara_1998

Personally I think that it should be easier to get on with crews that belong to your flag. Like if I want to sail with another crew of my flag then I should have like a flag button or something that lists the crews and who is on so I can find them easier then also apply for a job on the same page. Also it should be eisier to hire someone in your flag by the same button. It might not work but something to make this easier would be great. I personally have trouble remembering the commands / this or / that.
[Jan 7, 2004 4:09:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
quixmix

While we are at it..... can we please please make the hearty list accept more people than 50. I hate having to recycle spots to talk to the most "recent" people I need to keep track of. Some of us are pretty darn social and I do hate snubbing my friends.

=(((( Please!!

Yes I know its been mentioned before. But it is important. Shush.
Ace o' Hearts
Captain of The Last Exiles
[Jan 7, 2004 4:14:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

I second this.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Jan 7, 2004 4:24:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
dr4b

I guess the good thing about a Hearty broadcast is that conversations can't *really* ensue over them, since only one person can broadcast to the particular group - it'd theoretically just be one-shots like "Hey, I could use a hand on board and none of my crew's on, are any of you free?" along the same lines of things you'd ask your crew; basically being the equivalent of sending several tells at once. And if the "job yer hearties" button got implemented, all the better, since ye could broadcast that, and then job whoever replied!

But the bad thing is that we have different "levels" of hearties I think; that is, some hearties are people you talk to a lot, and some aren't. Also, adding *any* extra chat channel is open to spamming. And unlike a /tell, I'm assuming a broadcast wouldn't send you back ten replies of "Janthina is gunning and may be too busy to respond. Squid is navigating and may be too busy to respond. Blithey is distilling and may be too busy to respond. Thunderbird is sitting on the docks talking to people and may be too busy to respond.", which might make it harder to not accidentally spam someone.

So uh, to sum up, I like Penn's suggestion for a "job me hearties" button. Yeah. And the more than 50 suggestion too. (I'm nowhere near it, but I've tried to hearty a few people who were at it, and I felt weird asking someone to make room for me on their list.)

Oh ya. Shetara, /fwho is your friend.
Janthina, proprietor of Turban Outfitters on Jorvik.
Deadly, when I gather materials
Never engage any less than Imperials.

[Jan 7, 2004 7:22:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

I have thought before of a hearty broadcast so I could send out a message, then I thought about receiving broadcasts. I would shuck people off my list like a plague. I say no to hearties broadcasts. I can also imagine the frustration of hearing parts of broadcast conversations.

More than 50 would be nice, though. I have a diabolical plot involving and alt and hearties, and more than 50 slots would make it so much easier.
Pennsuedo

[Jan 7, 2004 8:19:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

dr4b wrote: 
Thunderbird is sitting on the docks talking to people and may be too busy to respond.

Except I hardly ever talk to people ;).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jan 7, 2004 1:25:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheCosmicChz

dr4b wrote: 
I guess the good thing about a Hearty broadcast is that conversations can't *really* ensue over them . . .

Oi people will chit-chat o'er them anyway =P I used to go to a talker that had a friends list, and a friend-chat that only broadcasted to your friends. Sure enough people would be carrying out huge convos, for completeness sake I would fadd (friend-add) whoever they were talking to so I could tell what the 'ell was going on, and mayhaps e'en participate a bit. This tended to confuse e'eryone else on my friends-list so they fadded all the parties involved. Rinse-repeat. It was rather amusing actually, specially since I ended up with a friendslist that I only knew prolly less then half personally =P

Regardless, people *would* try and use hearty-chat as a traditional chat chanel, however innapropriate. It would be nice but we'd need /mute #chanel b'fore we get t'that.
--Dcurd :
Not the cap'n of Dcurd's crew
Stick-wielder of questionable sanity-or something
[Jan 7, 2004 2:36:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    NotSoDreadDcurd [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

I was thinking about a low priority change that would be nice to have and work slightly better than hearty broadcast. Temporary chatting groups. Give players the ability to invite people into a temporary chatting group. So, say you're running a contest, and you want the captain's of the participating team on the same channel so you can talk to them. You have to job them, and tell your own crew to shut up. With temporary chatting groups, you invite them into the chat group, and use that channel instead. People are free to leave the group at any time so they can shut the channel off that way. They leave when they log off. The group automagically disappears when the last person leaves it.

The way this is implemented in the instant messaging software we use at work has one added "feature". When you invite someone to join the group, you send them a custom message. We use it for short broadcasts, by customizing the message to tell people what they need to know, and then selecting the group that need to know. They all get invites, but that tell them everything (and indicate end of message), so they just decline them and go on with their work.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Jan 7, 2004 9:52:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

jasandrea wrote: 
So, say you're running a contest, and you want the captain's of the participating team on the same channel so you can talk to them.

Some of us (I'm looking at you, Hom!) had crews for that very purpose.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jan 7, 2004 11:43:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

I've often wanted to send a message to all me hearties, mostly just a "ahoy all" or something like that. I personally very much like the idea although I can certainly see how it might cause a problem.
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Jan 7, 2004 11:54:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

50 hearties = "ahoy all" to all of 'em = evil. EVIL.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Jan 8, 2004 3:39:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmmEss

After having 30 odd people on my hearty list, I've now since learned three things, 1 be more selective in who you hearty, 2 having a broadcast to them all would be VERY bad.. 3 log in as my alt first talk to whom i want to talk to,then prepare for spamming /tell's when i log on regularly.

As for a jobbing menu that would not be bad at all, as long as people you add have the decency to ask before jobbing..which again helps if you do #1 of those 3 things I do already...
[Jan 8, 2004 3:44:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Gotagota wrote: 
jasandrea wrote: 
So, say you're running a contest, and you want the captain's of the participating team on the same channel so you can talk to them.

Some of us (I'm looking at you, Hom!) had crews for that very purpose.

Some of us don't have enough alt slots.
[Jan 8, 2004 4:19:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Rumor has it that Homullus only has 15 slots. We should ha' taken up donations fer the poor mate.
Pennsuedo

[Jan 8, 2004 6:48:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Shetara_1998

Ok I am really confused about the "alts" I thought it meant your three character slots at the beginning and you have to choose one so how do you have an alt on a ship and your normal Character is on at the same time and your alt stays on the ship so you can run around and do things. Also how does someone have 15 slots. Maybe I misunderstood something but I am still learning how to navigate some of the new updates on PP. I don't even have a hearties list cause I didn't know how to work it and I still don't understand how a list can help if you can't chat to any or all of them at once if you want.
[Jan 9, 2004 2:24:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ultima7

Ok lets see if I can help Shetara.

People use "alts" to save their position on distant islands by making new accounts (usually without paying) and inviting the new greenie into the crew and dropping it on the island. When you want to get back to your boat, just log on to both accounts at once and have the "alt" get on the boat so you can whisk there.

The 15 slots Penn was joking about, is a rumor (I think he just created it) that Homulus paid for 5 accounts to he could have 15 pirates. Not quite enough to handle his ego, but getting close. (no insult intented, just playing around)

The hearties list is designed so that you can know when friends who are not in your crew are logged on. Currently it has no further functionality. That is what this thread started as, Penn asking for a new function.
Argyle
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ultima7 at Jan 9, 2004 3:02:26 AM]
[Jan 9, 2004 3:02:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

EDIT: Mosy of my text removed since Ultima got in ahead of me.

The way it works is that you have to be on the same screen as the person you want to add, click on them, and then the heart in the lower left hand side of the radial menu that pops up. This will send a request to the pirate that you want to add them. Up to them whether they accept or reject. Also a note, there is a limit to the number of hearties one can have, I believe it is sitting at 50 right now, so make sure you only add those you really want to.
[Jan 9, 2004 3:05:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Shetara_1998 wrote: 
I still don't understand how a list can help if you can't chat to any or all of them at once if you want.

Whether or not you were my friend, you could see if I was logged on by typing "/who Akebia" and you could talk to me by typing "/tell Akebia You are awesome!"

If you are my hearty, then you can see when I'm online without having to type "/who Akebia". This is helpful if you have more friends than just me. Also, whenever I log on or off, you get a message. And, best of all, if I am on your hearty list, then you are automatically on my hearty list.

There is no option for you to chat with all your hearties at once. How would they write back to the same audience unless they had exactly the same list of hearties as you? That would be very constrictive.

If you do have a close-knit group of friends and want to talk to them often, you should all get together and form a crew-- that's what they were designed for.
[Jan 9, 2004 3:15:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

You may not care or believe me, but I have never had more than one account, nor has Thusnelda. One slot is for Homullus, one is for Grignr* (to keep some flag resources separate), and one is for my anonymous crewless alt, when I want to see how people treat people they don't know.

*[size=9]For those not in the know, type "The Eye of Argon" into your favorite search engine. In fact, once we can name ships, I want one named The Eye of Argon
[Jan 9, 2004 3:22:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Shetara_1998

Thanks all! LOL I am my husbands alt. It is silly for either of us to creat any more accounts since either of us can log on one comp then log the other on from another and use them however. Which is what my hubby, "Manny" in the game, does with me. Of course it would just be easier if you could access your boat without needing someone on it I mean it is your boat you should have a list of your boats and you could click on one and be whisked to it wherever it was. I don't really make friends very easy and am not really the chatty type so unless other pwople invite me to their friends lists I doubt I will even use it.
[Jan 9, 2004 3:55:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Broadcast

Hearties broadcast is not going to happen, I fear. Too potentially annoying. Arbitrary chat groups, however, are on the list. Sort of like the rule about email being absorbed into any application, IRC too. One day.
[Jan 9, 2004 4:31:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Re: Broadcast

Cleaver wrote: 
Hearties broadcast is not going to happen, I fear. Too potentially annoying. Arbitrary chat groups, however, are on the list. Sort of like the rule about email being absorbed into any application, IRC too.

w00t!

Say, what happened to the guys who were maintaining the List thread?
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Jan 9, 2004 5:10:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dr4b

homullus wrote: 
*[size=9]For those not in the know, type "The Eye of Argon" into your favorite search engine. In fact, once we can name ships, I want one named The Eye of Argon

Actually, unless someone wants to die of laughter, I humbly suggest that they *don't* read the Eye of Argon. (We used to have a semesterly reading of it, wherein we'd pass around a printout from person to person as each reader read aloud until they couldn't continue...)

Although, it might serve as an excellent foundation for learning how to parse some of those incomprehensible Greenies on the docks. Hmm.
Janthina, proprietor of Turban Outfitters on Jorvik.
Deadly, when I gather materials
Never engage any less than Imperials.

[Jan 9, 2004 5:53:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SALemur

And I thought Trivial Pursuit Questions were bad . . .

Squid and I just tried a little reading aloud contest.

I almost made it through the first 3 paragraphs.

Squid lost it on the following sentence.

Oh, my, what fun mast-tail parties await us!

--Lemur
[Jan 9, 2004 8:16:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 46   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates