• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2498 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Einstein9073

Playing on school computers Reply to this Post

I'm trying to play Puzzle Pirates at school. When I click the "Game Start" link (.../dclient.jnlp) the client starts to load, but then aborts.

"Unable to Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates."

The details:
An error occurred while launching/running the application.
Category: Download Error

under the Exception tab:
JNLPException[category: Download Error : Exception: java.io.IOException: Unable to create temp. file for: xxxxxxxxxx : LaunchDesc: null ]

My temp directory is available and working. I don't understand why the app won't launch.
----------------------------------------
Einstein, Fellucia
Yarr, matey.

[May 15, 2003 5:17:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scn.org/~einstein [Link]  Go to top 
Hevneren

Arr Reply to this Post

u have the latest java version on the machine?
Give up or taste my swordfight skills!
hArr hArr!
[May 15, 2003 5:47:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Einstein9073

Java Version Reply to this Post

These machines have Java version 1.4.1 installed, which is the latest release version of the JRE available.
Einstein, Fellucia
Yarr, matey.

[May 15, 2003 5:54:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scn.org/~einstein [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
Java Web Start Reply to this Post

First off, I would advise you to edit out that html. Secondly, you also need the java web start installed along with jre I think
[May 16, 2003 7:53:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Raiderman23

Re: Playing on school computers Reply to this Post

Why would you want to play at school? I perfer to play in the privacy at my house. My school doesn't allow it anyways. And they are strict!
Browngotee,
Second Chair (Officer) of Keepers of the Forte
[May 16, 2003 8:01:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Einstein9073

Is it possible to get a reply from someone who doesn't insult my intelligence? Please?

There is no HTML in my post. And Web Start comes installed with the JRE, you idiot. How could I have an error in the JWS if I didn't have it installed?

I want to play at school. "Why" is really none of your concern.
Einstein, Fellucia
Yarr, matey.

[May 19, 2003 5:42:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scn.org/~einstein [Link]  Go to top 
Livesey

The exception it threw was that it couldn't create a temporary file. I'd look on the sun support forums for help on that; it probably has to do with how your account is set up.

-Hethor

I did a quick google for that error, and it turned up this link. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not (or who would even need to make this change), but the symptoms are identical:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?thread=251898&forum=38&message=1372977
-Hethor
[May 19, 2003 10:56:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Did you ever get it to work on the school computers?
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[May 21, 2003 8:24:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
uzi

Just my thoughts Reply to this Post

Many schools have firewalls that prevent certain things from loading in certain computers.
I could be wrong, but I know I have experienced this, and only with certain log in codes can you have access to such things.
Many schools do not allow games to be played on their computers.
It would be fun to be able to play it at school with a group where you could all sit around and plot and plan strategies.
Let us know how you solved this when you do.
Still hanging 10 through life and looking for the endless summmer.
[May 21, 2003 3:09:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Did you ever get it to work on the school computers?
nay... That link from google was one of the ones I had found when I looked, and it didn't help any.

The problem doesn't seem to be transitory, so I fear I'm going to have to ask one of the lab guys. They tend to be inflexible about "Use of Uni Resources" so I probably won't get anywhere. But it appears to be my only hope.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Einstein9073

Blast. That post above is mine. Really.

Why can't I log in to the board with Nyetscape?
Einstein, Fellucia
Yarr, matey.

[May 21, 2003 5:01:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scn.org/~einstein [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Do you only have write access to a certain folder or group of folders? My first thoughts are that it is trying to place the temp file in a restricted location. Does your school generally let you install applications as you see fit? Are you in an NT environment? If it helps, you have at least one each of java and NT wizards in yer crew. =) Har!
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[May 21, 2003 5:17:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
twopee

This is one forum topic that angers me, both as a taxpayer and also as a school faculty staff. I have been faculty since the inception of PCs and Apples in the late 70's.
At first, the games were left on the computers in the hopes of enticing reticent students and staff into logging on and becoming familiar with the BEAST. They served a purpose and improved keyboard skills. As the district added the internet, and people were holding up business because they "had to finish this game" or "had to finish this shopping order at Toys-R-Nobody" the games were removed and blocks were applied.
The computer instructors were the first to sit back and watch. They watched the creative and brilliant students find the blocks and counteract them. And then a week or so afterwards, we would let the blockers know they had another loophole to close.

But the internet is for BUSINESS, NOT GAMES. It is costly, and so are the blockers we need to hire to keep the games and shoppers off the net so the rest of the distrcit can do work. If you are a student with time on yer hands, you are NOT doing what you are supposed to be doing. I don't care if it is your "free period" which only translates to "A STUDY" and means that ye use the time to further yer education.
If you chose to spend the time learning how blocks work, or trying to break them, I will consider that an education in itself. But asking a million people on a forum to help you, is NOT in keeping with the spirit of a free education that we all help pay for. Try learning how to research it yourself on the web, or take an on-line course that will teach ye more about blocking.

If the public realized how much money is spent on these blockers, and how much money is wasted for internet services by people playing games or doing non-educational things, there would probably be no more computers in the schools.

Please, use your free time for educational pursuits or study. Leave the computers for their intended purpose ... EDUCATION !
[Jan 11, 2007 4:52:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Please make sure you are viewing the forums in the proper order; that is, most recent first.

Your last two posts bumped threads that were 3.5 years old.

Thank you :-)
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jan 11, 2007 6:13:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates