• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 266
Posts: 266   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28292 times and has 265 replies Next Thread
akaSnowpea

Avatar Art - Familiar Contest Reply to this Post

What: Creative Event in Conjunction with Beta Blast II
When: Entries must be received between 12:01 am (Pacific Time) Wednesday, September 28, 2005 and 12:01am (Pacific Time) Friday, October 14, 2005
Prizes: Top Prize will be a Monkey Familiar!! (Color will be winner's choice! No black or gold.)
Winning entries numbers 2 through 10 will also receive SPECIAL prizes not available in regular game play!!

Things My Pirate Does Behind My Back

Have you ever noticed that although your pirate has 3 jobs you never seem to get 24 hours of labor out of him or her?
I recently did some spying and found that my pirate has been very active when I'm not logged in to Puzzle Pirates! What does YOUR pirate do when you aren't around? We have good reason to suspect they aren't working the distilling puzzle!

Send a spy out and let us know what you discover - no matter how surprising it may be!! (R rated submissions will not be eligible for prizes)

Our ultimate goal is to compile a Top Ten List.

Your entry will consist of 2 parts:

FIRST:
Create a "snapshot" of your avatar taken outside the parameters of YPP, caught in the act of ???

This is to be accomplished using the photo manipulation software of your choice to place a screenie (or portrait) of yourself (and your mates if you like) in a memorable "work of art".

Use your imagination to come up with unusual locations and situations. The goal is to make us laugh, the louder the better!!! Extra points will be given if you can make a beverage come out of any judge's nose!

SECOND:
Write a clever caption or explanation to accompany the art;
again, the funnier the better. (Remember - we want a caption, not a story!)

Think original, think creative, fun or ridiculous! We want to be clear that the prizes will not necessarily go to the person with the most advanced program at their disposal.

Thumbnail

Full Size

Caption: I caught them riding Pirates of the Caribbean and laughing at how "fake" it was!

Judging:
Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges who will judge the entries blind.

Judging will be based on the following:

Originality, humor and creativity of the image as well as wit and appropriateness of the caption.

Adherence to the rules.

RULES:
Enter as often you like - only one prize per entrant.

Any words or marking within the entry that would allow the identity of the entrant to be discerned, either in the wording or artwork itself, will cause the entry to be disqualified.

Technical Rules:
Please e-mail a THUMBNAIL (no larger than 150x113 and 56K) with a link to a web location where we can find the final version. (If you need a place to store your image, with easy instructions on how to use it, you might try www.photobucket.com)

Size: Your Actual entry should meet these requirements: Jpg/Gif/Png files are allowed, maximum file size = 500K, width and height should be less than or equal to 300pixels.

Email thumbnail (and link) to: betablast@frontiernet.net
----------------------------------------
Hightop & Snowpea
Forever Betrothed

[Edit 4 times, last edit by akaSnowpea at Oct 1, 2005 2:17:59 AM]
[Sep 27, 2005 1:13:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StoneKrush

Re: Avatar Art - Familiar Contest Reply to this Post

What Ocean is the Familiar, it's a stupid question I know, but was just curious.....

Oh and can ye edit the portrait into pozes...?
SALMON from Cobalt- on Shanty Raidio
The Cross-Dressing Pirate
Salmon says, "Ahoy again"
Cleaver says, "Hello scumbag"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by StoneKrush at Sep 30, 2005 7:24:28 AM]
[Sep 30, 2005 7:23:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.shantyraidio.com/    ShantySalmon [Link]  Go to top 
DemonJnr

I was just wondering how do I take a snapshot?

I have asked people but they seam to tell me a wrong answer or they dont even know what a screenshot is
[Sep 30, 2005 1:20:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lord_Mogor

the 2-10 place prizes are?
"They'd already have the plank spank mark on their butts." Emerson, June 16th 2005
Come join us forum tarts at M-tos.da.ru/yppforum/
[Sep 30, 2005 2:24:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thematt

Just hit the Print Screen button for a full screenshot, or Alt+Print Screen if you just want the window you're looking at. Then open up an art program, like MS Paint, Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, etc and paste it in, either from the menus, or just a Ctrl+V.
-Tropican
[Sep 30, 2005 2:29:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akaSnowpea

What Ocean is the Familiar, it's a stupid question I know, but was just curious.....

Oh and can ye edit the portrait into pozes...?

The familiar will be awarded on Midnight Ocean ... and it's not a stupid question at all. It you don't play on Midnight you wouldn't necessarily know where Beta Island is!

As to the other question - you can do what every you want with your avatar - you can pose them, dress them ... give them FEET if you want to. I used portraits rather than screenies because the screenie shots are always from above and in this case looked kinda funky.

Hope this answers your questions.

Good Luck!

~ Smiles ~
Snowpea

Hightop & Snowpea
Forever Betrothed

[Edit 1 times, last edit by akaSnowpea at Sep 30, 2005 3:48:18 PM]
[Sep 30, 2005 3:47:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akaSnowpea

the 2-10 place prizes are?

OOPS! Forgot to answer this one!

The prizes are still being decided but will include:

~ A Monkey
~ Purple Rags (Winner can actually CHOOSE the color of the rags - just not black or gold)
~ A Sloop with a Vanity Rename - This needs to be in the format of:<adjective> <reference to player>fish. For example, using my name it could be, Snowy Peafish or the Sweet Snowpeafish, but not Snowpea's Ship.
~ A Sleeping Pig

I'll post more when I'm sure of them!

Thanks for asking!

Snowpea

Hightop & Snowpea
Forever Betrothed

[Sep 30, 2005 4:07:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kodisku

Yar, I would enter, though I don't have a pirate on Midnight ocean. :( Ah well, is one allowed to enter just fer fun?+
Nakira, dear, please remember that you only have TWO legs in your present form, not four. ~Aggi
"More comics!" ~Nemo
Nakira, face-plant magnet and pink fury of the Colbalt Ocean, and Kodisku, Conscience of Nakira on Midnight.
[Sep 30, 2005 4:29:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thematt

When you say Avatar, can we use homemade ones
<---(like this), commissioned ones, and the like, or is it strictly for portriats and in game pirates? Your recent post made me less confident than I was at first about photoshoping ol' hand drawn Trop.
-Tropican
[Sep 30, 2005 6:46:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Several months ago, Artemis wrote: 
- Literary/artistic forum event (for any ocean)

Besides the obvious funny & heartwrenching situations I can put a variety of pirates into, is there any reason I, as a Viridianite, should enter this contest? I do realize it's part of the Beta Blast, but should a forum event be exclusive to any particular ocean?
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Sep 30, 2005 7:06:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Does the pirate in the snapshot have to be your own avatar?

If a player doesn't have a portrait in the pose they need, but a mate does, could they borrow that portrait (with permission from the borrowed pirate)) to enter this contest?
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Sep 30, 2005 7:16:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Katryvna

I probably should have asked earlier, but, ok, the familiar is only for Midnight, got that. How about the other prizes?

~Kat
whom foolishly didn't read all the details before getting excited.
Katryvna on all Oceans

SO The Birds ~Viridian

~I'm so Crewless~
[Sep 30, 2005 7:48:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akaSnowpea

To Thematt:
In order to keep the playing field a little more even we're allowing only in game avatars. These can be in the form of screenies or portraits. They can be altered to suit you but we need to be able to recognize them as YPP pirates.

To Squashbuckle:
The avatar you use does not need to be your own but you may want to ask permission of the owner of the one you want to use.
We want this contest to be open to the whole of Midnight Ocean and in order for mates of the judges to enter they need not to look like their typical selves. We are being very careful to keep the entries anonymous.

To all those on other oceans who want to participate:
I'm sorry mates, but this is part of a Midnight Ocean Event. What kind of a hostess would I be if I allowed people from other oceans to walk off with the best prizes? I have edited the original post for clarity.
The good news is that if this goes well there may be similar events planned for your own oceans - or maybe even all oceans combined.

I plan to post the winning entries and possiblly others too ... if you'd like the chance to see your entry posted - please enter ... I'd lovet to see your work!

Snowpea

Hightop & Snowpea
Forever Betrothed

[Edit 1 times, last edit by akaSnowpea at Sep 30, 2005 7:56:58 PM]
[Sep 30, 2005 7:53:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akaSnowpea

To all those on other oceans who want to participate:
I'm sorry mates, but this is part of a Midnight Ocean Event. What kind of a hostess would I be if I allowed people from other oceans to walk off with the best prizes? I have edited the original post for clarity.
The good news is that if this goes well there may be similar events planned for your own oceans - or maybe even all oceans combined.

I plan to post the winning entries and possiblly others too ... if you'd like the chance to see your entry posted - please enter ... I'd lovet to see your work!

Snowpea

See Snowpea.
See Snowpea back up.

Everything I said up there ... ummm ... let's all just forget I said that, okay?!

I am extremely happy to announce that the Avatar Art Contest is now officially open to ALL OCEANS!!!

I'm sorry for the confusion and thank those of you who brought the issue to our attention. I appreciate your interest in participating and look forwar to seeing your entries!!!!

~ Smiles ~
Snowpea

Hightop & Snowpea
Forever Betrothed

[Oct 1, 2005 6:25:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StoneKrush

I am extremely happy to announce that the Avatar Art Contest is now officially open to ALL OCEANS!!!

I'm sorry for the confusion and thank those of you who brought the issue to our attention. I appreciate your interest in participating and look forwar to seeing your entries!!!!

~ Smiles ~
Snowpea

Wohoo... /me gest to work on his entery....
SALMON from Cobalt- on Shanty Raidio
The Cross-Dressing Pirate
Salmon says, "Ahoy again"
Cleaver says, "Hello scumbag"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by StoneKrush at Oct 1, 2005 7:29:57 AM]
[Oct 1, 2005 7:29:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.shantyraidio.com/    ShantySalmon [Link]  Go to top 
Katryvna

Thanks so much Snowpea :)
Katryvna on all Oceans

SO The Birds ~Viridian

~I'm so Crewless~
[Oct 1, 2005 8:19:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thematt

In order to keep the playing field a little more even we're allowing only in game avatars. These can be in the form of screenies or portraits. They can be altered to suit you but we need to be able to recognize them as YPP pirates.

I have no problem using my portrait, I was just looking out for newer pirates who might not be able to afford one yet. That being said, I'm not trying to make any waves, just wanted to clarify before too many people got underway.
-Tropican
[Oct 1, 2005 9:13:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akaSnowpea

As stated above anyone is welcome, with permission, to use the portrait of a mate rather than their own, for whatever reason.

Thank you for thinking of it.

Snowpea

Hightop & Snowpea
Forever Betrothed

[Oct 1, 2005 9:55:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
popeye09

What do ye mean by e-mail ye a thumbnail? How do ye put a picture in an e-mail? Or do ye just want a small file (150x113, no bigger than 56K) as an attachment ter the e-mail, an' a link ter the hosted bigger piccy?

I've made a piccy, but am puzzled by the techiness....
[Oct 1, 2005 3:35:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

I have no problem using my portrait, I was just looking out for newer pirates who might not be able to afford one yet. That being said, I'm not trying to make any waves, just wanted to clarify before too many people got underway.

This is to be accomplished using the photo manipulation software of your choice to place a screenie (or portrait) of yourself (and your mates if you like) in a memorable "work of art".

they can use game screen shots of their characters as well, if reading this correctly, portraits just tend to blend better with realistic surroundings
and for scaling to required heights.

If needed I can provide cutouts of pirate portraits, cuz thinking it's
more along the lines of the photo+caption...it just adds more to
the scenario if was actually your pirate.
[Oct 1, 2005 6:15:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

What do ye mean by e-mail ye a thumbnail? How do ye put a picture in an e-mail? Or do ye just want a small file (150x113, no bigger than 56K) as an attachment ter the e-mail, an' a link ter the hosted bigger piccy?

I've made a piccy, but am puzzled by the techiness....

Aye, attach yer smaller pic to the email message, but do NOT attach yer larger pic. The larger pic needs to be posted on a website like photobucket.

We have been accepting entries where both pics are on a website, but it takes me an extra step or three to process them. (Snowpea's running the event and organizing the judging, I'm just the flunky who is posting the entries on a website fer the judges to see em, with the names stripped off so the judges don't vote fer hearties over strangers).

EDIT: I reply when I process the submissions. If ye don't get a reply to yer email within 24 hours, better try sending it again. So far three of the entries have ended up in me junk mail folder (but those had almost no words in the email message, and I *did* find them).
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tcarr at Oct 1, 2005 7:19:10 PM]
[Oct 1, 2005 6:37:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akaSnowpea

Complete List of Prizes

In descending order:

1 Monkey Familiar
2 Sleeping Pig
3 Sleeping Turtle
4 Sleeping Piglet
5 Treasure Chest
6 Throne
7 Cutter with Special Re-Name
8 Vanity Re-Named Sloop
9 Portrait with the OM of your Choice
10 Complete set of Tourney Furniture

Hope these FABULOUS prizes inspire you to the heights of your creative genius!!

Snowpea

Hightop & Snowpea
Forever Betrothed

[Oct 2, 2005 2:27:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jojami

*sigh* it wouldve been nicer if there were limited prices for viridianites like me.. but oh well ill just enter for the heck of it.. =)
[Oct 3, 2005 9:56:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Do you want more information from us like our pirate name. etc? Would ye rather have forum name or pirate name or both?
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Oct 3, 2005 10:46:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

The winners will have to provide a pirate name (and ocean) so that the prizes can be delivered. For the moment, we have decided that an email addy is enough - we can contact ye via email later if we have to.

Tis fine to include yer pirate name on the email submission, as long as it is not part of the picture or the caption. I'm the only one who sees the email messages, and I'm not one of the judges.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Oct 3, 2005 3:41:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dartraider

I got a pic that really can't be 300 x 300 because of details. If i made it like that it would spoil all the fun. Mine is 750x500, and 76 K. can it enter? Pleeeease?
Cris- Captain of Leviathans Requiem on Sage.

Goblin Wacking is fun, lack of variation isn't.
[Oct 5, 2005 11:17:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

I got a pic that really can't be 300 x 300 because of details. If i made it like that it would spoil all the fun. Mine is 750x500, and 76 K. can it enter? Pleeeease?

No. Make sacrefices, cut off the good bits.

:)
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Oct 5, 2005 12:23:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
dartraider

No. Make sacrefices, cut off the good bits.

:)

NOOOO YOUR SABOTAGING ME! :P
Cris- Captain of Leviathans Requiem on Sage.

Goblin Wacking is fun, lack of variation isn't.
[Oct 5, 2005 12:38:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

NOOOO YOUR SABOTAGING ME! :P

Yes. Yes I am.
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Oct 5, 2005 12:44:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

If anyone needs cutouts :)

http://heroinmonkey.com/pp/cutouts/male.png
http://heroinmonkey.com/pp/cutouts/female.png
http://heroinmonkey.com/pp/cutouts/couple.png
[Oct 5, 2005 1:09:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 266   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates