• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4239 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Saraqael

The Bounty Hunter, or Pirate Hunter, your call..... Reply to this Post

P'haps ye Devs might wanna c'nsider allowin' ye crews ter put Bounty's on anudder crews head? I aint entirely sure how dis on might werk, but I be sure as sure ken be dat a little discussion round 'ere parts could accomplish such a feat, aye ;)
[Jun 12, 2003 6:36:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    SaraqaelDragon [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

I had a similar thought.. Reply to this Post

which would have the contract be via the archipeligo's navy, which players could join in the hunt as a job (which I should think would pay a bit more, seeing as how it'd be more about their sword fighting skills). Haven't really had the chance to flesh it all out in my mind, but maybe this'll get someone else's mental cogs turning.
----------------------------------------
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Survivor of Old Spice & Nyx's Scions
Officer of Black Death
[Jun 12, 2003 8:23:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Re: The Bounty Hunter, or Pirate Hunter, your call..... Reply to this Post

I'd almost bet on something like this being included in the final version of island governments, with contracts being posted by a king/queen.
[Jun 12, 2003 9:03:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Quickpull

Yeah, I think this may be a part of the ongoing development in the game's 'story'. I could deffinetly see someone puttin' a bounty out fer a crew as part of an in game event, though I don't think any player or crew should be able to issue one.
Kendric, Fleet Officer of the Pheonix Warriors
[Jun 13, 2003 5:24:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Ely wrote: 
I'd almost bet on something like this being included in the final version of island governments, with contracts being posted by a king/queen.

Quickpull wrote: 
I could deffinetly see someone puttin' a bounty out fer a crew as part of an in game event, though I don't think any player or crew should be able to issue one.

The kings/queens will be players...
[Jun 13, 2003 8:41:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Saraqael

Okay, don't mind me, but my Gears started working over time all of a sudden, and I'm about to spurn out to seperate ideas, but they are infact related to some extent!

Limit Bounty's to King/Queens only? BAH! Kings and Queens have teh right to declar bounty's upon a Crew/Vessel/Pirates head, but wouldn't it be a tad more exiting to have an 'underground' element for Captain's of crews to post bounty's on other crews heads etc???

Think like this; King/Queen posts bounty on Crew's head, they need not to play any puzzles to do so, they have almost limitless wealth anyway, so costs would mean nothing, and the word would be made so available, that everyone would know or be talking about it within hours!

Captain of OR on teh other hand, is geting sick and tired of 'accidental' Ship fights between his crew and a particular vessel of DD, the Mean Marlin(This example is in no way a true statement. Any coincidences occuring/resulting/affiliated with actual Yohoho! Events are purely accidental). So, he thinks to himself, what would be teh best way to get back at them, but not declare war???!!! EASY! Captain gets hisself some poe, goes and plays a Bounty Post puzzle, he gets three tries, and recieves teh best result from all three(or soemthing akin).

Anyhow, his poe is taken away and put into 'Limbo'. Any ships within 12 hours of teh post that manage to defeat DD's Mean Marlin, will be given a portion of teh bounty!!! ie. the poe that was put towards the bounty will be spread out among those ships that take those acts of revenge on teh Mean Marlin as teh Captain wanted. DD's Captain however, has logged in during those 12 crucial hours and has taken notice of the increased attention to MeanMarlin. DD's Captain wonders if there might be a bounty on hsi vessel, so goes and plays teh ???Anti-Bounty puzzle(maybe jsut teh same puzzle, but needs to score equal of higher than OR's Captain). Three attempts, and he scores excellent!!! Through the rumours and whatever snippets he can gather, he finds out that OR has posted the Bounty, from here on, its his call on relations with them, or he can simply keep ti to himself that he knows OR posted it!!! Underground Pirate activites =D "The Pirate Behind The Mask"

2. MY SECOND IDEA! I was thinking exactly what god would numerous attacks on a crew would do except losing poe and Units onboard their ships. I mean, you can quite easily sell off everything, divvy it all up and your safe pretty much form losign anything =( so.....how about we alter the damage indicators for ships? simply, if teh damage fills up the bar, then teh ship is given a critical flag. You can't repair this ship unless its in port. Naturally teh ship is gonig to sail slower than teh inhabitants of turtle island =P on teh way to port, the Mean marlin attracts so much attention, its given critical, makes it slower, attracts even more attention, and crawls along at about 1 league an hour!!! (not really, but you get teh idea.). Anyhow, it FINALLY reaches port, after losing jsut about everything onboard, maybe even a pirte or two =P For teh next three days, and at teh cost of more poe, maybe wood, materials etc, the ship cannot be taken out of port until its repaired =) revenge aquired.....
[Jun 14, 2003 8:59:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    SaraqaelDragon [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Like Nemo pointed out, Kings and Queens will be players, with pockets like everyone else has. Money will (or should) have an influence on the actions they take. If a player has the funds, they should be able to cut a deal with the local government and get a bounty posted. This is probably where most bounties would originate.

Also, there is still the option of back alley payments for a crew hit.

You do bring up a point that I have been mulling over; how to make a hit really count. I really can't think of anything that would make it all worth the trouble, be fair to both sides, AND not be exploitable.

Maybe a new "Privateering" ranking would motivate people to take missions posted by crowns simply to gain status?
[Jun 14, 2003 9:17:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
jollyroger23

Bountys sound like a good idea. Maybe a natorious pirate could have the navy after them or something, and not be allowed citezenship on islands.
-Tob
[Jun 14, 2003 3:11:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

jollyroger23 wrote: 
Maybe a natorious pirate could have the navy after them or something, and not be allowed citezenship on islands.

Notoriety for crews is coming. It can be a badge and a curse. Navies will certainly attack notorious pirates, and any possible bounties would have to take notoriety into account.

-Nemo
[Jun 15, 2003 3:10:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

bounties on ships? and notoriety... Reply to this Post

The bounty would certainly increase PvP, which right now is simply not profitable. However, I would recommend not putting it on a ship, but on either a particular pirate or a particular crew. For example, my crew has about 10 ships, so if there were a bounty on one, we could just take another. If there were bounties on all, we could order a new one.

Can we get some sort of positive notoriety for keeping the bandit population down? *grin*
[Jun 16, 2003 1:37:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: bounties on ships? and notoriety... Reply to this Post

muffy wrote: 
Can we get some sort of positive notoriety for keeping the bandit population down? *grin*

Indeed, both fame and infamy will be measurable values of your crew's piratical tendencies.
[Jun 16, 2003 1:48:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Ely wrote: 
You do bring up a point that I have been mulling over; how to make a hit really count. I really can't think of anything that would make it all worth the trouble, be fair to both sides, AND not be exploitable.

Right now, if you paid the right crew the right money, they could make the waters miserable for another crew...

However, this is mostly pointless since almost all player crews cry to the devs if they get attacked by a player ship. It is almost to the point now that all ship to ship fights should be made consentual. Ah, what a shame.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jun 16, 2003 8:14:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

Penndalla wrote: 
Right now, if you paid the right crew the right money, they could make the waters miserable for another crew...

Doubtful. A lot of factors, the fifteen minute attack limit especially, make it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to start a campaign of terror against another crew. While you can most certainly target and engage ships of a specific crew whenever you spot them, ruining a crew's livelihood or making it impossible for them to leave port are more or less out of the question.

However, this is mostly pointless since almost all player crews cry to the devs if they get attacked by a player ship. It is almost to the point now that all ship to ship fights should be made consentual. Ah, what a shame.

Wow. I sure hope you're being deliberately obtuse.
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[Jun 16, 2003 8:42:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

When it comes to carrying out grudgework- what about streetfights?
Ie- Pirate X from Crew Y goes walking along, I come stumbling out of a bar drunk, and beat him up and take his money. Then he goes and finds some of his crew, they gang up, beat me up, and steal my pants.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

That's what a lot of other games call ganking, and many players don't like it.

I think it's been said that on land fighting will be consensual only.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jun 23, 2003 5:04:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates