• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 109
Posts: 109   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22074 times and has 108 replies Next Thread
ScaryMuffin

[Sage] Fruit Market Monopoly Madness (PvP Galore!)

[Sage] Fruit Market Monopoly Madness (PvP Galore!)

An event for those with a desire to brush up or learn and practice PvP! Show that you’re the ocean’s finest with your team of four and sloop or cutter.

The aim of the game is to be the first to port at Admiral with a complete set of all the fruits used in the event. Everyone will start with a certain number of one fruit and must PvP others for the other fruits.

Date: March 17th, 2006

Time: 7pm PST

Register with me in game or in this thread within 24 hours before the event (so that I can collect more fruit if necessary). If there is spare fruit, I will be taking late registrants on a first-come first-serve basis. When registering, please note the game name of all the pirates in your four-pirate team and the name of your sloop/cutter.

A complete list will be noted in this thread once the registration deadline has passed. I will also note what fruits will be used at that time and take late registrants if I have spare fruit.

Before the event, have your sloop/cutter ported at Admiral. At 6:30pm on the day of the event, my referees and I will begin briefing the rules and checking vessel histories and transferring fruit over. You may not deport until it shows 7pm in the /info.

At 7pm, all ships may deport and begin engaging each other for PvP. The entire event will take place on the Admiral-Scrimshaw route. You are allowed to port at Admiral for supplies, but you are not allowed to divvy the booty or change ships. Only PvP participating ships. Once you make it back to Admiral port with at least one of each fruit used in the event, send a tell to Scarymuffin and a referee will be jobbed to your crew and verify by checking your booty (which is why you’re not allowed to divvy). Important! Read: If you divide the booty before a referee verifies your booty, you will be disqualified! Prizes will be given to the first three ships that port with a complete set of fruit.

Tiebreaker: If I receive two tells from a ported ship with a complete set within ten seconds of each other, I will consider it a tie. After verifying the vessel records, both ships will immediately set out and engage each other, the winner will take the higher spot contested.

Prizes: First place team will get to choose one of the following prizes, the second place team will pick from whatever is left and the third place team will take the leftovers.

-Four Renamed Sloops, Tenatively: Fruity Robero, Engaging Bananafish, Exploding Pineapplefish, Attacking Mangofish.

-Four Fancy County Fair Blue Ribbons

-Four Fruitcakes

Post your questions, comments, concerns and registrations below!

Please also note that this is an event in the Event Event and that participant feedback would be greatly appreciated.
----------------------------------------
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Feb 20, 2006 3:55:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silveryblue

Re: [Sage] Fruit Market Monopoly Madness (PvP Galore!)

Count me in!
Lefty
Cap'n of The Wrecking Crew
Listener of Shanty Raid-io
&
The Proudest Member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '08
[Feb 20, 2006 4:09:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://facebook.com/p.php?id=8334220&l=e3876b2492    Silveryblue7    Silveryblue70    288253584 [Link]  Go to top 
Inannamute

Woot, of course I'm gonna be there. :D
Inanna, Sage
Captain of Dulce et Decorum est
Nannatars

Current Avatar by Pokeme
[Feb 20, 2006 4:18:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HolyApoc

Heh, picking up a team now, I'll be there :)
Valandir on Sage
Senior Officer of The Lost Lot
Formerly coated with Chaotic Candy Goodness
Now just a griefer.
[Feb 20, 2006 4:26:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Marux

Count with me scary!
Somewhere.. beyond the sea...
Somewhere, waiting for me...
[Feb 20, 2006 4:47:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BaxterHOSS

Count me in scarry. Mluce and the Blackbirds of Atlantis.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BaxterHOSS at Feb 20, 2006 4:50:01 PM]
[Feb 20, 2006 4:49:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Wow...thanks for the fast reply :) Don't forget that I can't put you down until I've got your 4-pirate team and the name of your sloop/cutter.

Apollo wrote: 

[Feb 20, 2006 4:55:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dadadude

K. This sounds cool but I got a few things I need to ask.
First off, I only be a pirate and thus, don't own a ship. Will I need to convince someone in my crew to bring groups of four. Really wish I was higher up on the piratey (corporate) scale at this point. So I probably can't go just because of my current position. Well, I'll give a good
[Feb 20, 2006 5:03:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dadadude

Sorry, me computer is all screwy. I didn't get all I wanted before that got sent somehow. Fortunately, I figured out how to seriously shorten my post and they are just questions about potential problems. I once again be only a pirate so some of these may be off but I'm pretty confident with these problems.

Problems I found:

1.Crews can stockpile several sets of sloops and cutters into the competition to increase the amount of participants in the crew. This is not as bad and may even be considered not cheating but it would pose an advantage for some

2.Not as much of a cheating problem as an error with the idea. Wouldn't there be some interference from non-participants. People that have the lousy luck of experiencing more interference will have the problem of possibly having booty including fruit pillaged, wasting more time getting out of combat and not having as much to take out participants, and possibly one of the more important, simply getting heavily damaged. I'd prefer not to get Max-O (I'm pretty sure I got that second letter wrong but I currently can't remember =) right before going into participant combat. Just imagine what would happen if all of one fruit was taken out of the contest o_O.

3. More cheating invo
[Feb 20, 2006 6:31:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

1. I know that some crews may field several teams. In fact, I know that my own crew is getting their teams together. I will be doing my best to keep them in check by arranging it so that it would be hard for them to complete a set of fruit on their own. Remember that there are 10 fruits in total (though no gurantee that i'll use all 10) and some teams may get the same fruit. So...people will have to field 20-30 teams just to be safe...that's pretty hard to do.

2. Brigands shouldn't be a problem as I can ask OMs to turn off brigands on the route for the duration of the event if necessary. As for people engaging others when they're in a bad situation..it's part of the strategy and planning (and chaos) of this event.

Apollo wrote: 

[Feb 20, 2006 10:00:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UnluckyJack

You ask for a sloop or cutter name and the names of the people on the team. But what if someone can’t make it, could we add 2 more names to the list for alternates to the posted team?
Walker

Swords are like really big keys, but instead of unlocking doors they unlock death.

Thank you Tilinka for the Tilinkatar
[Feb 21, 2006 5:59:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Sure, list your main team and the backups in case something happens. However, the team is set once we come to verify and transfer the fruit and you cannot change people afterwards.

Apollo wrote: 

[Feb 21, 2006 9:36:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UnluckyJack

rgrt
Walker

Swords are like really big keys, but instead of unlocking doors they unlock death.

Thank you Tilinka for the Tilinkatar
[Feb 21, 2006 5:08:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dadadude

Sorry, my compy was seriously screwed up on the night I posted which is why they are cut off and doubled.

I was saying the third problem was using the second problem to their advantage. Couldn't the crew actually intentionally put non participating ships out to attack ships that are participating, intentionally targeting only them and taking the fruit from those ships onto a participating ship from there crew. Or possibly worse yet, even have a non participating ship totally stockpiled with fruit and load all of the fruit on a participating ship as soon as they start.

The fourth possible problem I found is cheating plain out. Couldn't a ship deport with four men and then as soon as they leave, have three more load on. If they had them leave near the moment of a grapple, ships would not be able to see them to complain and I'm not sure how you could tell it. I'm saying have seven people on whenever there are no witnesses and have them leave when discovery is threatening

I had an idea to avoid cheating by having one assistant on each ship and not participate in the duties and kill themeselves during the battles but still be present to be witnesses. Auto-disqualification if they are planked. They'd have to be people you could trust because if you got volunteers, a certain crew could volunteer several assistants until one of their assistants is matched up with one of their ships.

I will give good word on the event event forum if you make changes or tell me why changes need to be made. Its not bribery, it is what I'd feel about it with the changes compared to what I would feel about it if you didn't. I am hoping that this will catch on because if there are more, maybe some day I'll have enough influence to sponsor my own team some time in the future!

I think it'd be really cool if you made a thread for matching good puzzlers who can't find a team up with eachother. You'd need a few ship owners for it to work though. Hey, you might even make a freind while doing it!

P.S.
My computer was seriously screwed up so please forgive me if some things were repeated. I don't know about your comps but on my screen, my posts were cut off and not all of my questions were there.
[Feb 21, 2006 6:12:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dadadude

I will be doing my best to keep them in check by arranging it so that it would be hard for them to complete a set of fruit on their own. Remember that there are 10 fruits in total (though no gurantee that i'll use all 10)

I noticed that this related to what I said. I woulda put that problem in as well except I forgot while I was writing. Just so you know the difference if it is not obvious, your checks would assume that participating ships are cheating with eachother while I was talking about non-participating ship in relation to participating ships, cheating for participating ships. That is what I meant and the problem is these would be harder to detect because there would be no documentation of the non-participating ships in the competition. This was another reason I mentioned the idea of the assistant on each ship to report if any questionable behavior goes on and to be debated as to whether disqualification is in line.

I realize that if this goes well, it would be very hard to find enough people you trust to assist among the ships. I can't think of something good but I'm sure you can get creative as to how to avoid cheating. This is not saying that assistants are even a good idea but you can be the judge of that.
[Feb 21, 2006 6:23:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Let me try to respond the best I can...but the general summary of what I'm posting below is this: There are ways to cheat but they can be detected and the ways to cheat are too difficult and not worthwhile doing since there are no guaranteed results and considering how you can be caught.

To your third problem: The rules specially say not to attack non-participating ships. All registrants will put down the name of their ships and I'll have the completed list up 24 hours prior to the event. You can check what ships people have attacked by looking at their crew's pvp records (accessable by everyone)

Fourth problem: Throughout the event I'll be constantly doing /vwho on all the vessels in the event, which will tell me how many people are on the ship. As well, the PvP records will tell me how many people were onboard when a ship engages another. Again, those caught cheating are instantly disqualified.

My original proposal had referees on each ships. However, this was pointed out by the mentors as a bad use of my help. Instead, I'd rather people go and enjoy the event. Myself and a few referees can continously check up on people in the event and deter cheating in a Big Brother kind of way.

If you take a look at how this event developed in my event proposal page on the wiki you can see how this event has evolved to its current point. I am confident that this will be a well runned and monitored event.

As for finding your teams, there is nothing stopping you from advertising here that you want a team. I don't think the forum admins will look too kindly at me for hogging two threads for this event :p. I've also advertised this event on several flag and crew forums to try and draw a big crowd.

On the second thread you posted. I play the social puzzle quite avidly on Sage and I'm confident in my ability to match fruits with teams. Again, the point is not whether people can do this, but the fact that you need to field a huge amount of teams (maybe even 30) in order to cheat properly...I don't know about you but I dont' have 30 sloops and 30 O badges lying around and if I did, I wouldn't be using them to win 4 more sloops.

Apollo wrote: 

[Feb 21, 2006 10:24:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dadadude

If you take a look at how this event developed in my event proposal page on the wiki

I did. And upon looking at the events you've ran (you apparently have a lot of experience with making up cool events) I found something that sounded rather cool. Amazing Race! That sounds awesome! The only problem would be finding rare charts for everyone and hoping they give them back. I wish the OM's would give extra supplies for contests that would dissapear as soon as the contest is over. Or do they. I've never thrown an event of my own so I don't know much about planning one =P

I am happy that you have already planned this to a large extent so us participants don't have to worry. After inspection, it is either impossible or unworthwhile to cheat in any way. Thank you for making a great contest. I probly can't participate because I got grounded from the computer I'm afraid (don't tell my mommy I'm writing this post) but I will eventually say that this is a good idea in the event event. Very good idea as far as I'm concerned. You'd think someone woulda thought of it before etc...blah...blah...blah you get the point.
[Feb 22, 2006 5:14:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Scary-

I have absolutely no resources on Sage and dont have the time right now to get any. BUT, if ya see a team that needs an extra mate, or a standby, send me a holler. I dont know if I need any badges or whatnot as Im not familiar with the dub oceans, but I can carp like a maddog!

(Tacos on Sage - yes, im unstated but check out Taco on Midnight!)
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Feb 24, 2006 11:34:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Marux

Well this is the first team: Necro, Alannah, Muscles, Marux.
The name of our vessel is: Gross Sild

I will post the next team of my crew when they decide lol
[Feb 24, 2006 11:29:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

I'm guessing your ship is a sloop?

Hm..I wonder if anyone will actually bring a cutter? No idea why it's included in OCL rules :p

Apollo wrote: 

[Feb 25, 2006 1:26:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aligate

Sounds like fun!
Aristoza
Amateur Owl
Fourteen flag royalty chats, "just tell them to suck 14s nuts"

Avatar by the lovely and talented Cattrin
[Feb 25, 2006 2:05:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

A good number of fruits have been gathered! Insofar I have enough for 20-25 teams...I just need the teams :p I know from my /tells that a lot of you are still building or just poking about at it :p

Post your imcomplete teams or the fact you want a team here! T_T I wouldn't mind seeing some posting action here :)

Apollo wrote: 

[Feb 26, 2006 11:21:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EspedairSt

Just 1 concern - Black Ship...shouldn't need explaining, but in case it does - teams with weak Sea Battle ratings, vs teams with strong Sea Battle; the weaker can always attack the stronger, but not t'other way around - alt abuse maybe? Or just weaker teams taking part, not necessarily alt abuse.
[Edit 100000 times, last edit by Espy at Feb 29, 1937 1:01:01 PM]
[Feb 27, 2006 6:49:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silveryblue

Hoya.. Lefty here with my team...

Sloop: The Lost Buoy

Myself
Nikolaas
Crystalkit
Rodeb/Hali (unconfirmed)
Lefty
Cap'n of The Wrecking Crew
Listener of Shanty Raid-io
&
The Proudest Member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '08
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Silveryblue at Feb 27, 2006 2:58:39 PM]
[Feb 27, 2006 9:51:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://facebook.com/p.php?id=8334220&l=e3876b2492    Silveryblue7    Silveryblue70    288253584 [Link]  Go to top 
Marux

aye a sloop...forget to add it that lol
[Feb 27, 2006 10:23:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dadadude

I believe this is the night that the event occured and should be occuring as I write this post. I didn't end up being able to participate or even figure out the results but congratulations to whoever won.
[Feb 27, 2006 5:58:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

As stated above...the date is 17th of March..there is a bit over 2 weeks left :p

I've met my fruit quota now ^_^ As long as you guys don't surprise me with 15 sudden registrants on the last day I should be fine.

Apollo wrote: 

[Feb 27, 2006 7:42:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
antonkraft

i want to join in.. to bad you cant enter with my favorit ship :(
have to try and talk with hakim to get a team :D
Yaruto
Antix tells you, "For some strange reason i picture you as this widom-like old man who reads dictionary's by an open fire as a hobby."
Nooblar tells ye, "But, i had fun eventhough you're sweedish and confusing <3"
[Feb 27, 2006 8:07:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Lol, I might let you take in Thor's Hammer but you can only still bring 4 people in total and no bots :p

Apollo wrote: 

[Feb 27, 2006 8:51:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
antonkraft

Lol, I might let you take in Thor's Hammer but you can only still bring 4 people in total and no bots :p

wow.. so every one knows my favorit ship...
well have to get a mini thor's hammer then....
Yaruto
Antix tells you, "For some strange reason i picture you as this widom-like old man who reads dictionary's by an open fire as a hobby."
Nooblar tells ye, "But, i had fun eventhough you're sweedish and confusing <3"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by antonkraft at Feb 27, 2006 9:57:04 PM]
[Feb 27, 2006 9:56:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 109   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates