• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 119
Posts: 119   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19540 times and has 118 replies Next Thread
Avernus666

Who wants to be Governor of Lima -- WINNER [Cobalt]

I love the smell of burnt beans in the port, smells like... victory.

Lima has fallen, Nemo is defeated and the Sakejima Island transformation is now complete. I, Avernus, am growing weak now. My once raging fire of evil is now but a smoldering ember. I fear my time on this ocean is now very short. [learn about Avernus and what he did ]

Hades is calling me home but I have one last thing I must do before I return to the swamps of Sakejima. I must use my final evil spark to launch a new wave on the Cobalt Ocean. Lima, once the pride island of Nemo, shall be the stage to launch this new plan but I need a leader with a plan worthy of such a fine prize...

Who wants to be the Governor of Lima Contest!

Yes! The ocean fought hard to free Lima [Blockade Thread ] and now you can be the governor! This is a contest to see who can come up with the best plan for Lima Island. The person with the best plan will be made Governor and have the chance to make their plan a reality.

Plans:
-The governorship will last for three months, from May 1 to July 31.
-Governor plans must be posted to the Lima Governor Plan Entry Thread . No links to outside pages will be allowed.
-Plans may however include links to Island images or XML layout files.
-Plans may be reworked based on commentary at any point up until the deadline. (please only ONE post per person.. edit your entry)
-Governor plans must include 3-6 planned events.
-Planned events do not include tournaments and auctions.
-Governors may include tournaments, auctions, and any other details they wish in their plans.
-Plans due by April 18, 11:59 PM Pacific (Game Time)
-Plans may only have one blockade style event
-Plans must explicitly state what OM support will be required. (This should be kept to a minimum)

Judging:

-Judging will consider the originality, creativity, and independence of plans.
-Past governor winners are not eligible to win, but may offer commentary on any entries.
-Judging will be completed by April 26.

Governor Characters:
-The governor will need to be a new alt on a subscribed account for the duration of the governorship.
-The governor character will be an event character (with a white name) for the duration of the governorship.
-The governor character will join Hades' crew as an officer.
-The governor must be available between April 26 and 30 to get set up.

Support
-For the events, Hades can provide some support in the form of materials, possible Oceanmaster assistance, and minor prizes such as trinkets.
-Minthe (Bia) will be the governor's main point of contact throughout the governorship.

DO NOT POST ENTRIES IN THIS THREAD!!!!

{{{ Post Entries for the Contest HERE }}}
----------------------------------------
Avernus
Former Overlord of Sakejima [Cobalt]
{All about Avernus }
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Avernus666 at Apr 27, 2006 3:48:35 AM]
[Apr 4, 2006 11:04:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ruddigore

Re: Who wants to be Governor of Lima [Cobalt]

Avernus wrote: 
the Sakejima Island transformation is now complete.

I see no sheep.
Ruthven, FO Yarr Talk, Cerulean
Despard, SO Fer Crown and Fortune, Emerald
[Apr 4, 2006 3:56:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ [Link]  Go to top 
Avernus666

On the Sheep: They decided to let us give away Lima so I didn't press my luck.
Avernus
{All about Avernus }
[Apr 4, 2006 4:29:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

As an initial comment to anyone entering in the contest.

Please read this post to see which entries from the first contest were mentioned. While the rules have changed slightly, notice that the entries mentioned were detailed and complete.

Also, if you go and look at what the three governors (Avernus, Brontes, and Charun) did during their tenure, you can consider what worked and what did not work for each of them. Use that information to craft your plans. Ask yourself what you can do better and work from there.
[Apr 4, 2006 7:29:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avernus666

And the good news...

all my stuff is now in the Wiki.... just click the link in my sig.
Avernus
{All about Avernus }
[Apr 4, 2006 8:11:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

To clarify, we cannot make a webpage like Avernus did when he won to show our plan, correct?
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Apr 5, 2006 10:51:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avernus666

There is nothing to clarify:

Rules clearly state:
Governor plans must be posted to the Lima Governor Plan Entry Thread . No links to outside pages will be allowed.
Avernus
{All about Avernus }
[Apr 5, 2006 11:06:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PJC321

Just wondering what happens if you write say 7 events not 6, are ye disqualified or does it not really matter?
Pjc

Winner of the first Familiar in Booty or No Booty!

Retired, just around in the forums nowadays
[Apr 5, 2006 12:54:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Avernus666

Just wondering what happens if you write say 7 events not 6, are ye disqualified or does it not really matter?

No you wont be disqualified. 3-6 is merely a guideline based on the amount of time you have to be governor.
Avernus
{All about Avernus }
[Apr 5, 2006 4:29:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FerdtheGREAT

Will we be allowed to place new buildings, as you did on Sakejima?
Ferdnand
[Apr 5, 2006 7:13:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rnchairman@yahoo.com    jus24tin [Link]  Go to top 
Avernus666

One of the things you will be judged on is feasibility. Asking specific question of can I do this or that will only yield the same response from me... you will be judged on feasibility.
Avernus
{All about Avernus }
[Apr 6, 2006 8:33:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GovCharun

Greetings mortals of Cobalt,

I Charun have been asked by my brother Avernus to look over the entries to the Lima Governorship contest and to make any comments about entries I deem appropriate.

I have just skimmed over the current entries and decided the best course of action is to give some general tips and suggestions.

1) An entry that sounds like "I want to be governor because I think it would be cool and i would like lower taxes to. . . um 10% and have lots of cool events so um plez pick me." isn't going to win. If you look at the entries that Avernus, Brontes and myself submitted you will see there was a lot of effort in them. You can find mine by looking up Charun in the Wiki and Avernus' by looking up him in the Wiki.

2) Be specific and know what you want to to and how you will go about accomplishing it. The best plans will be detailed and organized. There will be lots of things that you may have overlooked or don't go the way you expect. The better your plan is the easier you'll be able to handle the unexpected. It also shows that you can handle the responsibility that goes with being a governor. Our winning plans are all detailed and organized and went a long way to putting us all in the list of possibilities during judging.

3) Make sure you plan is feasible. While wanting to have random skellies walk around the island fighting pirates one-on-one maybe cool it is not feasible without major coding changes to the game. Changes to the code isn't going to happen just for your benefit. Write your plans accordingly. When in doubt ask others if something might be feasible. I at least would be more than happy to tell anyone whether I think they have an idea that the judges may be receptive to.

4) Creatively package your plan. I am not sure about Brontes plan as it has been quite some time since I read it but my plan was wrapped in a story. My plan and governorship was thematic with that story even if the individual details of governorship were not necessarily have had to be specific to the story. Avernus made his story an integral part of carrying out his plan. Why do this you may wonder. It makes your plan stand out. While presentation alone will not gaurantee that you'll win it will give you the edge amongst equally good plans and make yours stand out. Minthe did not specifically tell me but I have been convinced since the get go that my plan won out over a couple of other equally good plans strickly on presentation. Be create with your plan presentation. Make it fun to read.

5) Watch your grammer and spelling. This too isn't the most important detail but it will give judges a good impression which does factor in the final selection. I personally hate to read plans that are full of internet speak and just plain lazy typing. There is nothing wrong with being piratey for effect in presentation but laziness is obvious and you have plenty of time to proof read your entry, many times over. I personally made numerous updates to my entry for Sakejima correcting typos and grammatical mistakes. Attention to detail will only help your plan in the end.

Hopefully some of you aspiring governors will find some helpful tips in this post. If anyone wants specific feedback from me on thier plan please feel free to PM me and I will give you comments specific to your plan and some personallized advise.

Good luck to you all and know that I look forward to reading your plans.
Charun, Gatekeeper of Hades
Former Governor of Sakejima Island on Viridian

Host of Plundered Poems: Dead Man's Chest
[Apr 6, 2006 8:49:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dewdlebug

What will happen at the end of three month period? Will governship be passed onto another event oriented character or will be passed back to Minthe?
You know what they say about having sex with asians? You scupper them and you'll be horny again after an hour...
[Apr 6, 2006 11:44:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avernus666

What will happen at the end of three month period? Will governorship be passed onto another event oriented character or will be passed back to Minthe?

Doesn't that really depend on the Plan?? In all likelihood the island will return to Minthe/Ringer control.
Avernus
{All about Avernus }
[Apr 6, 2006 12:31:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skydye

Does the account have to be a seperate account or can it be the account that is currently running with an alt?

And then seperatly is there a list anywhere where there are restrictions of that Governer can and can't do as well as things the OM will be able to help with... ex; money, instructions, and such?

Lastly what about having others under you to help you... ex:avernus's demons. Do they have to follow the same regulations of having a proper account and such?

I am sorry to hastle but they are questions i figured others have
Traitor, Barrelstopper, Stupid, Childish, Modder, Greenie, Wannabe... There's somethings money can't buy... for everything else there's hate.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skydye at Apr 7, 2006 12:31:37 AM]
[Apr 7, 2006 12:28:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/21tobeshot    skithetide12    skyde12 [Link]  Go to top 
Avernus666

Does the account have to be a seperate account or can it be the account that is currently running with an alt?

Rule states: The governor will need to be a new alt on a subscribed account for the duration of the governorship.

All you have to do is meet that requirement.

And then seperatly is there a list anywhere where there are restrictions of that Governer can and can't do as well as things the OM will be able to help with... ex; money, instructions, and such?

Nope

Rules State: Plans must explicitly state what OM support will be required. (This should be kept to a minimum)

Feasibility is considering in the judging

Lastly what about having others under you to help you... ex:avernus's demons. Do they have to follow the same regulations of having a proper account and such?

Yup
Avernus
{All about Avernus }
[Apr 7, 2006 4:57:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Euryale

This one really kept me thinking, especially about the state of the palace coffers at each stage of my plan. Well done for running such a thought invoking, strategic competition.

Euryale,
Brass-fisted gorgon.
[Apr 8, 2006 5:39:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
B_licker

Would it be possible to get an XML file of Lima? It would be nice to get a sense of how much building room is available on the island. I have a hard time determining from the map exactly what spots are buildable and how much space the various buildings will occupy.
[Apr 12, 2006 6:26:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

Here is the base XML for Lima for the Tool Editor

Lima XML
[Apr 14, 2006 4:46:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avernus666

Forgot to post a deadline time with the date. The main post has been edited to include an entry deadline date and time.

-Plans due by April 18, 11:59 PM Pacific (Game Time)
Avernus
{All about Avernus }
[Apr 15, 2006 1:08:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avernus666

Final Day... get those entries in and make your final edits!
Avernus
{All about Avernus }
[Apr 18, 2006 4:53:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sivius

Someone's entry wrote: 
I have already received donation promises of over 500K poe.
Is there a rule on PoE earned beforehand? It would be unfair to contestants who are maximizing what's earned through the palace and events and other resources through governing.

Siv,
Fun > Reality, don't spoil the event by already having PoE.
Sivius
Unretired, sort of.
[Apr 18, 2006 5:36:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

Someone's entry wrote: 
I have already received donation promises of over 500K poe.
Is there a rule on PoE earned beforehand? It would be unfair to contestants who are maximizing what's earned through the palace and events and other resources through governing.

Siv,
Fun > Reality, don't spoil the event by already having PoE.

By stating the poe donations I have already secured, I merely meant to demonstrate that I have the fundraising capacity that any event planner needs. The OP asked us to state expected OM help. I have said I intend to give away a lot of poe. I wanted to demonstrate that I did not need OM help for this aspect of my events.

Everyone has proposed expensive events, and we will all have to raise funds. Does it really matter if I have already begun my preparations?

If the OMs determine that my early fundraising should not be considered, they are welcome to remove the quoted line.
Hiding from Hades on Hunter

FO of Flocktarts on Hunter
Exiled Captain of Pod People and Queen of Stalkers on Cobalt
Former Governor of Lima
[Apr 18, 2006 7:49:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sivius

Yes, PoE donations secured by your "alter-ego," assuming that is your main character, would be a large, unfair advantage. This means you have rich friends on Cobalt willing to help you buy the island rather than earn it through the governing plan itself.

Just a thought,
Siv,
Probably not going to submit his entry.
Sivius
Unretired, sort of.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sivius at Apr 18, 2006 8:01:31 PM]
[Apr 18, 2006 8:00:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

Yes, PoE donations secured by your "alter-ego," assuming that is your main character, would be a large, unfair advantage. This means you have rich friends on Cobalt willing to help you buy the island rather than earn it through the governing plan itself.

While I respect your concerns, I hardly view my stated fundraising as an attempt to "buy the island." My plan's viability rests on the quality of the events I have outlined.

Funding these events is a small part of that plan. I assumed it was part of the feasability criteria. Thus it was only addressed in a single line near where I discussed required OM help.

Former Governor of Lima
[Apr 18, 2006 8:07:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sivius

While I respect your concerns, I hardly view my stated fundraising as an attempt to "buy the island." My plan's viability rests on the quality of the events I have outlined.

Funding these events is a small part of that plan. I assumed it was part of the feasability criteria. Thus it was only addressed in a single line near where I discussed required OM help.

You consider 500k and all the building materials you would need a "small" part? Potentially incorrect, this is a very large part, your advantage over most of the average people competing in the event with no more at their disposal than the standard governing tools and plans to be laid out during the governing term.

Remember mate, having riches and rich friends beforehand is nice, but it ruins the spirit of the event for others.

Siv,
Tartcount++
Sivius
Unretired, sort of.
[Apr 18, 2006 10:42:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XEcastasy

With concern to the topic being discussed above, I can see what both sides are getting at. But I have to agree with Sivius on the fact that 500k and other materials donated, is more than a small part. Because that is where all your prizes and materials to even *make* the event come from. I feel like the contest should be judged on how well the materials and limitations to each contestant is used to the best of it's ability. How can the underdog shine through with good ideas but the richer contestant comes with pockets overflowing from their own wealth and that of their friends?

Just food for thought :) Good luck to the contests who participated though! :)
Ecastasy of ... Cerulean

[Apr 18, 2006 10:57:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sivius

Agreed. And if possible, let's end this tartfest before we take it off the scales.
Sivius
Unretired, sort of.
[Apr 18, 2006 11:00:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

I am a strong advocate that these types of events need to done via email and entrants only email their final plan only as I have been reading the entries and noticed that a great deal of the entrants are simply reading the other proposals and paraphrasing their events to include in their own proposal.

The contest appeared to be hinged on feasibility and creativity and through this "idea rehashing" the creativity factor took a huge hit as some of the entrants spotted an event and paraphrased it to appear simpler (feasibility).

Some of the plans I thot were creative and others were just rehashing of the good ones and some required more detail.

Overall, I'd go with Soulja from a feasibility standpoint, I think he could pull it off =)
[Apr 19, 2006 5:08:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

\But I have to agree with Sivius on the fact that 500k and other materials donated, is more than a small part. Because that is where all your prizes and materials to even *make* the event come from.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with regards to materials donated. In fact, I specifically have an event to help me gather the building materials for the housing. In no way have I gathered or otherwise solicited donations for building materials.

My stated fundraising is only to show that I can support the poe prizes I promised. My minor semi-weekly tournaments, which are not a cornerstone of my plan and should not be a large factor in judging, will use up half of that poe.

I have already offered to remove that line from my entry, or the OMs judging can simply ignore it.

While I respect all of your opinions, I do think that fundraising is an important consideration for any event planner.

Former Governor of Lima
[Apr 19, 2006 10:16:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 119   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates