• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 20
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3357 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
ctate

Whatever the weather we'll weather the weather Reply to this Post

Five months of beta testing, and it still hasn't rained in the game. Pretty soon ye'd expect all the elderberries to be shrivelled and fit only for wine, the yarrow to have died off entirely, an' the trees turning to stone where they stand!

How about some in-game weather, eh? Could have great consequences for sailing and ship battle....
----------------------------------------
Pelikan, Gunner of the Adventurer's League
Flying the colours of the Plundered Hearts
[Nov 28, 2003 5:59:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

Re: Whatever the weather we'll weather the weather Reply to this Post

This was suggested before and quickly denied, not because it's a bad idea, but because it creates a heavy strain on the system. Plus it blows the media budget right out of the water. That's the same reason why there aren't any waves at sea.
[Nov 28, 2003 6:03:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xceptopec

And spare a thought for us poor Brits that see rain for about 75% of the year, do we really want to see more rain??
Captain Callam

Commander, The Children Of Odin
Prince - Forseti's Justice

Also - (The original) Cutter - (Azure) Ice, Midnight, Cobalt, Sage, Hunter.
[Nov 28, 2003 6:29:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Weather Reply to this Post

Weather at sea; storms that make sailing more interesting or dangerous, on the list. Weather as visual effect; not on the list.
[Nov 28, 2003 6:34:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

I've heard the media budget mentioned SO much as of late, but I'm still not sure on what the actual issues it entails are.. any chance you'd illuminate me, Cleaver?
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Survivor of Old Spice & Nyx's Scions
Officer of Black Death
[Nov 28, 2003 6:47:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

fixed it for you. Reply to this Post

Soma wrote: 
I've heard the media budget mentioned SO much as of late, but I'm still not sure on what the actual issues it entails are.. any chance you'd illuminate me, O wise and wonderful font of all things knowlege-y?

Sure! It all comes down to bandwidth. Remember the dialup tarting not too long ago when the media downloads got booched? Picture that seven or eightfold since a weather effect would probably not just be an extra visual channel...Either way, increasing the size of the media download (when it needs to be downloaded) for a purely aesthetic feature is one way to annoy a not-insignificant portion of your customers.

I bet money and time have something to do with it too but keeping the overall size of the game down is the goal I hear most often in regard to this.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Nov 28, 2003 7:11:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

I do think visual effects of weather would be cool, which could be handled client side (just have to have the server tell the client when to start raining and when to stop raining). And if you just used particles I wouldn't think it would take that much space up.

However, I've never successfully programed anything that related to either networking or graphics so I could be completely off here. . .

Either way it isn't important but it would seem odd to have the ship being thrown around and making sailing difficult then to leave the puzzle and have a perfectly calm sea. . .
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Nov 28, 2003 8:28:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Particle effects and polygon rendering in Java. Heh heh heh.

Not for at least three or four years, lad. We're shooting for low-end machines here, remember.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Nov 28, 2003 9:03:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

More likely would be to have a "rain" or "night" transparent graphics layer over the rest (see old 16-bit games like the SNES or Genesis), but even that may be too much for the low-end or even middle-end customer. Not to mention probably adding some bad flicker.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Nov 28, 2003 9:34:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Not likely, if they program their graphics right (and by this, I probably mean doing all the rendering on a buffer, and not just plonking an extra layer). But still. This is probably where the right thing isn't the most efficient thing.

Still. The current system on my computer has trouble moving more than one and a half dozen characters while I'm puzzling. I'd imagine if that happened while it was raining it'd be lock-up time.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Nov 28, 2003 10:11:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

I did say that I'd never successfully programed anything related to graphical interface. . .
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Nov 28, 2003 10:55:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ultima7

I don't know what y'all are talking about. It rains all the time in Y!PP. It just rains when you are logged off. >:) I bet if someone was online for 12 hours straight they would see the rain. The screen would start to get blurry, your pirate would move slower, and swordfighting in the rain would be harder. I would like some people who have played for long stretches to confirm this. Do you notice these "rainy" effects?
Argyle
[Nov 29, 2003 11:52:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DIshmael

ultima7 wrote: 
I don't know what y'all are talking about. It rains all the time in Y!PP. It just rains when you are logged off. >:) I bet if someone was online for 12 hours straight they would see the rain. The screen would start to get blurry, your pirate would move slower, and swordfighting in the rain would be harder. I would like some people who have played for long stretches to confirm this. Do you notice these "rainy" effects?

Is that what it is? I always attributed it to bein' tired. :)
Dunatis
Sage

Once a Knight, Always a Knight. But Once a King is Once too often
[Nov 30, 2003 12:48:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Torrid_Thorn

DIshmael wrote: 
ultima7 wrote: 

Is that what it is? I always attributed it to bein' tired. :)

Wow, me too. So thats when its raining, all this time here I've been without my slicker and galoshes.
"Ah the sword.... can be your greatest friend, and your most dire enemy. Keep yours sharp and hope your foe neglects his."

"When the cut comes, steel yer arms and prepare for the bleed"
[Nov 30, 2003 3:11:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Capt_Poco

Anyone have a suggestion about what "stormy" sailing could be?

Fer a start, ye could make blue pieces fall from the top o the board with no player control. Maybe one every couple of turns.

Next, all the things ye need te fill in require brown rope pieces. Ye could get a burst of speed if ye got a lotta brown, but the fill-in blocks would revert after the storm, making it a risky proposition.

Bilge and carp should also be changed in a storm. Bilge would no longer come up by itself, but damage would leak in twice the bilge.

A storm would last a league so that pirates could seabattle in storms.
Maybe a storm soundtrack (thunder, the hiss of rain, the bellowing of a capitan ect not music) would work better than a graphic and still add atmosphere.

[size=9]Note: These ideas are off the top o me head and are quite booch-worthy.
homullus wrote: 
Gold star!

[Nov 30, 2003 4:32:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
baast

Soma wrote: 
I've heard the media budget mentioned SO much as of late, but I'm still not sure on what the actual issues it entails are.. any chance you'd illuminate me, Cleaver?

ok so I'm not Cleaver, obviously, but....

I am a dialup internet user. I would have cable/dsl but they don't offer it in my area, at all, whatsoever. And yes there is satellite, but 1) I don't have that kind of money and 2) I don't think I could convince my neighbors to cut down all their trees so I can have a faster internet connection.

The media budget is how long it takes for us to download the files for the game to work. All the clothes, goods, items. swords, etc images are part of that budget. My 56K modem gets 28.6 on a good day. It usually takes me anywhere from 2-2.5 hours to download the lot when they have to do a release/update that requires reloading the whole kit and caboodle.

The reason media budget is important is because at some point, the dialup user will decide that it's really not worth it to spend what feels like forever to download a game. Luckily for the Ringers I am addicted, However if it took much longer than it does now, I would probably stop playing despite the fact that I have payed for the two years.

And as I said, I am not Cleaver, but I am one of the people who appreciates as small a media budget as possible.
Sassafras, on 5/7 4/5 oceans.
Barefoot in protest since 2003.

Will puzzle for wool.
[Nov 30, 2003 6:07:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
MKSparrow

Lag
Is it rainning?
[Nov 30, 2003 6:10:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hempline

Re: Weather Reply to this Post

First off, mind the buuump. More like a stagger-inducing lurch, really.

Weather at sea; storms that make sailing more interesting or dangerous, on the list. Weather as visual effect; not on the list.

This is on the list. Has been, evidently, for quite some time. It's quite all right, it's a little thing that adds spice rather than a massive, game-changing addition like Atlantis.

I have an idea to make stormy weather make sailing potentially more interesting and dangerous. First, have certain routes be considered "stormy." When sailing through these stormy routes, the sails have the same puzzle, but add a bit of a curve. Every few seconds (say, 15) a place on the puzzle board suddenly becomes 'dangerously gusty' and any piece that is moved over it is cemented in place. It drops its connected piece and changes into a normal block piece, hanging there.

This isn't as simple as "add another piece to complicate it" and it isn't just a negative thing for the talented sailor. After all, in tremendous wind, a true sail man can use that wind to their advantage while the less competent get tangled. The talented can use that new extra block to possibly form longer combos. This would make it so the speed sailors have to be slightly more cautious in the stormy seas, otherwise accidentally running into a gusty square they didn't notice before. Perhaps, just before the gusty square comes up, have a sound to warn the sailor so it doesn't pop into existence beneath a moving piece.

Anyways, thoughts for such an ancient idea?
Hempline
Forever a Nameless Corsair
Island Designer
Hermit

omg welcum bak hmeplien we mist u

-Eurydice
[Oct 31, 2007 12:34:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Marmink

Re: Weather Reply to this Post

Say hello to my little friend.

I opened up a thread a little bit ago to discuss possible solutions to implementing Storms at sea. Prep yourself for another bump and post something.
Marinko of the Sage Ocean
[Oct 31, 2007 11:25:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SaltySpirit

Re: even more ideas for the weather... Reply to this Post

Most people seem relatively 'puzzled' (ha-ha) as to the effects of weather on SAILING. I should think it would be the most obvious of all. 3 Ideas:

1. The pieces fall moderately fast, like 3/4 as fast as when you press space.

2. Every so often, Either a piece gets 'blown away' or an unclearable piece falls (to signify damage to the rigging, maybe?)

3. If the storm is severe (which gives me another idea I will follow up on), then all the pieces move to the left or right as the entire board shifts slightly (allowing a larger opportunity for combos <helpful for people that suck at sailing, like me>)

4?. Maybe ye could allow for storm severity, modifying the penalties for any puzzle. Some possible terms:
Drizzle...
A salty wind be blowin'!
It be pourin'!
Ye find yerself in a storm at sea...
Ye be lost in a hurricane, mate!

5???. These modifications of storm severity could make for some impressive new SMH fields... I, for one, would love to see the citadel surrounded by a fearsome storm.
[Oct 16, 2008 3:43:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates