• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 37
Posts: 37   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3205 times and has 36 replies Next Thread
TheRack

"Super speed button for Distilling" (No its not what your thinking...) Reply to this Post

Just thinking, to save time, have a button which sends the rows going through the furnice faster.

Why do this? Well simply for when you have completed enough rows to complete the puzzle, its anoying waiting for the puzzle to float on through and complete its self. I'm sure the anyone who consistantly gets above CC^6 would love this, because they could do their first chain, send it through, build up however many rows they need for the second chain (which would be anywhere from another CC^6 right through to a CC^1 for somebody who has just hit an initial CC^11) and complete the puzzle rather than wait for it.

Could also have the added benifit of if players want to send the pieces through faster, in their hunt for Spice to add to the CC chain. (Although my preference would be for the button to be more of a Speed Finish button)

Optionally, the button would only become active when enough CCc rows to complete the puzzle were already set up... Although you could set it up so that it does no check for CC, and if you click it when its not there, you get whatever mess of a score you would get if you just let the puzzle play its self (Although this would need some sort of safeguard to prevent people abusing it by always clicking the button right at the start of the puzzle, and replaying the puzzle over and over in rapid time for whatever the stall is paying for a basic wage)
----------------------------------------
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Aug 18, 2005 3:36:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Re: "Super speed button for Distilling" (No its not what your thinking...) Reply to this Post

There is one, try your right mouse button.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Aug 18, 2005 3:41:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Re: "Super speed button for Distilling" (No its not what your thinking...) Reply to this Post

It actually took me at least a month to figure this out...then I saw it on a post about a day later. Talk about a "smack yourself in the forehead moment".
Epimetheus
Retired

[Aug 18, 2005 5:36:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi

Out of curiosity, what do Mac distillers do?
Nalanthi - A Blatant PvPer, War Monger and Officer of the Falcon's Fury.
-Midnight (Retired)
Tamman - Head of a Merchant Empire, and Strategist of Black Plague
-Viridian (Retired)
Nalanthi - Mercenary and scalawag.
-Malachite
[Aug 18, 2005 8:09:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Out of curiosity, what do Mac distillers do?

Use the MightyMouse ?
Epimetheus
Retired

[Aug 18, 2005 8:29:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Or the twin epiphanies of rotating and flipping carp pieces?

Faulkston,
shrugging
[Aug 18, 2005 8:59:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

The "X" key will send up peices right away.
[Aug 18, 2005 1:34:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
skington

Many Mac users have multi-button mice. It's just that Apple has never made one until recently, to avoid confusing people.
Leaddolphin, Captain of Serve No Porpoise, Valiant Prince on Cobalt. I want your Plaices!
The Vampire Muroni wrote: 
the hubby teases me when he catches me reading the back of shampoo bottles or the Thesaurus.

[Aug 18, 2005 4:53:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi

Many Mac users have multi-button mice. It's just that Apple has never made one until recently, to avoid confusing people.

I actually knew this, but does PP really map or let you map anything to command+click or ctrl+click?
Nalanthi - A Blatant PvPer, War Monger and Officer of the Falcon's Fury.
-Midnight (Retired)
Tamman - Head of a Merchant Empire, and Strategist of Black Plague
-Viridian (Retired)
Nalanthi - Mercenary and scalawag.
-Malachite
[Aug 18, 2005 5:31:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chainmaille

I'd say it's more like control-click is mapped to right-click than the other way around. I've yet to see a program that didn't recognize right-click on a Mac but did on a Windows machine.

Now, I would like to be able to use middle-click on a Mac for bnav. Haven't figured that one out yet.
Derakon - Black Plague on Viridian and Sage
[Aug 18, 2005 5:52:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Can someone remind me to read the docs next time...

How long has that been around for?

Period. End of story.

[Aug 19, 2005 1:29:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CursedBurger

Can someone remind me to read the docs next time...

How long has that been around for?

Since Distillery existed, I think?
Are there any pirates on this ship?
And if they sober up,
they'll have us home by morning.
[Aug 19, 2005 1:40:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ceryl

On a slightly related issue, maybe having puzzle speed related to your ranking, as in gunnery, might be a way of actually having a distilling difficulty curve. As puzzle where you can get 100% incredibles on and not be Ultimate is a bit silly. (Currently with dud pieces its actually harder for those beginning than experienced distillers.)
[Aug 19, 2005 1:46:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

On a slightly related issue, maybe having puzzle speed related to your ranking, as in gunnery, might be a way of actually having a distilling difficulty curve. As puzzle where you can get 100% incredibles on and not be Ultimate is a bit silly. (Currently with dud pieces its actually harder for those beginning than experienced distillers.)

Following on the sidetrack, I think having the speed tied to the ranking would be a nice improvment.

And speaking as somebody who just hit Ultimate in the entire ocean in the last week for the first time (And lost it tonight due to getting a CC^9 through a mix of bad play and bad luck immediatly followed by a forced CC^8 due to a Black wedged in between 2 spices... grrr) It appears that you need to average around about CC^11 to make Ultimate.... So its not quite at CC^12 every single freaking time to hit Ultimate, but its close (I would love to know if the top players are truely averageing a perfect CC^12 or if they are only around the CC^1.7 mark)

Period. End of story.

[Aug 19, 2005 3:13:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Le Bump rather than editing my last post.

Actually thinking about this last night (Damn it, yet another I thought I came up with a great idea only to have it already suggested)

Was thinking rather than tying it to rankings, have it tied to the standing behind the numbers, along the lines of....

Top 50%-25% Speed increase 10%
Top 25%-10% Speed increase 20%
Top 10%-5% Speed increase of 25%
Top 5% Speed increase of 30%.

To all you top 10 distillers, would a 30% speed increase still make it possible to hit CC^12, but make it an extreamly difficult task?

Period. End of story.

[Mar 12, 2006 4:29:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

Why punish people for being good at something?
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Mar 12, 2006 5:03:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Because in addition to going faster, it scores more points?

Hey, turn it in reverse. Beginners get a slower board, scoring fewer points.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Mar 12, 2006 7:03:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Actually, more so an idea to differentiate the people at the top end rather than it be a CC^12 grind to hit Ult, without effecting the lower tiers.

Period. End of story.

[Mar 12, 2006 8:20:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

I think there is a score cap on all the crafting puzzles. On Cobalt, the top few on the Ultimate list appear sorted by experience. I think that means their scores are all tied.
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Mar 12, 2006 11:00:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Nemo had this to say on increasing speed for higher ranks:
Nemo wrote: 
The increased speed is interesting, but I think the other way around might be better. Don't increase the speed unliterally for a rank, but just factor speed into the score. So, you can still puzzle at the maximum speed that suits you personally, but that speed affects your rank.

I like the sound of that, and I've since been using a stopwatch to see what it's like getting a CC^12 in a hurry. I found that the amount of white the board generates at the start and in the next few rows dramatically affects the time you can do it in, which suggests the clock should only start ticking after you send up the first CC.

Mlik wrote: 
I think there is a score cap on all the crafting puzzles. On Cobalt, the top few on the Ultimate list appear sorted by experience. I think that means their scores are all tied.

This has been discussed before too, and I agree with the consensus that emerged there - it's not that there's a top level, it's that lower experience counts for less. This is good, because it discourages people from just abandoning boards where they 'only' made a CC^11. (Although I personally still abandon the ones where an immovable non-white piece between two spice makes even a CC^10 impossible).
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Mar 13, 2006 1:43:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
AtheneNoctua

How about drastically increasing the penalty for wasting spices? Make the penalty exponential -- i.e. wasting the next spice would cost twice as much to your score as wasting the current spice.

EDIT: Or how about making the spice-wasting penalty standing-sensitive? Thus, an Able distiller wouldn't get penalized that much for wasting spices while an Ultimate distiller would take a relatively huge score hit for doing so?

[Edit 2 times, last edit by AtheneNoctua at Mar 13, 2006 8:05:29 AM]
[Mar 13, 2006 7:14:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jmucchiello

The simplest way to add variation to the top end of distilling is to give a point bonus for additional CC columns beyond the 12th. Just like shipbuilding has that 5 second period at the end where you can finish a long combo, when the 12th column goes up on distill, you can right click to send additional columns, thus crystal clears beyond 12 can score.

How much CC^13 and up are worth is left to playtesters on Ice if they decide to tweak the puzzle.
Colorbeard on all the Oceans
SO of Six Leagues Under (Midnight)
FO of SPAM (Cobalt)
[Mar 13, 2006 2:19:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thespian

And speaking as somebody who just hit Ultimate in the entire ocean in the last week for the first time (snip) It appears that you need to average around about CC^11 to make Ultimate....

Hmm. I've been averaging 11s, and getting up to the occasionally would-be-14, and sticking at legendary, for months now. Where's my darned Ult? :-)

Thes.

Thespian says, "you have a doll, you selfish meanie. I just have a vulva."
Peeteegee says, "Hey, I picked out the colours for your vulva."
Nemesis says, "I'm...leaving now."

[Mar 13, 2006 2:42:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
eguee

Averaging CC^12's... grrr... Where's my Ult??

Eugeney,
Pounding the Vir ults hard on the head
Everyone spells my
name incorrectly, it's a
g, and not a q.
You wrote: 
equee

Rightontime on Viridian
[Mar 13, 2006 4:03:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    I luv HWFO [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Problem with tieing it to wasted spice or ability to go CC^13-14 is that both have a large element of luck tied to them.

Period. End of story.

[Mar 14, 2006 1:38:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rhandom

Problem with tieing it to wasted spice or ability to go CC^13-14 is that both have a large element of luck tied to them.

You say this like it is a bad thing :)

Though, honestly, I do think that the wasted spice tweak would spread out the lower end of the CC^12's and being able to send rows at the end would raise the top end. Both together should spread out the top-end game nicely.
Hahvahd on Cerulean, Rhandy everywhere.

Once the pin is removed, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
[Mar 14, 2006 3:38:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Tweaking spices would only have a filtering effect if the bonus to not waste a spice were higher than the bonus for a CC10, CC11 or CC12 - because otherwise your only choice is to start sending up CCs as soon as you get to CC9, which means pretty much your entire screen is white except for one row. And the point at which that happens depends entirely on the random number generator, not skill. For it to be skill you would need to spread out the distilling board wider to include more cooumns.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Mar 14, 2006 4:02:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ihope127

That gave me an idea. Make the board *taller*.
No soy un número. ¡Soy un hombre gratis!
[Mar 14, 2006 5:04:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Now *there* is an interesting idea.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Mar 14, 2006 5:16:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Hmm... It would take longer to set up each row, but it would also be easier to pass things through. It's when the shape approaches a square that you have to oranges and browns to get them across. So making it taller means that it can be a couple more rows thick and still allows pieces to be pulled one at a time.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Mar 14, 2006 6:06:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 37   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates