• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1688 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
geramul

Supplying ships with rum and cannonballs Reply to this Post

my friend said i need 10 rum for about 30 small cannon balls, im gonna get a war brig and of course it dosent use small cannon balls, so how many rum would i need for say 210 cann balls? < ps if she can even carry that muc>

[size=9]I changed your title to be more explainatory. Please note that it's impolite to say "please read" in a post title, as people will read a thread anyway, and they don't appreciate being told to. Thanks! -Diamondblade
[Feb 23, 2005 8:38:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Re: Supplying ships with rum and cannonballs Reply to this Post

The amount of rum and shot you carry are independent of each other, but they both depend on the type of ship and what purpose you intend to use it for. For a war brig, try 50 rum, 50 medium shot.

However, being in charge of a war brig is a very challenging task - start small with a sloop and work your way up - as a new officer, you probably shouldn't be sailing a large ship by yourself.
[Feb 23, 2005 8:40:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

My typical pillage hiring jobbers I probably use (not stock) 20 rum and 60-70 shots in war brig. 4 leagues with greenies that usually does you just fine, and you'll fight maybe 5-6 battles.

If the majority of those on the boat are good, and I'm well staffed, I go 50 rum and upwards of 150 cannonballs.

There's a large range depending on how long between porting and how slow you are. Fighting sailors you'll hardly need to shoot. Liz's number is a good safe number for the average.

Edit -- she edited it, I wouldn't go as low as 50 medium cannonballs, but if you are smart with them, you could get by with that just fine.
----------------------------------------
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Flak_88 at Feb 23, 2005 8:44:59 AM]
[Feb 23, 2005 8:44:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
geramul

ty all i think i will start small with a sloop, but is there any accurate way to tell how many rum i need? since u 2 can do it very well, i mean calculate how much i need for sy 100 small cannon balls
[Feb 23, 2005 8:47:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

Rum goes by the people on your boat and how long they're on the boat, not by how many shots you fire. It also depends on what rank the people are. About 1 rum every 10 minutes for an officer, I think?
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[Feb 23, 2005 8:52:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

Rum use is time based, cannonball use is based on how many battles you get in and how well you shoot, think of the 2 independently.

Having more people on your ship uses more rum, so base it on how many people and how long you intend to pillage. Having more people usually doesn't cause you to use more cannonballs (other than you spawn larger ships), base that on how much you shoot and how many battles are typical.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Feb 23, 2005 8:53:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Repeating: the amount of rum you take depends on how far you'll be sailing. The amount of shot you take depends on how much you'll be shooting. You don't calculate how much rum to bring based on how much shot to use.

My advice for new officers sailing a sloop is probably 15 rum, 20 small shot. Scale up the shot as you get more experienced, and need to use it in order to defeat brigands.
[Feb 23, 2005 8:53:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Akkhima

Look at your route... how many league points will you be travelling? Make sure you have at least one rum per league point on your sloop, and you'll probably be ok. Of course, if you're taking a bigger ship and more people, you'll need more rum, but get good with your sloop first, and by the time it will matter, you'll have a better feel for how much you need.
Akkhima
[Feb 23, 2005 8:57:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.otaku-chan.com    akkhima    CrystallineAkkhi [Link]  Go to top 
geramul

oooooo ok i get it now it was all very confseing but i get it now thx all for the help:D
[Feb 23, 2005 9:08:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dale7

OK I'll jump into this one myself. On a NORMAL sloop pillage I leave port with 40 Rum and 150 CB's. Why so many? Because I usually take a bunch of greenies out with their SF ratings I like to make sure I max out everything I battle. (plus i'm Trigger happy /me LIKES guns) and The rum because I'm a drunk. LOL But my pillages are normally from Heph Forge to Heph Forge by way of Namath, Rhyno, Lam and Xi. so it's a LONG run. Greenies come and greenies go but I don't port until I get back to Heph Forge. And before it's said As long as they work and don't leave in battle the greenies get their full share. It gets Banked on Heph Forge for them.
Fullboat Senor Officer- Gods of War - Retired -Midnight
Semi-retired CCC member
Violet Pirate Captain: Happy Shiney Bunny Brigade

Venom flag officer chats, "Suranthae will eat your babies
[Feb 23, 2005 9:13:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Dale7champ94@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

for a sloop, i usually stock it with 25 fine rum and about a hundred small cbs for a 2 or 3 hour pillage. i've never run out of rum, but i have run out of cbs...... /me eats cbs for breakfast.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Feb 23, 2005 11:13:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

350-400 Med shot, 100 Rum. But I go out for 3-5 hours at a time.
[Feb 23, 2005 2:11:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sophonax

Start small and work up. If you are a new officer, it is probably a decidedly bad idea to stock 40 rum and 100 shot, simply because if (when) you lose battles learning to nav, the rum and shot losses will be expensive. It could also mean you actually LOSE money over the entire pillage.

Start simple, with maybe 10 rum and 20 cannon balls. As you get better, increase the rum/shot levels, go out for longer and attack stronger ships. Only when you rarely lose should you consider stocking 40/100. When you battle imps, you will need it ;)
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathkow

me Reply to this Post

I usually keep 8-10 rum on hand and 20 cannonballs on a sloop.

But then again, I normally sail duo with my GF on short runs. I keep the numbers low because the less you have on board, the less you have to lose if you lose a fight.

We the the cutter out if we have 3-4 people, and I try for 15 rum / 30 cannonballs. Usually don't have any trouble with that and relatively short/quick runs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
'Tis but a scratch!
[Feb 23, 2005 9:55:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ocayenne    beorin002    237765495 [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

Re: me Reply to this Post

deathkow wrote: 
But then again, I normally sail duo with my GF on short runs. I keep the numbers low because the less you have on board, the less you have to lose if you lose a fight.

I thought you meant Grand Frigate :P

15 rum and 20-30 shot for a sloop sounds about right for someone who's starting out. When you get a better feel for rum/shot usage, you can adjust accordingly to make sure that you are not losing too much on restocking costs. There's not much point overstocking a ship with 50 rum 100 cballs if it's only going to be a short run. This is because if you lose a battle, you'll lose the 10% in the hold and this will eat into your profits.
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Feb 23, 2005 10:46:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

geramul wrote: 
oh, ok i get it now. it was all very confusing, but i get it now. thanks all for the help. :D

-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Feb 23, 2005 10:47:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
greyed

Just another data point.

I started out with 25R/45S on my sloop runs around Emerald. I've since dropped that down to 15R/45S and may drop that lower since I made a successful solo run from Spring to Heph in about 5 rum with no shot.

Just got me first cutter and outfitted it with 25R/60S. That's likely to be scaled as I get more experience with the additional guns and higher crew.
[Feb 23, 2005 11:33:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates