• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6808 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Penndalla

Assigning Officers and Duties Reply to this Post

OFFICER PERMISSIONS
OK, this is gonna be long just because I am going to graphically show this stuff?
Get rid of the current ranks in the crews.

The captain alone, when pulling up options on a crew member, would have the new options of Assign Ship and Remove Ship. Assign Ship would list all unassigned ships. Remove Ship would list all assigned ships.
Any crew Assigned a ship would have officer status over that ship, such as ?Officer of the Old-Fashioned Flounder?

An Officer of a ship (and defacto the Capt) would then see new options under crew lists to Assign First Mate ONLY when standing in a ship. This would toggle a crew member to have First Mate status on that ship, with all officer privileges with the exception of assigning Quarter Master and removing maps or funds (unless the option be given to deposit to a crew account). This would apply to only the ship the Officer was standing in.

An Officer or the Captain could assign Quarter Master (the rights to divvy and manage the hold plus commodities). Quarter Master would apply only to the ship that the Officer or Captain is currently standing in.

The Captain, an Officer, or a First Mate of a ship could Assign Gunnery, Assign Navigator and Assign Command (the right to issue Sail, Port, and Attack Orders). These too would apply to only the ship the Officer is aboard.

Each ship would have a duty book (and all duty books would be linked for crew viewing in the Crew Page) that tells who has what duties.

OFFICER ON-SHIP MENU
Therefore, when standing on a ship, and clicking on a Crew Mate, an Officer would see?

Assign ---->
First Mate
Command (might need a better name for this)
Quarter Master
Navigator
Gunnery
----------
Pirate
Cabin Boy
(these would drop from the list if already assigned)

Remove ---->
First Mate
Command
Quarter Master
Navigator
Gunnery
----------
Pirate
Cabin Boy
(these would only be in the list if already assigned)

OFFICER OFF-SHIP MENU
Clicking a Crew Mate off-ship would show:

Assign ---->
Pirate
Cabin Boy

Remove ---->
Pirate
Cabin Boy

CAPTAIN ON-SHIP MENU

Assign ---->
First Mate
Command
Quarter Master
Navigator
Gunnery
----------
Officer (Old-Fashioned Flounder)
Officer (Slippery Chud)
Officer (insert more ships here)
Pirate
Cabin Boy

Remove ---->
First Mate
Command
Quarter Master
Navigator
Gunnery
----------
Officer (Slippery Chud)
Pirate
Cabin Boy

CAPTAIN OFF-SHIP MENU

Assign ---->
Officer (Slippery Chud)
Pirate
Cabin Boy

Remove ---->
Officer (Slippery Chud)
Pirate
Cabin Boy

FIRST MATE ON-SHIP MENU

Assign ---->
Command
Navigator
Gunnery

Remove ---->
Command
Navigator
Gunnery

FIRST MATE OFF-SHIP MENU
Would not exist!

Well, any how, this be just a first stab at it. You would definitely want an in-game message center to go along with this at some point. =)
Captains, who like it the way it is, could just assign their officers to all ships. You might even list OFFICER (ALL SHIPS) as a ship in the ship list to make this easy on them. I think this would be pretty intuitive on all the players.
----------------------------------------
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[May 21, 2003 12:29:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Re: Assigning Officers and Duties Reply to this Post

Now with this setup, and a warehouse somewhar and ship to ship commoditiy transfers, I (and mayhap another capt or two) could be the terror of the seas.

I would have me free lance pillage ships upon the seas with a few good pillage Officers to run the fleet and manage the First Mates. I would be havin a few good trade Officers runnin' me trade fleet.

AND I could have me special Officers to do certain tasks, such as: Have me Officer Platzstrike over a few good ships that would prey the first leagues of every exit from from Turtle to monopolize the wood trade. If ye tried to buy the wood out from under me trade ships, ye would have to run the gambit of a Brig, a Sloop, and a Small sloop no matter which route ye tried to escape through. We would take our tax of 2 or 3 fold if ye could not beat us off on yer way past. And of course ye would have to then pass me tax ships stationed about Alpha.

Har, har. It would take many more players, but it makes me mouth water just thinkin' of it. I can just imagine heaps of other capts comin' together under a flag thinkin' they might should attempt to do somethin' about it.
Pennsuedo

[May 21, 2003 1:13:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

great idea! Reply to this Post

Overall, very nice - however, I would prefer if all this setup did not have to be done every time a ship was to be taken out (you don't say for sure if this is constant or not). In addition, given that booty is divided by rank, I think the existing rank system should remain, but with the addition of the ability to add or remove restrictions on duties and access, as you describe.
[May 21, 2003 1:33:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Aye, the settings should be persistent until explicitly removed. And as fer the divvy, just need to add in FIRST MATE betwixt OFFICERS and PIRATES.
There would be no special pay fer those assigned duties such as navigate or Command. They could just consider their work goin' toward provin' themselves ready fer FIRST MATE or OFFICER.
Pennsuedo

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Penndalla at May 21, 2003 1:54:14 AM]
[May 21, 2003 1:54:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
DonCarnage

love the idea Reply to this Post

i love this idea, it would be great to be a 'captain' of a smaller fleet ship and work your way up. in addition, the ranks would allow the captain easier understanding of where each pirate stands and how they advance, especially in large crews. arr!
Not everything I think is something I should say...
[May 21, 2003 1:55:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Fine ranking Reply to this Post

We'd definitley like to provide more fine-grained control, but I don't think we're going to get near your outline for quite some time. Two reasons: it's tremendously complicated and we don't have time, and secondly, a lot of the features you're seeking are taken care of by Flags.

Flags, as coalitions of Crews, will allow a Flag Kings and Officers to give ships to new Captains, perhaps even take them away, and so forth. We'll try to give them flexibility such that they can range from loose coalitions of independent and perhaps larger crews to tightly-organised fleets, whereby each Crew is really only a sub-crew of the Flag single crew. Like Crews, Flags will be ruled in Autocratic and Oligarchic fashion (probably no Democratic, although it's possible). We may add a Crew Rank, although the first line for this will be whether the member Crew's Captain is a Flag Officer or not.

That said, we are keen on a First Mate / Mate / Master rank, soonish, so people can sail ships without being an officer, and we do have an item for 'Fine grained crew controls' on *the list*.
[May 21, 2003 3:13:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Aye, that takes care of it then. So much fer me asking to go on payrole. =P
Pennsuedo

[May 21, 2003 3:16:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

For crews under one flag, will a member of one crew have to job and receive a jobber's cut to work with another crew? Or will they be considered equal rank in all crews? Will a flag officer automatically have rank on all flag ships? Fer that matter, can a Captain /plank a flag officer? Har har.

Out of curiosity, how far down the road are flags?
Pennsuedo

[May 21, 2003 3:26:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Flags Reply to this Post

The crews will be considered separately, so a Flag Officer won't necessarily be able to take out a Crew's boat... interesting idea, though... and fellow flag members will still need to Job (although with Booty Divvy, the shares are no longer so applicable as they were).

Basic Flags will come pretty soon. They're almost next up. Full Flag implementation with voting and all sorts of good crew-like stuff are a ways off.
[May 21, 2003 8:42:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
MAHK

Crew rank permissions Reply to this Post

[size=9]Please note that this post bumps a 1.5 year old thread - consider the changes to the game since and try not to nitpick/continue a conversation with any post above this one. Thanks!
As far as changing the permissions for particular crew ranks goes, I would suggest treading very carefully in implementing this feature. The meanings of the existing crew ranks are a fairly significant social shorthand that everyone in the game knows, and it would be a shame to lose that.

My suggestion would be to add two or three special new ranks, and have those be the only customizable ones. It might even be useful for the "custom" ranks to exist in pre-defined "brackets" in the hierarchy. For example the "junior officer" rank is customizable, but can't have permissions that the non-customizable "officer" rank doesn't have.

Lastly, I think the thing that I'd most like to see is some kind of "officer learner's permit" rank. Characters with that rank could perform all CO duties on a ship so long as there was also a "real" officer aboard.

Just my $0.02

- MAHK
[Sep 8, 2004 1:19:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Time warp! Arrrr! /me goes about owning Azure.
Pennsuedo

[Sep 8, 2004 1:23:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
avalon2

Somebody posted about making flag ships, and honestly seeing all the problems with it i just stayed away from teh post, BUT

If the owenr of the boat in question was aloud to assgin anyone in the flag, then they could assign several officers from each crew and all teh royality etc etc.
This would allow people to job in thier own crew (instead of the person running th epillage) Still give you access to more officers without having to send orders every few mins if you need ot do some shuffling (we all have bad days). etc etc.

Although it would be awsome to be able to zero out the crew cut on boats now and then, a bad pillage or one with only one fight that crew cut could go a long way to paying jobbers
[Sep 8, 2004 9:08:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Re: Crew rank permissions Reply to this Post

MAHK wrote: 
Lastly, I think the thing that I'd most like to see is some kind of "officer learner's permit" rank. Characters with that rank could perform all CO duties on a ship so long as there was also a "real" officer aboard.

Although it is, perhaps, an unintuitive search, try doing a search for "Brevet" - there's a good conversation on temporary/training officership there.

atteSmythe,
link and load

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Sep 9, 2004 3:08:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
SeaBall

Something I did not see touched on that I would like to have is the ability to take jobbers from other crews and grant them abilitys.

I, like many, have made many friends in other crews and would like the ability to have them aboard and have command capabilities to assist in running the ship without directly affecting their current crew status. (EG- haveing to leave and rejoin)

Also, being able to temporarly assign an 'on ship' rank would be a benificial resource for crews working with prospective officers. They would be able to grant the abilities without the problem of discomindation if it does not work out.
[Mar 8, 2006 10:29:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Such a command (/brevet) was discussed here:
Ships (Idea Links):Commanding officer:Set/temporarily promote pirate
It was proposed specifically for bestowing officer powers on jobbing pirates, although it would generally apply to crew members too.

Faulkston,
meta-linky
[Mar 8, 2006 10:55:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Moonfish1985

So, since the original thread I made (here) was locked, I'll just revive this thread as appropriate by the forum rules.

If only to ask: is it customary to revive threads that are on The List to add information, if they haven't been touched in years?
In this specific case, the discussion has gone completely astray from the part that I wanted to suggest, which is what made me a little hesitant.

I'm trying my best to become accustomed to the way things go around here, sorry if it's by means of falling and getting back up.
Odd on Cobalt
Moonfish on Viridian
[Mar 13, 2008 7:51:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

If only to ask: is it customary to revive threads that are on The List to add information, if they haven't been touched in years?
In this specific case, the discussion has gone completely astray from the part that I wanted to suggest, which is what made me a little hesitant.

I'm trying my best to become accustomed to the way things go around here, sorry if it's by means of falling and getting back up.

Yes, it is. It's one of those things that sounds odd, but there is the logic to it that you can see if the idea is already suggested, already proven bad for the Game, or already listed for development.

It SHOULD work - and likely would if we could all figure out how to search like Faulkston does :D*

I swear Faulkston doesn't use the forum search system, and actually has a huuuuuge rolodex with all the thread links listed by keywords of their own choosing.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Mar 13, 2008 12:04:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
paolobueno

My thread was also falkston'd due to conflict with this one, similarly to Moonfish's just a few days earlier >.<.

However even after reading all the relevant pages again, it only appears to me that this post originally deals with ship management at a crew-level specially by the captain in order to raise the efficiency of the crew, treating ships almost as crew property. And cannot find an actual relation with the main point of both mine and Moonfish's threads: better control by the deed holder over who can gain officer privileges over their ship(s).

If it's a failure of my part on not being able to read properly, i'd like someone to enlighten me here.
Jackward in Viridian

While my account maybe old, i usually play YPP for some time, quit for a lot more time and eventually come back xD.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by paolobueno at Mar 16, 2008 1:33:59 PM]
[Mar 16, 2008 1:32:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Substitute deed holder for crew captain. The original post has a very general scheme which can be adapted.

Faulkston,
:-)
[Mar 16, 2008 1:45:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates