• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2980 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Dylan

Dare to be Greevil! Reply to this Post

Oh dear!

I've extorted a puzzle from Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen and now I need an answer!

There is only one thing for it, since I have a brain the size of a peanut: I've got to ask the audience!

The more of you that independantly solve this puzzle, the more the cosmic computer will help me puzzle away for Beta. E-mail him with your solutions, with a sentence or two explaining what the best part of the puzzle was for you, personally, and remember to mention the name of your flag, too.

I will ask him for the top 3 entries submitted to him, as well as the total number of entries and the flag split (in general terms). I will be paying at least 10,000 PoE for this answer, and more for the more that send in correct answers (more than X answers, and I will pick a random correct entry to award 2000 PoE, for example).

Please remember, this is all in the interest of the Fandango anti-tournament, so don't enter if you aren't greevil enough to puzzle for Beta!

Dylan

Edited for correct e-mail address. And greevilness.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dylan at Nov 25, 2005 8:29:15 AM]
[Nov 25, 2005 8:04:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Re: Dare to be Greevil! Reply to this Post

Hey, the idea was to sharpen Dylan's mind by giving him a logic puzzle fer HIM to solve!!!!!! Not to have me running a second event in the same month! (I ran the Hickory Daiquiri Dock one less than a week ago)

Please email yer entries to betablast@frontiernet.net , with yer pirate name and flag in the subject line so I can keep them straight.

(the ones to me main email address will work, it's just that they are more likely to get drowned in the dozens of "there's been a reply to yer post in forum" things i get each day - when i get yer entry i'll reply to it so ye know that i got it)

EDIT: since this puzzle was based on a real pillage, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to say it be cheating to ask anybody who was on that pillage to look things up in their chat log (including asking yerself). Honor system on that.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Edit 2 times, last edit by tcarr at Nov 25, 2005 8:29:23 AM]
[Nov 25, 2005 8:23:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Irelay

Beta is a nice island.

You all like Beta.

You all like Beta.You all like Beta.You all like Beta.You all like Beta.You all like Beta.You all like Beta.You all like Beta.You all like Beta.

Irelay l Otherwhen l Water Sleeps
Mightnight Ocean pirate since August '04
[Nov 25, 2005 8:24:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

/me wonders if this is the only example of a Fandango paying his *own* poe fer incentive to win in the Anti-tournament.
[Nov 25, 2005 9:08:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

/me wonders if this is the only example of a Fandango paying his *own* poe fer incentive to win in the Anti-tournament.

Money can't buy ye glub.

Dylan
[Nov 25, 2005 9:11:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

I paid myself a cool clean 3k in poe to protect BoraBora from being blockaded. I won by default. Now I just need to find a way to collect the other 10k that I promised to myself. Damn greedy 'dangos.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Nov 25, 2005 10:10:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Three entries so far. Contest will remain open until at least Sunday noon Pacific (and if we don't have 20 entries, then until I get up Monday morning).
[Nov 25, 2005 6:12:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Five correct entries so far. If I understand Dylan's email message to me explaining his prizes, I get to pick the top two of all correct entries (not based on who answered first, based on the "which part of the puzzle ye liked best" part). First place gets 5K, second gets 3K, anybody else who gets it right gets 2K up to 15 entries.

That's Dylan's poe. I'm gonna match it fer 1st and 2nd, and chip in 2K fer each additional correct entry after the 15. So...... if yer entry is *correct*, then:

First place gets total of 10K poe
Second place total of 6K poe
anybody else gets 2K poe (if the entry is correct)

Contest ends when I have 20 correct entries, or when I get up Monday morning, whichever comes first (but earliest possible ending is noon Sunday Pacific time).
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tcarr at Nov 26, 2005 8:52:08 PM]
[Nov 26, 2005 8:50:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

It is now *too late* to submit entries fer this contest. Solution will be posted sometime later today.

The winners are:

10K for the best "what I liked most about the puzzle":
Yellowshanks, Silver Dawn

The part I liked best was the fact that there were more characters "in play" as part of the puzzle than were actually involved with the answer, which adds to the difficulty of the puzzle. Also, making the solver interact with the game to get info about the players adds to the fun of the puzzle. All in all, a very satisfying puzzle!

6K for the second best "what I liked most about the puzzle":
Msviolaceous, Avalon.

I liked the setup of having to deduce the numbers of pirates knocked out in each battle by figuring out the 2, 2, 2, 0, 1, 3 thing.

2K each for every other correct entry
Bootlicker, Looterati
Tamsin, Looterati
Kargach, Seraph's Nightmare
Sephoris, The Uprising
Irelay, Water Sleeps
Hadrianna, Hugglebees

That's a total of 28K in prizes. What Dylan doesn't cough up, Lordkalvan will. (Dylan: which will *ye* pay, and which should come to me?)

EDIT: Dylan found me ingame and gave me half the prize poe (14K). Contact Lordkalvan in-game fer yer prize money (and ye might want to remind him about the /pay thing, so we don't have to actually meet face to face).
[Edit 2 times, last edit by tcarr at Nov 28, 2005 5:13:49 AM]
[Nov 28, 2005 4:37:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

"Hoist by me own petard," Dylan muttered. At least I've got some clues to solve this accursed puzzle with now, and get my brain sharp again.

"Here is a chest with my half of the prize money in it," he told Lord Kalvan. "But there is another problem. My opponent is Piplicus. Normally, I'd get him drunk afore fighting, but he's wise to that now!"

He called over Irelay. "So here is my cunning plan... while ye distract him with pom-poms, I'll cut the ropes holding up those coloured bricks just as he passes under 'em. That should knock him out long enough to get me safely out of this anti-tourney!"

----

So, pom-pom waving while ye watch us fight. Pom-pom phorum pictures, preferably Photoshopped pom-pom Piplicus piratey phorum pictures!

Dylan
[Nov 28, 2005 5:16:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Data bank needed to solve the puzzle:

Otherwhen crewmembers aboard
Lordkalvan, capt of otherwhen, royal of WS
Sassysasha, SO, Princess
Vevetpearl, SO, Gunner, Lady
Dragonburn, SO, Diplomat, Lord
Outlawjack, SO, scapegoat
Redshell, Officer, Midshipman
Swabbiesue, Officer
Ailuros, Pirate (*had* been cabin person)

jobbers
Grapeape, capt of tribbles, royal of WS
Mystillia, SO of Navver's Ed
Birdz, cabin person of Tribbles
Blynkin, SO, Counselor, Curs of the Black Pearl
Saltylady, Capt of Gray Wolves, Princess of The Lone Wolf
Makenshi, FO of Myrmidons
Foxinsocks, FO, Sailmaster of Lime Mob
Jandor, SO, Poet, The Lion's Heart

and Zgirl o course.
[Nov 28, 2005 5:47:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Solution to the puzzle (without the reasoning):

(are ye sure ye don't want to solve it yerself???)

First battle of the night was against Hard-Headed Pike. Nobody on the Otherwhen ship was eliminated at all.

Second: Flipped-Out Marlin. Mystillia, Sassysasha, Lordkalvan.

Third: Detestable Bluegill. Swabbiesue, Ailuros (name being an Egyptian cat goddess)

Fourth: Short Piranha. Zgirl, Redshell.

Fifth: Skillful Hagfish. Jandor, (blood)!

Sixth: Well-Known Sprat. Saltylady, Redshell.

Also needed was "which part of the puzzle did ye like most?"
Asides the quotes from first and second place winners already given above, three entries mentioned something about the "likes cats" clue, one that she didn't need to run all over the shops this time, one the greenie stuck in the middle of the puzzle after he thought he had all the names involved, one liked hunting through the flag and crew pages, and one liked figuring out what order the brigands were fought.
[Nov 28, 2005 5:52:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Irelay

Yummy, poe! :D
Irelay l Otherwhen l Water Sleeps
Mightnight Ocean pirate since August '04
[Nov 28, 2005 1:44:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates