• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 89
Posts: 89   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18253 times and has 88 replies Next Thread
Synful

Re: [Contest] Eggs ahoy! -- Design Easter Eggs to be added to the game. Deadline 3/22

how exacly do u transfere a pic onto a message?

First, upload it to www.imageshack.us then copy the url of your pic and go to the entry thread, make a new post(or edit your old one), and click the Image button above where you type. That will prompt a box for the url where your pic is. Be sure to preview to make sure it works right.
----------------------------------------
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 10, 2006 2:36:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

Re: [Contest] Eggs ahoy! -- Design Easter Eggs to be added to the game. Deadline 3/22

Another good free image hosting site is photobucket.com. I prefer it over imageshack.
Cristo-Viridian and occasionally the rest.
[Mar 10, 2006 6:14:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
angel00

Don't forget imgspot.com

I find this to be the easiest... no registration required
~Angellic of Cobalt~
[Mar 10, 2006 7:32:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

My new favorite.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Mar 10, 2006 1:55:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Teeg, would ye mind creating the egg that would result from my pattern?

I think the warping shouldn't matter, since it's a somewhat irregular and bloby pattern, but just in case...
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Mar 10, 2006 6:20:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

To keep the tarting in one thread, re: this post responding to this one... it looks "heaps good" because he stole it from the main page.

Am I the only one disgusted any more about the shameless stealing of other people's images for entry into contests? Has this world fallen that far, or am I imagining it?
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Mar 11, 2006 5:11:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

To keep the tarting in one thread, re: this post responding to this one... it looks "heaps good" because he stole it from the main page.

Am I the only one disgusted any more about the shameless stealing of other people's images for entry into contests? Has this world fallen that far, or am I imagining it?
No, I think you're quite justified.

What makes it even worse is that he's stealing OOO's art and entering it in their own contest... isn't that a bit like robbing a pawnshop then trying to sell back the stuff you stole?

And to everyone who's PMed me with an egg request... sorry about the delay, just been waiting for them to stack up because my computer cries when I load 3DS... I'll be handling them right this second :)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 11, 2006 5:19:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rkanecao

So basically I use their artwork for it and it will be in their game, and there is a problem with this? If OOO has a problem with it then I will pull my entry. I don't mind. I just think it's kinda ridiculous. There was no mention that it had to be original artwork, and as far as that goes if I was to draw something for PP by hand I would use there artwork as an example to make mine fit the game as much as possible. I thought it was quite wonderful that I was able to find a pirate that fit so perfectly into my design. Everything but the pirate is my own work. Right down to the texture of the wood. If you wish to bring this to OOO and have them tell me to pull my entry, that is your perogative. And I will be happy to oblige them as I am very greatful they are providing this game to us on the Sage ocean for free.
Belerofone of Sage.
Sweetheart of Ceegee.
Loyal to Master and Commander.
Warrior of the Flag "The Other Side of Sage".
[Mar 11, 2006 6:43:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

The main problem about your entry is that the pirate will be wayyy out of proportion once its wrapped on an egg. Look closely at Pro's wrap design, then look closer at the egg.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 11, 2006 7:07:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rkanecao

Yeah I noticed there was a problem with that. I can easily fix that with photoshop. Just take a few minutes to remember what tools to use. Hopefully they won't discard my entry.
You should see it change when I upload the fix. Wish I had 3DS to test it. I think a simple pinch will do though.
Belerofone of Sage.
Sweetheart of Ceegee.
Loyal to Master and Commander.
Warrior of the Flag "The Other Side of Sage".
[Edit 1 times, last edit by rkanecao at Mar 11, 2006 7:24:33 PM]
[Mar 11, 2006 7:20:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

If everything else is yours, why not draw your own pirate? You could even make it look like yourself so that you have a chance to be immortalized in digital eggshell.
[Mar 11, 2006 7:39:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Gaille

Pro wrote: 
You can design whatever your mind can come up with but the image needs to "wrap" as in the template. What that means is if put side by side the edges would flow seamlessly into each other.

I'm seeing quite a few that don't conform to this. Is it required that the edges don't show in order to be considered?
Gail on the Sage Ocean
My vanity page.
[Mar 12, 2006 9:16:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prometheus
OceanMaster

Pro wrote: 
You can design whatever your mind can come up with but the image needs to "wrap" as in the template. What that means is if put side by side the edges would flow seamlessly into each other.

I'm seeing quite a few that don't conform to this. Is it required that the edges don't show in order to be considered?

It is a requirement, yes.
[Mar 14, 2006 10:02:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
thespian

The issue is that the textures are in his /my documents/ folder, and since he uses XP, the directories it looks in (and reports back as "Hey, have you seen this texture lately, man?") reveal his name and some of his past consulting work... so it's a matter of privacy as well.

Plus it spits out what looks like errors but actually don't affect you provided you only want to play around with the egg, which might put some people who aren't used to 3DS off.

Anyway, tutorial is up for anyone who needs a quick primer.

Question for you;

I open the file, and see the egg.

I click on the material editor.

And it pulls up like this:

I can select the image I want to test just fine in all the other steps of your tutorial, but without the basics here, with there's no guide for it to select, the result is no rendered image. Do you know why this is coming up blank? I just installed the software, and have changed nothing.

Thanks,

Thes.

Thespian says, "you have a doll, you selfish meanie. I just have a vulva."
Peeteegee says, "Hey, I picked out the colours for your vulva."
Nemesis says, "I'm...leaving now."

[Mar 14, 2006 11:22:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Well, I don't have 3DSMax, but I do have other programs that have filters and fills that use textures. Said textures have to be in specific directories which can be specified in the options menu. My guess is that "cratetex" is a subfolder of 3DSMax.
[Mar 14, 2006 11:29:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
thespian

Well, I don't have 3DSMax, but I do have other programs that have filters and fills that use textures. Said textures have to be in specific directories which can be specified in the options menu. My guess is that "cratetex" is a subfolder of 3DSMax.

yes, I figured it was something like that, but that doesn't actually tell me what to do to fix it, or where it should be, or anything; it's offering me the option 'cratetex' just as the tutorial shows it should be, but there's nothing there; and I'm going to assume it *should* be there because PTG doesn't say anything about it otherwise; there's an implication that it'll be there as he shows it.

What is there (and is in the Material/Map Browser) is a LOT of empty textures, and since I don't have any idea where they should be or where to find 'em, I was asking.

Thes.

[Mar 14, 2006 11:54:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kerix

Woah, Rhodin, I just noticed your avatar says "well-tammed pirates" .... were you aware of this?
[Mar 15, 2006 12:21:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thespian

Woah, Rhodin, I just noticed your avatar says "well-tammed pirates" .... were you aware of this?

since the pirate is wearing a tam, I'd assume so.

I thought it was adorable ;-)

Thes.

[Mar 15, 2006 1:10:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kerix

oh... am I an idiot? What's a tam?
[Mar 15, 2006 1:26:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Kerix:

A Tam is a hat:

This is also the official headgear of the Brigand King's swabs. I would like that hat to be available to non-bots as well, so I made the avatar as though photoshopped screenies ever swayed a dev. The "Well-Tammed " part is a pun.

Thes:
Aw. I was hoping you could go into options and find out what the texture folder is. I know it's a free trial, but they didn't give you one texture? Sheesh. Does this help?
[Mar 15, 2006 3:24:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Thespian wrote: 
I open the file, and see the egg.

I click on the material editor.

And it pulls up like this:

I can select the image I want to test just fine in all the other steps of your tutorial, but without the basics here, with there's no guide for it to select, the result is no rendered image. Do you know why this is coming up blank? I just installed the software, and have changed nothing.

I ran into the same problem and realized what the deal was after a few mystified tries. You need a renderer plugin, specifically the Illustrate! one. Luckily there is a 30 day free trial for it matching the free trial for 3DS Max. Uhm it's at http://www.davidgould.com/Illustrate/Products.htm Just ignore the price column and download it in the download column. It'll want to find 3DS Max in the wrong directory so browse to the Autodesk dir with it in there. Once I installed that, I ran 3DS again and the picture looked like PTG's tutorial. Viola!

- Guppy

Edits: i kan spel.
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Edit 2 times, last edit by lorkiria at Mar 15, 2006 6:44:02 AM]
[Mar 15, 2006 6:42:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Whats the link to the free trial of 3DS max? Harr I'd like to see if I like that program before buying it.

Synful
Who would like to be able to voilà also.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 15, 2006 7:43:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Whats the link to the free trial of 3DS max? Harr I'd like to see if I like that program before buying it.

Synful

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=5659302&siteID=123112 There's a link on the right in the little boxes that says 30 day trial. Which is good since I'm not likely to spend 3.5k on Autodesk software just to play with it!

And just to link it from this thread, I've rendered the eggs submitted so far (well the ones that the artists didn't render in their entries) at http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=33215

- Guppy
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lorkiria at Mar 15, 2006 10:00:22 AM]
[Mar 15, 2006 9:59:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thespian

Guppy wrote: 
I ran into the same problem and realized what the deal was after a few mystified tries. You need a renderer plugin, specifically the Illustrate! one. Luckily there is a 30 day free trial for it matching the free trial for 3DS Max. Uhm it's at http://www.davidgould.com/Illustrate/Products.htm Just ignore the price column and download it in the download column. It'll want to find 3DS Max in the wrong directory so browse to the Autodesk dir with it in there. Once I installed that, I ran 3DS again and the picture looked like PTG's tutorial. Viola!

Thanks ever so much. That worked perfectly.

Synful wrote: 

3ds Trial registration

Register with them and they'll send you a link to a download page.

Thes.

[Mar 15, 2006 10:01:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

Synful

3DS Max is an expensive program. I had the 'educational' copy for school and it was $300.00, that was just for a year permission to use the full version. Back in 2004, it was over $3100.00 USD for a full copy.

EDIT: Haha, I just checked, a full version of 3DS Max is $3495.00 USD. Wow...

EDIT 2: Added .00 to the costs, just as to keep those easily confused from being as confused. ;)
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Dragonlilly at Mar 15, 2006 1:25:58 PM]
[Mar 15, 2006 1:21:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan_Holser

I would like to enter, but the images will not work when I post them in anything, I have not entered yet and won't until I know how to post images. This is a copy of what I typed in the technical diffuculty like place: I am pretty sure you type in the full address: (to long to say) however it dosen't seem to work and (Egg12.png) does not work which is more understandable, I am not a greenie in the game, but I am new in the forum, is it just my browser, or is it the forum that just shows the red x, I want to post my egg designs in the eggs ahoy contest, I have 14 of them and they look kind of silly, I probably won't win, but I would like to enter for fun, I have brown eggs, white eggs, black eggs, eggs with barrels on them, eggs with barrels full of explosives, and eggs with lightning on them, but I don't know how to get the image things to work, it doesn't show up in the preview or in the posts.
[Mar 18, 2006 6:04:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan_Holser

nevermind, some people have already responded
[Mar 18, 2006 6:06:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan_Holser

[quote]
Is that too detailed?quote]
I wouldn't think so, it is pretty good, mine however have small details and probably won't show up very well
for example:

and
and also my 3d animam8er (as the program is called) will not the type of file that the egg model is in, so I can not tell if they would be too small or not, and I am pretty sure that it cannot put things like that on it. And I wouldn't like to install something new on my computer or anything, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things turn out. I have an idea, when a person picks up an easter egg the person who found it can look at it and see a much larger picture of it, there was a person who took the egg example, and enlarged it to so the details, that would be interesting, to have a larger picture of it so small details show up better. I only hadthe standard paint program to do this, my 3d modeling program will not accept the egg shape (.max I believe), and I just did this for fun, I know I wouldn't win or anything, and I didn't comprehend that the eggs might be so small.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Dylan_Holser at Mar 21, 2006 7:47:39 PM]
[Mar 18, 2006 7:16:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Petcraz13

Can we copy that desighn but morph it a litle?like change colors and change around the deisgns?or would that be stealing?
Hannah:Nice hoodie.
Jeremy: Thanks.I accidentally set my other one on fire.
Hannah: What??!! Are you trying to be Criss Angel now?!?
Jeremy:....Maybe
[Mar 19, 2006 3:43:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Grayfaerie30541@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Can we copy that desighn but morph it a litle?like change colors and change around the deisgns?or would that be stealing?
Suppose that you have two entries that are of equal beauty, but only one spot in the game.

One entry is wholly original and represents much more work on the part of the artist.

The other is just a recolouration of the example.

Which one goes into the game?
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 20, 2006 11:35:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 89   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates