• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 68
Posts: 68   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11135 times and has 67 replies Next Thread
tcarr

[finished] Dare to be Logical!/2005.5.27-2005.7.14 Reply to this Post

[size=18]Dare to be Logical! 2005.5.27-2005.7.14

Please note that this contest is finished. Additional information will be added soon to the puzzle posts, so that those just discovering this thread can try the puzzles.

Scoreboards after Chapter 6:
Alphabetical by pirate name
Numerical by score

What:
Piratical literary logic puzzle contest

Where:
Stories and puzzles will be posted here in the YPP forums, but will require some Midnight Ocean in-game time to solve

Dates:
May 20th - short practice puzzle posted
May 27th - Prologue, with Trivia Contest
Jun 3rd - Chapter 1: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Jun 10th - Chapter 2: Escapade on Eta
Jun 17th - Chapter 3: Journey to Jorvik
Jun 24th - Chapter 4: A Pretty Pickle Indeed!
Jul 1st - Chapter 5: Visiting Valhalla
Jul 8th - Chapter 6: Rum and Rowdiness
Jul 15th - overall winners announced
Jul 22nd - Epilogue

Time:
Each week a new post will be made no later than noon PST on Friday, with solutions due no later than noon PST on Monday.

For whom:
Anyone who sails the Midnight Ocean (who isn't directly involved in running the event o course)

By whom:
Lordkalvan, Captain of Otherwhen

Fee:
Free!

Prizes:
over 500 thousand PoE total in prizes. Each weekly puzzle has 20K PoE to split amongst the winners, and the overall winners get to choose prizes from this prize list.

Details:
This contest is in celebration of the birthday of Otherwhen crew, founded July 14th.

Each week a new puzzle will be posted on Friday by noon PST, linked from this thread. Ye will have until Monday noon PST to submit yer solution to otherwhen@frontiernet.net . The prologue will be posted no later than May 27th, with no puzzle to solve but a background story. Each following Friday fer six weeks a new puzzle will be posted. Finally, an epilogue will be posted, with no puzzle but a nice wrap-up story.

Ye can participate in several ways:
1. Just read the stories as stories, and enjoy them. No prizes other than the story, but a strong effort will be made to have the puzzles make an interesting story over the eight posts (prologue, six puzzles, epilogue).

2. Solve one or more weekly puzzles, to earn weekly prizes (cash). If ye will miss a week, ye can still compete in the rest. If ye can only compete one week, ye still have a chance at that week's prizes.

3. Submit answers to all the weekly puzzles, so that ye have a good chance of winning one of the non-cash prizes at the end of the contest. Tis entirely possible that somebody who got each week's puzzle almost correct might be one of the overall winners.

4. Sponsor one of the weekly puzzles, and get the pleasure of seeing yer name (island, crew, shop, ship, hearty) in the puzzle. Sponsors are allowed to compete even during the week whatever they be sponsoring is in the puzzle. Note: Contest is now fully sponsored.

5. Donate poe or prizes so we can make the overall prizes even more fantastic.

Prizes:
Weekly winners get:
First place - 10K
Second place - 7K
Third place - 3K

In the case of ties, prizes will be rounded to a multiple of 500 poe. There be six weekly puzzles, fer a total of 120K in weekly prizes.

At the end of six weeks, there will be non-cash prizes fer the top five (or more) winners worth a minimum of 380K total. If there is no tie fer first place, then first place wins choice of a war brig stocked with 100 rum and 300 medium shot or a Real Life yarn octopus to put by yer computer while ye pillage. More details will be posted on these prizes after we have an idea of how many people might tie fer first place.

Teams and Registration:
There is no need to register fer this event. Ye be allowed to form teams, but each team is on its honor to only submit a single email message fer each puzzle. Mark the email message with the name of the team captain, who will receive any prizes and then attempt to share them fairly with team mates.

Hints:
Every piece of information ye will need to solve the puzzles can be found by some combination of:

1. Visiting different islands on Midnight Ocean and looking at what is posted inside buildings, or just wandering around to see the sights.

2. In-game use of /who, /fwho, /vwho, /cwho and then following links.

3. YPP Forum posts

Some of the above can be replaced by a solid knowledge of YPP.

Any questions?
----------------------------------------
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Edit 28 times, last edit by tcarr at May 8, 2005 9:16:33 PM]
[May 8, 2005 9:16:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raelan

Re: [finished] Dare to be Logical!/2005.5.27-2005.7.14 Reply to this Post

You have a pic of the yarn octo?
Croyalis,
>Senior Officer of the Templars<
~Lord of Elysian Fields~
}One half of the Templar Drunks{

"u guys are a brick wall to win any tourney lol" - Aaliyah on the Templar Drunks
[May 9, 2005 12:39:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Raelan wrote: 
You have a pic of the yarn octo?

Not of the exact one that will be a prize. However, there are pics of several others (that already belong to people such as Lordkalvan, Kerothyn, and Sharvin) posted on this thread:
http://www.whispereddreams.net/watersleeps/viewtopic.php?t=69
[May 9, 2005 12:46:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

The only thing i can say to this is:

Arrrggggggggg....... I'm not attractive.
On a serious note, this is really, really cool. I'll be in. I tried to start a logic puzzle topic, but it got drowned out, and I'm not known enough for it to be noticed.

By the way, can't most (if not all) of this puzzle be solved by the info you've added.

<smacks head> or is that the idea?
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[May 9, 2005 10:53:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

DaneT wrote: 
The only thing i can say to this is:

Arrrggggggggg....... I'm not attractive.
On a serious note, this is really, really cool. I'll be in. I tried to start a logic puzzle topic, but it got drowned out, and I'm not known enough for it to be noticed.

By the way, can't most (if not all) of this puzzle be solved by the info you've added.

<smacks head> or is that the idea?

Most of the puzzle will be able to be solved with just the info posted, but each puzzle will require at least one fact that must be found in-game (possibly just by /who on the names of each person mentioned, or /vwho on the ships, etc).
[May 9, 2005 11:08:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Wow, the ideas for comp's are becoming better and better. I'm glad this is a Midnight comp. You're also focing me to finally learn the other features of talking. Damn you and your skill building!

p.s. Can the info be posted in any building?
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

[May 9, 2005 11:22:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

DaneT wrote: 
Wow, the ideas for comp's are becoming better and better. I'm glad this is a Midnight comp. You're also focing me to finally learn the other features of talking. Damn you and your skill building!

p.s. Can the info be posted in any building?

well, it would have to be a building that i've sweet talked the owner into posting the hint fer me. the building would be on the island that the puzzle was set on. the last time i did this only a few buildings had actual hints in them, but there were clues about "who manages an iron mongery shop" so people had to visit the iron mongers to see which of the names showing in the puzzle were managers of one.

I'll be posting me solution to the free example above later, giving details, so if ye aren't familiar with /who and /vwho that will tell ye more about them.
[May 9, 2005 11:37:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Just over two weeks to go!!! Looking forward to it. And I actually meant, can they be posted in any type of building.

[May 11, 2005 12:22:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

DaneT wrote: 
Just over two weeks to go!!! Looking forward to it. And I actually meant, can they be posted in any type of building.

The last time I checked, we still couldn't post in markets, but every other type of building i've tried has news boards.

Me puzzles won't make ye visit every single room of every building on an island. However, if a palace (fer example) is prominent in a puzzle, then it will likely pay to visit every room in the palace and check the news board on each of those rooms. Similarly if a certain shipyard is mentioned.
[May 11, 2005 12:29:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Re: [contest - Mid] Dare to be Logical! 2005.5.27-2005.7.14 Reply to this Post

this was the solution to the easy warmup exercise
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tcarr at May 12, 2005 10:51:11 PM]
[May 12, 2005 10:51:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

/me sighs

the warmup exercise no longer works, since the owner of the Shining Sunfish has changed crews
[May 15, 2005 12:57:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kalimont

tcarr wrote: 
/me sighs

the warmup exercise no longer works, since the owner of the Shining Sunfish has changed crews

Well that defeats the purprose.. Lol.. I hope this doesn't happen with any other ships that are being used in stories. I suppose best to check your story RIGHT before you post it?
Flathead Lake Monster - Montana's Kraken
Where are those scuppering skellies?
[May 15, 2005 3:09:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sunshineshoes    sf59queen [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

the warm up exercise worked until about 3 hours ago.

and i always check the puzzles right afore i post them.

guess i have to write a different warm up exercise.

/me grumbles about people who ask to be put into puzzles, then three days later change crews......
[May 15, 2005 3:14:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

tcarr wrote: 
/me grumbles about people who ask to be put into puzzles, then three days later change crews......

6. Like to keep ye on your toes.
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[May 15, 2005 6:55:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

[size=18]Easy, Warm-Up Exercise

Delmkorval was jobbing on the Fuzzy Lamprey on May 18th. They had a good run, and the commander ported at Turtle and divvied. The other jobbers all left.

"I'm continuing on to Papaya, if ye care to stay."

"Aye! Glad to!"

They had barely left Turtle when they were attacked.

"Huzzah! Another battle!" DK always likes battles.

"Ooooo the brigands must like purple too!"

"????"

"The brigand sloop - tis named the Purple Pirate People Eater."

DK dragged the mini-map to see the attacking ship. "It's outlined in blue... I've never seen that afore. Never heard of a brigand ship named anything like that either."

The midshipman said "I've seen blue ships in battle afore, but I don't remember what it means .... I haven't finished me officer training yet."

And of course while the conversation distracted them, the Purple Pirate People Eater closed, and hit them twice.

"Ack! DK ye sail, I'll put the bots on carp and bilge, and reload when it needs doing meself."

The struggle was long and frustrating. They managed to hit the other ship three or four times, but were quickly maxed themselves and eventually the carp and bilge were so bad that they were sitting ducks.

In the melee, there was a total of four bots, one jobber, one Captain, Fireandice, and a Siren.

Fer each of the four pirates, determine:
1. name
2. crew
3. name of ship he or she was on

Also, determine who won the battle, and explain why the attacking ship was outlined in blue during the battle.
-----------------------------
Note:
There is no prize fer this puzzle. There is no need to submit yer answers to it. The solution will be posted in a few days. It is easier than the puzzles that will be in the contest, but designed so that the solution will teach some of the in-game tricks that ye might need to solve me puzzles.

And aye, this puzzle was based on a battle that actually happened the other day, although I changed one of the pirate names so that I could include Delmkorval, who will be in each of the puzzles.
[May 19, 2005 9:49:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
absolutsnafu

/me pours water on her brain to stop it from burning
Ladyknight
Crimson Tide
Pirate/Viking/Musketeer/Knight

"early to bed and early to rise precludes you from seeing the most brilliant of starry nights" -bad religion
[May 20, 2005 2:35:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/absolutsnafu    AbsolutSNAFU    tempo del soul [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

absolutsnafu wrote: 
/me pours water on her brain to stop it from burning

Hint: ye can't solve this without some in-game information. Read the Hints section of the first post on this thread.
[May 20, 2005 2:37:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

[size=18]Solution to the Warm-up Exercise

If this puzzle had a prize, the solution wouldn't be posted until after noon on Monday, however, since there's no prize I'm posting it now.

The best way to attack me logic puzzles is to write down all the names of pirates, ships, crews and flags that are mentioned, and then use the appropriate in-game slash commands to get more info about each. In this case, the puzzle mentioned:

ships:
Fuzzy Lamprey
Purple Pirate People Eater

people:
Delmkorval
Fireandice

Using "/vwho Fuzzy Lamprey" tells us that the Fuzzy Lamprey belongs to Otherwhen crew. Using "/vwho Purple Pirate People Eater" tells us that the second ship belongs to Midnight Symphony crew. Using "/who Delmkorval" tells us that DK is in I Dare crew and he's not a captain or siren. Using "/who Fireandice" tells us that he's in Otherwhen crew and a midshipman.

So right away we know that Fireandice was commanding the Fuzzy Lamprey, and Delmkorval was jobbing with him. Since Fireandice mentioned putting the bots on carp and bilge, there were no other people on that ship.

The puzzle said that there were four pirates involved, so the other two have to be on the second ship. Since DK was the jobber, the other two have to be from Midnight Symphony crew. In the melee, there was a total of four bots, one jobber, one Captain, Fireandice, and a Siren. DK is the jobber, so we need the Captain and Siren from Midnight Symphony. Using "/cwho Midnight Symphony" and clicking on each crew member's name, we can quickly find that the captain is Saruman and the siren is Isabellatq.

It's pretty easy to guess that the Midnight Symphony ship won the battle, but since this was based on a battle that actually happened, ye can /cwho either of the two crews and then click their PvP rank to see the recent PvP battles. Find the one on May 18th between Otherwhen and Midnight Symphony, and ye will see that Midnight Symphony did indeed win the battle.

Answer:

Delmkorval, I Dare, Fuzzy Lamprey
Fireandice, Otherwhen, Fuzzy Lamprey
Saruman, Midnight Symphony, Purple Pirate People Eater
Isabellatq, Midnight Symphony, Purple Pirate People Eater

Saruman and Isabellatq in the Purple Pirate People Eater won the battle.

The last part was tricky, and ye needed to either be experienced with PvP or have read about it in forums. When ye be in battle normally the other ship will be outlined in gray, whether tis brigand or human. When the other ship is from a flag at war with yers, twill be outlined in red. When the other ship is from a flag that is allied with yers, twill be outlined in blue. In this case, both crews are from the same flag, so that's why they showed as blue during the battle.

Please note that Water Sleeps crews do not normally shoot their allies to swiss cheese. Me crew Otherwhen trains its new officers by arranging PvP duels that get gradually more difficult, usually between two Otherwhen sloops. I had asked Saruman to attack the Fuzzy Lamprey.
[May 21, 2005 10:09:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

I hadn't looked on the forums for a while, and I missed your posting for the puzzle. Damn. I hope I can catch it next time.

[May 23, 2005 10:12:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

DaneT wrote: 
I hadn't looked on the forums for a while, and I missed your posting for the puzzle. Damn. I hope I can catch it next time.

Every Friday starting later this week, mate - until mid-July. Although this Friday is the prologue, with again nothing to submit.
[May 23, 2005 10:42:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vamps

Oh my tis you Lordy, hehehe nice idea, I shall alert my crew to this and with any luck we might just get somewhere.

Looking forward to the first puzzle, any chance ye can make it a nice easy one LOL.

Vamps
xXx

Is there anyway I can keep a track of this thread at all, in case I end up losing it amongst eveything.
[May 24, 2005 12:17:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vamps

Or can we at least have this up as a sticky, there are loads of pages here LOL.
[May 24, 2005 12:19:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

vamps wrote: 
Looking forward to the first puzzle, any chance ye can make it a nice easy one LOL.

Is there anyway I can keep a track of this thread at all, in case I end up losing it amongst eveything.

Look above fer the warm-up exercise. That's the easiest puzzle we will have.

To keep track of the thread, ye can do any of these things:
[1] Click the link on yer log-in screen under "upcoming events"
[2] Bookmark http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=18496
[3] Down at the bottom of this page click the link that says "watch this topic", which will send ye an email message when a reply is posted.
[4] Just remember that every Friday a new post will be made, and look in the YPP Events forum. If ye look on Friday, it will be near the top, after all the stickies.
[5] Click the Events Calendar at the top of the YPP Events forum, and then look to see what is happening. This contest is linked from there, as well as other nifty events.
[May 24, 2005 12:31:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SiM99

I've been thinking about the solution for this for a while now, got rather frustrated and then come to the conclusion that you HAVE to attempt to solve these things when the people included in the stories are online.

There's no way that I could get the crew (or other info) of Delmkorval when a "/who Delmkorval" just told me that he was last online at "hh:mm dd/mm/yyyy" :)

Dunno where I'm going with this really... but I guess it's worth asking if the people will be online at the time you post the puzzles each Friday, and also what time that will be... if it's pre-chosen, that is?
Simm
Wyvern's Pride
Broadsiders
Midnight
M11... oh, hang on - no postcode.
Sorry, thought I was in reality for a minute there!
[May 24, 2005 1:02:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Nay, if ye /who Delmkorval and then click on his name, ye will see his crew, flag, title, etc listed right there, even if he be offline.
[May 24, 2005 1:48:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vamps

Sits and waits for next puzzle, whilst supping me rum and singing pirately songs!!

Vamps
xXx
[May 27, 2005 12:48:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Ask and ye shall receive:
Prologue, with Trivia Contest
[May 27, 2005 12:56:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

vamps wrote: 
Or can we at least have this up as a sticky, there are loads of pages here LOL.

oooooo - thankee to whatever moderator stickied this thread!
[Jun 1, 2005 6:16:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Chapter 1: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is now posted. Ye have until noon Pacific on Monday June 6th to submit yer answers.

G'luck mates!
[Jun 3, 2005 1:40:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Chapter 2: Escapade on Eta is now posted. Ye have until noon Pacific on Monday June 13th to submit yer answers.

Fer those who missed the Chapter 1 contest, dinna despair! Each week is worth 100 points, and anybody who scores at least 500 points out of the possible 600 will get some kind of prize at the end (as well as all those tied fer first in a single week's puzzle get a prize that week).

Current list of contestants:
100 points
Birchle, Blinkoing, Bootlicker, Browngotee, Ceylon, Harmoniness, Headlock, Helystra, Imogene, Kargach, Lessah, Madmarymeade, Maus, Montblanc, Myrhna, Oneiropoios, Seamonkey, Shava, Sloshy, Simm, Tamsin, Yngvild, Yukinon

98 points
Liy

95 points
Majandra, Rmarzbarr

88 points
Lilalee
[Jun 10, 2005 1:40:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 68   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates