• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 26
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1667 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
54x

Piratify a little more d3wdspeak Reply to this Post

Can we please do something about "kewl?" That is all :)
----------------------------------------
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Mar 11, 2005 4:02:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Heygabe

Re: Piratify a little more d3wdspeak Reply to this Post

"Fahg" is priority.
--Watching the Mad Professor from a distance
If we are steadfast in our resolve to have fun, then fun we will have.
[Mar 11, 2005 4:40:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

54x wrote: 

I dunno, since some people around here actually do pronounce it that way, it's got a better lineage than "ur."
[Mar 11, 2005 4:45:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
54x

homullus wrote: 
54x wrote: 

I dunno, since some people around here actually do pronounce it that way, it's got a better lineage than "ur."

Maybe. I'd like to get rid of "u r" too, come to think of it ;) It's just such an eyesore :(
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Mar 11, 2005 4:46:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

I think that mogrified texts shouldn't be permitted as the beginning of a pirate name (i.e. Wtfblsdkfjal, or Omgsdldkfj, etc.)
[Mar 11, 2005 4:47:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

Yes, preventing users from typing what they want into the console should be a #1 priority. Thank you grammar nazi diamondblade.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Mar 11, 2005 5:17:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

There are certain internet new-speak terms that have crept into common usage that would piratify well.

cya: "We shall meet again"
l8r: "until the morrow"

cya l8r: "Fair thee well 'till we meet again"

oic: "Understanding has struck me like cannon fire"

There are also some game unique shortcuts that are happening:

ptb: "Permission to board..."
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[Mar 11, 2005 5:29:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

Yeah, but you can only see "What in the seven seas!?" so many times before it looks dumb. At least acronyms are small and translate in your head.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shanoyu at Mar 11, 2005 5:32:24 AM]
[Mar 11, 2005 5:32:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Please piratify "u" - this may be hard to do, but isolated "u" without any dots or dashes should go to "ye".

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 11, 2005 5:32:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

scupperer wrote: 
There are certain internet new-speak terms that have crept into common usage that would piratify well.

cya: "We shall meet again"
l8r: "until the morrow"

cya l8r: "Fair thee well 'till we meet again"

There are also some game unique shortcuts that are happening:

Heh. These are great, and I can't think of many instances where you'd type these things without meaning them in this way. The only one that comes to mind is that "CYA" can also be used to suggest that you should "Cover Your Booty."
[Mar 11, 2005 5:33:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

homullus wrote: 
The only one that comes to mind is that "CYA" can also be used to suggest that you should "Cover Your Booty."

Uhh... do you hear people say that often when they see you? Someone had to..
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Mar 11, 2005 5:35:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Rmarsbar wrote: 
homullus wrote: 
The only one that comes to mind is that "CYA" can also be used to suggest that you should "Cover Your Booty."

Uhh... do you hear people say that often when they see you? Someone had to..

*My* booty needs its own display case. I was speaking on behalf of others.
[Mar 11, 2005 5:36:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

scupperer wrote: 

The Permission to board have set me to be the Understanding has struck me like cannon fire for this pillage.

(I read 'ptb' as 'powers that be')

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
Please piratify "u" - this may be hard to do, but isolated "u" without any dots or dashes should go to "ye".

I went to the ye W for college.
[Mar 11, 2005 5:43:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jon_doe889

You can change them as much as you want. But new ones just keep coming...
<3 Snowglobe

Captain of the wimpy Vagabonds crew
PvP me. :D
[Mar 11, 2005 5:46:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

jon_doe889 wrote: 
You can change them as much as you want. But new ones just keep coming...

zomg
uur
urr
assl? (age sex sexiness and location?)
olo
iamo
= )

The last three courtesy of the infamous and amazing Romedawggggggg
His Holiness, The Dope
[Mar 11, 2005 5:47:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Akkhima

shagie wrote: 
Piplicus_BNO wrote: 

I went to the ye W for college.

you don't say "I went to the U W for college", you say "I went to the UW for college, and as said here, only isolated U would be changed.

However, you might say "I went to the U of R" or other such letter, which would trigger it. *sigh* complicated.
Akkhima
[Mar 11, 2005 5:48:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.otaku-chan.com    akkhima    CrystallineAkkhi [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Filters that you cannot set get kind of annoying. I still don't see why each person can't be able to set their own.
[Mar 11, 2005 6:01:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

Shanoyu wrote: 

olo
iamo
= )

The last three courtesy of the infamous and amazing Romedawggggggg

You jerk. Rome is ( =, not the ugly = )
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Mar 11, 2005 6:19:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dvarin

Speaking of filters--
Could we modify the "ty" one a bit, so that an adjacent apostrophe doesn't cause it to be replaced? T and Y are next to each other on the keyboard, and a lot of times when typing quickly I'll hit both by accident without noticing.

I've had "don'ty do that" or such translated to "don'Thank ye do that" a couple times now, and once I completely puzzled myself and others with my references to the flag "Thank ye'rs Own", because I kept mistyping "Tyr's" as "Ty'rs". Of course, the more I got annoyed by this, the more frequent the mistype became...
[size=10]Saben
Some Random Pirate (over a Gaussian distribution)
[Mar 11, 2005 6:20:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

i've heard OIC used in-game as officer in command, so strike that one off the list.

i would also like to see the initial cap taken off of Thank ye, as i find it very annoying to see "yes that would be great, Thank ye very much"
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Mar 11, 2005 7:35:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

While we're at it, would it be possible to disallow ALL CAPS CREW/FLAG NAMES? They're supremely annoying to read. StUfF lIkE tHiS is also on my pet peeve list, but I don't know of a good regex that could catch alternating case issues, because people aren't strict about alternating between cases sometimes.
[Mar 11, 2005 7:54:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
zoip

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 

I realized I was going the wrong way so I made a ye turn.
drstupid wrote: 
If [your argument] is "good enough" for you, then having the reanimated corpse of Ludwig Wittgenstein throttle you in your sleep is too good for you.

[Mar 11, 2005 11:30:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shark2bait

If the filters are set it might take one or 2 miscomunications that happen for each using the short cuts, but they will learn what the short cuts mean in the game and change thier method of typing to get the message they want to come across (in other words have them have to spell out any thing different than what is set by the filter)
[Mar 11, 2005 12:21:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

If you get rid of all capital flag names i'll lose half my pvp targets.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Mar 11, 2005 1:34:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

Shanoyu wrote: 
If you get rid of all capital flag names i'll lose half my pvp targets.

hehehe
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Mar 11, 2005 3:56:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
macaonghais

Since we have ty (Thank ye)...

Why is it that we don't have tyvm (Thank ye very much) Or for that matter; yw (Yer welcome)? Or yvw (Yer very welcome)? Or ymw (Yer most welcome)?

I use these often and it is amusing that ty is there and yw isn't.

There is also...

gtg = "yarr! I must be leavin now"

ttyl = "I'll twist yer ear on another occasion"

ttfn = "until we meet again"
MacAonghais of that Ilk,
Midnight Captain/ ~ Order of the Claymore ~
Cobalt SO/ ~ Haggis Hunters ~
[Mar 12, 2005 3:27:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates