• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 47
Posts: 47   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6545 times and has 46 replies Next Thread
Tedv

[Suggestion] Charted league count and rum estimate Reply to this Post

It would be really nice if, when a course is officially charted, it displayed the total number of leagues in the course and an estimate for how much rum/grog/swill will be consumed per player for those leagues.

Also, will the "mouse-over a shipdeed to see where the ship is located" feature be implemented? It wasn't clear if that one made "The List" or not.
[Oct 15, 2003 1:53:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pythos

Re: [Suggestion] Charted league count and rum estimate Reply to this Post

I don't know if the rum estimate would work, since rum consumption is based on time sailed rather than distance traveled.

It could take some pirates 5 minutes to go 2 leagues if constantly under attack, and it could take some 1 minute to go that far if they get to full speed in half a league.

Jeridus - Owner of Sheepish Looks
'The absolute best tailor in Azure!' - Jeridus' Mom
----------------------------------------
Jeridus - Mad Mutineers
YPP's Original Two Fisted Tailor
[Oct 15, 2003 3:45:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

My concerns are:

1) accuracy: like shoppes' work completion estimates, it could be quite inaccurate, for the reason Pythos mentioned.

2) realism: people would have had to estimate one their own

My concerns with my concerns:

1) accuracy: for the most part, people seem happy to have even a CLUE as to when something will be done, so even if inaccurate, it would help

2) realism: fun over realism. It's not actually FUN to do that math, so why should we?

I think showing either a minimum rum consumed for such a journey (based on number of pirates aboard) or an average amount (based on the "full complement" used in number of swabbies") would be good, as long as people knew that's what it was.
[Oct 15, 2003 10:06:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Alie

I'd settle for just a number of leagues total count.
[Oct 15, 2003 10:11:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    strangeQuarks [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Well, you *can* just count the number of leagues, but I can see how it would be handy.

A rum estimate would just be too unwieldly, since one person leaving the ship, and having either someone of differant rank, or a swabbie come aboard throws the whole thing off.

Higher ranks use more rum, and swabbies can actually function off of swill and grog rather than soak up rum, so if you had anything other than *just* fine rum on board, an estimate would also be almost impossible.

Plus, do we really want people figureing out exactly how little rum they need for a certain trip? To figure out that they actually only need 2 rum and 3 grog where they would have bought 5 rum? My goodness, the rum economy would crash and burn!!! And, given that it's rum, burn for quite a long time. Plus it sounds a little too much like giving out numbers, since Rum is a vital component of sailing.
[Oct 16, 2003 12:24:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Devonin wrote: 
Plus, do we really want people figureing out exactly how little rum they need for a certain trip? To figure out that they actually only need 2 rum and 3 grog where they would have bought 5 rum? My goodness, the rum economy would crash and burn!!! And, given that it's rum, burn for quite a long time. Plus it sounds a little too much like giving out numbers, since Rum is a vital component of sailing.

This was half tongue-in-cheek, but dances around a good point. Who really cares? Any good SO can estimate reasonably well. What's wrong with having more rum than you actually need right now. Heaven forbid someone attack your ship and take a barrel.

-Nemo
[Oct 16, 2003 1:39:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Nemo wrote: 
Heaven forbid someone attack your ship and take a barrel.-Nemo

Priceless quote !!
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Oct 16, 2003 1:51:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Nykkel

Even if the rum estimate was based on a lot of assumptions, I'd still find it useful. Estimating the amount you need to run a Small Sloop seems fairly straightforward, but if I were to take out a War Brig or something, I'd really have no clue at all how much rum a crew that size would require.
[Oct 16, 2003 2:11:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Nykkel wrote: 
I'd really have no clue at all how much rum a crew that size would require.

A lot.

Again I stress: where is the downside of having too much?
[Oct 16, 2003 2:12:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Nemo wrote: 
This was half tongue-in-cheek, but dances around a good point. Who really cares?

Well, I couldn't just come out and say it now could I, I have a greeter image to keep up.

. o 0 (Unless I could hack Russel's account, then I could say whatever i wanted)
[Oct 16, 2003 2:17:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

I'm a Greeter here, too? Whoops... Reply to this Post

Devonin wrote: 
Well, I couldn't just come out and say it now could I, I have a greeter image to keep up.

But . . . but . . . that's only in-game, right? I mean, Squiddles' name might be pink, but Squidbeard's name is black as night, black as coal. I thought the whole point of Greeter-dom was to work off all the bad karma I accumulate here!

Oh, dear. I need to sit down. Where's my rum? [size=9]Don't panic, Squid. Everything will be just fine...

--Sq

P.S. Just keep plenty of rum around. If you can afford a ?25,000 ship, you can surely handle an extra 20 rum now and then, right?
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Oct 16, 2003 2:37:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Nemo wrote: 
Nykkel wrote: 
I'd really have no clue at all how much rum a crew that size would require.

A lot.
Again I stress: where is the downside of having too much?

Aye, rum consumption isn't a big deal. The first time you take yer brig out, put 50 in the hold. See how long you're out on the seas, and how much rum is left at the end. It'll give you a good idea.

I'd kind of like to see a 'leagues remaining' counter on the charted course. It'd be a curiosity when we're sailin' from Diamond to Opal, but only a curiosity.

atteSmythe,
who realizes that 50 is way too much, but it's a nice convenient number

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Oct 16, 2003 2:42:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

atteSmythe wrote: 
who realizes that 50 is way too much, but it's a nice convenient number

Ahem! There is NEVER too much rum. Only too little.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Oct 16, 2003 3:09:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Tedv

Dorel wrote: 
Ahem! There is NEVER too much rum. Only too little.

There's the little bit of realism you were looking for, Homullus!
[Oct 16, 2003 3:32:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nykkel

Spending an extra thousand poe on rum I won't need is annoying. Sure, I could put 100 rum on board a ship (in theory), and not worry about running out. But if I really only need to have 30 on board to make my trip with a reasonable safety margin, then I'm losing a lot more rum each time I get pillaged than if I were only carrying 30.

Yes, yes. I know. "Don't get pillaged." Arrange that with the brigands. :-P

Since this is a Beta Test anyway, perhaps I should just grab a ship, stock it with a supply of rum and some bored crewmates, and see if I can determine a rough estimate of the Rum formula.

And of course, not share it. :)
[Oct 16, 2003 4:07:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

There WILL be such a thing as too much rum when inventory decay sets in, though . . . which brings us back to that estimate being useful.
[Oct 16, 2003 4:14:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Nykkel wrote: 
Since this is a Beta Test anyway, perhaps I should just grab a ship, stock it with a supply of rum and some bored crewmates, and see if I can determine a rough estimate of the Rum formula.
And of course, not share it. :)

Actually, IIRC, the Rum Formula has been posted here already.

atteSmythe,
who doesn't always remember correctly

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Oct 16, 2003 5:02:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

Useful? I'm still not sold. Reply to this Post

I don't know. I still think it would be hard to calculate rum estimations without knowing who's going to be aboard and how often you're likely to get tied up in battle (and have to get back up to speed again). A route with lots of traffic will likely cause you to be stopped more often. A good Navigator will let you get up to speed much quicker, which trims time off your voyage AND makes you harder to intercept (by shortening your vulnerable 'slow' period).

Nikkel himself said that figuring rum supplies for sloops was pretty straightforward. But the factors that complicate things for you or me when figuring large-ship supplies don't go away when the game is doing the figuring. I guess my concern is that any estimate the game spits out is going to be sufficiently arbitrary as to be useless. At least when I'm coming up with my arbitrary guesses, I know what assumptions I've made.

Doing an estimate in your head, and adding an extra N rum for a cushion, seems a reasonable way to go. If you have 20 more than you need aboard, you run the risk of losing 2 extra if you lose a battle. That's only 100-150 poe, depending on how and where you buy rum. At the risk of repeating myself: if you're running a big ship, a couple of hundred poe hardly registers.

Besides, I've already come out in favor of ships having more goods aboard in order to make PvP a little more meaningful. I gotta at least try to stay consistent!

--Sq
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Oct 16, 2003 5:29:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
Peghead
Developer

tedv wrote: 
It would be really nice if, when a course is officially charted, it displayed the total number of leagues in the course and an estimate for how much rum/grog/swill will be consumed per player for those leagues.

Not going to happen. Too many variables. Rum consumption is based on time, who is on board, and what kind of rum you're consuming. I do want to put something in that lists the relative strengths of the 3 kinds of rum, but am not sure where to stick it.

Here, for your edification, are the relative strengths:

swill - 40 proof
grog - 60 proof
fine rum - 100 proof

tedv wrote: 
Also, will the "mouse-over a shipdeed to see where the ship is located" feature be implemented? It wasn't clear if that one made "The List" or not.

The vessel report will be in the next release.
[Oct 16, 2003 5:36:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

Uh oh.

Surely Peghead is aware that pure alcohol is 200 proof, and that therefore a difference of 20 proof = a ten percent difference in alcohol content?

I am trying to figure out how that differs exactly from if peghead meant to say 'percent' rather than 'proof' but my math skills are far to atrophied. Someone help please...

-Lep

<edit, brain hurting> Ok lets say a keg of fine rum has X motivation factor in it. IF peghead really meant 'proof', then a keg of grog has (X-.2) motivation factor, and swill has (X-.3) motivation factor. Whereas, if he meant 'percent', then a keg of grog has (X-.4) motivation factor and a keg of swill has (X-.6) motivation factor in it.

I think.
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Oct 16, 2003 7:37:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

No, wait, I'm wrong... if all of the rum is half as strong, you've devided all by the same amount and their ratios remain the same.

Right? So it doesn't matter?

argh

-Lep
[Oct 16, 2003 7:42:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

Leperflesh wrote: 
No, wait, I'm wrong... if all of the rum is half as strong, you've devided all by the same amount and their ratios remain the same.

Right? So it doesn't matter?

argh

-Lep

Lol

5 Grog is worth 3 Rum.
5 Swill is worth 2 Rum.
3 Swill is worth 2 Grog.
Gorth

Midnight:
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.

Azure:
-Owner of Spring Blade Iron Monger on Spring Island.
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.
[Oct 16, 2003 7:56:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

Arr, thankee Kraken. I need te drink less Swill and more Fine Rum, te fix me dain bramage.

-Lep
[Oct 16, 2003 8:03:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peghead
Developer

Kraken wrote: 

5 Grog is worth 3 Rum.
5 Swill is worth 2 Rum.
3 Swill is worth 2 Grog.

This is exactly right.
[Oct 16, 2003 10:01:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peghead
Developer

Or, put another way Reply to this Post

15 units of swill == 10 units of grog == 6 units of fine rum

You heard it here first!
[Oct 16, 2003 10:07:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I can already figure out how much time it takes to sail any given route, (this is one reason why I made my PP map) and now all I need is to know the rum/time factor and I'm set.... :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Oct 16, 2003 2:01:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
dime

/me starts the chant!

one fifty one!
[size=18]one fifty one!
[size=24]one fifty one!
[size=24]one fifty one!

/me looks around

[size=18]one fifty one!
[size=17]one fifty one!
[size=16]one fifty one!
[size=15]one fifty one!
[size=14]one fifty one!
[size=13]one fifty one!
[size=12]one fifty one!
[size=11]one fifty one!
[size=10]one fifty one!
[size=9]one fifty one!
[size=8]one fifty one!
[size=7]one fifty one!
one fifty one!
one fifty one!
one fifty one!
one fifty one!
one fifty one!
one fifty one!
[Oct 18, 2003 1:18:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaaMan

/em stares at dime
Only evil on days that end in Y.
[Oct 18, 2003 1:55:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nothing

1 50 1 Reply to this Post

[size=18]One fifty one!
[Oct 18, 2003 1:57:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damienroc

Everclear!
Shuranthae wrote: 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

[Oct 18, 2003 1:16:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 47   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates