• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 202
Posts: 202   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17354 times and has 201 replies Next Thread
sweetnessc

The End of Chronic Lazing [or: Putting the Puzzle Back in the Pirates] Reply to this Post

A number of us who often lead large and profitable pillages have been discussing the matter of late, and agree on two fundamental concepts: that continual lazing has become a chronic, identifiable, and troubling problem; and that it is going to end.

Take this as public notice, not from one, but from all of us: we will not tolerate your lazing. When you are on our pillages, do your share, and work your shift. If the ship is full, it does not mean that the last 6 people on never have to puzzle. If you get a lazing station one battle, take a work station the next battle. If you want to hang out and tart while someone else does all the dirty work, go to the docks. You're not welcome on our ships. If you need to do other things that will take more than a few minutes, go stand somewhere else while you do them. If you want to sit back and laugh in a "what? me puzzle?" way when there are 3 sail stations open and 9 people not working... get off. Lazing battle after battle isn't fair to the people working hard to run a pillage, and it isn't fair to the people puzzling hard to make the ship work properly. You being a famous and talented pirate, however beeootiful your stats page might be, ain't gonna fill the sails, empty the bilge or fix the holes in the ship. You still need to pull your weight.

Those are our expectations.

And this is how we are going to enforce them. Anyone lazing for two consecutive battles, without giving the CO on duty a bloody good reason for it, will be planked from the pillage. If you don't pull your weight, expect to be minused a battle on the divvy. And know that we all communicate with each other, and we are all united in stamping out this problem.

It's that simple. Don't make us use a more complex structure of rules, guidelines, and consequences. If a simple outlining of "lazing is bad, mmkay" doesn't do the trick, perhaps we'll have to be a bit more hard-bootied about it. Let's not let it get that far.

If you want to be an elite pirate, act like one.

Yours truly,

Bendeall
Fannon
Jacktheblack
Mordrid
Rummykins
Rexelita
Shuranthae
Solid
Squeakbeard
Sweetiepiepi
Zanered
----------------------------------------
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 10, 2006 9:57:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manky

Re: The End of Chronic Lazing [or: Putting the Puzzle Back in the Pirates] Reply to this Post

/me applauds, and you know damn well why :)

Too bad I'm not around to see it though!
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by manky at Jan 10, 2006 10:01:15 PM]
[Jan 10, 2006 10:00:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Re: The End of Chronic Lazing [or: Putting the Puzzle Back in the Pirates] Reply to this Post

Some of the large ship pillages I've jobbed on (been awhile though) have allowed the beyond-puzzle-capacity lazers to laze until someone working wanted to take a break from their puzzle for a bit.

Course, if I ever get on a large-ship pillage, I'll probably just follow the methods of the CO. Been a long while since I went on such a pillage on Midnight though.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jan 10, 2006 10:15:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

/me cheers

Now if only the captains of cobalt would take action like this. I have crew mates that laze horribly on other crews' pillages, often while even the captain duty puzzles. It's disgusting. Kudos to y'all for trying to change things.
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[Jan 10, 2006 10:23:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

Yours truly,

Bendeall
Fannon
Jacktheblack
Mordrid
Rummykins
Rexelita
Shuranthae
Solid
Squeakbeard
Sweetiepiepi
Zanered

Yay. This is how it should be. I have no problem with someone doin the laze for a battle if the ship is full... but they better actually expect to work if they are going to be there. That being said... I don't think this just stands for the "upper" end b-navvers. This should really be something that most in the ocean try to think about when running a pillage with a full ship. :o) And really this gives the CO a little something extra to do.... saying "people take stations please" gets annoying. This way they get to planky plank plank.
Peanutswench
------
[Jan 10, 2006 10:26:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nalle5

Great post!

/me woots and cheers!
Angara
Midnight

This account is retired and PM's sent here will not be answered
I am now using my Angara account

[Jan 10, 2006 10:40:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

*points and laughs at all the lame whiners*
[Jan 10, 2006 10:41:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Huh, odd that I rarely have this problem on my ships. Must be the reputation or something.
[Jan 10, 2006 10:45:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tls_writes

Cool by me.

Frankly, standing around doing nothing drives me nuts. For one battle, maybe; it gives me a chance to stretch, rest hands and eyes, make more coffee, whatever. But why in the heck would I go pillaging if I didn't want to puzzle?

Can we now have a statement about people who, when asked to take a station, tell you that they're no good at that station and suggest you let them nav instead? How about ones who do that and then tell you you have an attitude problem because you expect them to follow orders?
Neyr@Sage&Malachite (formerly Nereida@Midnight).
[Jan 10, 2006 10:57:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

Damn, no more newbie-nav pillages for me. plesdunpvpme. I dunno why you haven't been planking before this though, does midnight really need to have a meeting before it does anything meaningful? Hell I just plank people if they piss me off enough.
Funny exam answers | Free online contests
[Jan 10, 2006 11:13:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Apparently I'm just too nice. See the name. :-)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 10, 2006 11:23:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mordrid

I don't have the problem either, but i signed it because i truly do believe in what the pact is saying. And if i DO have the problem in the future, i will treat those jobbers in the afore-mentioned ways.

-Mordrid
Mordrid
Midnight Ocean
King of the Killer Watermelons
[Jan 10, 2006 11:57:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Queanie

*applauds* bravo!
Jezabella
Supposedly retired, but recently seen skulking around on various botes
[Jan 11, 2006 1:32:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TarnumTheRed

Nice post sweetie, and I have always professed this attitude within our flag. As I mentioned in another thread, nothing makes me madder than when I am puzzlign my butt off, becuase I was INVITED on a pillage and there are 4 others standing around tarting and criticizing everyone else, but then get the same amount of booty and SB rating increase. ]

I'm glad to know that when sailing with any of these mates, I won't have to worry about that.
Tarnum

Darvid wrote: 
I guess it's just fun to poke the retarded bunny.
Muroni wrote: 
Who isn't sure that leif will let me enter him, but I'm willing to try.

[Jan 11, 2006 5:11:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

*is happy*
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Jan 11, 2006 5:29:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
bonjella

Great Post, with you all the way, 100% support

umm... don't you plank people that refuse to take a station anyway?

Maybe things are harsher on Viridian :-D

Amykate - plank happy :-)
Ex-SO of Moonlitwake, member of the flag Moonlighting on Midnight
Ex-Captain of Dragon's Horde and Ex-Queen of the RiddleMakers on Viridian
Minister of Technology for RiddleMakers
Gov of Labby
www.RiddleMakers.org
[Jan 11, 2006 5:49:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.cunningcode.com/moonlighting [Link]  Go to top 
Squeak22

Some of the large ship pillages I've jobbed on (been awhile though) have allowed the beyond-puzzle-capacity lazers to laze until someone working wanted to take a break from their puzzle for a bit.

Of course that's correct. What we are saying is for those last 6 or 7 to speak up and swap out stations with the people who have been puzzling for like 2 hours.

I signed this for this problem. I can get 24 people to puzzle for me pretty easily, but I feel bad that the same 24 people seem to be puzzling the entire pillage (which could be 3-4 hours!) while the same 5 or 6 sit around and do nothing.
Squeakbeard,
The Pirate King
ex-ex-ex-King of Dark Judgement(Merged into CT)
Proud owner of "Pequod"
[Jan 11, 2006 6:29:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lillibet

I heartily endorse this product and/or service.

As a frequent CO on War Brig runs, I suffer from the same problem. I also agree that this statement shouldn't only apply to the 'top' pillagers, but for all of us. Aren't we all entitled to full ships and a nice ratio of worker:lazer?
/me sighs

Take what ye can, give nothing back!
[Jan 11, 2006 6:47:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mattmartin72

Feel free to add Napalm to the list of CO's who wont accept lazing around.
Napalm
Captain of Die Fish Die

Encaustic art Av by Skullcracker, click for more of Skullys work
[Jan 11, 2006 6:51:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

As a question, in my experience, it frequently seems to be the same set of people lazing. Why not just stop inviting them?
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jan 11, 2006 7:17:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squeak22

As a question, in my experience, it frequently seems to be the same set of people lazing. Why not just stop inviting them?

Not the same 6 exact people, but the same 6 people that were lazing at the beginning lazing at the end.
Squeakbeard,
The Pirate King
ex-ex-ex-King of Dark Judgement(Merged into CT)
Proud owner of "Pequod"
[Jan 11, 2006 7:46:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

One of the things we discovered when we were talking about this is that we seem to have different sets of chronic lazers. Person A who always lazes on Pie's pillages may always work on mine, or on Squeak's.

That, and just not inviting them is a bit passive aggressive. We like having people to play with, and we know that these people have massive talent if they just use it -- we just wanted to raise a red flag and say, "Hey, we're having an issue, all of us, and it needs to stop. Now."

But yes. Now that people have received a warning, rapid planking is going to be the norm for all of us, I suspect.
I alone have the flet!
[Jan 11, 2006 7:47:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Not the same 6 exact people, but the same 6 people that were lazing at the beginning lazing at the end.

Ah, see, whenever I've seen this kicked around, it's usually the same handful of people that get named.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jan 11, 2006 7:50:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rumsfeld

What ocean is this for?
~Rumsfeld
Montanio says, "punctuation is not needed I love reading run-on sentences they fill me with joy"
Learn how to Quote!
[Jan 11, 2006 7:54:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    pirate_rummy@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

What ocean is this for?

The only one that matters!

sarcasm++
I alone have the flet!
[Jan 11, 2006 7:55:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

What ocean is this for?

This is something that should happen on EVERY ocean. In this case all of us are navigators on Midnight.
[Jan 11, 2006 7:56:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Proposal:
Pillage on an mbrig, so I don't have to fight Haeema for that 4th bilge station.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Jan 11, 2006 7:56:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

One of the things we discovered when we were talking about this is that we seem to have different sets of chronic lazers. Person A who always lazes on Pie's pillages may always work on mine, or on Squeak's.

I've noticed this too. It's very odd to see some people busting their hump on a Miketracker pillage that can't be pried from the crow's nest on a Foilistc pillage and vice versa. We learned to stop inviting Big Booty Brigade to our pillages. (j/k, we love you guys ;)

I stand by "ye gotta have an aggressive XO". Signing forum petitions in Parley is about as effective as giving teaming lessons to your cats.
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[Jan 11, 2006 7:57:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
Clerks76

Signing forum petitions in Parley is about as effective as giving teaming lessons to your cats.

Yeah...if you're talking about inexperienced pirates who don't know they're being rude, they probably don't read the forums anyway. If you're talking about experienced pirates who don't care that they're being rude, wouldn't they be more likely to take a station if you asked them directly? If you're trying to accomplish a sea change by making other people aware that you think it's important that everyone works...well, I'd imagine that most everyone reading this already agrees with that opinion.
Vulgarbeard
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Captain of Plank Club
Lord of Avalon
http://avalon.nightstar.ca/forum/

Avatar by Fuzzybeard, compliments of Quid Pro Pose
[Jan 11, 2006 8:08:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://avalon.nightstar.ca/forum/ [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Ha ha yep, not everybody reads the forums, but let me tell you, in day one of an exchange days ago *purely by email* between three or four of the above navvers talkin' bout whether or not to do this, I was contacted about this post by no less than ten people who had nothing to do with the emails. This'll get people talking. And the important bit is that we will be enforcing it.

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 11, 2006 8:36:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 202   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates