• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2102 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
tw11st38r

CHATTING: What did I just say? I want to say it again! Reply to this Post

A nice little feature, as you'd see in IRC, Linux, DOSKEY (heh), is the up arrow that cycles back through your typing history.

Then I don't have to type: "come buy stuff from me", or "well done mateys", etc, over and over.

Blackdeath
[May 19, 2003 3:08:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Livesey

Re: CHATTING: What did I just say? I want to say it again! Reply to this Post

Aye, I also miss the power of the up arrow, especially when I mis-spelled someone's name in a /tell.

But that's not to say I don't like the ease of telling the same person a second time. Perhaps Tab could do that?

-Hethor
----------------------------------------
-Hethor
[May 19, 2003 11:14:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

I bet they initiall had that functionality, but instead went with the current where it's only the command and optional person name ie. /tell oneeyedwilly (great he HAD to choose that name).

Sometimes I've been grumbling that I didn't have a full history to scroll back thru, mostly when i misspell names like Hethor mentions.

I actually like that I can quickly send a new tell to willy without having to erase all the text first.

So if I had to choose I'll take what we have now. But perhaps an addition to include the full line for misspells?
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[May 19, 2003 2:51:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

there was some mention of this, and Peghead's reply:

Yeah... The problem here is that at the time the tell is sent to the server, we don't know
if it will succeed or not. And assuming we did save the whole message, the place where we get the response that says "bla is not online" is very removed from the code that manages the chat command history.

(see thread http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=475)

It does seem a bit inconsistent tho, typing "/tlel arrrrrrr hi" will keep your full message there, while typing "/tell arrrr hi" (assuming the name is wrong) deletes the whole thing. Which I can understand from the programmers point of view, but not from the UI.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 19, 2003 10:32:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

tw11st38r wrote: 
Then I don't have to type: "come buy stuff from me", or "well done mateys", etc, over and over.

How many well-adjusted pirates say the same thing over and over again? In my view, it's a slight inconvenience to retype what I miswrote. It's a great inconvenience for me to same on the same island as a brand new pirate who's shouting (both with /shout and in all caps) repeatedly about the kl0z he n33dz. I'd rather that the parasite have to retype and reload before shouting again; I'll accept that I'll also have to retype messages once in a while.
[May 20, 2003 8:04:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tw11st38r

1. Where it comes in handy is, say I'm selling my clothes, I may have the same sort of spiel that i want to say again.

2. Othertimes people COMPLETELY miss what we type becasue often there is a lot going on in the chat bubbles.

3. After a battle I like to congratulate my crew, and encourage them before... it's handy to up arrow through my responses. Somtimes we're 10 and 20 battles deep. Why retype it over and over?

4. If you're yelling at a newbie to man a diff station, or people that don't look at their chat window when they place (this is addresses in a diff thread). SOmetimes i wanna yell several times... get that chat window moving.

It comes in more handy that you'd think...

Blackdeath
[May 20, 2003 8:18:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Livesey

I saw the post where the client doesn't know the success of the send ahead of time, but I'm advocating ALWAYS rememering the whole line. It's what I'm used to in everything else.

re-telling is a common shortcut, but it doesn't need to change the power of up arrow. AC uses /rt (short for /retell), my irc client uses tab. Having a reply shortcut is also handy.

-Hethor
-Hethor
[May 20, 2003 11:22:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Aye, but if ye ever make use of it, then ye should have to listen to everyone's spam. Those that never use it should have the spam option left on off. Har har har!
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[May 21, 2003 2:39:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Remembering the whole line Reply to this Post

Actually I expected the client to remember the whole line when we implemented this feature, but I prefer it now without. In a text mud, where you might repeat commands a bunch, it's more useful, but I'm more anxious about having to delete a bunch of useless text to get back to /tell blah, and Akebia's doodz scenario, than I am about retyping. Perhaps one day we can do alt-uparrow to reclaim whole lines. Hrm. And not enable it for newbies.
[May 21, 2003 3:05:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

I really think the big issue is with the tell. You could enable repeats for tells and vessels, but not for say, shout, and crew. That would prevent spam... Anyone starts tellin' me they want to sell me somethin' more than once, I know what to do with em...
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[May 21, 2003 3:11:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

if it could just be saved in case of a misspelled user name, that would be enough. I agree that I like it with just the /tell user saved and not the message. If I want to spout a message over and over again, I'll copy and paste the message.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 21, 2003 10:41:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
dnxthx

Tab completion? Reply to this Post

I think tab completion (a la bash/tcsh) would help for pirates with really long names.
Duncan
[size=10]Reformed Player
[size=8]Avatar by AaronZOOM
[May 21, 2003 10:08:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates