• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 86
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12749 times and has 85 replies Next Thread
RobertDonald

[Raffle] Cnossos

Wanting to enjoy pleasant Easter holidays without too much hanging over our heads, our flag has decided to raffle off Cnossos. The raffle will take place at 7 pm PST on Tuesday, March 29. The last chance to buy a raffle ticket will be an hour before this.

Rules:

1) Raffle tickets will cost 30,000 pieces of eight each. You can also pay for them in ships, with sloops valued at 10k, cutters at 20k, war brigs at 40k, war frigates at 80k...

2) Anyone may buy a raffle ticket.

3) The island will be transferred to the winner's flag of choice. Approval of the flag's monarch will be required for this, though. If you want to be the mad ruler of Cnossos with a crazy-named one-man alt flag, go for it.

4) The list of ticket purchasers will be public. If you want to be secret, buy one with an alt.

5) The minimum number of raffle tickets will be 16. If less than 16 tickets are bought, the raffle will still take place with the remaining tickets being bought by the flag of Scallywag Syndicate to have a chance of keeping the island. If more than 16 are purchased, then none shall be held by us or used towards our flag.

6) The winner will be determined by the first non-fries non-hook piece in a table drinking game. First, we will post up a list of raffle ticket holders for all to see, with each assigned to various pieces. Each ticket will be assigned a piece. For example, someone with two tickets might be assigned "blue jug" and "blue cup." For 1/4/4 drinking, the possible containers are cup, goblet, jug and horn. The possible colors are blue, orange, purple, and yellow.

- If there are 16 or fewer tickets, we will use a 1/4/4 drinking game.

- If there are more than 16 tickets, we will use a higher number of containers, 1/4/5 for example. If we pick a piece not assigned to anyone, we will do over, complete with a new table. This could happen, for example, if there are 17 tickets out, and 20 possible pieces in 1/4/5.

Myself and Jacktheblack will be handling selling the raffle tickets. You can /tell us in game, or PM us on the forums to arrange something. We will put up the list of ones sold so far (with assigned pieces) in the Cnossos Realtor.

Notes:
- Yes, we do intend to walk away with a pile of money in our pockets.
- The island of Cnossos is fairly full, but you can still tax people and use the palace/realtor to buy/sell/store stuff.
- No guarantees as far as blockades go, but I think most flags would rather blockade islands with more shop space...
- This drinking game will be a sight to behold!

[size=9]Edit 1: Changed day from Thursday March 24 to Tuesday March 29
Edit 2: Added the time zone.
----------------------------------------
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by RobertDonald at Mar 21, 2005 7:09:59 AM]
[Mar 21, 2005 7:09:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

Re: [Raffle] Cnossos

Now that sounds like a hoot, maybe I'll e'en scrounge up the change t'bet.
Potato Jones: Steam-Powered, High-Flying
[Mar 21, 2005 7:15:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

In order clear up any confusion, here is the chart we will fill in when a person buys a raffle ticket. We fill from the top row on down. We plan on only using the 4 main colors, but will move to a 5th as needed. This chart will be updated with the names of the ticket holders after the buying period has closed and updated here before the winning peice is placed.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Jacktheblack at Mar 21, 2005 7:31:11 AM]
[Mar 21, 2005 7:31:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
RaelShark

Are blockades even allowed on Easter?

Just curious...
Shark
Mascot of Ransack Marauders
[Mar 21, 2005 7:33:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.ransackmarauders.com [Link]  Go to top 
bremenbard

Where are you accepting poe for this, RD? Cnossos only, or.... ?
Redrumjack
Fleet Officer - Ransack Marauders
In Vino Veritas - There is truth in Wine
[Mar 21, 2005 7:37:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

bremenbard wrote: 
Where are you accepting poe for this, RD? Cnossos only, or.... ?

We accept POE at any island that has a bank.
[Mar 21, 2005 7:41:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

Re: Cnossos Raffle

RobertDonald wrote: 
Wanting to enjoy pleasant Easter holidays without losing our island, because sticking around and having a blockade would make us lose it, and thank heavens that the hols are this weekend--whew!--, our flag has decided to raffle off Cnossos because we're chicken to go more than one round. As usual.

Fixed.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Mar 21, 2005 7:47:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bremenbard

Assuming a successful sale / transfer of the island to the winner, how long is Scallywag Syndicate willing to forego blockading same said island?
Redrumjack
Fleet Officer - Ransack Marauders
In Vino Veritas - There is truth in Wine
[Mar 21, 2005 8:36:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Selling the island for 500k then paying 150 jobbers 3000 poe per round would not be cost effective.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Mar 21, 2005 8:38:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PsychoMantis

I think if you sell less than 16 tickets, Vilya should buy the rest.
Legionnaire, Imperial Fist Chapter
Prince of Lost Legion
[Mar 21, 2005 8:46:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Hey, if they want to give me money...
Quizzical wrote: 

[Mar 21, 2005 8:53:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Schnieder

Oh, and can you pay from multiple banks? :P

But don't expect to pay for your raffle ticket with American Express! :P
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Schnieder at Mar 21, 2005 9:45:23 AM]
[Mar 21, 2005 9:45:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soulja

Re: Cnossos Raffle

Thusnelda wrote: 
RobertDonald wrote: 
Wanting to enjoy pleasant Easter holidays without losing our island, because sticking around and having a blockade would make us lose it, and thank heavens that the hols are this weekend--whew!--, our flag has decided to raffle off Cnossos because we're chicken to go more than one round. As usual.

Fixed.

Please.
Nemesis wrote: 
Please remove your current signature as, out of context, it is inappropriate.

Idaa wrote: 
people like you are why the world is such a mess and hope you don/t spawn more kids

[Mar 21, 2005 9:51:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Moved from events.
[Mar 21, 2005 10:06:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

This is kinda cool actually. Count me in, if I can find someone to con out of 30k.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Mar 21, 2005 10:09:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

I don't think anyone 'round here is ever gonna mistake me fer a hearty of Robertdonald's, but I just gotta say it: this is one o' the cleverest raffle mechanisms I've ever heard of.

Good luck, mates. Hope it all goes smoothly fer ye.
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Mar 21, 2005 11:07:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

Schnieder wrote: 
Oh, and can you pay from multiple banks? :P

But don't expect to pay for your raffle ticket with American Express! :P

We will accept it from Multiple Banks with in reason.
[Mar 21, 2005 11:54:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Hmm...

30K?

And it's not like anyone would want to take it from me if I got it, right?

Oh, Zeta was raffling at 25K per ticket. Sold 10.

(20% chance and I didn't get it :-)
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Mar 21, 2005 12:22:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

You've got to be kidding.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Mar 21, 2005 1:28:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soulja

Zeta is not in the Diamond archipelago, and the presentation was honestly much worse.

Rob's personaly honor spin about handing off islands peacefully is a bit comical, admittedley. If that's what you're talking about, Zoom.
Nemesis wrote: 
Please remove your current signature as, out of context, it is inappropriate.

Idaa wrote: 
people like you are why the world is such a mess and hope you don/t spawn more kids

[Mar 21, 2005 1:47:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

Can I buy and ticket but opt out if less than 16 tickets are bought?
Funny exam answers | Free online contests
[Mar 21, 2005 1:49:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FireFtr151

Legitimate & entertaining, buyer beware is all.

Guranteed blockade, who can't love that.
Crotty
[Mar 21, 2005 1:53:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jyn

*Examines crystal ball*

Seems to me as if there's flags currently interested in blockading Cnossos. Hence, unless you've got the ships and manpower to back it up, I wouldn't be too surprised if you get a very short tenure at Cnossos after winning it.
Jyn
First Mate of British Sea Power, Midnight Ocean
[Mar 21, 2005 6:25:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
maisutero

Everyone's so quick to rain on RD's parade. Odds are good anyone who has 30k to drop on a raffle ticket knows exactly what they are getting into, so I think you can save all the doom and gloom. Personally I hope that the event is popular and sells lots of tickets so that we can see more RD blockades down the road. -g
Grundie
Captain of CoU
Mad Scientist of U
Troublemaker of M
[Mar 21, 2005 8:20:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

Jyn wrote: 
*Examines crystal ball*

Seems to me as if there's flags currently interested in blockading Cnossos. Hence, unless you've got the ships and manpower to back it up, I wouldn't be too surprised if you get a very short tenure at Cnossos after winning it.

I disagree with Jyn and i'm going to assert that people like blockading Robertdonald and/or their ex-flagmates. With apologies to Rob for putting this disclaimer here, I was a liason to the previous owners who really, er, didn't particularly like owning the island that much.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Mar 21, 2005 8:42:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jyn

Shanoyu wrote: 
I disagree with Jyn and i'm going to assert that people like blockading Robertdonald and/or their ex-flagmates. With apologies to Rob for putting this disclaimer here, I was a liason to the previous owners who really, er, didn't particularly like owning the island that much.

And I'm going to counter-disagree with you!

Your argument obviously misses the point - from the perspective of having owned Cnossos, it's perfectly possible that the previous owners didn't enjoy owning it. This does not mean that, e.g., Harbingers are not dizzy with anticipation at the prospect of owning Cnossos. And whilst it is quite possible that after a few months they'll find the experience to have been less fun than they anticipated, that doesn't mean they aren't genuinely looking forward to it now. And to bring in points from a thread in Game Design, there's not likely to be any new islands opening any time soon, so for the time being, Cnossos is one of the few islands in the ocean that a flag can take without incurring Alliance Doom, and Negative Forum Tart PR.

It may be the case that RD's ownership is a factor in the decision, but I'd have said that's because he's looking weak right now. The RAWR blockade weekend can't have done his invincible reputation any good, and since then he seems to be advertising the fact that he's running out of money, or at least not willing to allocate much more to the defence of Cnossos, which looks the Cnossos defence look even more shaky.

Either way, I don't expect that the Ringers will co-operate with this scheme. It's always been their preference that blockades are used to determine island ownership, so it seems unlikely that they'd simply transfer island ownership while there's at least one flag willing to blockade for it. I suggest to anyone thinking of dropping 30k on a ticket that they might stand a better chance by dropping 150k on a chest. If you don't think that you can do that, then there's not much chance of you keeping the island in the long or even medium term.
Jyn
[Mar 21, 2005 9:16:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
ZSA004

It wasn't that enjoyable. But there were circumstances then that don't exist now. So it's possible to still have fun with it.
Iskra says, "You're the sweetest pirate I've seen in the the whole ocean"
[Mar 21, 2005 9:34:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ZSA004 [Link]  Go to top 
Jyn

And remember folks:

RobertDonald wrote: 
Note to all potential participants:

There is no point in winning the (event). No flag will be allowed to hold an island they got through invasive developer interference and protection.

Jyn
[Mar 21, 2005 9:36:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Jyn wrote: 
And remember folks:

RobertDonald wrote: 
Note to all potential participants:

There is no point in winning the (event). No flag will be allowed to hold an island they got through invasive developer interference and protection.

I fail to see how this applis to this situation. That statement was made due to the fact that blockades were turned OFF because of a dev event being held. It's 2 different situation.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Mar 21, 2005 10:03:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jyn

Just pointing out that some people don't mind dev interference when it suits them.
Jyn
[Mar 21, 2005 10:44:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates