• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 39
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7673 times and has 38 replies Next Thread
Popper

Ships, shoppes and decay Reply to this Post

Have I got this right - things the little people buy, clothes, swords decay, but ships and shoppes do not?

This doesn't seem right. Money sinks should hit those with money as well as those without. Shoppes, if they aren't being run profitably (to cover a maintenance charge) ought to close. Perhaps they should be cheaper to buy if there is a maintenance charge.

Ships really ought to suffer a little more by being hit by cannon. A ship I was jobbing on attacked the black ship the other day - damage 95%, bilge 100%. No big deal, we patched it up and carried on. I don't care much about the black ship anymore. Here's what I suggest - when damage exceeds 50% there is permanent damage to the ship (with each subsequent cannon or rock), reflected in a decrease in the efficiency of carpentry. The ship then has a condition, and the hopeless captains might end up with seives, and have to employ more carpenters than sailors.

When bilge exceeds 50% goods and money should start to disappear from the hold and booty, sinking to the bottom of the sea.
[Oct 20, 2003 12:48:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Ships, shoppes and decay Reply to this Post

Your idea to hit the people with money only hurts the people without it. The crews that scrimp and save to get their one ship or shoppe do not need it to go under after a little adversity.
[Oct 20, 2003 1:04:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Shop maintainence and long-term damage Reply to this Post

Shop maintainence, in commodities and labour (gold). On the list.

Ship long-term damage: the more you get repeatedly temporarily damaged, your ship accumulates long-term damage. It needs to be taken to dry dock for repairs, or it begins to fill with bilge regardless of the 'ordinary' damage. Dry dock, at the shipwright, costs gold and requires commodities. On the list.

Goods and money from the hold sinking to the depths? Priceless.
[Oct 20, 2003 1:10:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

This leads me to believe that eventually ships will be able to sink without a compitant Captain just through time of sailing. . .? If so I would just like to add my own 'Priceless'
----------------------------------------
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Oct 20, 2003 3:20:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Speaking of sunken treasure, when do we get our submarine Cleaver?*wink wink*

Parthanos
Captain of the greatest crew in the seas.
King of the honorable and just flag Imperio.

Retired

Adversus solem ne loquitor
[Oct 20, 2003 5:39:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Lord_Marquis

Forget the submarine... i want an ironclad.

Moniter, meet merrimac! merrimac, meet monitor!
[Oct 20, 2003 6:31:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

I was going to say ironclad, but the vision of the Nautilus in me head made me say submarine:)

Retired

[Oct 20, 2003 6:56:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

Popper wrote: 
No big deal, we patched it up and carried on. I don't care much about the black ship anymore.

This is the kind of talk that makes Cleaver code up things worse than the black ship.

What's worse than the black ship, you ask? Not sure... of the top of my head... Barney, Police Academy 7:Mission to Moscow, Katie Couric, the designated hitter rule, Thomas Kincade paintings, and Gigli.

HuskyTed
[size=9](yes, I saw Gigli... no one is more ashamed than I)
Llama's like candy coated bunny holding a daisy and a puppy in one hand and a kitten in the other nice -Misery

[Oct 20, 2003 2:20:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

Re: Shop maintainence and long-term damage Reply to this Post

Cleaver wrote: 
Goods and money from the hold sinking to the depths? Priceless.

Ye know what's going to happen if ye *do* implement that, right?

Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates Forum Index -> Game Design -> WHEN CN WEE GO DIVING FOR BUREID TRESUR

Cleever i lost 3213980000 gold the uthur day will i B able 2 go diving andget it back PLZ!!! I thnk thees shuld b implimentid RGTAWAY.

*ahem* Come to think of it... an underwater option would be cool. Lost civilisations, a puzzle game to determine how long your pirate's air lasts...
(/me runs and hides)
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Oct 20, 2003 2:29:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: Shop maintainence and long-term damage Reply to this Post

DrunknBfly wrote: 
*ahem* Come to think of it... an underwater option would be cool. Lost civilisations, a puzzle game to determine how long your pirate's air lasts...

On my List.
[Oct 21, 2003 2:43:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Even better, how about a society of mer folk or something along those lines. Different cultures and peoples would be great for flag wars, exploration, etc. The ability to play a mer person would be cool as well.

Speaking of underwater, a dredge net on a boat would be kinda fun...drag it along the bottom, see what scrap ye can haul in.

Retired

[Oct 21, 2003 5:11:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Scrap, or, for a bit of risk, a veritable skelly army that was walking along the ocean floor on their way to invade somewhere!
[Oct 21, 2003 5:12:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Devonin wrote: 
Scrap, or, for a bit of risk, a veritable skelly army that was walking along the ocean floor on their way to invade somewhere!

Aye, or say if ye were to dredge over a big rock, it would break your net and cause damage to the ship (or if they ever include sinking, perhaps it would have a chance of sinking ones vessel).

Of course with great risk would conversly come reward:)

Retired

[Oct 21, 2003 5:22:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Akmedic wrote: 
Aye, or say if ye were to dredge over a big rock, it would break your net and cause damage to the ship

Or at the very least, drag behind you and slow your speed considerably
[Oct 21, 2003 5:23:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Devonin wrote: 
Akmedic wrote: 
Aye, or say if ye were to dredge over a big rock, it would break your net and cause damage to the ship

Or at the very least, drag behind you and slow your speed considerably

Aye good idea. Perhaps even the act of dredging could have a puzzle, maybe even one that required two people working on conjunction, or even say needing a minimum crew to be able to acomplish the act. I'm invisioning a fleet of dredge monkeys and Im loving it:)

Retired

[Oct 21, 2003 5:25:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Speaking of sea fairing, allthough we be pirates, I would like to see more merchant options, as well as perhaps even whailing and fishing (I can see it now, tons of piratey whale protestors standing at the docks while we toe some giant whale carcass into the docks:).

Retired

[Oct 21, 2003 5:28:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I think whaling wouldn't be great. Everybody pretends to love their crappy songs (I mean, come on . . . they sound like they were recorded under water), and they're mammals, which means they care about their young and such.

I personally don't enjoy fishing for SO many reasons, but I don't expect others to feel the same way. I'm sure there must be a fun way to simulate fishing. And maybe fish are attracted to old man's beard . . .
[Oct 21, 2003 5:42:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

homullus wrote: 
I think whaling wouldn't be great. Everybody pretends to love their crappy songs (I mean, come on . . . they sound like they were recorded under water), and they're mammals, which means they care about their young and such.

I personally don't enjoy fishing for SO many reasons, but I don't expect others to feel the same way. I'm sure there must be a fun way to simulate fishing. And maybe fish are attracted to old man's beard . . .

Aye well, allthough in the real world I may be all about the whale, I say serve em up twice in these lands!

Im thinking one could either fish as an individual, or perhaps use the net as a fishing net and sell the haul. It would be a way to earn poe aside from pillage, and for newer captains it would allow for an income while the crew builds their skills and what not and gets used to ship operations. Same goes for whaling, or any other ocean fairing job or related task.

Retired

[Oct 21, 2003 5:55:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

AkMedic wrote: 
Aye well, allthough in the real world I may be all about the whale, I say serve em up twice in these lands!

I'm rather nervous to say that ever since I read Moby Dick I've been really keen on whaling, too. Normally I don't approve of games that are about socially rephrehensible things (I don't think much of GTA, for example... great game, I'm sure, but not my cup of tea). However, in this case, the romance of Ahab and the white whale got me. Well, I suppose we'll have Kraken's for that.

I'm thinking one could either fish as an individual, or perhaps use the net as a fishing net and sell the haul. It would be a way to earn poe aside from pillage, and for newer captains it would allow for an income while the crew builds their skills and what not and gets used to ship operations. Same goes for whaling, or any other ocean fairing job or related task.

I like the idea of fishing, and it being either a solo pursuit off a boat (with a puzzle, for big fish) or maybe a net that could be dragged by a boat, slowing it down, but earning it some catch to offset voyaging costs, as you say. I wouldn't say it's on the list, quite. Too many Piratey pursuits first... but it's certainly got potential.
[Oct 21, 2003 6:28:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

I'm rather nervous to say that ever since I read Moby Dick I've been really keen on whaling, too. Normally I don't approve of games that are about socially rephrehensible things (I don't think much of GTA, for example... great game, I'm sure, but not my cup of tea). However, in this case, the romance of Ahab and the white whale got me. Well, I suppose we'll have Kraken's for that.

Indeed. It doesn't necessarly have to be a whale, allthough a big white whale sailing around the seas would be the thing of legend, but any creature of the depth would suffice. ( I to dislike GTA, though I see the game from more of an entertainment aspect rahter than a social commentary, which it does have some merit as purely a form of entertainment). I think part of the unique aspects of a fantasy game is one can include things as whaling because it fits within the given time and genere of the setting. While I would not be a proponent of whaling in any form (something unfortunally I live with here in Alaska and I find rather distastefull), the idea of hunting down Mody Dick is entirely alluring and for me, I think it would add something to the experence. That and I would have fun shooting cannon shot at the protestors:)

I like the idea of fishing, and it being either a solo pursuit off a boat (with a puzzle, for big fish) or maybe a net that could be dragged by a boat, slowing it down, but earning it some catch to offset voyaging costs, as you say. I wouldn't say it's on the list, quite. Too many Piratey pursuits first... but it's certainly got potential.

Aye I understand, espically with midnight, that the main focus is on the immediate gameplay and more towards the classic piratey context. I would say later down the road when some of the more basic issues are set in stone, and perhaps when the game has grown a bit more, it could be added to the experence. I could even see individual fishing come to pass before ship wide, as I wouldnt imagine it would be as hard to design as a ship function (or crew function). I would however love to see a fishing tourney of sorts, I think given the potential variables (skilkl at the game, kind of bait used, experence in fishing and knowing a particular area) would be a great side game/pastime, espically if there were some for of contests held. The same could be said with whailing, perhaps the top three (as far as pounds or mass of the fish) could be posted somewhere within the game.

Retired

[Oct 21, 2003 7:27:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
quiglin

If my ship sinks and I perish (of course, as captain, I'm going down with my ship), can I be a piratey ghost of a really cool ghost ship, and my ghost-pirate army (other blokes who bit it in the ocean) would be able to terrorize the seas and sink other ships to create even more ghost pirates...YARRR!!!
[Oct 21, 2003 7:29:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.quiglin.com    bquiglin    bquiglin [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

quiglin wrote: 
If my ship sinks and I perish (of course, as captain, I'm going down with my ship), can I be a piratey ghost of a really cool ghost ship, and my ghost-pirate army (other blokes who bit it in the ocean) would be able to terrorize the seas and sink other ships to create even more ghost pirates...YARRR!!!

Thats a cool idea, old pirate captain ghosts. I'd say there should be some requirements on this (perhaps only those of pirate legend standing (what would dertime that is a debate in itself) could say become a ghost if and when they die. I think it would be cool, it would allow old captains to remain and share knowledge yet they would be limited in their actions.

Hey there's a though, make non subscribers whom have played awhile but retire ghosts. They can come in the game, interact, but will have no real direct access to worldy events nor the life of a pirate. Think of it as retirement.

Outside of that, perhaps when a crew is sunk, an equil number of ship and crew is created as a ghost or skele ship. That would be interesting, espically if they (the thusly created ghost/skele ship) were somehow unified against the human player, in the sence that sinking might be immediatly bad as you would loose your ship, but it would also have a small global effect of adding to the army of evil...something along those lines.

Retired

[Oct 21, 2003 7:43:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

Just don't electrocute me! Reply to this Post

AkMedic wrote: 
Indeed. It doesn't necessarly have to be a whale, allthough a big white whale sailing around the seas would be the thing of legend, but any creature of the depth would suffice.

I vote Giant Squid, for obvious reasons. I'm sure Nemo will back me up on this one, considering.
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Oct 21, 2003 8:42:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Cleaver wrote: 
to say that ever since I read Moby Dick I've been really keen on whaling, too. Normally I don't approve of games that are about socially rephrehensible things (I don't think much of GTA, for example... great game, I'm sure, but not my cup of tea). However, in this case, the romance of Ahab and the white whale got me. Well, I suppose we'll have Kraken's for that.

While attacking other peoples ships and shooting at them with cannonballs and whacking them with big great cleavers is just part of everyday life over there in the San Francisco bay?

... I'm quite sure that if you made the whales eeevil cartoony Moby Dicks out to capsize pirate ships, even members of greenpeace wouldn't mind.

(I was once a member of Greenpeace. My brother - who lived in Norway at the time - bought me a t'shirt with the legend:
"Save a whale
...for dinner!"
and a picture of a proud Norwegian whaler on top of a dead whale.)
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Oct 21, 2003 5:00:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

Hanzii wrote: 
Cleaver wrote: 
to say that ever since I read Moby Dick I've been really keen on whaling, too. Normally I don't approve of games that are about socially rephrehensible things (I don't think much of GTA, for example... great game, I'm sure, but not my cup of tea). However, in this case, the romance of Ahab and the white whale got me. Well, I suppose we'll have Kraken's for that.

While attacking other peoples ships and shooting at them with cannonballs and whacking them with big great cleavers is just part of everyday life over there in the San Francisco bay?

didn't ye know... nasty place... I mean... if they hadn't made the bridge orange... someone would'a nicked it already.
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Oct 21, 2003 6:29:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LickMe

Cleaver wrote: 
(I don't think much of GTA, for example... great game, I'm sure, but not my cup of tea)

VERY fun game, but too easy to beat.

I like the idea of both whaling and fishing for extra poe.

Needless to say, my crew could use some extra poe. Struggling at the moment, especially with my SO taking off with the only crew ship(although, it IS his ship). Wish he would have at least warned me.
You never really know what you have, until its gone.
Viridian: Diatain, Haven't played for a while
Midnight: Diatain, Unsubscribed
Last position:Captain
Greenie wrote: 
Did anyone see the invisible guys outside?

KYAH!
[Jun 4, 2004 11:38:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SailinTony

If any of you make me get a new ship, I'll buy off Shur to help me PvP you. I think games can get too real, and I don't like it. People have noses in RL, but not in the game. (Yeah, stupid example. Sue me.) I mean, yes, a ship would eventually become harder to manage, I don't think it should on the game. Maybe I would find it acceptable if it got repiared for 5K or so. Kind of like a sword being re-sharpened for a sum, but I don't like that idea much, for some reason.
Long-dormant Sailintony , Midnight.
Actively Carlbert, Emerald.
[Jun 4, 2004 11:57:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pyrax

I had a thought about this ship repair thing. Instead of permanent decay, dry docking, or what have you, why not do like the pirates of old did? Implement a system where by you must stock wood and sail cloth on the ship in order to repair damage effectively. This makes for more of a poe sink (which it seems, everyone likes) and -- if you don't plan ahead -- "semi-permanent" damage to the ship.

If you run out of wood and/or sail cloth, then perhaps the carpentry puzzle becomes less effective (much like running out of rum makes all puzzles less effective), not impossible. Also, in the planning ahead vein, you'd have to either carry a bunch of wood with you, or plan to make stops at wood-generating islands (or suck it up and buy wood at an inflated cost).

Not that we need another way to use up wood....

[size=9]P.S. I don't know how you people find anything using that search engine. Perhaps all you beta/alpha testers just have good memories, and thus know what to search for?
Machiavelli, Senior Officer of Avalon Armada
[Jun 5, 2004 12:46:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

I'll be the first to say it: no more poe sinks. If ye want to take my poe, let's be more inventive with it. Matience and upkeep is dull and makes me, a player, feel like I have to work for the game, rather than the game working to entertain me. So yah, new items, new adventures, but no poe poe sinks eh:)

Retired

[Jun 5, 2004 1:38:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
LickMe

AkMedic wrote: 
I'll be the first to say it: no more poe sinks. If ye want to take my poe, let's be more inventive with it. Matience and upkeep is dull and makes me, a player, feel like I have to work for the game, rather than the game working to entertain me. So yah, new items, new adventures, but no poe poe sinks eh:)

I agree.

I don't really have any poe most of the time, so taking my poe away would destroy my crew. Having to buy wood and sail cloth for ships? No way I'm going to do that!!! I, most of the time, barely have enough for rum and cannonballs!! And wood and sail cloth costs a ton!!

I totally agree with AK. come up with a more inventive way to steal poe from me.
You never really know what you have, until its gone.
Viridian: Diatain, Haven't played for a while
Midnight: Diatain, Unsubscribed
Last position:Captain
Greenie wrote: 
Did anyone see the invisible guys outside?

KYAH!
[Jun 6, 2004 12:26:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates