• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 42
Posts: 42   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4299 times and has 41 replies Next Thread
Tedv

New Markets

We've opened new markets on the following islands:

Frond
Vernal Equinox
Delta
Lagniappe
Waterberry

We thought it would be good to give players more reason to visit far away islands, so here's one of them.

Please note that opening these markets has no impact on blockades. These islands are still closed for blockades. In the future we might open some of them.

Also note that Coral gems should now spawn in markets around the ocean, which Delta market should now buy.
[Apr 20, 2005 10:15:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryani

Please make trading more accessible

Merchants provide a function the players didn't fill--providing goods to islands at a fair price. Markets only spawn goods for players. This forces most shopkeepers run a dual-business: shop/stall management, and shipping goods from offshore markets.

I want to just play the shop management game, not the trading/shipping game. I don't trust myself to make accurate value judgements when I am trading goods for my own shop. On the other hand, I'm happy to pay a fair price to a trader to move goods from the market to the island with my shop, but the trading game is too inefficient right now and thus there are very few traders.

Merchants have the ability to see what every island in the ocean is paying for their goods. Why not players? They can determine if it's worth their time and risk to sail further for a greater profit. And I might actually play the trading game this way, too... but not for my own shop!

Let the players see what the current bid/ask prices are at markets and docks. You could even suggest potential profitable routes. Let traders actually play the shipping game, instead of the "hop around islands and hope to maybe find a profitable route" game.
----------------------------------------
Blithey
Carpenter and Distiller of the Mad Mutineers
Midnight Armada
[Apr 20, 2005 10:25:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Re: New Markets

Thankee so much fer putting the market on Vernal Equinox! Now Beta weaveries don't have to choose between setting buy price to 7 to attract merchies or shipping the stuff all the way from Papaya or Oyster. Vernal Eq is a reasonable distance to sail.

With luck people will sail up here to get cheap thorianite and sincosite and broom flower too now.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Apr 20, 2005 10:57:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joneth

Re: Please make trading more accessible

ryani wrote: 
Let the players see what the current bid/ask prices are at markets and docks. You could even suggest potential profitable routes. Let traders actually play the shipping game, instead of the "hop around islands and hope to maybe find a profitable route" game.

I like the idea of making market info more accessible, but leave the figuring out of trade routes to the player. Just provide raw data, please.
[Apr 20, 2005 10:59:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

My lawn!!!1!!one!

/em sulks
[Apr 20, 2005 11:14:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Irelay

Tedv wrote: 
Vernal Equinox

yay.

More traffic in Sapphire! More more more! [size=7]please.
Irelay l Otherwhen l Water Sleeps
Mightnight Ocean pirate since August '04
[Apr 20, 2005 11:22:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bemis

Are there going to be ferries to these islands as well, or is it a whisk-only proposition? And, are maps to them going to be sold in the shipyards as well?
Bemis - Senior Officer, Yarr Talk/National Pirate Radio on Cobalt
[Apr 20, 2005 12:37:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whiplash

bemis wrote: 
Are there going to be ferries to these islands as well, or is it a whisk-only proposition? And, are maps to them going to be sold in the shipyards as well?

Ferries yes. Shipyards only sell maps to the islands connecting to them so there shouldn't be anything new there.

Dmentia bows to the wisdom of Whiplash.

[Apr 20, 2005 12:44:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
rwdw1987

Will the merchant bots still deliver from those islands?
Phin
Former King of Carpe Noctem
Normally drunk but playing anyway
Will Moo for poe.
================================
Reenie says, "And please stop thinking new players are a bunch of supid people."
Sometimes ye just need to say Moo
[Apr 20, 2005 1:04:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    phinthepirate [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

Probably not.
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Apr 20, 2005 2:04:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

It would be nice if Merchants dilevered stuff from markets at a variance with the prices at the market; that is to say they ship more stuff from cheap markets (and possibly raise the price a little bit) based on the fact that that's where the good deals are.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Apr 20, 2005 2:13:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeattleBrian

A little advance warning would have been nice. But, some nice temporary poe fountains for people who happened to be able to be online when the markets were created. 12 hours later, I was still able to find butterfly weed's highest bid at one island as 12 poe.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Woohoo for Waterberry!
(Not to be confused with Coocoo for cocopuffs)
Epimetheus
Retired

[Apr 20, 2005 8:57:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

SeattleBrian wrote: 
A little advance warning would have been nice. But, some nice temporary poe fountains for people who happened to be able to be online when the markets were created. 12 hours later, I was still able to find butterfly weed's highest bid at one island as 12 poe.

The thing about advance warning is that sometimes it gets given and then everyone asks where the changes are, because they get delayed or scrapped, and then people complain they shouldn't have been warned because they started acting on the new information ahead of time.

Not saying it is always a bad thing, but keep in mind there's a good reason not to give too many warnings :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 20, 2005 9:23:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

rixation wrote: 
Woohoo for Waterberry!
(Not to be confused with Coocoo for cocopuffs)

Now I have no reason to run my Stay The Hell Away From Waterberry contest. I moved to Norse, but really, there's not much of a contest involved in getting people to stay the hell away from Norse.
[Apr 20, 2005 9:27:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

SeattleBrian wrote: 

The celebratory gold ores were a nice touch. OoooOoo shiny!
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Apr 20, 2005 10:43:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

rwdw1987 wrote: 
Will the merchant bots still deliver from those islands?

Well... yarrow spawns at just Flow and Beta and i got delivered some yarrow by merchants at Beta...
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Apr 21, 2005 1:33:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
Tedv

homullus wrote: 
My lawn!!!1!!one!

/em sulks

Sorry about that, but we didn't have a choice for Opal's market. The archepelago spawns less wood than any other-- it's only at Waterberry, and not in large supply. It's also somewhat inconvenient (7 leagues to Nu, 10 to Orca and Endurance). At least it's better than the previous option of 25 leagues to Spring. Anyway, Wood is the most important commodity for island development because it's used in both rum and shot and is a pain to move. Just like you can't really expect people to want to live in Sapphire without one hemp port nearby, you can't expect people to live in Opal without a wood port.
[Apr 21, 2005 1:50:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Rmarsbar wrote: 
Well... yarrow spawns at just Flow and Beta and i got delivered some yarrow by merchants at Beta...

Maybe they came from flow (very slowly) before the market was put up.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Apr 21, 2005 1:52:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

No, that yarrow would have been delivered by the Flow merchants. Markets mean no more merchant shippers.
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Apr 21, 2005 1:57:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

If I'm not mistaken, though, Delta was the only place left that spawned weld. I have a bad feeling that if the only way to get weld is to bid it and sail it from somewhere inconvenient (or hope some enterprising trader decides to do it). Yellow dye's price is going to get higher than demand warrants-it's already dirt cheap and doesn't sell as it is.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Apr 21, 2005 2:01:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
KoshMom

Why no new markets in Ruby arch? I feel left out....
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[Apr 21, 2005 2:35:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Tedv wrote: 
homullus wrote: 
My lawn!!!1!!one!

/em sulks

Sorry about that, but we didn't have a choice for Opal's market. The archepelago spawns less wood than any other-- it's only at Waterberry, and not in large supply. It's also somewhat inconvenient (7 leagues to Nu, 10 to Orca and Endurance). At least it's better than the previous option of 25 leagues to Spring. Anyway, Wood is the most important commodity for island development because it's used in both rum and shot and is a pain to move. Just like you can't really expect people to want to live in Sapphire without one hemp port nearby, you can't expect people to live in Opal without a wood port.

Oh, no, I totally understand. Nor do I think there needs to be advance notice. Had there been advance notice, though, I wouldn't have soloed a war brig from Alpha to Waterberry two weeks ago.
[Apr 21, 2005 2:38:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Joneth

KoshMom wrote: 
Why no new markets in Ruby arch? I feel left out....

Ruby has 4 large colonized islands, Opal has 2 large and an outpost, Jet has 2 large, Pearl has 1 Large, the only medium in Midnight and an outpost, Sapphire and Coral each have one large and an outpost.

Opal, Sapphire and Pearl had a need for nearby basic commodities, and Delta means that Coral gems can now spawn.
Not sure why Lagniappe instead of Eclipse, though.
[Apr 21, 2005 2:43:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Eclipse pretty much spawns what Xi and Chap's markets already spawn, if I'm not mistaken (it also might be one of the art islands, I can't remember). Lag is an island people want to colonize anyway, so a market might as well be placed on it. Of course the same argument could be made to justify Delta-although I've been saving the "omg no more weld" argument ever since I heard people had designs on it q=
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Apr 21, 2005 2:57:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Re: Please make trading more accessible

ryani wrote: 
Merchants provide a function the players didn't fill--providing goods to islands at a fair price.

Not true. There were many of us who used to forage and then sail the commods to port and sell them to the shops, just like the merchy bots do now. When foraging dissappeared, I lost a major poe source in the game.

With markets on more islands, I can get back into the trading game and you can still stay in your shop and post your buy prices. Player traders will supply your needs as readily as Merchy bots, if not more quickly.

JPC
Moo - What more is there to say ?
[Apr 21, 2005 3:03:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
Heygabe

More importantly, JPC, Player Merchants can be negotiated with.
--Watching the Mad Professor from a distance
If we are steadfast in our resolve to have fun, then fun we will have.
[Apr 21, 2005 3:05:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tedv

Joneth wrote: 
Not sure why Lagniappe instead of Eclipse, though.

Because we weren't sure if it was better for Eclipse to have a market or always be a merchant ship sail point. Putting the market on Lagniappe lets us punt the decision-- we can reevaluate Eclipse after Lagniappe gets colonized.
[Apr 21, 2005 3:56:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jwhitmire

Any chance we could get some new markets on Cobalt? Talk about remote islands that need visiting..... Plus, I'm tired of having to wait for the Merchies to bring me everything I need, I'd like to at least have some place on this far-flung ocean to go get it myself when I'm desparate.

Puh-leeeeeze?
Sloshbuckler

[Cobalt Ocean]
Captain of the Tee Martoonis
Lord of Raiders of the Lost Arch
[Apr 21, 2005 4:52:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KoshMom

It is nice to know that there will hopefully always be merchant-players who deliver goods to people across the ocean. However, it would be nice if there could always be merchant-bot ships that can deliver every type of good, if only rarely, to every island.
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[Apr 21, 2005 4:55:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 42   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates