• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5174 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
TheAxemaster

Officer who set the hiring jobber option receives jobbing notices and Reply to this Post

booty division shares as a function of the duty report performance

This is a main one for me, but is it possible to have tourneys that are not round based? What I mean is, if you are done with your SF, and your next opponent is done with their SF, why not just make it so that the two of you wait say 45 seconds, and then duke it out, instead of waiting until EVERYONE is done, then going on? That way the people that are eliminated reasonably early can go on and do other things like pillaging and having fun, instead of spending a couple of hours in a big tournement just sitting there waiting when they're only gonna make it to round 3 anyway, but just wanted to try.

Another thing is the jobbing notifications. I think it would be a good idea if only the person that jobbed them or whoever hit the hire jobbers button got the notifications, instead of everyone in the crew. Especially usefull for blockades, when half the chat is taken up by those notifications that the rest of us don't need to see, but who are trying to scan all the various chat channels for useful information while puzzling.

Almost last I would like to see the divvy as a function of the skill of the player by default. Not a huge difference, maybe +/- 10 or 15 percent or something like that, maybe making "Fine" be the non-adjustment point. But it rewards those of us that have put the time in to learn to do the puzzles consistantly well, and gives everyone else something to strive for, and people who just suck get a little less. Make it depend on average rating, or rating achieved at the end of the sea battle or some such thing. And people who aren't working don't get adjusted since you need extra hands on bigger pillages so people can swap out when they get tired, they shouldn't be penalized. If you want to penalize lazers, plank em and zero their cuts!

Oh, and more booty from brigands would be nice, maybe 10% more would be just sweet, in case the skill divvy doesn't come through.

Ok I'm done........for now

Thank ye,

Hesh
CotD/Seraph's Nightmare
----------------------------------------
Formerly Hesh, CotD Officer, Seraph's Nightmare on the Midnight Ocean
Currently Spike, SSS Senior Officer on the Viridian Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Dec 15, 2009 8:00:36 PM]
[Apr 15, 2005 1:30:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arthas

Re: Speed up Tourneys + a couple more things Reply to this Post

TheAxemaster wrote: 
This is a main one for me, but is it possible to have tourneys that are not round based? What I mean is, if you are done with your SF, and your next opponent is done with their SF, why not just make it so that the two of you wait say 45 seconds, and then duke it out, instead of waiting until EVERYONE is done, then going on? That way the people that are eliminated reasonably early can go on and do other things like pillaging and having fun, instead of spending a couple of hours in a big tournement just sitting there waiting when they're only gonna make it to round 3 anyway, but just wanted to try.

Although, in theory, it's a good idea, you'll end up waiting the same amount of time. Here's an example: You are person A.

Say you beat person B. Persons C&D finish their match; D wins. You go on to fight D and win. Meanwhile, Persons E&F and G&H are still in the first round. You must wait until they sort out to the third round for you to be able to continue.
Antioch/Vhailor-

Back with bigger guns.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Arthas at Apr 15, 2005 1:40:36 PM]
[Apr 15, 2005 1:40:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    antiochkinstar@yahoo.com    devolution T [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

TheAxemaster wrote: 

Of course this early out only works if ye are lucky enough to have an opponent who has also finished their matches early.

TheAxemaster wrote: 
Almost last I would like to see the divvy as a function of the skill of the player by default. Not a huge difference, maybe +/- 10 or 15 percent or something like that, maybe making "Fine" be the non-adjustment point. But it rewards those of us that have put the time in to learn to do the puzzles consistantly well, and gives everyone else something to strive for, and people who just suck get a little less. Make it depend on average rating, or rating achieved at the end of the sea battle or some such thing. And people who aren't working don't get adjusted since you need extra hands on bigger pillages so people can swap out when they get tired, they shouldn't be penalized. If you want to penalize lazers, plank em and zero their cuts!

By not taking part in the duty puzzles (on larger ships), poor puzzlers can avoid getting penalized. Conversely it may hurt them to do duty puzzles. Obvious slacking off can still be adjusted by the plank, as stated by the original poster.

If lazing about is the equivalent of doing "Fine" as far as booty shares is concerned, then it hurts a poor puzzler to puzzle all the time. Instead they should "take a break" and swap duties with others - on larger ships. Smaller ships have enough duty stations for all pirates on board.

TheAxemaster wrote: 
Oh, and more booty from brigands would be nice, maybe 10% more would be just sweet, in case the skill divvy doesn't come through.

If everyone who pillages gets more money, shop and stall owners will raise prices to cope with the increased buying power.

Faulkston,
inflationary
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Dec 15, 2009 8:00:48 PM]
[Apr 15, 2005 1:40:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
jlgijsbers

Say you beat person B. Persons C&D finish their match; D wins. You go on to fight D and win. Meanwhile, Persons E&F and G&H are still in the first round. You must wait until they sort out to the third round for you to be able to continue.

But person D has to wait less. :)

+1 on the idea from me.
Blinkoing
Walking with pumas in Bolivia. Ex-cabin person of DyD.
[Apr 15, 2005 1:52:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jlgijsbers [Link]  Go to top 
ed315

Arthas wrote: 

Let's change it up a little. Say All matches with A, B, C, D are average length. Say E-F & G-H are really short matches. But E-H is a really long match. If E-H gets to start earlier, then A has to wait a shorter time, or E-H might finish first even though it was a longer 2nd round match.

The current set-up maximizes the time it takes to complete the tourney. Therefore, any change can only help. It won't always, but it will never be worse. Two thumbs up.
Aschen

Nemo wrote: 
Actually, when I suggested it months ago, Cleaver told me not to. So, this time I didn't tell him.

[Apr 15, 2005 2:16:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peghead
Developer

This has been suggested before and is on the list, as well as doing alternate tournament structures.
[Apr 15, 2005 2:35:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

hm... I wonder if a cap limit on tournies has been suggested or not and round robins. I would love to see maybe a 8 person 2000 entry, 3 round, round robin, cascading based on the number of wins for a drinking tourney. Better test of skill if you becuase you are allowed a game of bad luck and still have a chance to win.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Apr 15, 2005 2:42:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Triumvirete

Wait, you say one match is longer than the other...but there would be no way of telling beforehand, thus it would just be random selections of people starting earlier and generally, the average-length matches would end up waiting even longer...which would create more problems than it fixed
--Aelesaia
[Apr 15, 2005 3:49:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    aelesaia [Link]  Go to top 
ed315

Triumvirete wrote: 
Wait, you say one match is longer than the other...but there would be no way of telling beforehand, thus it would just be random selections of people starting earlier and generally, the average-length matches would end up waiting even longer...which would create more problems than it fixed

You can never wait longer than under the current system. While you may wait more between two specific rounds under this format, your total wait time will be equal to or less than the status quo.
Aschen

Nemo wrote: 
Actually, when I suggested it months ago, Cleaver told me not to. So, this time I didn't tell him.

[Apr 15, 2005 3:57:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

TheAxemaster wrote: 

I like..... I have wanted this for ages.

Other way of doing torney to make them shorter again is to do away with the fixture completly. Everyone starts in the round 1 pool. When you win you move into the round 2 pool etc. As soon as you have 2 people in the same pool they fight rather than waiting on everybody. You just have to work out if you have the same current system of sending as many people as posible straight into round 2 to get your current ^2 people in a round, or have, if its an odd number in the round, give either the first person a bye (reward people for fighting and winning quickly) or the last person (give the person with a hard fought victory a rest, and also speeds up the torney slightly as well)
2 downsides, you cant have a "seed by rank" option anymore and I like being able to see who I get to fight if I win (not that I ever win but still)

meh, go back to the original sugestion.
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Apr 15, 2005 7:45:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pepsidave14

The proposed change to tournies will speed them up. The only time it won't have an effect is if a person who gets to the finals happens to be in the longest fight in every round.

This will be *great* for those huge tournies with 100+ people.
~Hogus
~Senior Officer of Pirates of the Damned
[Apr 16, 2005 12:51:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.davespictures.org [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I heard tourney!

I once thought this would be cool, too, but then changed my mind. Here's the problem: It may be spiffy for people who lose and want to get it over with, and it has the POSSIBILITY of shortening the total time, but it can really really suck in large tournaments for people who make it to the later rounds. Imagine the example Arthas gives, but for a 128 person tournament. The person who makes it to the finals might have to wait 30 minutes, or even longer. That's just rediculous, you could take a nap in that time. By evening out the start times for each round, you massively reduce the maximum wait time between rounds. I'd rather have 5 minutes between each of 6 rounds than start the first 5 immediately and wait 30 minutes before the last.

There's also somethign to be said about the group. Everyone is entering round 2 now and wish each other good luck. Keeping everyone on the same plane maintains a kind of tournament flow that I think has more benefits than you might think.

In the end, it really only benefits people who are losing in the 2nd or 3rd round, and only if they "want to get it over with". But it seems silly to tailor tournaments toward people who want to be done with it as soon as possible. Maybe it's just me though.
[Apr 16, 2005 8:18:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
FitzChivalry

Why couldnt it be an optional thing?

Like the Tourney Creator could chose to do it that way or not.
~RudeGesture on the Hunter Ocean~

[Apr 16, 2005 8:39:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryani

Arthas wrote: 
Although, in theory, it's a good idea, you'll end up waiting the same amount of time. Here's an example: You are person A.

There is a fallacy in this. Here's a counterexample:
A,B,C, and D have a slow first fight. E,F,G, and H have a very fast first fight and immediately start their second round. But E and H have a long, difficult second match, while A and D finish their second match very quickly.

The two times are actually now about equal. In the current system, the winners of EF and GH have to wait for the slow fights of AB and CD to finish in the first round, and the winner of ABCD has to wait for the slow fight of the EFGH round. If the matches started as soon as they were ready, there would be no waiting for anyone at all!
Blithey
Carpenter and Distiller of the Mad Mutineers
Midnight Armada
[Apr 16, 2005 10:01:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Bumped for agreement. Non-round-based tournies are provably shorter for some participants any time there is variation in game length. They are never longer for anyone. For 130 person tournaments, they would save literally hours of time.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Aug 30, 2005 1:14:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chainmaille

And for those who complain about making it to the last fight and then having to wait thirty minutes:

1) You're only one person at that point (or only 4 or 8, depending on where you put the cutoff). Making one person wait is much better than making 64 wait.

2) A thirty-minute break is enough to go out and do something in. Probably not something away from YPP, but you could go navy, craft, or play parlor games. Pillaging would probably be a bad idea - the swordfight in pillages could yank you from the tourney.

I support speeding up of tourneys. Some of them are downright interminable.
Derakon - Black Plague on Viridian and Sage
[Aug 30, 2005 1:35:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
n00bKiLLa

I don't need to walk around in circles, walk around in circles, walk around in circles.
dai n0oBz
[Aug 30, 2005 3:32:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryboy5

This is a good idea, IMO.

It lets the people that will lose be done so they don't have to wait for everyone else to be done.

I don't feel sorry for you if you are a winner and have to wait. You tried to win, and you're closer to a bigger prize. If you didn't want to wait, you shouldn't have tried to win the tourney.

As it has been said, this either does nothing to the current time schedule or it speeds it up for some people.

And if you don't want to wait for a long period, go do something else while you wait.

I just don't see a really good reason why this shouldn't be added.
==Gameboy, nerd of the Seas==
Those are some nice pants.

Poseidon says, "then tell me THAT ONE!! PWEESE"
[Aug 30, 2005 4:17:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.double-u-double-u-double-u-dot-dot-com.com [Link]  Go to top 
Shivver

Almost last I would like to see the divvy as a function of the skill of the player by default. Not a huge difference, maybe +/- 10 or 15 percent or something like that, maybe making "Fine" be the non-adjustment point.

Big vote no for this.

Even with only being able to see rankings of other players, there is too much pressure on everyone to improve, improve, improve and pull Excellents and Ultimates. The game is designed to not penalize players for not excelling at the puzzles, to try to alleviate this pressure (meaning, even with a ship of Fines and Goods, you can compete with the brigands pretty well) -- so that people can not worry and have a good time overall. Yet the player base still puts a huge emphasis on your puzzling skills -- the main example of this are the "elite" pillages that require that you be Leg/Ult in the station you'll be filling.

Assessing a monetary penalty will only just discourage those without excellent skills even more. With such a penalty, not only can they not get into the big money-making pillages, they will be making even less on the "normal" pillages they go on. And in addition to being ranked at the bottom of all the duty rosters, they'll have considerably less poe at the end, compared to the others, whose shares will correspondingly go up.

That's just too much, in my opinion.
[Aug 30, 2005 4:39:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates