• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 50
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20996 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

[Event Blockade Islands] Thread no longer active

Event Blockade Islands!

No longer applicable:

Please see this thread for current process for event blockades

Got a brilliant idea for an Event Blockade but nowhere to host it? Want to practice your blockade navigation but haven't had the opportunity?

One or two Ringer-owned islands on each ocean will shortly be designated as Event Blockade Islands. These islands will be available for event blockades. We anticipate that the majority of these will be player-run events, but the Ringers may choose to throw an occasional blockade as well.

The Islands

* Ownership may transfer as a result of the blockade outcome, but if ownership transfers briefly, an OM will revert ownership as quickly as possible, and neither island, buildings or commodities must be touched in the meantime.
* The noticeboard will explain the status of the island.
* Shot and rum will be available for reasonable prices at the blockade islands.
* Fame cannot be circumvented. A war chest must be dropped by a flag of sufficient fame. Most of the Event Blockade Islands will be Outposts, in order to maximize the flags able to blockade them.
* The island will be held by an OM alt in a dedicated alt flag.
* The islands will all have the ability to host tournaments.

The Events

* Event Blockades can be simple affairs, or complex ones. If you want an Event Blockade for you and a fellow flag to practice blockade navigation, that's fine. If you want to run a big themed competition-packed blockade, that's also fine.
* Event Blockades can only be held in the normal blockade windows.
* Event Blockades should be planned to be three rounds only, no longer.
* Event Blockades will be initially limited to one event blockade per ocean in any weekend. This can be renegotiated if demand is much higher than expected.
* Event Blockades can be sinking or non-sinking by request. The island-owning flag will not return the declaration of war by default, but will do so if a sinking blockade is requested. If you want the declaration returned, you must give notice of the blockade by emailing events@puzzlepirates.com at least one week before your scheduled blockade.
* Alliances can be made with the island-owning flag if required for the event. If you want an alliance with the defending flag, you must give notice of the blockade by emailing events@puzzlepirates.com at least one week before your scheduled blockade.
* War chests must be dropped to start the blockade. On outpost islands, this is a non-refundable cost. On larger islands, we will refund all but 25k to you once the chest is dropped.
* Ships for normal blockade participation will not be provided. In exceptional circumstances, event ships may be provided, or event renames carried out for existing ships.
* Prizes. Event blockade hosts are encouraged to provide prizes themselves, but can also ask for support or additional prizes. As with any event, remember that we're more likely to provide additional prizes, renames, trinkets, etc, when the event hosts have made an effort to raise funds for prizes themselves.
* Any OM assistance required must be discussed and agreed in advance (see below).
* A calendar of planned Event Blockades will be maintained on YPPedia. Calendar is here.
* If you are planning an event blockade, you should check the calendar, and put your name down against your intended island and weekend.
* Do not drop a war chest on an event blockade island if you have not 'reserved' it already on the YPPedia calendar. If a blockade island is already reserved for a blockade event for that weekend, you must not drop a chest on the island, and any flag that does so will be keelhauled. Artemis says so.

The current Event Blockade Islands are:

Midnight: Eclipse (outpost) and maybe another (to be confirmed)
Cobalt: Typhoon (outpost)
Viridian: Typhoon (outpost)
Sage: Cromwell (outpost) and Halley (outpost)
Hunter: Accompong (outpost)

Blockade Island Events requiring no additional assistance
If you're happy to run and manage the event yourself with no additional assistance, then all you need to do is book your slot on the YPPedia timetable.

Blockade Island Events requiring additional OM assistance

Some blockades may require additional Oceanmaster assistance. If this is the case, then you need to send an email at least two weeks before your intended event, and preferably longer, to events@puzzlepirates.com with the following information included.

Account name
Ocean for the event
Pirate name on that ocean
Proposed date and time (if known) (Please check the calendar first)
Flag who will drop the chest
Sinking or non-sinking (non-sinking by default)
Summary of event
Expected participation
Extra rules
Judging (if applicable)
Prizes
OM assistance required

Please use only the events@puzzlepirates.com email for these events.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Apollo at Apr 18, 2009 10:20:27 AM]
[Mar 16, 2006 11:57:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Re: Event Blockade Islands

Midnight islands have variable blockade costs depending on population. Will this be taken into account when issuing refunds? (And if so, is it possible for the outpost event blockades to get refunded down to 25k as well?)
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Mar 16, 2006 12:22:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Midnight islands have variable blockade costs depending on population. Will this be taken into account when issuing refunds? (And if so, is it possible for the outpost event blockades to get refunded down to 25k as well?)

I was going to say a straight "yes", but let me check the values before I do that, then I'll edit the thread above.
[Mar 16, 2006 12:26:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Are OMs able to manipulate the blockade board? I'm thinking simple things like no obstacles for Dorel's figure skating event, or something as complex as wake the turtle or another kind of maze.
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Mar 16, 2006 12:47:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Looseweed

Pickney bandulu! Idea Teif!

:)

...wanders off to dust the fort at Meke...
[Mar 16, 2006 1:07:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RaelShark

Tartstorm regarding Jorvik aside, I think this is excellent news and should really benefit a lot of flags. Bravo.

Seriously though, why not Eps and Alpha?
Shark
Mascot of Ransack Marauders
[Mar 17, 2006 11:32:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.ransackmarauders.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Seriously though, why not Eps and Alpha?

That's a good idea. No more than an interarch away for everybody.

Better than Meke or Jorvik.

Dylan
[Mar 17, 2006 11:34:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Perhaps because to be able to blockade those islands, you have to have the fame to blockade large islands. This way, smaller flags with lower fame can still do a blockade event.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 17, 2006 12:28:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Also the blockade could disrupt trade and regular pillages for people who didn't happen to know it was coming. Although, this is also a problem with Jorvik...
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Mar 17, 2006 12:32:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Perhaps because to be able to blockade those islands, you have to have the fame to blockade large islands. This way, smaller flags with lower fame can still do a blockade event.

If they can set a switch that says an island is blockadable/winnable or not, I'm sure they can set one to allow any (renowened?) flag to be allowed to drop.

And if blockade "events" are non-sinking, as they should be, then the worst case is that somebody enters and either needs to negotiate the battle, or turn about, and in the worst case sinks and is re-ported at last island.

Dylan
[Mar 17, 2006 12:41:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

Based on event planning guidelines, I'd guess bypassing the fame requirements is actually quite a lot more difficult than swetting a switch.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Mar 17, 2006 1:45:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I'd suspect because Eclipse is relatively out-of-the-way and having a blockade there won't be as economically disruptive as one on a major island like Eps or Alpha. (Plus it's easier to limit those on the boards to participants; how many superflous boats are around blockade boards, not contesting flags, not contesting the island, just sitting around and shooting at things?) Jorvik is also a bit out-of-the-way, plus most upper-level players (who generally have the resouces and contacts to seriously contest event blockades) have boats in Ruby.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 17, 2006 3:20:51 PM]
[Mar 17, 2006 3:20:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

If Jorvik is out, and Alpha and Epsilon are too "central", then how about a large but currently uninhabited island (which would then need a market placed on it o course) such as......

Uxmal
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Mar 17, 2006 4:02:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaibaman2004

WHEN an event blockade is started, can players job for the OceanMaster's Flag?

(i.e. Jorvik -- Death's Banner; can we job for Hades if Jorvik becomes Event Blockaded?)

If so, I'M in!.. Poe or not, I'll job for Deaths Banner or the OceanMaster's Flag of that Island XD

If not, Good Luck to all and I may show up in an event blockade.

~!Hidendra!~
Midnight: Hidendra
[Mar 17, 2006 5:02:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidendra_7    Hidendra [Link]  Go to top 
sivius

WHEN an event blockade is started, can players job for the OceanMaster's Flag?

(i.e. Jorvik -- Death's Banner; can we job for Hades if Jorvik becomes Event Blockaded?)

If so, I'M in!.. Poe or not, I'll job for Deaths Banner or the OceanMaster's Flag of that Island XD

If not, Good Luck to all and I may show up in an event blockade.

~!Hidendra!~

Jorvik will be reopened as a normal blockadable island next weekend, I believe. (Or sometime..)
Sivius
Unretired, sort of.
[Mar 17, 2006 5:48:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

If Jorvik is taken next week, then it becomes a normal island. If no contender manages to win 3 rounds, it remains as an event island.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
[Mar 17, 2006 7:12:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

If Jorvik is out, and Alpha and Epsilon are too "central", then how about a large but currently uninhabited island (which would then need a market placed on it o course) such as......

Uxmal
Maybe they intend to put Uxmal on the market in the future?
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 17, 2006 8:25:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brontes

While preparing for Jorvik XII I had an event idea - Blockade Now!

Picture the scene: You have returned from a relaxing summer holiday. You log into YPP still buzzing from the holiday but a bit tired from the flight. "Ahoy!" you announce on crew chat.
"Ahoy!", replies your captain, "I'm glad you're here - we are being blockaded".
"When?", you ask.
"Right now!"
"Has the Minister of War mobilised the fleet?"
"She's on holiday"
"What about the Royals?"
"Out of town, broken internet, busted PC... none of them can be here"
"It's just you and me, then. Let's get to work!"
"Er... just you actually - I'm off to a wedding. Good luck!", and with that she vanishes.

My idea is to have a blockade in which people are randomly assigned teams half an hour (or less) before the round goes live. OMs have provided ships and stock, but none of it is in the right place. Your team has to get its barnacle together and put ships in the water to win the blockade. It's like those team-building exercises, but for pirates.
Brontes
Former Governor of Jorvik
One-eyed Iron Monger

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Brontes at Mar 18, 2006 8:27:56 AM]
[Mar 18, 2006 6:36:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jondigger20

I love it.

I'd like to see a bit more to it than that, maybe a few twists to see how they react as a team.
Johndigger

Fleet Officer of The British Eagles

All round barrelstopper.
[Mar 19, 2006 4:45:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crazee_colin

Any idea of when the calender will be ready in the YPPedia?
~ Crazee
[Mar 21, 2006 4:44:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Good point. I'll try to get a link to you soon!
[Mar 21, 2006 6:27:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Brontes

Jondigger20 wrote: 
I love it.

I'd like to see a bit more to it than that, maybe a few twists to see how they react as a team.

Maybe a variety of win conditions to make the teams work to something other than the standard blockade plan? First to 50 points (rewards speed); Get 100 points ahead (rewards dominance); Hold 10 points of flags at once.
Brontes
Former Governor of Jorvik
One-eyed Iron Monger

[Mar 22, 2006 12:03:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jondigger20

Instead of different objectives, I was thinking "problems"...

Maybe an OM could come on a boat and plank the navigator :P
Johndigger

Fleet Officer of The British Eagles

All round barrelstopper.
[Mar 22, 2006 3:57:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Instead of different objectives, I was thinking "problems"...

Maybe an OM could come on a boat and plank the navigator :P

Hehe. :)
[Mar 22, 2006 7:13:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
KonfuZer

Wow! I love this idea. I was actually formulating a post for the Game design threads requesting the blockadability of uninhabited islands for recreational use.

Perhaps there would be an option to have no buoys (sp?)? This would alleviate the risk of the island changing ownership. Unless an event needs a point system, there's no need for them--just lots of ships out to blast each other! :D

This would get kind of complicated, but it would be nice for the event organizer to have the option to specify which types of ships may enter. Sloop-only slugfests are a blast, but taking in big ships is also fun.
~ Reepacheep
:: Found on the Meridian Ocean
:: Sail with me
[Mar 23, 2006 7:49:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Dylan wrote: 
If they can set a switch that says an island is blockadable/winnable or not, I'm sure they can set one to allow any (renowened?) flag to be allowed to drop.

I'm going to guess that these islands are tied into the current blockade system with everything else (ie, they will function exactly like normal blockades) and adjusting the fame levels for the event islands will also adjust the fame levels for all others. I'm pretty sure there was more than the reason given for preventing drops on other islands during the Epsilon event blockade so many months ago (like the fact that the 1 PoE war chest would have been extended to all islands if they'd had been open at the time).
[Mar 24, 2006 7:12:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Actually what we're probably going to do is to drop the required fame on outposts (minus Sage) by a level to make things easier on event blockading, obviously this'll affect all outposts, but I don't really forsee any major problems with that.
[Mar 24, 2006 10:04:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Actually what we're probably going to do is to drop the required fame on outposts (minus Sage) by a level to make things easier on event blockading, obviously this'll affect all outposts, but I don't really forsee any major problems with that.

That seems very reasonable.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 24, 2006 11:54:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Eclipse is unblockadable at this point (the notice board says it can't be blockaded, without any details on what it would cost). Is this because of Jorvik this weekend?
[Mar 25, 2006 1:57:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Eclipse is unblockadable at this point (the notice board says it can't be blockaded, without any details on what it would cost). Is this because of Jorvik this weekend?

Not at all. It's because:

Apollo wrote: 
One or two Ringer-owned islands on each ocean will shortly be designated as Event Blockade Islands.

And we haven't reached the end of the "shortly" period yet. :) Assuming we get things set up, it could be as early as next weekend.
[Mar 25, 2006 3:59:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates