• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3051 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
joris

Opening islands in [Viridian]

We(a bunch of the top 10 flags)'ve been waiting a few weeks now for any size of new island from outpost to large to become open for dropping of a war chest.

Granted midnight needed islands open to keep it as an active ocean, but personally i do not see a reason to keep the other oceans sober while midnight has the fun. Islands could be opened in each ocean, and in my oppinion it would be a better fight in each as mostly the people who play that ocean will attend the blockade; compared to the jumping over to 1 ocean of the past.

The fame system in viridian is still booched somewhat in viridian as the amount of flags is much smaller than in midnight (where a lot are dead) and cobalt (which does not charge a doubloon fee for starting a flag). However, if an outpost island was opened and a blockade fought this would appeal to the new members of viridian (as the islands currently taken are by old midnighters) to think of making their own flag and "conquering the world. The developers set these percentages for fame at a certain value (IMHO) to set a benchmark for how many flags there should be. Currently viridian is a small set of very very big flags. I, along with many others i have spoken to believe that more islands being opened will break some of these large flags up into the amount more endurable by the ocean.

I hereby request that any size island (outpost would be available to more flags) be released from Narya's hands and made blockadable by the last weekend of may, or the 1st weekend of june.

It just isn't fun without blockades :( [and no, unlike midnight and cobalt us viridian mates can't blockade one of the currently open islands unless we switch flags to 1/3 that can]

Thanks.
----------------------------------------
Belgica
Teh Poke faktor candidate 07/07
[May 23, 2005 1:31:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astridfin

Re: Opening islands in [Viridian]

ye can always drop allainces.......
A poe for your thoughts.
20 k Poe to act it out with you.
[May 23, 2005 1:38:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joris

It doesn't work like that. We do not have the fame for blockading any isle currently open, yet we have an average of 30-50 mates online during peak hours (more than midnight and cobalt eminent flags)(we are rumored). The problem lies with there being so little but huge flags. Outpost islands opened up would fix that.

Even if we dropped our alliances, we would still not be able to blockade; even being much more capable than some large island owning flags in midnight.
Belgica
[May 23, 2005 1:39:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jellyforyou

Yes i agree with you opening new island would spilt all the big flag up becoz crews in these flags would want to own there island and try to take control of the ocean. There then be many little flags everywhere trying to take island. this would tackle the issue of the amount of crews in Infierno De los Diablos, (which i am royalty in :P). I have heard of the issue being talked about by Oceanmasters. So i am with u all the way :P
<Sage> Jellysnail - Captain of the crew Dark Legion - prince of the flag Shadow Company.
[May 23, 2005 9:35:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ninja277

As of today only two flags on Viridian are eminent or higher. The largest flag, the Diablos, have 32 crews in it. The number 10 flag in fame is only established. So to say fame does not apply well to the Viridian Ocean is accurate based on the reasons Belgica listed. The cost to create a flag, the minimal amount of flags in the ocean compared to Cobalt and Midnight, and the lack of dead flags to help balance the system.
Tristan

All Oceans
[May 23, 2005 11:31:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astridfin

The way the fame works isnt how big you are its how active ye all sail and do the puzzles, so opening more islands wont solve yer fame problem. Ye all need yer flag mates to get active. If you dont have the fame it wont matter how many they open.

Sorry but ye all need to get yer flags active to raise yer fame up.

I know I would want more then a out post if I was in a flag.
A poe for your thoughts.
[May 23, 2005 11:40:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Astrid, everything you said about earning fame for your flag is true. The part that I think is missing is that the fame ratings are relative ratings - what this means is that the flags are scored on a curve, so the top 10% (numbers chosen for illustration, I have no idea what the real numbers are) are rated Illustrious, the next 20% are rated Eminent, the next 30% get the next rating, and so on. This means that the number of flags at each rating is determined by the number of the flags in the ocean. The problem in Viridian is that there are so few flags, that 10% of the flags = 2 flags. Your flag puzzling more might mean that you become one of the two flags that are Illustrious, but it won't mean that three flags will get to be Illustrious.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 24, 2005 12:26:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astridfin

What ye fail to see is to get up to Eminent yer flag has to actually be active and puzzle, Sorry but if yer mates aren't puzzleing or are just dock tarts you wont get there. You have to work for the fame not post saying it cant be done.

Daily pillages will get you up there. An active flag can make Eminent in just a couple days and they can stay there by pilagaing every day.

Sorry but saying ye cant do it wont get ye there..

[size=7]This isnt a flame its just a fact
A poe for your thoughts.
[May 24, 2005 12:42:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

That only works if the flags that are already above you, are puzzling less than the people in your flag. The person above says there are only two flags on Viridian that are rated Eminent and above - this means if 6 flags on Viridian pillage daily, only two of them will get to be Eminent or Illustrious - the other 4 flags that are pillaging daily will still be Celebrated or lower, and this will continue to be the case until new flags are created on Viridian. If I'm still not explaining this well, please PM me and I'll try to do better....
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 24, 2005 12:50:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astridfin

All I am seeing is the we can't do it because some one else is.. Sorry mate ye feel this way. But with that atitude you will never get there. also you can be Eminent with out being in the top 10.
A poe for your thoughts.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Astridfin at May 24, 2005 12:58:23 AM]
[May 24, 2005 12:58:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squeak22

I think it would be a really really Bad Thing (tm) if this was true. It would mean that if there were only 10 flags in the ocean, and they were all the same size with around the same amount of puzzling time and skill, they would not all be the same fame levels.

I really really hope this is wrong and it ends up being because they are all not puzzling (or puzzling badly). Remember that poor puzzling is pretty much like not puzzling.
Squeakbeard,
The Pirate King
ex-ex-ex-King of Dark Judgement(Merged into CT)
Proud owner of "Pequod"
[May 24, 2005 1:05:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Astrid, look up.

Sublime is shame.
[May 24, 2005 1:20:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingGoob

Astridfin wrote: 
All I am seeing is the we can do it because some one else is.. Sorry mate ye feel this way. But with that atitude you will never get there. also you can be Eminent with out being in the top 10.

Not on Viridian. Like what was mentioned before, there is a curve. Let's assume that you have to be in the top 20% of flags to be eminent or above. If there are only 10 flags, there can only be 2 eminent+ flags, no more. This means there can only be 2 flags capable of blockading any given weekend if the devs don't open smaller islands. The opening of smaller islands isn't a solution, but it does allow a few more flags to fight in blockades. The only real solution is to increase the number of flags on Viridian, which has a financial barrier to it that a lot of people (at this point) would rather not pay if they don't have to.

I agree that it's possible for any flag to become eminent, they just have to puzzle more and better than the currently eminent flags. The problem that arises is that it's pretty easy to get high fame on Midnight because of the dead/dying flags, and a real tooth and nail fight to get it on Viridian because there are too few, but very active flags. I think this problem will be PARTIALLY solved once the dying flags start getting dissolved, but it will always be harder on viridian until they have an equal number of flags as Midnight.

Maybe this belongs in game design, but should fame be cross ocean? This could solve the problem too well, since the much larger flag structure inspired by the doubloon system would decimate the 4 or 5 crew flags on Midnight and Cobalt, reversing the problem and making it too easy to blockade on Viridian and too hard on Midnight/Cobalt.

Edit 1: I inteded to explain it a different way then what was already mentioned. Now I look back and I realize I pretty much copied Sweetiepiepi's post word for word. Sorry bout the re-read :(
Jack Handey wrote: 
If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be laughing, then jumping off something.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by KingGoob at May 24, 2005 1:28:43 AM]
[May 24, 2005 1:28:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astridfin

I think the fame system then needs a rework then for those oceans with less flags, or else it isnt fair if a couple flags puzzle 1 hour longer then some others.. sorry but this fame system if it does work that way is screwing some flags.
A poe for your thoughts.
[May 24, 2005 1:33:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joris

Just some clarifications:

The top 10 flags in viridian do indeed puzzle a lot, and i think it is safe to conclude they do so more than midnight flags, purely because the viridian flags are bigger. As sweetiepiepi noted the system works on a curve, but the percentages are the same throughout the oceans.

There are 2 options to fixing this problem,

1. set individual percenatages for each ocean and modify them over time.
2. encourage crews to band together and form more but smaller flags to come with a balance to the other oceans. Many encouragements could be made... my favorite and (IMO) the most positive is to open smaller islands that create possibilities for these smaller flags to share a home and get more hands on governorship, compared to the current retired-midnighters running it.

Today, may the 24th (1 day after this topic was brought up) there seemed to be a jolt in the viridian top 10 boards (for crews and flags) causing 1 illustrious, 3 eminent, 4 celebrated, and 1 renowned flag to be shown. This (IMO) means that the devs changed percentages or some mechanic, and i applaud them for it.

thanks for all yer input, and hope ye reach the top 10 as well :D

p.s. still looking for something to blockade, as fame aint worth anything without isles open ;-)
Belgica
[May 24, 2005 6:11:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates