• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 30
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 32878 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
Jack
Developer

New strike patterns and handling Reply to this Post

Ahoy mateys,

As I alluded to in the release notes, this here forum post be explainin' the way the new sword strike patterns work. I know some of ye might think that these mysteries be better left unspoke, but we know the new method will be reverse engineered before the new year is upon us and figgered we might as well beat ye to the chase.

What was a haphazard and not very well planned system before is now much easier to explain and more sensible in our opinion.

Let us now consider each of three different strike types separately:

Vertical strikes
As the strike patterns are the entire width of the board, the vertical strikes select pieces from the strke pattern based on their horizontal positioning when they enter the board. Thus, if a vertical strike comes in on the right hand side, it will use the right hand side of the strike pattern. If it comes in down the middle it uses the pieces from the middle and so forth.

The bottom of the sword now always obtains pieces from the bottom of the strike pattern and as ye go up the sword row by row, we go up the strike pattern. The first tricky bit is that when we get to the top of the strike pattern, we don't always start back at the bottom. Instead only the top four rows of the strike pattern are repeated. Some swords only have a four row tall strike pattern, in which case they repeat the entire pattern, but others (the long sword for example) have a pattern that is six pieces tall, and only the top four rows repeat.

Horizontal strikes
Horizontal strikes are now much more interesting. Instead of selecting pieces from the strike pattern in its natural orientation, they rotate the pattern 90 degrees to line up with the strike. A "from the left" strike rotates the pattern clockwise 90 degrees and a "from the right" strike rotates the pattern counter-clockwise 90 degrees.

There are two other important differences with horizontal strikes. Since they don't have a "natural" position in the strike pattern, the "from the left" strikes always select from the left side of the pattern and the "from the right" strikes always select from the right side of the pattern.

The second difference is that they select pieces "backwards," meaning that the back of the sword lines up with the bottom of the strike pattern and the tip points upward. Thus if you (by getting a double, triple, bingo or higher) create a very long horizontal strike, the part of it that sticks into the board will come from the repeated top four rows of the strike pattern which are in general more complex than the bottom two rows. This, along with the 90 degree rotation, helps to make horizontal strikes a more formidable strategy and makes up for the fact that a big horizontal strike can only ever be six pieces "long" because of the width of the board.

Sprinkles
Lastly, the sprinkles have changed as well. Like vertical strikes, sprinkles select from the column in the strike pattern that lines up with the column in which they fall. However, they now select only from the bottom two rows of the strike pattern, repeating those two rows if you manage to send stacks of sprinkles three or more rows high.

This allows us to differentiate between swords that are good for sending sprinkles and those that are good for sending strikes and some that are a nice balance of both.

Updated patterns
As a result of the new algorithm for processing strikes and sprinkles, we made some adjustments to some of the sword patterns to take advantage of these new differentiations and to balance things a bit better given the change in impact that the new handling brought to the existing patterns.

Visual aids
Here are some visualizations of the new strike patterns in action. First, here is a key to the shape of the swords in the subsequent two images (sorry for the mixed up terminology, but the "from the left" swords are called "o=Right" in these images and the "from the right" swords are called "o=Left", I just figured that "from the left" would be clearer in the text above than calling such a sword a "right oriented" sword):

Now here is the fencing sword, a strike pattern that is only four tall. Note that the vertical strikes are all shown as being on the left side of the board, but depending on where they fell in the board, they would select from the appropriate columns in the strike pattern.

And here is the long sword which should help you to see how only the top four rows in the strike pattern repeat for very long swords.

That's about the size of it mateys. We hope you enjoy the interesting new dimensions lent to the sword fighting puzzle by these changes and you can be sure that we'll continue to adjust and balance things until the dedicated sword fighting crews are not all weilding the same exact sword.

Arr!
[Dec 22, 2003 4:00:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
tommy

Re: New strike patterns and handling Reply to this Post

Possibly the greatest post from a dev, _ever_.

Much thanks for taking the time.

-Greenwolf
[Dec 22, 2003 4:15:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ultima7

Just want a bit of clarification on horizontal swords. Does the new system get rid of the large horizonal swords being changed to vertical swords?

Also, you didn't show taller than 2x8 verticals. What happens if you vegas a 2x2 block? Do you get a 2x10 or does is convert into a 3 wide sword? It would be interesting to know if you have made the full screen height 2 wide swords impossible to get.
----------------------------------------
Argyle
[Dec 22, 2003 4:23:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
triskaideka

Very glad to have this information; thanks, Jack.

I think I like the 7x3 horizontal swords depicted above better than the 8x3s. But what kind of combo could result in a 7x3 horizontal sword?
[Dec 22, 2003 4:48:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Cool beans. Wow, Jack. Love the visual aids, too.

This, combined with Tedv's post, make for an excellent primer for swordfighting.

Deebie, you gotta put this in your FAQ. This makes so much sense now.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Dec 22, 2003 7:16:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CursedBurger

Aww, mannnn... horizontal swords don't take from horizontal pattern, AND only top 4 rows repeat? You didn't touch it's pattern, but you did nerf the saber :P. Guess it'll act as my ornamental pretty sword (for the cost of a ton of minerals). Now quick, I must beat the rush to getting a skull dagger :P
Are there any pirates on this ship?
And if they sober up,
they'll have us home by morning.
[Dec 22, 2003 7:28:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

That would explain why people have been shoving all my saber' swords back at me easily.

Alas poor saber, I weep for you again.
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Dec 22, 2003 9:05:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
Taro

And the "top 4 repeating" method makes rapiers a tad nasty.
N?o chora, menina, n?o chora mais.
Um dia voc? vai saber.
Na vida existe sempre a raz?o
E mesmo a tristeza tem valor.

[Dec 22, 2003 9:13:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

very nice. i guess only time will show how it will work out balance-wise.

a big question remains, though:

how does sword placement work precisely? if thats asked too much, is there a way to influence placement for verticals? for horizontals? has it changed with the patch as well?
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Dec 22, 2003 9:19:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

The falchion becomes even meaner. Nice post.

Crystallina
who wonders what price they go for now
and is glad she snapped hers up at 4K
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Dec 22, 2003 10:43:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

And thus they proceeded to remove sprinkling as a viable attack method. Sigh.
Sart
Senior Officer of Black Death
[Dec 22, 2003 11:56:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Not if you're using poniards. Then it just becomes vicious.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Dec 22, 2003 11:58:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

The point of this was to make both swords and sprinkles viable, they might have to redo a couple more swords/add swords to really get this going but the plan from what Jack said is to have both work for different swords and have some swords that are fairly good at both.
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Dec 22, 2003 12:42:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Jack said fencing sword. Tee hee! Reply to this Post

Brilliant post, I think I'll have to read it about ten times before it makes sense but its gonna help a lot. Thanks.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

Before the new year? I had everything in that post figured out already, other that the swords not using the bottom 2 rows more than once part. :P

With help from garf, admittedly.

Still, excellent post Jack, this really helps in determining which sword I shoud get :P

/me taps his foot for his skull dagger to finish

Much thanks for making everything clear.
Xyphus on Hunter. Aiziril on Midnight. Bored on all oceans.
[Dec 22, 2003 9:09:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

Just bumping this to make a comment I feel needs to be made... Specially after this comment -

Jack wrote: 
until the dedicated sword fighting crews are not all weilding the same exact sword.

OK. Given some experience with the new swords, the 'pros' are now using one of 2 identical swords. I swear 90% of everyone whos anyone is using a Shortsword or a Rapier now.
Xyphus on Hunter. Aiziril on Midnight. Bored on all oceans.
[Dec 30, 2003 8:23:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

The short sword is much too powerful for its cost. Methinks some serious balancing needs to be made.
Sart
Senior Officer of Black Death
[Dec 30, 2003 8:44:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheCosmicChz

Yay let the cycle of nerfing/buffing -> tarting -> counter-tarting -> nerfing/buffing commence!

/me draws his stick closer, in a protective manner, "Hopefully they'll leave you alone, dear friend, and this will all blow over eventually."

[edit] For clarification I would like to say that I agree that the swords should be balanced. I just dread the uncertainty phase and don't look forward to all the ticked off people who had their prize sword bated. Groundbreaking balancing of major gameplay features is never a fun thing, necessary, but not fun.
--Dcurd :
Not the cap'n of Dcurd's crew
Stick-wielder of questionable sanity-or something
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TheCosmicChz at Dec 30, 2003 8:56:42 AM]
[Dec 30, 2003 8:56:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    NotSoDreadDcurd [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

Ah, I can't wait for someone to call the short sword a 'n00b cannon', then the parallel to Counterstike's nerf wars will be complete.

The above self fulfilling prophecy was brought to you by the letter Q and the number 42.
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Dec 30, 2003 9:07:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
mehearties

accidental quote...edited to remove it
[Dec 30, 2003 10:15:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Weaver

This is what happens when my crew leave me by myself:
http://weaver.merold.net/pirates/sworddrops.php

I just hope it's right =)
Weaver - First Mate of Orange Revolution, Prince of Crimson Tide
Sword Patterns
[Jan 23, 2004 9:19:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://weaver.merold.net/pirates/swordcolours.php?sword=All [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Oh, oh, oh, oh wow.

Thesis,
speechless.
Thesis
[Jan 23, 2004 9:21:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

Weaver...

you...

um...

this is beautiful mate...

nice one...
Glub (again)
[Jan 23, 2004 9:40:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

*bows down*
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Jan 23, 2004 10:04:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Heh, and here's me giving people the "sideways" pattern and "sprinkle" pattern and "sword repeating zone." 10x more effecient, but doesn't leave quite as much to the imagination :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jan 23, 2004 10:30:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Besides the huge advantage now people can get, by looking up your pattern before they fight :).
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Jan 23, 2004 11:09:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I find it much easier to simply look at the blocks being dropped *insert goofy face here*
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jan 23, 2004 11:24:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Dodongo77

damn.....nice work Weaver!
[Jan 23, 2004 12:15:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Weaver

xagoloth wrote: 
Besides the huge advantage now people can get, by looking up your pattern before they fight :).

Well, it's public info, so everyone can if they wanna, so no net advantage.

But I think it's probably more useful for choosing a sword of your own... hopefully =)
Weaver - First Mate of Orange Revolution, Prince of Crimson Tide
Sword Patterns
[Jan 23, 2004 1:02:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://weaver.merold.net/pirates/swordcolours.php?sword=All [Link]  Go to top 
crazyrandom

Aye, but what happens when you break a 4x4... does it translate to a 3x4 and a 1x4?
Artemis tell you, "Shh don't tell anyone."
_________
Fara
[Mar 22, 2004 1:21:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    desufnocuoyera [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates