• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5420 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
richtermarc

Offline Puzzle Practice - Not Likely? Reply to this Post

So, here I sit at work behind a rather brutal firewall. No dial-up access at lunch time. 1 hour van ride to and from work.

Any chance of ever getting a mode where the game can be launched "off-line" to allow poor swabbies like meh the chance to just play some of the puzzles for fun?

Me wonders if this would "cannabalize" yer subscriber base too much. Maybe patch the client somehow once someone pays to enable this...I don't know.

If I be swillin' too much rum and it's got to me head, let me know.
----------------------------------------
Gribble of the Calico Mauraders (of doom)
Buckling Swash since December 5th, 2003
Read me ramblings here
[Dec 17, 2003 10:56:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Re: Offline Puzzle Practice - Not Likely? Reply to this Post

I doubt it, but here are some games that are sort of like the YPP puzzles:

Drinking == Alchemy. You can find this game at lots of different game sites- Yahoo, Zone, etc.
Bilging == Bejeweled. Same.
Swordfighting == Super Puzzle Fighter. Never played it so I know nothing about the game, but I've heard they're similar.
Sailing == Dr. Mario. It's a video game- I have it for SNES, dunno what other systems it's on.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Dec 18, 2003 12:01:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Lothy

Yeah the concepts in those games are similar but the strategies are very different.

In Bejeweled for instance, you can flip pieces vertically, and you HAVE to make a play every time you flip.... not a great Bilging strategy to get yourself accustomed to.

I can sympathize with you... I also am behind a firewall and would love to play on a whim.... but unfortunately they enforce earning my paycheck...hehe :)
Lothy[size=9], Senior Officer of the Free Radicals
Sailing under the Flag Plundered Hearts
[Dec 18, 2003 12:19:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlopatin

bilging is barely like bejewelled.

it is however, exactly like a super nintendo game called Tetris attack.

this game was later re-released as pokemon puzzle league.

big fun.
Barrghnaby
formerly,Captain of The Sea Hounds
now deceased...
[Dec 18, 2003 12:43:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Tetris Attack always reminded me more of swordfighting...it builds upwards, and the more chains you get, the bigger 'blocks' you drop on the opponent.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Dec 18, 2003 12:49:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Pokeytax

I feel GIDDY Reply to this Post

Bilging isn't any more like Tetris Attack than Bejewelled; the scoring emphasis in TA is almost entirely on chains, whereas in bilging it's entirely on combos. More importantly, in Tetris Attack you can hot-swap pieces during your clears, which lets you extend your chains until you run out of blocks. Basically bilging is just like most other puzzle games ever - a slight, superaddictive twist on existing themes. The YPP ones are actually a little less derivative than I'd expect.

If they introduced a new "style" of swordfighting based on Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack, and let you choose which one to use, maybe I could pull mine out of the tank.

Oh, right, topic! Anyway, I think you're out of luck now. Maybe in the future you'll see the game on cell phones, though.
Pokeytax on Malachite
Pokey on Midnight
[Dec 18, 2003 1:27:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlopatin

i was actually thinking of the single player version of TA...

where the object was to clear... and i meant game mechanics, not scoring...

it's still the closest thing to bilge, imo.
Barrghnaby
formerly,Captain of The Sea Hounds
now deceased...
[Dec 18, 2003 1:48:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pokeytax

Haha, I didn't think of that at all, perhaps because I've played single-player Tetris Attack maybe five times. :)
Yeah, it's top down, but I'll hand it to you there - in the context of this thread , it would be the best way to practice bilging.
Pokeytax on Malachite
Pokey on Midnight
[Dec 18, 2003 1:54:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Practice mode Reply to this Post

We don't have a lot of interest in doing the puzzles stand-alone for the PC because our mission is to get people to download the full game and play... but it's not out of the question, and some folks (games distributors) have been intrigued by the idea. More interesting to us are other platforms, like parts of PP on cell phones and whatnot. All of which will come laterrr.
[Dec 18, 2003 3:08:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
ultima7

Cleaver,

How about having the ability to download the puzzles if you purchase a full year subscription. Maybe make it a bonus for buying the longest subscription. Then most people would not be getting the games just to play offline, but would get the ability to practice on computers behind a firewall. (and be able to waste even more time at work)

[size=9]* Of course you would extend this deal to all Alpha/Beta subscribers. ;-)
Argyle
[Dec 18, 2003 3:27:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Re: Practice mode Reply to this Post

Cleaver wrote: 
More interesting to us are other platforms, like parts of PP on cell phones and whatnot.

Puzzle Pirate Puzzles on Palmtops and Mobile Phones are teh l33t. Arr!
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Dec 18, 2003 3:30:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Capt_Poco

Prehaps one of the puzzles could be released as a "ready to play" game on Shockwave. I used to play at Shockwave quite a bit, and I was always a little dissapointed when a game had to be downloaded to play, since most shockwave games can be played instantly. The released puzzle (Hopefully one of the very original ones like Navigation or Distillery, or both) could make people want to download Puzzle Pirates. Just a thought.
homullus wrote: 
Gold star!

[Dec 18, 2003 4:02:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drewmetoo

http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html

(the nocrew bit is *not* YPP related)

Yes, there is a Win32 port available.

On your home PC run:

hts -F localhost:23 8888
and then something like redir, to redirect traffic from your local port 8888 to port 4007 on the YPP server.

On your work PC, run:
htc -F 4007 -P your.work.proxy.server:proxyport your.home.ip.address:8888

And bobs yer uncle!

NB, Its easier if you are the sysadmin, and have control over the firewall. Ah, the advantages of my job!
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
[Dec 18, 2003 6:30:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Dr. Mario is on a plethora of early systems. I have NES and GameBoy versions of it (the GameBoy version is slightly harder).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Dec 18, 2003 7:01:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
richtermarc

drewmetoo wrote: 

(the nocrew bit is *not* YPP related)

/snip

NB, Its easier if you are the sysadmin, and have control over the firewall. Ah, the advantages of my job!

Wow.

You know I'm trying this tommorow, what with me bosses not bein' around and stuff.

Yarrr!
Gribble of the Calico Mauraders (of doom)
Buckling Swash since December 5th, 2003
Read me ramblings here
[Dec 18, 2003 7:27:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Actually, Bejeweled is really useful for learning the patterns to recognise for bilging- seeing it takes away the option of multiple moves you HAVE to know what to do with the pieces. It also helps you learn to see cascades. I know my bilging score goes way up after I play bejeweled.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Dec 18, 2003 8:11:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

drewmetoo wrote: 

[...]

On your work PC, run:
htc -F 4007 -P your.work.proxy.server:proxyport your.home.ip.address:8888

Okay, I'm not grokking this... httptunnel appears to just open a local port to listen to. Y!PP still has to connect to the local port to use the tunnel, though, and I'm not seeing any way to do that. I tried setting proxies in javawa, but port 4007 access is not going through the proxy server, and I don't see any option to use a proxy server or different host when accessing port 4007 inside of Y!PP...

Am I missing something?
Silvermoon, First Mate, Silver Dragon Trading Company
Silverstar, Instructor, Puzzle Pirates Academy (retired)
[Dec 18, 2003 9:21:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates