• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 39
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7350 times and has 38 replies Next Thread
Welllingtion

Sailing and such. Reply to this Post

Hoy all, im a pirate in me crew, and im wondering if i get a sloop if i can sail it with just being a pirate. And if ye leave in the middle of the ocean, or in a reboot, what happens to your ship?
----------------------------------------
Wellingtion - Currently living on Malachite
[Jun 15, 2005 6:41:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homestarrunner.com/    Coolman2003306 [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

Re: Sailing and such. Reply to this Post

You must be an officer in your crew to sail your ship. Most crews have pretty reasonable promotion requirements, though, so ask your crew what you need to do to get there now, and you'll be prepared.

If you have to abandon your ship in the middle of a voyage it stops and waits for 30 minutes - during which time, assuming it's not locked, another officer from your crew could hop aboard and bring it home for you. After 30 minutes, it resets and jumps to the last port it was in.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Jun 15, 2005 6:46:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
Heygabe

Do you lose the contents of the hold when the ship resets?
--Watching the Mad Professor from a distance
If we are steadfast in our resolve to have fun, then fun we will have.
[Jun 15, 2005 6:47:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

jasandrea wrote: 
If you have to abandon your ship in the middle of a voyage

Not advisable. Try to hit port soon, otherwise you could lose booty (?) or sometimes booch the system and lock the ship out to everyone until a reboot... hehe.
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Jun 15, 2005 6:48:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

Heygabe wrote: 

No, but if the boat isn't stopped at a league point when you abandon (the turn about button is still showing) the boat is still attackable by brigands or other players.
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Jun 15, 2005 6:50:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
Welllingtion

Ok, thanks Guys.
[Jun 15, 2005 9:24:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homestarrunner.com/    Coolman2003306 [Link]  Go to top 
dtsazza

Heygabe wrote: 

No, but the booty is emptied. I learnt this the hard way this morning - though it was just a couple of briggies while navving, so it was only a few hundred PoE.
Dtsazza
Fleet Officer, The Devil's Own
Viridian
[Jun 15, 2005 7:19:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SpinalT

dtsazza wrote: 
Heygabe wrote: 

No, but the booty is emptied. I learnt this the hard way this morning - though it was just a couple of briggies while navving, so it was only a few hundred PoE.

You shouldnt have lost it, it just gets thrown into the hold of the vessel.
Playing it at 11 since 1984!
[Jun 15, 2005 11:40:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
narche

Mlik wrote: 
No, but if the boat isn't stopped at a league point when you abandon (the turn about button is still showing) the boat is still attackable by brigands or other players.
Wow... has anyone ever PvP'd an empty ship?
GDI
Viridian
[Jun 17, 2005 7:22:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

the catch is that if people start jumping off the ship, it will turn that ship's might ring blue to you and you would get blackshipped if you attacked it.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jun 17, 2005 7:33:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Ok, I'm going to have my alt test this out tonight.

I am nearly certain that IF you lose power or something and your ship is lost at sea, and you can not return before the ship is auto-ported, you do lose everything in your "booty" but not in your "hold" and the booty items are NOT transfered over to your hold. I seem to recall this happening to me in at least 2 power outages.

I could be wrong, so I'll go win a battle or two and then test it out. I'd imagine they have NO choice but to do it this way, too. I mean, think about it...if you have the option to reach a league point without being engaged, whisk home and go to bed and know that your ship will be autoported and all your booty and supplies safe, that's a pretty darn big exploit, isnt it???

I can see all manner of pirates who simply get tired mid pillage and log off, or even ones having a bad run and starting to lose everything, so they log off to preserve what remains rather than finish their journey. Highly exploitable...anybody else want to run a concurrent test?
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Jun 17, 2005 10:32:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

It's on my list of stuff to test as well, let me know when you're running this and I'll hop along
[Jun 17, 2005 1:08:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
dtsazza

SpinalT wrote: 
You shouldnt have lost it, it just gets thrown into the hold of the vessel.

imwamphyr wrote: 

I am nearly certain that IF you lose power or something and your ship is lost at sea, and you can not return before the ship is auto-ported, you do lose everything in your "booty" but not in your "hold" and the booty items are NOT transfered over to your hold.

And the winner is... SpinalT! The contents of the booty were in fact in the hold, when I checked.

Yes, it's kind of exploitable... but abandoning a ship when you're OICing, assumed it's not empty, is heavily frowned upon by both other players and the devs. Most crews will strip you of officerhood if they find out you did so deliberately, and I'm sure I've read before that OMs will consider banning someone for repeatedly doing this.

And that's not worth testing...
Dtsazza
Fleet Officer, The Devil's Own
Viridian
[Jun 17, 2005 6:56:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Not to mention that on certain oceans you'll get well and truly hunted if you do it more than once....
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jun 17, 2005 7:09:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

I just tested it, if your ship has to whisk to port then any poe in the booty is lost.

Please explain.
[Jun 21, 2005 2:31:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

It appears that if there's poe in the booty during a reboot, the booty is autodivvied. If a ship simply resets into port after 30 min and is unloaded from memory, it looks like the booty is dumped directly overboard. I'm not sure whether this is intentional or an oversight, I'll get back to you on that tomorrow.
[Jun 21, 2005 3:18:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

dtsazza wrote: 

Yes, it's kind of exploitable... but abandoning a ship when you're OICing, assumed it's not empty, is heavily frowned upon by both other players and the devs. Most crews will strip you of officerhood if they find out you did so deliberately, and I'm sure I've read before that OMs will consider banning someone for repeatedly doing this.

And that's not worth testing...

No it's not all bad, if I get a large ship damaged and then lose a lot of green jobbers, I make everyone abandon ship at league point if I think I will lose more money limping back home. Simply pay all the jobbers some of my personal POE and I tell them to get lost. Maybe it's not intended but it's worse to force a bunch of new players on a 1 hour limp back to port getting attacked by every ship out there and never getting bilge back down.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Jun 21, 2005 3:23:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Alright, I have the answer. It's deliberate, if everyone leaves a ship in the middle of the ocean, and it resets into port, the poe and commods in the booty chest are dumped overboard, and are not distributed to players or to the hold of the ship. I'll make it so that it's logged to the vessel records that the vessel was abandoned, and all poe in the booty was lost.
[Jun 22, 2005 5:12:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Since Muroni isn't around right now and probably doesn't have the guts to say it herself, I'll speak on her behalf.

TOLD YOU SO.

Wasn't directed to you btw Liz, just everyone else. =P
[Jun 22, 2005 5:33:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

/me dons scuba gear and swims around at the bottom of the harbor with a big ol' net.

I like this solution. A lot. Thanks for clearing up the mystery, Liz.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jun 22, 2005 7:30:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Muroni would like everyone to know that she did, in fact, have the balls to say the above earlier comment. However, seeing as how she's repeatedly said this to me but not posted here yet, she apparently doesn't have the balls to tell you that she has the balls.
[Jun 22, 2005 12:39:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Welllingtion

Not alot of people knew this did they? Mabye it should be stickied..
[Jun 23, 2005 2:56:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homestarrunner.com/    Coolman2003306 [Link]  Go to top 
Crotty

Does the same happen when you port & don't divy?

If not, this implementation doesn't fix the problem it seems to have been addressing.
[Jun 23, 2005 3:00:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Crotty wrote: 
Does the same happen when you port & don't divy?

If not, this implementation doesn't fix the problem it seems to have been addressing.
No, if you port the booty gets auto divied. If you go to an island and don't port (let it idle out at sea, even if right at the island league point), when it resets to its last league point the poe gets tossed.

*almost done paying people from that run where the poe got tossed*
[Jun 23, 2005 3:53:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

grumble grumble grumble.

Ok, I can see the exploit avoidance here. "We just won KB". "We just foraged gold dust".

100% loss? Can we petition for only 50% loss? (That is a question, note :-)
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Jun 24, 2005 10:33:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Welllingtion

If 50% doesn't work try 75% , I don't see why not.
[Jun 24, 2005 10:41:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homestarrunner.com/    Coolman2003306 [Link]  Go to top 
SeattleBrian

perhaps dump the comms, but not the poe. Then people couldn't exploit it to whisk blood or gold to safety, but people don't lose everything if they are disconnected, spill hot tea in their lap, or have a cat barf on their leg (yes, I've had all happen to me).
[Jun 24, 2005 10:25:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

100%, get your ship to safety or don't. And yes, the blood whisking thing may be a problem. I doubt gold is unless you managed to win it off another player.
[Jun 25, 2005 3:15:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scr3w_up

port Reply to this Post

if your boat have damage and max water and ur in port is there any way to get those damage and water down without doing any sailing ????
[Jun 25, 2005 8:58:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Welllingtion

Yes it fixes it's self in Port, im not sure how long though.
[Jun 25, 2005 9:08:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homestarrunner.com/    Coolman2003306 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates