• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 22
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3239 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Markoman

Putting the fun back in the game. Reply to this Post

Now, today I logged on. Earlier, I was upset because I couldn't figure out a homework problem. So, I logon, trying to unwind. I tried navy ships, which helps sometimes. Guess what? Carp didn't work right. I didn't get a putty bucket until I had sailed to the destination isle and back. I didn't get a P peice until I finished two holes. Not fun

So, then I try bilge. Yucky combos for about half the trip. Sails isn't much better ... and guns is awful. So, having succesfully lowered my ratings (which didn't help my mood), I tried b-nav with the navy. Now, I job a lot, and have a high sea battle rating. But I don't know a thing about navving my own ship. So, I spawn green imperials, and I had able sailors. I get stranded, and full of holes. Not fun

I tried playing card games, same bad luck.

So, what's the point Mark? Gonna rant all day? No, not at all. My point is that there are days when I want a challenge and there are days I want to unwind from a stressful day. At this point, I don't care if this has been suggested before, but is there a way to make an easy mode for the puzzles? So that I can just play no brainer moves and make shiny combos appear? I don't care if it's an unrated thing, perhaps an non-profit thing even. I just want it there to relax. Perhaps a version for card games, where you play the same set of hands over and over. Make it unrated, unwagered, whatever. I don't care about if I'm making money if I'm not having fun.

I want it so I can just idle around and play something fun, then head off and pillage on the challenging sailing board. It's a win-win situation, and fun all the way around.
----------------------------------------
Markozeta
[Aug 20, 2005 12:26:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
ryboy5

Re: Putting the fun back in the game. Reply to this Post

I know where youre coming from.

I get tired of always feeling like I need to do my best and try hard, which is a reason I don't take ships out and run them much.

I like to just chill and play a game or something.

Maybe there could be swordfighting bots that never drop on you so you can have fun building combos! Just for fun, it would give you a ranking like letters or points everytime you get a combo. That sure would be fun to me.

I do like to try my best and have a challenge, but some stuff like this for pure amusement would be... well... amusing.
==Gameboy, nerd of the Seas==
Those are some nice pants.

Poseidon says, "then tell me THAT ONE!! PWEESE"
[Aug 20, 2005 12:36:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.double-u-double-u-double-u-dot-dot-com.com [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Maybe there could be swordfighting bots that never drop on you so you can have fun building combos! Just for fun, it would give you a ranking like letters or points everytime you get a combo. That sure would be fun to me.

How about if you could choose to reset the training bots?

That's a serious suggestion, by the way. Anytime I switch to a new sword, I'd like to run the trainers again from the beginning; alas, the only one that repeats is the one you haven't defeated yet.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 20, 2005 1:10:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

How about if you could choose to reset the training bots?

That's a serious suggestion, by the way. Anytime I switch to a new sword, I'd like to run the trainers again from the beginning; alas, the only one that repeats is the one you haven't defeated yet.

I'll agree with you there. It's not that I want a no brainer win, just a way to adjust the difficulty (i.e. implement it with somethin' like knock my rating down for the moment, make it unrated.) Perhaps put easier mode on navy ships only. Nothing much, really. Just navy stuff. So the game can be fun again, for some of us who really only logon to puzzle.
Markozeta
[Aug 20, 2005 8:05:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

use a fresh alt? Puzzles are always easier with new alts.
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Aug 21, 2005 2:19:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CursedBurger

Hmm.

Reworking of many old suggestions (because the search appears to be broken, not giving me any hits on 'practice' before August 19th):

How about being able to purchase 'practice' duty stations, which would only show the lower-right-hand indicator, have no effect on your experience or rating, and never give you an indication of how well you did?
Are there any pirates on this ship?
And if they sober up,
they'll have us home by morning.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CursedBurger at Aug 21, 2005 9:08:23 AM]
[Aug 21, 2005 8:59:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

That's fun, but A.) It's temporary (gotta kill my alt and start again everytime I want to relax) and B.) I've gotta job my alt over if I want to talk, which is hard to do.

I liked cursedburger's suggestion. That way I could put a carp station in my house, and play carp whenever I want, without knowing how bad I did at it.
Markozeta
[Aug 21, 2005 11:27:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
jlgijsbers

While I can see your point, I think the answer is to just not care about ratings or poe or whatever.

To me, sometimes the fun is in knowing I can achieve Ult sails, bilge, sf, spades, drinking, guns, etc. Sometimes. Now look at my current stats. I lost sails and guns due to (fun!) solo pvping. I lost sf because I tried fighting while drunk tonight. Not to mention the 10k + black pants in wagers. Spades rating is in shambles because I chat more than watch my cards. SB? We recently pvped a wedding brig to give them some limes in our own special way. Bye bye Ult.

Go lazy pillage, go play random cards, go hang around on the docks and do nothing. It's relaxing and fun. :)
Blinkoing
Walking with pumas in Bolivia. Ex-cabin person of DyD.
[Aug 21, 2005 5:21:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jlgijsbers [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

There are other games out there. Play one of them.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by DaneT at Aug 21, 2005 7:14:35 PM]
[Aug 21, 2005 5:28:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

While I can see your point, I think the answer is to just not care about ratings or poe or whatever.

To me, sometimes the fun is in knowing I can achieve Ult sails, bilge, sf, spades, drinking, guns, etc. Sometimes. Now look at my current stats. I lost sails and guns due to (fun!) solo pvping. I lost sf because I tried fighting while drunk tonight. Not to mention the 10k + black pants in wagers. Spades rating is in shambles because I chat more than watch my cards. SB? We recently pvped a wedding brig to give them some limes in our own special way. Bye bye Ult.

Go lazy pillage, go play random cards, go hang around on the docks and do nothing. It's relaxing and fun. :)

I'll agree with you, and I did this for a long time. Until they invented scalable difficulty (i.e. the little stars). Now I have to worry about ratings, because otherwise the game gets awful. Slow guns, idiotic bilge combos, etc. Somedays I want those bilge combos to relax, most days I want a challenge. I don't like to booch, booch, booch, then have to pick it back up when I want a challenge a week later.

Also, it sucks to be booted out of what would prolly be a decent spades game just because your rating is to low. Unrated, unwagered spades would prolly encourage a lot of people to not boot a guy with a respected rating if he looks like he's been playing the game a while. Also, I know a few people who won't adopt your (in my opinion better) attitude towards the game. They just won't. I'm sure they'd really like this option.

And finally, I'll have to agree with you DaneT. After posting this I ran off to popcap and chuzzled for an hour. Go fuzzy little guys.
Markozeta
[Aug 21, 2005 7:03:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Christoban

So, what's the point Mark? Gonna rant all day? No, not at all. My point is that there are days when I want a challenge and there are days I want to unwind from a stressful day.

That's what alts are for.

I maintain a "only play while I'm drunk" alt. It's loads of fun.
game design wrote: 
..let's see, we have thing A and thing B, with thing B currently not implemented yet. Thing A leads to people stabbing themselves in the eye, as does thing B... but since A already exists..

[Aug 22, 2005 4:44:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Carp is NOT easier with a fresh alt. Carp is harder.

Carp is my worst duty station. Yet, before the star system, my personal best was MP 14. (No, I don't think I ever got above master on midnight, and usually the rank below master. No, it was Not sparkling -- barly yellow, usually red).

I could manage that because every time I filled two holes, I had two fresh new holes.

Now that doesn't happen. Now, if you start, you have very few additional holes.

I was suprised to see just how easy sailing is with fewer obsticles -- it was really easy to make a "Clear the whole board at once" drop. And bilge, well, 5 color bilge is easy.

Nav? Well, one target nav is easy, just not high scoring.

But carp? Starter carp is neither easy nor high scoring.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 23, 2005 1:20:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Shivver

Carp is NOT easier with a fresh alt. Carp is harder.

I don't find carp to be harder with a fresh alt (and I've been doing just that, on Sage, for the past few days). However, you're right, it's not easier.

And finally, I'll have to agree with you DaneT. After posting this I ran off to popcap and chuzzled for an hour. Go fuzzy little guys.

This was what I was going to suggest -- I usually play Popcap with YPP open in the background, for the chat. But I can't stand Chuzzles. Darn cute, but boring game. :) Insaniquarium all the way, or Pig Poker when I want video poker. ;) Zuma's great, too, though the deluxe version is boring.

However, to the point...

We get to have practice (though rated) crafting puzzles; why not duty puzzles? I love the idea of stations in the houses. Or maybe a "rec center" on the island with unrated versions of duty puzzles, for a small fee.
[Aug 23, 2005 1:34:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squeak22

I liked cursedburger's suggestion. That way I could put a carp station in my house, and play carp whenever I want, without knowing how bad I did at it.

What would be even neater would be if you could also set the difficulty of the station, so if you put a "practice" sail station in a home you could run on ultimate sails to practice clearing those boards. I know when I first got to ult sails, I kept dropping almost every day until I fought through those boards and got it all figured out.
Squeakbeard,
The Pirate King
ex-ex-ex-King of Dark Judgement(Merged into CT)
Proud owner of "Pequod"
[Aug 23, 2005 1:43:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

Not to sound like an ass but just because you had a bad day doesnt mean the game should be changed, if im not having a good day I dont play the game. If yoru not having a good pirating day its not toing to get any better, just take a day off from the game.
Don't pave me, please!
For real this time wrote: 
but I shall no longer take any active part in the game, on any ocean.

Join the local PPA - Puzzle Pirates Anonymous, coming to a town near you!
[Aug 23, 2005 1:57:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
Kaet

I had these same thoughts recently. As I've gotten better at the puzzles and they have ramped up in difficulty, what used to be fun has become a chore. I'm good enough to stay at the higher level, but I'm no longer having fun.

My idea was to be able to willingly accept a certain rank limit in the puzzles. For those people who want to enjoy the puzzle, they could find the rank they still enjoyed and mark that as their own personal "cap." They have to reach the cap themselves, they can't just start out there. Also, they could still drop below that rank, but they couldn't pass it.

There are probably gameplay issues with my idea, though, alas. Also, I'm not completely certain how much different the ranks are for the puzzles. I just know I feel like I'm working at them instead of enjoying them, now.
[Aug 23, 2005 3:10:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

What would be even neater would be if you could also set the difficulty of the station

This sounds good. And a nice sinky.
[Aug 23, 2005 3:17:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

What would be even neater would be if you could also set the difficulty of the station

This sounds good. And a nice sinky.

Hmm, could it be possible to put this for all puzzles (including crafting and navigation)?

I'd like the chance to distill at my own purchased still or make a few potions at the able skill level again inside my shack. Just for the heck of it. I'd almost go as far as asking for b-nav practice, but that doesn't seem resonable.
Markozeta
[Aug 24, 2005 6:46:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
zim_was_here

Man I would definatly buy a carp station perhaps a bilge, cannon and nav station :P

Quintillaz has been assigned the title of Builder in Dagger Revolution.
Juliah says, "because you "erect" things.... *giggles*"

wee howdypedia

Quintillaz
[Sep 14, 2005 11:19:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/zim_was_here    zim_was_here    zimwashere2 [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Man I would definatly buy a carp station perhaps a bilge, cannon and nav station :P

I knew this sounded familiar. Yeah, I'd buy that...along with the other "practice puzzle stations".
Epimetheus
Retired

[Sep 14, 2005 11:23:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zim_was_here

I knew this sounded familiar. Yeah, I'd buy that...along with the other "practice puzzle stations".

Every body has been asking for this ever since furniture came out. If you look on the main page it is written like 30 times.

Quintillaz has been assigned the title of Builder in Dagger Revolution.
Juliah says, "because you "erect" things.... *giggles*"

wee howdypedia

Quintillaz
[Sep 14, 2005 12:13:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/zim_was_here    zim_was_here    zimwashere2 [Link]  Go to top 
Tiernan

Yeah too bad your post in that thread came after this thread was started.
[Sep 14, 2005 12:26:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates