• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 46
Posts: 46   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6680 times and has 45 replies Next Thread
AlphaMale

Pirate chat filter? Reply to this Post

I think we can all agree that chatting in Pirate Speak increases the overall overall player emersion in the game and gives it a great Piratey feel, by crikey.

So I propose the devs look into implementing some basic chat filters.
    For example:
  • ]You : Ye
  • ]Yes : Aye
  • ]No : Nay
  • ]Damn : Arr
  • ]Yay: Yar[/list:u:71344f0a9a]...And I am sure there are many more possibilities. Feel free to add your own if you have any ideas.

So devs, can we possibly see the implementation of these filters? While some may tout that they use this chat style already, who's to say that future Pirates will without this assistance?
[Jun 30, 2003 11:18:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Re: Pirate chat filter? Reply to this Post

While this does seem like a great idea, it also seems as though it'd be a bit low on the ol' priority list. Feel free to prove me wrong and make me look like an idiot, Ringers!

Edit -- Wow, wrong in totally the wrong way. I stand corrected, and look like an idiot. I think that's a new record.
----------------------------------------
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gotagota at Jun 30, 2003 11:28:33 AM]
[Jun 30, 2003 11:28:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

Well, considering I use two different 'non-piratey suites' of speech while playing my characters (one uses psuedo-Spanish phrases, the other a mixture of Naval officer and Australian), I do not like this idea. While I think players are completely welcome to speak 'Pirate' if they want to, it certainly should not be enforced.
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[Jun 30, 2003 12:06:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AlphaMale

Teirlap, I hate to sound frank but I doubt anyone can recognize the origins of your dialects. I think you're still more than welcome to keep them up to keep them cheeks full. ;)
[Jun 30, 2003 12:15:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Garr Reply to this Post

I would hate to enforce a particular style of piratey speech upon ye all, I like the fluid transition between Piratey and OOC.
[Jun 30, 2003 12:18:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Against Reply to this Post

Some of the more piratey characters are almost incomprehensible as it is... ;-)

And especially if you are having a private chat with someone, I think it would be inappropriate to enforce "pirate-speak". Free speech for all!
[Jun 30, 2003 12:20:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vixen

Although i have been known to have the odd piratey conversation myself, i'd never like this enforced.

One of my worst nightmares would be having a conversation with Whitebeard (no offence Whitey, yee know i tink yee rock), who has been found his 2 long lost brothers.

Whitebeard says "Ahoy Lass, ye wid ni hay apened to hay seen dis ald seadugs wulkin stick"

Vixen says "whitey is 8 am and i eating breakfast, speak english till after i finished coffee please.
Vixen - Captain of The Black Widows.
[Jun 30, 2003 6:00:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilLumTao

Not to derail the current topic, but instead of a pirate filter, I?d much rather see a client-side "l33t" filter. Maybe its just me, but dude speak drives me nuts.

For example, I might want to translate these commonly abused terms:

u = you (or ye)
r = are
dude = mate
llama/114m4 = scurvy dog
etc.

This way I can communicate with "dudes" and never know it. Heck, if it was a general client filter, then even the l33t guys can convert my words to whatever they want to see.

- Sil
[Jul 1, 2003 5:41:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Vixen, that is a great approximation of Whitebeard. I laughed out loud (lol) when I saw it. He's an entertaining challenge to comprehend, and I can honestly say that nobody talks like he does.
[Jul 1, 2003 5:54:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Mamba

Mamba Laughs

great one Vixen
yeash i wouldnt be to happy witha filter like this, maybe a cussing filter but not this.
Sir Mamba Of the Dastardly Dragons
Staff @ www.indyjones.net
One stop place for Indianna Jones Games
[Jul 1, 2003 6:14:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
threepwood

the "lol" and smilie filters are awesome
[Jul 1, 2003 7:24:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I like :
brb = Be Right Back
lol= Laughs

and the others, and I think more like that would be great.
I don't like the Idea of you being ye and so on.

Some thoghts:

g2g or gtg = Gota go!
ty = Thank Ye
yw = Ye be Welcome

this could go on forever.... I like it the way it is.
[Jul 1, 2003 11:33:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
SilLumTao

I guess my point was really that any filter, if implemented, should be client side configurable. The server would send you the text as typed but it would be up to you (the client) to determine how it would be displayed.

If you don't want it, don't use it.

However, if you don't want to see certain real-world idioms, you can define your own "translation" be it pirate speak, l33t speek, or something else. This should satisfy both camps and eliminate the need to do any extra processing on the server.

For example, each client installation has a translation file that allows you to map a real world phrase to something more piratey (?), e.g.

hi=ahoy
brb=I be droppin anchor
wtf=shiver me timbers
newbie=landlubber
etc.

Again, these are just examples. As long as this is done by the client application, no one should feel like their voice is being distorted (i.e. you can't see how another client would render your words).

This would dove tail into any kind of cuss filter that might be added as well. By default, let the client convert inappropriate words with "Arg!" or "Gar!" or "@#$@#!". As an adult, I should be able to turn this on or off.

- Sil
[Jul 1, 2003 12:32:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

I do love the idea of being able to have filters for those whose speech isn't quite up to what I'd like. Having defaults to edit out certain types (or not) would be awesome. As for swearing, I definitely think they should all be edited to Avast, Wallops, Lubber, etc... it's definitely not something I need to see in the game and neither do the kids who play.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Jul 2, 2003 1:46:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
manaweb

Aye swearin must go Reply to this Post

Just this mornin I was jobbing and not only did I have to ask for the crew I was jobbin with to stop they threw more swearin back.

Akmed Xel Batoncus

Ye should wake up to yourselves and I hope the Dev's apply some sort of penalty to ye instead of just changing the text to a filtered substitute.

I would hope this game when it goes to Beta or finally released people like you don't ruin it for the other players.

Remember you are testin the game and it is not a right to stay onboard with the testin.

Barrenmore
Rudder Lubbers
My mana is srinking.
[Jul 5, 2003 10:42:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

/complain Reply to this Post

Remember if you use /complain, it sends a message to the devs about people's behaviour. Maybe one of the devs can confirm whether this also sends a log like /bug does, so that you can just put the name & the evidence is submitted? Or if it doesn't we should cut & paste from the chat log?
[Jul 5, 2003 11:35:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Complaints Reply to this Post

I can confirm that /complain sends a log of the recent chat history to the server. A number of people have been banned already for using it, but as previously indicated, the bad language of a crew on their own ship is not presently an offence. We don't encourage it, but the obvious retort is just 'don't job with foul-mouthed sailors'. People are not to swear on navy ships or in public spaces.
[Jul 5, 2003 11:42:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Thanks for clarifying that Cleaver!
[Jul 5, 2003 11:57:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Akmed

Re: Aye swearin must go Reply to this Post

manaweb wrote: 
Just this mornin I was jobbing and not only did I have to ask for the crew I was jobbin with to stop they threw more swearin back.

Akmed Xel Batoncus

Ye should wake up to yourselves and I hope the Dev's apply some sort of penalty to ye instead of just changing the text to a filtered substitute.

I would hope this game when it goes to Beta or finally released people like you don't ruin it for the other players.

Remember you are testin the game and it is not a right to stay onboard with the testin.

Barrenmore
Rudder Lubbers

I don't care if you don't like what we say but if you don't agree with the way we talk, get off my ship. Don't hang around the ship for 10 more minutes, taking a space that could be used by our crewmate. If you don't approve, remove yourself from the situation where the language would be used.

Also, what's with everyone's big deal with language. I can understand some of the harsher words but some of the words are just stupid and can be seen on television. I mean, really. We're supposed to be Pirates.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    krackerboyz [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Akmed wrote: 
Also, what's with everyone's big deal with language. I can understand some of the harsher words but some of the words are just stupid and can be seen on television. I mean, really. We're supposed to be Pirates.

Then act like a Pirate! If I want to hear l33t language I'll watch some TV, if I want to be a Pirate I'll play a Pirate game. That doesn't mean you HAVE to roleplay a pirate.
I remember you got planked from the Ringers War Brig for using the MF word Akmed.
And I remember a whole lot of talking about being gangstas and getting wifebeaters and what not in my shop the other day, didn't have a plank option there but atleast I could take myself elsewhere, which is not the way it's supposed to be.
But when you're in a crowd when everone is fine with it, no problem with me. It's not like I don't ever swear, but I don't do it infront of my kid or other inappropiate situations.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jul 5, 2003 6:08:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jfjnpxmy

manaweb wrote: 
Batoncus

That's "Batonicus", matey.
[Jul 5, 2003 9:05:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jfjnpxmy [Link]  Go to top 
Akmed

Rengor wrote: 
Akmed wrote: 

Then act like a Pirate! If I want to hear l33t language I'll watch some TV, if I want to be a Pirate I'll play a Pirate game. That doesn't mean you HAVE to roleplay a pirate.
I remember you got planked from the Ringers War Brig for using the MF word Akmed.
And I remember a whole lot of talking about being gangstas and getting wifebeaters and what not in my shop the other day, didn't have a plank option there but atleast I could take myself elsewhere, which is not the way it's supposed to be.
But when you're in a crowd when everone is fine with it, no problem with me. It's not like I don't ever swear, but I don't do it infront of my kid or other inappropiate situations.

I understand swearing in public and the message I was kicked off for was supposed to be sent to my crew and I understand why I was kicked off. The conversations in the shop were centering around clothing. We wanted to co-ordinate colors and this would probably require a total overhaul which would give you more money, so I wouldn't be pissed about that.
[Jul 6, 2003 1:30:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    krackerboyz [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

I noticed some other post about "East Compton Liquor" and the chicken shack, Akmed. Honestly, bucko: that's about as creative as the whole Salty Mouthfuls "gay crew" thing and all the crap that came with it. If you want to be gangstas, this isn't the game for you.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jul 7, 2003 1:22:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Cleaver had to be there to type the names of the shoppes in. I personally think the devs should take a bit stronger stand on jest what audience this game be fer, but that is jest me. I don't think an obscure statement covers it properly.

We have a strong no-swearing policy in Rudder Revolution. Children should be safe sailing with us. However, I totally support the Mouthfuls doing their thang if the devs intend fer that particular type of thang to exist in this game.

They Mouthfuls obviously enjoy the attention, so I don't feel too sorry for them. However, I have had me own issues in the past with people on here freely sharing their scorn. It is the place of the devs to allow or disallow what the players do. Yers is to /complain or not to /compain if ye ask me. Otherwise, ye are going to have a full time job when this thing goes public.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Penndalla at Jul 7, 2003 1:41:56 AM]
[Jul 7, 2003 1:41:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

Meh, I could care less about the specifics of what one pirate says to another, but I'd rather not be called a fag because my jobbing abilities aren't "up to snuff". They can call their shoppes/characters/crews whatever the hell they want, but I'm sure that if they keep acting like idiots they will be weeded out from the grander scheme of things by players who don't feel like playing along. Crew sovereignty doesn't automatically make you clever or immune from common decency. I have bigger problems with them than what they name their buildings.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jul 7, 2003 2:50:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Color me crazy, but isn't it nice to have a crew/flag where you can go to be a jerk? I mean, if I'm havin' an incredibly bad day, and all I want to do is curse off me shipmates no matter how well they do...well, I'm gonna job with the Mouthfuls instead of subjecting my poor, innocent Academy trainees to my abusive vitriol.

Strangely enough, this is something that the Mouthfuls are quite familiar with. They likely just don't realize that not every place on the net is set up like SA. Here, though...they play the same role as FYAD* does there. I think this is an important role in our developing society and should merely be mocked instead of scorned outright. We're all better for it.

As an aside, if the East Compton Liquor Store doesn't have the lowest prices around, someone's not doin' thier job right! Us po'folk needs tha booze too!

*- [size=9]Not that I...uh...ever go...in there. uh, yeah.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 7, 2003 3:20:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

[size=12]Good point, Fron, and well said.*

[size=9]*You poo-and-red-colored-dressin' footnote-abusin' F***ing P**** !#$%(*&^@Q#^ fop.

[size=9]Sorry... I guess too much soy sauce on my sushi gives me a salty mouthful :)
Madam, proud Looterata
[Jul 7, 2003 4:30:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Akmed

East Compton Liquor Company is currently expanding operations to East East Compton, East North West Compton, and East Malibu. Check us out.
[Jul 7, 2003 5:09:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    krackerboyz [Link]  Go to top 
threepwood

Akmed wrote: 
East Compton Liquor Company is currently expanding operations to East East Compton, East North West Compton, and East Malibu. Check us out.

The correct response to this is "Holla."
[Jul 7, 2003 6:02:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Akmed

threepwood wrote: 
Akmed wrote: 

The correct response to this is "Holla."

Holla at ya.

X gonna give it to ya.
[Jul 7, 2003 7:58:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    krackerboyz [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 46   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates